09/25/14 05:46 AM
09/25/14 05:46 AM
USA MO
C
cdoublejj Offline OP
cdoublejj  Offline OP
C

USA MO
So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to go around corners?

Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: cdoublejj] #1676699
09/25/14 11:21 AM
09/25/14 11:21 AM
Massachusetts
S
Sneke_Eyez Offline
enthusiast
Sneke_Eyez  Offline
enthusiast
S

Massachusetts
Quote:

Nope. Heck, I'm even trying to make a wagon handle!
There's also www.protouringmopar.com which may be relevant to your interests, though moparts is more active.

1969 Satellite Wagon - G3 Hemi Swap Incoming. | 1969 Coronet Post Coupe.
2002 Intrepid ES | 2009 Ram SLT | 2004 300M Special | 2002 300M Pro Am - Hers

Are you a New England Mopar Enthusiast?
Come check out the revived NorthEast Mighty Mopar at www.northeastmightymopar.com
!
Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: Sneke_Eyez] #1676700
09/26/14 01:18 AM
09/26/14 01:18 AM
USA MO
C
cdoublejj Offline OP
cdoublejj  Offline OP
C

USA MO
Quote:

Quote:

Nope. Heck, I'm even trying to make a wagon handle!
There's also www.protouringmopar.com which may be relevant to your interests, though moparts is more active.

Oh nice! Thanks for the info! I plan to go for a pro touring style mopar man it's nice to think i'm not the only one. any my friend and family keep telling me to put it back together stock and have no idea about this car and think stock is good enough and that i'm crazy and have no idea what i'm talking about.

Sometimes i feel like a one man army. I try to explain to them that they aren't the only gear heads in existence and the internet allows for some amazing communication and that technology has given people a lot more after market options but, i'm just the naive 25 year old.

imagine my small small glimmer of hope when i saw this section.

Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: cdoublejj] #1676701
09/26/14 02:01 AM
09/26/14 02:01 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Welcome aboard!. Yeah, there are some of us out there. What car do you have? What are your hopes, expectations, or things you're currently working on?

Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: cdoublejj] #1676702
09/26/14 02:02 AM
09/26/14 02:02 AM
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal
Stock sucks!

73 `Cuda
Instagram: @rylispro
YouTube: RylisPro
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: RylisPro] #1676703
09/26/14 12:26 PM
09/26/14 12:26 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Some of us have been interested in Mopars that handle well for a long time (even some of us who stuff big blocks in A-bodies).

Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: Sneke_Eyez] #1676704
09/26/14 12:50 PM
09/26/14 12:50 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

Quote:

Not only is there protouringmopar.com, but also lateral-g.net, and corner-carvers.com. Obviously the later two are all brand forums which have their own pros/cons for a mopar owner. There is also the Yahoo club account of mopax, which is a membership forum of dedicated autocross and road track mopar owners and Moparchat which has a very active mopar oval track forum.

Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: RylisPro] #1676705
09/26/14 02:17 PM
09/26/14 02:17 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
Quote:

Stock sucks!

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1676706
09/26/14 09:14 PM
09/26/14 09:14 PM
USA MO
C
cdoublejj Offline OP
cdoublejj  Offline OP
C

USA MO
Well it's family air loom that was bought sometime in the 70s. It's 1970 Coronet R/T. It has at for longer than I have been alive. However aside from some surface rust on the passenger side door it's been sitting primer and has had most of the body work done it's waiting for fresh primer and paint.

People have wanted to see us put it together for sometime. I however don't want to have to take it all back apart to the bare frame right after i put it together.

The thing is i want a daily driver that can take on events like the Silver State classic and some cornering.

I have seen some high end chassis like shwarts sells but,s that out of my budget. However if id 1 piece at time i could do it.

My basic "formula" looks something like this....

http://store.uscartool.com/b-body-chassis-stiffening-kit.html

+

http://www.magnumforce.com/magnumstore/shop/item.aspx?itemid=136

+

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=XP-777

I feel that would be a great start, and i wouldn't have to take the car all the way back apart.

The icing on the cake if i could afford it would be IRS kit by either Heidts or Art Morrison. ( I have heard IFS and or IRS work better when matched together.

and the cherry on top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMrK3CuZTkg

http://www.nmcadigital.com/2014/01/25/viking-performance-berserker-asm-shock/

(nothing new but, higher end cars like Mercedes having been using them for years, helps soak up bumps and what not)[5k usd for a set of 4]

I'm more concerned with the car than engine right now because you need a car to put the engine in to. I have heard really good things about all the products listed above and have done research about how they work and why or why not they are worth getting.

One of the biggest things i have heard about IRS aside form improved handle due to separate articulation tires/wheels is that it improves ride quality which sounds really good for something that might very be a daily driver.

The rear and end cool shocks would have to be done the road the Transformer front end would require me to save quite a bit.

I get a lot of [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] for wanting an update suspension. I've read some back and forth on forums is, yes you can tune the factory suspension but, there is reason they move to dependent suspension on the newer stuff.

Oh yeah i heard a few people say the US car tool stiffen kit made a night day difference for them. From what i under stand part of the cars handling actually comes form the flexibility of the unibody ..sorta kinda. My Nissan maxima does the same thing/has the same problem when people start stiffening the sub frames in thier 2001-2003 maxima they reported a better ride quality and notable difference.

I has to do with removing the flex in the body and offloading that to the actually suspension but, that's kind of a dumbed down explain it like i'm 5 years old way of saying it. Regardless metal only has so much flex and bend in it before it gives, not unlike bending paper clip.

I think that given what i have seen form other stiffened cars ...rather heard and the US cartool users/buyers comments it would help and complement suspension upgrades.

And of course i heard painless wiring harnesses were joke and heard good stuff about Ron Francis and low behold do they not only have kit a they have a deluxe kit with life time warranty as long as the car is on the road. Life warranty and 500-600 bucks put me down because i'd like some creature comforts like stereo and maybe heated seats and what not. EASY! Gotta learn to walk before can fly, 1 thing at time, frame first but, it's nice to dream and plan ahead.

The engine would really make things expensive i guess that would be redone later and put together with what we have but, i'm looking at BCR griddle and 440cource forged crank.

That would make 1 nice beef lower end that should have to be redone, pair that with solid rods and smooth dished/reverse domed pistons with a twin turbo setup and you would have 1 lean mean son of [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]. Those dished piston make great torq with forced induction.

Some really smart friends of mine have played with turbos and with the research i have done it's tooooooo expensive, makes great power and i hear they are making good progress in the turbo world, Honeywell made a newer turbo circa 2010-2012 that was 10-15% efficient than standard, suffice to say Turbos are especially twin turbo can give more than supercharger since supercharges top out on the power band vs having small turbo or smaller turbo and a bigger turbo for the low and high sides of the power band.

You can even run turbos with carbs these days. IF you get EFI and get the RIGHT EFI kit you can even get traction controls kits but,im
probably talking WAAAYYYY out of my budget. That's why for now i want to stick with USCarTool stiffening kit, harness and Transformer K memeber.

Then the important bits that require welding and grinding on the painted bits would be done and paint could be done and wiring would be in place. Then alter other stuff like IRS wouldn't matter cause that doesn't go in pretty places with all body and paint work. On top that she would be ready to accept and engine and trans.

Of course the trans is another who thing of research and money and what not.

OH yeah i plant to keep it stock looking except for wheel and side scoops which were removed years and years ago it was side swiped.

People probably think i talk a lot.

Last edited by cdoublejj; 09/26/14 09:16 PM.
Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: cdoublejj] #1676707
09/27/14 05:36 AM
09/27/14 05:36 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Several of us here have played with turbos. Some systems take a little more work to build than others but there are plenty of them out there.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: feets] #1676708
09/27/14 09:20 AM
09/27/14 09:20 AM
USA MO
C
cdoublejj Offline OP
cdoublejj  Offline OP
C

USA MO
THAT'S AWESOME!!! IS there a place I can see more pictures?

Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: cdoublejj] #1676709
09/27/14 02:00 PM
09/27/14 02:00 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

THAT'S AWESOME!!! IS there a place I can see more pictures?

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0711phr_1965_plymouth_belvedere/

Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1676710
09/27/14 02:12 PM
09/27/14 02:12 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Btw... member 66Charger (I believe) is running the Silver State in his, you guessed it, '66 Charger. Pretty cool vehicle.

Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: cdoublejj] #1676711
09/29/14 12:25 PM
09/29/14 12:25 PM
Massachusetts
S
Sneke_Eyez Offline
enthusiast
Sneke_Eyez  Offline
enthusiast
S

Massachusetts
Holy cow, you type in a very "stream of consciousness" fashion. Makes your post tough to read.

I'm glad you're psyched about your Coronet - that will be one heck of a rare car to see handling. I like it!

Sounds like you have some good plans for it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything that Magnumforce makes based on several people's install experiences, but you do what you like.

Also, you'd be pretty surprised what these cars will do with the right factory style suspension setup - which will cost less than just a bolt in front coilover kit.

Nothing wrong with coilover kits, though, if you have the money. That's my biggest issue - seeing the value of a coilover kit versus the other upgrades available to the stock suspension setup.

Come check out the revived NorthEast Mighty Mopar at www.northeastmightymopar.com
!
Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: Sneke_Eyez] #1676712
09/29/14 09:45 PM
09/29/14 09:45 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Welcome, this might give you some inspiration? My favourite coronet/superbee!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hueyrWWyne0

Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: brads70] #1676713
09/30/14 12:48 AM
09/30/14 12:48 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
I like mine stock looking (up to a point, gotta have better wheels/tires and exhaust). The attached recent pic looks like a stock '70 318 car except for wheels/tires and exhaust... but packs a 496 and 5 speed.

I too started with the frame/chassis/suspension... and brakes. Good move to stiffen up the frame with frame connectors first. There are several choices but US Cartool sounds like a good one. It takes some time with a cutter and MIG to get any of these these right.

A far as suspension, a modded T bar setup has a number of advantages including lower un-sprung weight, service parts availability and all weather capability... not to mention great performance. I won't run mine in the winter salt but do run it X country with whatever that brings including rain, T storms and cross wind.

As far as brakes, I consider some form of front disc minimum for use today. They can be mid-70's OE or better but 4 wheel drums just are not safe if the guy in front has discs or if you are running at speed and need to stop more than once.

Good luck!

Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: ahy] #1676714
09/30/14 11:45 AM
09/30/14 11:45 AM
USA MO
C
cdoublejj Offline OP
cdoublejj  Offline OP
C

USA MO
Quote:

I like mine stock looking (up to a point, gotta have better wheels/tires and exhaust). The attached recent pic looks like a stock '70 318 car except for wheels/tires and exhaust... but packs a 496 and 5 speed.

I too started with the frame/chassis/suspension... and brakes. Good move to stiffen up the frame with frame connectors first. There are several choices but US Cartool sounds like a good one. It takes some time with a cutter and MIG to get any of these these right.

A far as suspension, a modded T bar setup has a number of advantages including lower un-sprung weight, service parts availability and all weather capability... not to mention great performance. I won't run mine in the winter salt but do run it X country with whatever that brings including rain, T storms and cross wind.

As far as brakes, I consider some form of front disc minimum for use today. They can be mid-70's OE or better but 4 wheel drums just are not safe if the guy in front has discs or if you are running at speed and need to stop more than once.

Good luck!

why a cutter? it's laser cut to fit the floor pans. i'd reckon a sheet metal hammer to deal with high and low spots and a TIG or MIG to lay bead. I did wonder about holes through pan for plug welds from the top.

Any reasons that parts i'm looking at can't be run all weather?

if a tweaked stock style setup can wrestle with Independent suspension what can a tweaked Independent suspension setup do?

I'm genuinely asking here.

Man that's one mean green machine.

Still interested in the comment on the Magnum Force stuff.

I think the hardest part of all of this is working day and night to get the funds to get this project rolling. ....Guys, I need a JOB!

EDIT: my car is front Discs but, i want ALL Disc. at how many pounds is is a B body? at over 100mph one might want some stopping power and good traction.

Last edited by cdoublejj; 09/30/14 11:48 AM.
Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: cdoublejj] #1676715
09/30/14 12:12 PM
09/30/14 12:12 PM
Massachusetts
S
Sneke_Eyez Offline
enthusiast
Sneke_Eyez  Offline
enthusiast
S

Massachusetts
Quote:

Quote:

Good luck!

why a cutter? it's laser cut to fit the floor pans. i'd reckon a sheet metal hammer to deal with high and low spots and a TIG or MIG to lay bead. I did wonder about holes through pan for plug welds from the top.

Any reasons that parts i'm looking at can't be run all weather?

if a tweaked stock style setup can wrestle with Independent suspension what can a tweaked Independent suspension setup do?

I'm genuinely asking here.

Man that's one mean green machine.

Still interested in the comment on the Magnum Force stuff.

I think the hardest part of all of this is working day and night to get the funds to get this project rolling. ....Guys, I need a JOB!

EDIT: my car is front Discs but, i want ALL Disc. at how many pounds is is a B body? at over 100mph one might want some stopping power and good traction.

A tweaked independent setup will be fine, but it is going to run you more $$$ than a torsion bar system which will do more than you're giving it credit for.

If I make big bucks someday I will likely build a car with an RMS or Art Morrison set up, but I'm not at that income level yet, so for my 69 Satellite wagon I am sticking with torsion bars and adding the parts to the car that will make it handle well with that setup.

And on the Magnum Force stuff - do some research, you'll see what I mean. I have heard and looked personally at a local guy's car who used a Magnum Force setup versus his brother who used an RMS - and I know which one I would use, that's for sure.

The main thing I would tell you is to educate yourself about suspensions and suspension setups for these cars as much as you can since you don't have any experience with suspension in one of these.
That can be done by reading this forum and some other forums, reading mags like Mopar Action, as well as checking out pricing and availability of parts from places like Hotchkis, Firm Feel, Riley Motorsports (RMS), etc.

!
Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: Sneke_Eyez] #1676716
10/02/14 09:46 PM
10/02/14 09:46 PM
dracut mass usa
S
sparcy Offline
enthusiast
sparcy  Offline
enthusiast
S

dracut mass usa
I don't know how deep your pockets r , coil over stuff expensive !! u can make the factory stuff handle great !! planing, matching parts lots of thought u can do it !! IM very happy with my 69 charger !! still improving and giving it love !! thats what we call it !! I have taken down wrxs corvetts mazarottyies haha !! 147mph hot rod now going efi with a pro charger !! magnum force bad bad people they took my money and sold me the wrong parts for my car and would not take them back !! then yeld at me on the phone !! firm feel , hotchkiss are great people !! if you r from mass u can come by any time !! I have 2 b bodes its free to look and listen . its my passion !! I make a liven runN 8000 horse power !! WAHOOOO !!!

IF YOU ARE NOT WRECKING STUFF YOU ARE NOT LEARNING !
Re: So I'm not the only Mopar head who wants to.... [Re: sparcy] #1676717
10/03/14 09:42 AM
10/03/14 09:42 AM
USA MO
C
cdoublejj Offline OP
cdoublejj  Offline OP
C

USA MO
Interesting.

checked out RMS they have a product, https://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16183&cat=269&page=1

A little weak on details but, your comments are definitely not falling on deaf ears. lots to take in here.

Seeing as i'm not paying bills i was hoping if i could land a job i could maybe save enough to buy an IFS kit maybe sans brakes or something stuff i can buy later and get the most important bits on.

The car certainly isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

as far as googling about the magnum force stuff what key words should i google? i just want to be an informed buyer.