09/17/14 01:25 PM
09/17/14 01:25 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
Yeah Mike they were strapped to the truck.

Larson did it to make the point "You want unlimited, I'll show it to you". He changed doors from Carbon Fiber doors with no mirrors and no roll down window to stock doors with roll up and down windows and stock mirrors.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: Bad340fish] #1672271
09/17/14 01:34 PM
09/17/14 01:34 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
there is drama on facebook about Drag Week.

There was a dually in DD with a trailer. LOL

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: Bad340fish] #1672272
09/17/14 01:39 PM
09/17/14 01:39 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Yeah Mike they were strapped to the truck.

Larson did it to make the point "You want unlimited, I'll show it to you". He changed doors from Carbon Fiber doors with no mirrors and no roll down window to stock doors with roll up and down windows and stock mirrors.

Ok.. so it was just to make a statement.. I didnt
understand that.... when I built my SMALL trailer
I tried to engineer it to do MULTIPLE things.. I went
with a slide out for ease of getting to things and
I pit a vise on a stanchion tat slides into the spare
tire mount, has a umbrella mount for a bit of shade,
the rear center light slides in and is also flipped
over for the tail support for the trailer and the slide
out so it doesnt tip up when slid out.. its enclosed
for water tight and the length of the over all is
JUST short enough to stand it up on end in my big
trailer so its sorta out of the way.. it still has
enough tongue length that if I were to jack knife
it on backing up the box cant get into the 1/4
panel of the truck and will just hit the bumper

8272902-003.JPG (99 downloads)
Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 09/17/14 01:40 PM.
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1672273
09/17/14 01:42 PM
09/17/14 01:42 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Closed up for travel mode

8272909-001.JPG (95 downloads)
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1672274
09/17/14 02:00 PM
09/17/14 02:00 PM
jersey
S
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
The truck was built with sponsorship money from Bangshift.
Larry did this because he was always against where the class was headed with pro mods on the street. So he decided to build one and beat them at their own game so to speak.

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: sixpackgut] #1672275
09/17/14 02:32 PM
09/17/14 02:32 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
To me the trailers are a non issue. Who cares what you bring with you as long as the trailer meets the rules. Why does it matter if you pull it with a Volkswagen or a Dually. I would much rather just "unhook" as "unload". People complain about the "Unlimited" cars with pro-jacks and what have you. So what. Those cars sit 4" off the ground. The jacks are much more practical than a floor jack which you can't get under one of those cars anyway. So you bring pro-jacks or a bunch of pit ramps, a floor jack and jack stands.......whats the diff. Either is a lot of stuff to pack and pull with your race/street car.

The guy with the dually.................My bet is he originally entered another car in another class and had his trailer all fixed up. So instead of changing his plan, he just hooked the trailer and went........why not? I would have done the same. He has as much rite to pull a trailer as anybody else. It's allowed.

They give an award for "quickest without a trailer" but I have never heard anybody say "man I really want to win that".............non issue.

I can go to the beach with all my stuff in a lunchbox, IF I HAVE TO. But if I am allowed to carry more to be more comfortable I will. Suffering for a week because you carried the very minimum you can cram in your car is YOUR FAULT.............While Drag Week could easily be renamed "Suffering Week", the rules don't say you HAVE TO. Yeah, I going to take a tent, some food, some coolers, some chairs and whatever else I can to make the trip more pleasant. Not sure what anybody thinks they are proving by wearing the same clothes for a week, starving, sweating their azz off and working with a crescent wrench and channel locks. How does any of that prove you have more of a street car than anyone else. Daily drivers break down everyday. That's why the doors open and close on dealership service bays.

Monte

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: Monte_Smith] #1672276
09/17/14 02:43 PM
09/17/14 02:43 PM
Canada
C
CTD5.9 Offline
super stock
CTD5.9  Offline
super stock
C

Canada
I don't drag race, but after reading the posts on here about drag week I tuned in online. After the first day, the rest of my week was ruined and I watched religiously. Putting up with Freiburgers terrible jokes and listening to Monte pleading with the racers to stop wasting nitrous.

trailers, steel body, whatever complaints there were those unlimited guys put on a spectacle that kept the 5000+ people from all over the world tuned in online. The results showed more elaborate wasn't always better, they will most likely make more rules but breaking the unlimited class will probably hurt the fanbase, the sponsors and in turn the event.

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: Spaceman Spiff] #1672277
09/17/14 02:46 PM
09/17/14 02:46 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Larry did this because he was always against where the class was headed with pro mods on the street. So he decided to build one and beat them at their own game so to speak.

In reality, there has only ever been ONE real Pro-Mod in the class and that was Dave Ahokas. Bailey's car is glass, but heavy at 3100lbs. Lutz new 57 is glass, but stock dimensions, with all stock chrome and bumpers= heavier than it COULD be. Larry's beef was that somebody COULD come in and crush the class with a true purpose built car. And that he DID by going WAY further than anyone else ever had or intended to. The truck ran exactly what it SHOULD run for what it is. Lutz could have just as easily done some work on his pro-mod Camaro that has run 5.90s and brought it, but instead he chose to build the 57. Larry is a good friend and I understand WHY he did what he did, but as Lutz put it, that "just sucks all the fun out of the class". I agree 100% and actually so does Larry, but he wanted to make a point........and he DID. Now lets see how that POINT effects the Unlimited class. I can't possibly see it making it better, unless the rules are pulled back. If left as is..........it will do one of two things.....KILL the class or produce one or two others who are willing to invest the money and time to do it that way, which makes Unlimited totally a "pro-mods" with plates class............and neither of those options seem fun or appealing to me.

Monte

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: Monte_Smith] #1672278
09/17/14 03:10 PM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
Quote:

Quote:

In reality, there has only ever been ONE real Pro-Mod in the class and that was Dave Ahokas. Bailey's car is glass, but heavy at 3100lbs. Lutz new 57 is glass, but stock dimensions, with all stock chrome and bumpers= heavier than it COULD be. Larry's beef was that somebody COULD come in and crush the class with a true purpose built car. And that he DID by going WAY further than anyone else ever had or intended to. The truck ran exactly what it SHOULD run for what it is. Lutz could have just as easily done some work on his pro-mod Camaro that has run 5.90s and brought it, but instead he chose to build the 57. Larry is a good friend and I understand WHY he did what he did, but as Lutz put it, that "just sucks all the fun out of the class". I agree 100% and actually so does Larry, but he wanted to make a point........and he DID. Now lets see how that POINT effects the Unlimited class. I can't possibly see it making it better, unless the rules are pulled back. If left as is..........it will do one of two things.....KILL the class or produce one or two others who are willing to invest the money and time to do it that way, which makes Unlimited totally a "pro-mods" with plates class............and neither of those options seem fun or appealing to me.

Monte

Well said. They could rein it in by limiting the trailer size to 4 x 4 x 4. Then you could carry tires, a few spares, and tools, not a whole nuther car in pieces.

Klein was impressive, 6's every day with no tailer. That is the way to go IMHO (I know, my humble opinion is not the rule)
I was glad to see Lutz win, after so many attempts. Larsons pass kinda stole his thunder in the media tho. I like that Lutzes car still looks like a real 57 chevy, the best looking car in unlimited.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: Monte_Smith] #1672279

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Has anyone heard if there has been a peep out of Andy Frost ? If nothing else, the S-10 should end that debate.

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: ] #1672280
09/17/14 03:39 PM
09/17/14 03:39 PM
sweden
1Fast340 Offline
master
1Fast340  Offline
master

sweden
Quote:

Has anyone heard if there has been a peep out of Andy Frost ? If nothing else, the S-10 should end that debate.

Andy Frost wrote something on the bullet.

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: 1Fast340] #1672281
09/17/14 04:03 PM
09/17/14 04:03 PM
Between a rock & a hard place
C
cudadoug Offline
master
cudadoug  Offline
master
C

Between a rock & a hard place
QUOTE Klein was impressive, 6's every day with no trailer.

Impressive? I was thinking MIND BOGGLING!!

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: cudadoug] #1672282
09/17/14 04:40 PM
09/17/14 04:40 PM
cincinnati ohio
M
mcat4321 Offline
master
mcat4321  Offline
master
M

cincinnati ohio
i did not rad every post in this thread, i just scanned through it... but what i gather is,
YOU GUYS DONT GET IT!
Larry sat out last year in protest of where the class was going.
this year was meant to show how ridiculous it could get. the truck has steel OEM roof and bed sides. and an oem vin..
also..Larry was approached about doing this..
bangshift did not sponsor it..Chad Reynolds co-owner of Bangshift id Larry's partner in the deal..
the truck was put in impound.
the transformation is easily done by 2 guys.
help was only requested in the time crunch..
the doors were switched for safety, why risk getting t boned with a carbon door.
the trailer was built to exact max specs.
wheels and tires were switched to achieve maximum ride height.
air ride was used in the back as to not tear up the rear shocks..
Larry won 5 times with out a trailer or changing tires..his main goal this year was to make a statement, and to run quicker than Andy Frost...
DONE and DONE

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: cudadoug] #1672283
09/17/14 04:53 PM
09/17/14 04:53 PM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
Quote:

QUOTE Klein was impressive, 6's every day with no trailer.

Impressive? I was thinking MIND BOGGLING!!

Impressive and mind boggling.

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: mcat4321] #1672284
09/17/14 05:24 PM
09/17/14 05:24 PM
Canada
C
CTD5.9 Offline
super stock
CTD5.9  Offline
super stock
C

Canada
He just set the bar higher for someone to go even crazier next year without intervention. Maybe a Prince from Saudi Arabia will have a car built. The only statements in a game of one upsmanship are the ones the bank hands out when you are running out of money.

Also dumb question, wouldn't a sub 6 second certified NHRA roll cage provide enough protection in a side impact collision? The door change reason seemed to have a reason other then on road safety.

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: Monte_Smith] #1672285
09/17/14 05:25 PM
09/17/14 05:25 PM
Oregon
J
Jamie McGrath Offline
Jamie McGrath  Offline
J

Oregon
Quote:

You can't completely ban trailers, because some cars have zero room inside. The guys with the Vette can't carry a lunchbox without a trailer and others are similarly room challenged..............BUT you could seriously cut back on the SIZE of the trailer allowed.

Monte

I don't understand why not, I didn't twist the vette owners arm. That was his poor decision when he built the car.

If you have a big a-- you get bigger pants or loose the weight. You don't by the smaller pants and piss and moan you cant zip the zipper..

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: Jamie McGrath] #1672286
09/17/14 05:35 PM
09/17/14 05:35 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

You can't completely ban trailers, because some cars have zero room inside. The guys with the Vette can't carry a lunchbox without a trailer and others are similarly room challenged..............BUT you could seriously cut back on the SIZE of the trailer allowed.

Monte

I don't understand why not, I didn't twist the vette owners arm. That was his poor decision when he built the car.

If you have a big a-- you get bigger pants or loose the weight. You don't by the smaller pants and piss and moan you cant zip the zipper..

What is it you dont understand.. trailer are LEGAL
at DW... if you dont want one FINE but to say... NO
you cant.. sorry.. your WRONG... its within the rules

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: mcat4321] #1672287
09/17/14 05:40 PM
09/17/14 05:40 PM
jersey
S
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
Quote:

i did not rad every post in this thread, i just scanned through it... but what i gather is,
YOU GUYS DONT GET IT!
Larry sat out last year in protest of where the class was going.
this year was meant to show how ridiculous it could get. the truck has steel OEM roof and bed sides. and an oem vin..
also..Larry was approached about doing this..
bangshift did not sponsor it..Chad Reynolds co-owner of Bangshift id Larry's partner in the deal..
the truck was put in impound.
the transformation is easily done by 2 guys.
help was only requested in the time crunch..
the doors were switched for safety, why risk getting t boned with a carbon door.
the trailer was built to exact max specs.
wheels and tires were switched to achieve maximum ride height.
air ride was used in the back as to not tear up the rear shocks..
Larry won 5 times with out a trailer or changing tires..his main goal this year was to make a statement, and to run quicker than Andy Frost...
DONE and DONE

Chad was the one that got sponsorship from some of the company's that are Bangshift sponsors. The announcer Brian Lohens is also co owner of Bangshift.

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: CTD5.9] #1672288
09/17/14 06:14 PM
09/17/14 06:14 PM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
Quote:

Maybe a Prince from Saudi Arabia will have a car built. The only statements in a game of one upsmanship are the ones the bank hands out when you are running out of money.

True, it is going to take lots of $$ to win Unlimited. But money alone will not get you very far in this game. You have to be good at it. Very, very good.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: Hemi_Joel] #1672289
09/17/14 06:32 PM
09/17/14 06:32 PM
Canada
C
CTD5.9 Offline
super stock
CTD5.9  Offline
super stock
C

Canada
Quote:

True, it is going to take lots of $$ to win Unlimited. But money alone will not get you very far in this game. You have to be good at it. Very, very good.

Just hire a very very good passenger that can tune and setup the car! Without having to cut a light, you will only need to be very good instead of very very good.

Someone gave me a free turbo Plymouth Voyager the other day maybe I should enter drag week, definitely won't need a trailer.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6