Stuart, FL
G
Grassosgarage Offline OP
mopar
Grassosgarage  Offline OP
mopar
G

Stuart, FL
Anyone have trouble with this or one of these aftermarket power boosters not working well? I installed this kit on a customer's Cuda formerly with drum brakes. The brakes work well, but there seems to be no power assist. There seems to be no adjustment on the rod between the m/c and booster. Is there a difference between E body manual and power brake pedals that would change the ratio? All my other Mopars with power brakes want to put your face through the widshield, and this does not feel right.

'70 Cuda 440/auto
'70 Duster 340/4sp project
'70 Satellite convert 318 survivor
Re: ssbc disc to drum conversion [Re: Grassosgarage] #168443
12/16/08 11:31 AM
12/16/08 11:31 AM
Sacramento, CA
B
Bdrainy Offline
mopar
Bdrainy  Offline
mopar
B

Sacramento, CA
I used their kit on my 70 road runner. I had the same problem you are having. The brakes worked ok under normal braking, but I could not "panic stop" at all.

I ended up ditching the booster and master cylinder that came with the kit. They are both off a 70's corvette and the booster is a single diaphram. I ended up using a 15/16" bore master cylinder from a 73 dart with disc brakes and a booster for a 70 road runner with disc brakes. Those are the dual diaphram boosters. Now the brakes work perfectly!

Don't know why but I could not get the brakes to work well at all with the supplied booster and M/C...

Brian

Re: ssbc disc to drum conversion [Re: Grassosgarage] #168444
12/16/08 05:24 PM
12/16/08 05:24 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
The booster and master supplied is basically the same as Master Power's set up, toss it!......the dual diaphram is the only way to go as Brian mentioned, however the Bendix dual diaphrams only use on an E body was the offset HEMI application in 70-1,.....if looks an "originality/ correctness" in the engine compartment are required, the standard Chrysler/ Midland Ross "pancake", single diaphram booster, with a disc/ drum master with a 1" or smaller bore will produce about 1000-1200 PSI to the front lines( and approx 800 psi to the rear) if your running SSBC single piston caliper, or a stock 70-4 pin type caliper, the Bendix Dual diaphram will produce approx 1500 psi to the front, and 1000 psi to the rear,......you didn't state if this was a 2 or 4 wheel conversion, if you've done a 4 wheel SSBC conversion, eliminate(remove) the proportioning valve, run the rear line directly off the master, the front lines, substitute a brake Tee to "tee" the front lines off to both wheels, and use a MOPAR Disc/ Drum master......

if you still have the rear drums, use the correct disc/ drum master, as well as the correct disc/ drum proportioning valve

I've done the above mentioned mods to quite a few customers cars, as was as to mine, tested the systems with flow and pressure equipment thru the system, as well as individual wheel tests simutainiously.....I've logged tens of thousands of miles on the roads, as well as track time, not one faliure!.....I wouldn't recommend something I haven't performed myself

4883168-0000a.jpg (70 downloads)