12/18/08 11:10 PM
12/18/08 11:10 PM
Essex, Ont., Canada
Fishmarket Offline
enthusiast
Fishmarket  Offline
enthusiast

Essex, Ont., Canada
I did mine on a surface grinder. Put the caps on together and made a nice flat, all to the same height... I think I ended up taking less than .030" to get them all even IIRC. I surface ground all of the spotfaces at the same time (only took about .015" to make them all the same on mine). Using solid hardened shims too.
Its winter... what else are you gonna do with your time?

1972 Plymouth Cuda 340 4 speed 1971 Plymouth Road Runner 383 Auto 1970 Plymouth Duster /6 Auto
Re: Hughes small block engine girdle [Re: Hughes] #168466
12/18/08 11:42 PM
12/18/08 11:42 PM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline OP
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline OP
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
Quote:

Kasey,
I would say that over half of the ones we sell get put on by guys at home without a mahcine shop. Anything that ties the caps together will help. We like this better than the 4 bolt cross bolt mains. Drilling and notching for the crossbolts weakens the block about as much as the 2 extra bolts help it. We have had very good luck running the girdles on the small blocks. Several have dyno's well over 600HP and are still running strong with of sign of cap walk.
If you need any help installing it you can call us anytime,
Merry Christmas!
Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Im really impressed with the quality. Super nice piece!!

You guys have been great, Im glad for the good service.

kasey

Re: Hughes small block engine girdle [Re: Moparnut426] #168467
12/19/08 03:52 PM
12/19/08 03:52 PM
West Coast, CA
T
Troy Offline
master
Troy  Offline
master
T

West Coast, CA
I'm no engineer but I'm pretty good at what I do...

With that being said, when I see most of the girdles that are out on the market to me the only thing that your stabilizing is the main studs. There is no "triangulation" going on with the main cap and the block.

Now.....If there was a bolt going through the girdle and it threads into the top of the main cap itself.....now you have triangulation and stability.....everything is tied together and sound.

It seems like most caps break....like the ones that I pictures above....at the 8 o'clock position. A 5/16" drilled hole at the 6 o'clock position is not a week area. Many of the after market caps already have a taped whole for a slide hammer to aide in removal.

This is just my

....there is nothing like driving my 1968 Hemi Dart around town and having people looking at you like you're nuts!!
Re: Hughes small block engine girdle [Re: Troy] #168468
12/19/08 04:01 PM
12/19/08 04:01 PM
Arlington, Tx.
B
BJS racing Offline
top fuel
BJS racing  Offline
top fuel
B

Arlington, Tx.
Quote:

I'm no engineer but I'm pretty good at what I do...

With that being said, when I see most of the girdles that are out on the market to me the only thing that your stabilizing is the main studs. There is no "triangulation" going on with the main cap and the block.

Now.....If there was a bolt going through the girdle and it threads into the top of the main cap itself.....now you have triangulation and stability.....everything is tied together and sound.

It seems like most caps break....like the ones that I pictures above....at the 8 o'clock position. A 5/16" drilled hole at the 6 o'clock position is not a week area. Many of the after market caps already have a taped whole for a slide hammer to aide in removal.

This is just my

I'm no engineer either but I have thought the same thing for a long time. There is still the ability for friction with the current set ups that are our there like Hughes or anyone elses.

Back in the swing of things at Painless again! Great to be back!
Page 2 of 2 1 2