Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
I have a couple of questions about venting my crankcase.
Details; 499" street/strip, 270* solid cam, 11:1, ported Eddies, 727, 3.91s, 3" exhaust.
Is a pcv to the intake the best way? I tried the header kit, but it didn't work too well. Which brings me to another question; The instructions with the kit said to put the tubes in the headers with the opening parallel to the exhaust flow. But it seemed to me that the opening should be pointing towards the rear of the car, creating a low pressure area. How do you install the opening into the header? There is a little back pressure (the mufflers are straight thru) but not alot. Would changing the direction that the opening faces in the exhaust help much? What is the preferred way to evac the crankcase on a street/strip car with full exhaust? I don't really have a problem with my pcv set-up now, I just don't like dumping the crankcase (oil) vapors into the intake stream. Or is that of no consequence?
Thanks!

Master, again and still
Re: Need help with crankcase evac. [Re: DaveRS23] #167743
12/14/08 11:16 PM
12/14/08 11:16 PM
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Magnum Offline
master
Magnum  Offline
master

Hamilton, Ontario Canada
The header evacutation system works well when the tubes are installed correctly. This is usually done with 2 tubes making vacuum in the crankcase. Not a true evacuation.

The PCV valve plus a breather is a true exchange of air. Fresh air in the passenger side. Vapours out the driver's side.

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super
Re: Need help with crankcase evac. [Re: DaveRS23] #167744
12/15/08 11:51 AM
12/15/08 11:51 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

But it seemed to me that the opening should be pointing towards the rear of the car, creating a low pressure area. How do you install the opening into the header? There is a little back pressure (the mufflers are straight thru) but not alot. Would changing the direction that the opening faces in the exhaust help much? What is the preferred way to evac the crankcase on a street/strip car with full exhaust? I don't really have a problem with my pcv set-up now, I just don't like dumping the crankcase (oil) vapors into the intake stream. Or is that of no consequence? Thanks!

I'm with you on this. If there's backpressure in your new line it isn't going to evacuate. I would slant the nipple towards the rear to get it to draw a vacuum & maybe slice the extension that's in the exhaust stream like a hypodermic needle. I would think that the instructions to put a bung in at 90 degrees would be for an ex sensor rather than an evac system

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Need help with crankcase evac. [Re: DaveRS23] #167745
12/15/08 12:46 PM
12/15/08 12:46 PM
Lost and Spaced
B
bboogieart Offline
master
bboogieart  Offline
master
B

Lost and Spaced
The instructions with the kit said to put the tubes in the headers with the opening parallel to the exhaust flow.
This means that you would install the tubes in the same direction as the exhaust pipe not at a right angle as with the ox sensor.
For a street car I would go with the pcv system.
Not a problem.