09/16/14 07:39 PM
Texas
dannysbee Offline
master
dannysbee  Offline
master

Texas
Quote:

I can say that was my first time on dw and I would never go again if we could not have a trailer. Ours had what we needed to race like a pit bike and keg and 2stroke margarita maker

10-4 just the bare necessities. Only thing I would add is a massage therapist (female) to rub my shoulders after those long drives. Lol

Getting old just means you were smarter than some and luckier than others.
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: sixpackgut] #1672231
09/16/14 07:47 PM
09/16/14 07:47 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

my thought process on this is it is just another form of racing that is spiraling out of control.

piling race tires, doors, pistons, turbos, superchargers, transmissions etc into a trailer and dragging it around is IMO ridiculous.

These guys are working so hard just to prepare to make a run down the track is retarded to me.

I always liked 572Charger's (member here but hasn't been around in a long time) approach, drive it in the gate, straight to the lanes, make a 8.50 pass and drive out.

I wish they would outlaw trailers. James Taylor didn't have one in Two Lane Blacktop and neither should anyone else

I can kinda understand what you are saying. I mean some of these cars are almost like getting to the point of taking a funny car and putting in a strong more driveable supercharged or N20 equipped eng and running 6's or whatever. I mean yes they drive it on the street but it is really just a full blown race car with tags on them. And I understand just how fast we can go with our cars in todays world of power adders and all with the awesome technology we have today. And I can see why a car like that called a street car needs a trailer of tools and maybe parts to follow it around. So I can see what you mean.

It does kinda seem like when is ????????how fast is fast enough to claim the fastest street car ???? I dont know but you will need to be rich and want to claim your street driven car will run atleast 6's I would say ??

I would never have the money or the want to claim I have or even want to have the fastest street car out there.

I gotta admit just running in the 10's in a car I can drive as far as I like or jump in and go get groceries any time at all is fast enough for me and plenty of fun for me and I can carry all the tools and spare parts I need for my 10 second street car in my trunk LoL !

I can really appreciate all the work these guys put in some of these cars called street cars as the work and devotion to run that fast and keep up with the competition is alot of hard work. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 09/17/14 12:00 AM.
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: 383man] #1672232
09/16/14 08:20 PM
09/16/14 08:20 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I can kinda understand what you are saying. I mean some of these cars are almost like getting to the point of taking a funny car and putting in a strong more driveable supercharged or N20 equipped eng and running 6's or whatever. I mean yes they drive it on the street but it is really just a full blown race car with tags on them. And I understand just how fast we can go with our cars in todays world of power adders and all with the awesome technology we have today. And I can see why a car like that called a street car needs a trailer of tools and maybe parts to follow it around. So I can see what you mean.

It does kinda sem like when is ????????how fast is fast enough to claim the fastest street car ???? I dont know but you will need to be rich and want to claim your street driven car will run atleast 6's I would say ??

I would never have the money or the want to claim I have or even want to have the fastest street car out there.

I gotta admit just running in the 10's in a car I can drive as far as I like or jump in and go get groceries any time at all is fast enough for me and plenty of fun for me and I can carry all mthe tools and spare parts I need for my 10 second street car in my trunk LoL !

I can really appreciate all the work these guys put in some of these cars called street cars as the work and devotion to run that fast and keep up with the competition is alot of hard work. Ron

In the last couple years they have brought pro-mod
cars that have added lights and plates... but was still
legal in DW based on the currant rules.. we dont know
what will change this coming year... I'm wondering
if they change the rules to have a steel body except
for some selected glass parts as in hood and bumpers
but again we dont know YET.. I know that Larson said
he is done.. wont be coming back and heard something
of the same for Lutz but who really knows

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1672233
09/16/14 08:46 PM
09/16/14 08:46 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Larry at Great Bend.

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: GY3] #1672234
09/16/14 08:54 PM
09/16/14 08:54 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Jeff Lutz's trailer for the Evil Twin '57.

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: GY3] #1672235
09/16/14 09:06 PM
09/16/14 09:06 PM
Between a rock & a hard place
C
cudadoug Offline
master
cudadoug  Offline
master
C

Between a rock & a hard place
Quote:

Larry at Great Bend.

It seems to me that the Projacks kinda violate the spirit of the event. In a way...

But I digress: Call it what you want, he DROVE it the required course and it was WITHIN the rules. If you don't like the Unlimited rules, then don't run the class or watch the coverage. Who cares what it cost him to build the truck?? There are FAT wallets in all forms of motorsports, right? Ever see a high dollar stacker trailer with a pair or Jr. Dragsters inside, being pulled by a $200K toter home?

Besides, there is a class for nearly everyone at DW.

Having said all of that, if were up to ME...I'd absolutely change the rules to minimize the parts switching. Tires? Yes. Center section? Sure. Adding chutes? You betcha. But I put a screeching halt to the fuel system, the cooling system, the doors (WHAT is that all about?), etc...

I would allow trailers, max size though. (I think this is mandated already?) Soon, Larson will be pulling a 40 footer with a machine shop on board a the rate we're going...LOL!

I would also mandate all unlimited entries in Lockdown before each event.

One more: Unless it's an immediate safety issue, NO ONE but the driver and co pilot are allow to touch the vehicle.

Rant over. Discuss...

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: cudadoug] #1672236
09/16/14 09:11 PM
09/16/14 09:11 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Quote:

Quote:

Larry at Great Bend.

It seems to me that the Projacks kinda violate the spirit of the event. In a way...

But I digress: Call it what you want, he DROVE it the required course and it was WITHIN the rules. If you don't like the Unlimited rules, then don't run the class or watch the coverage. Who cares what it cost him to build the truck?? There are FAT wallets in all forms of motorsports, right? Ever see a high dollar stacker trailer with a pair or Jr. Dragsters inside, being pulled by a $200K toter home?

Having said all of that, if were up to ME...I'd absolutely change the rules to minimize the parts switching. Tires? Yes. Center section? Sure. Adding chutes? You betcha. But I put a screeching halt to the fuel system, the cooling system, the doors (WHAT is that all about?), etc...

I would allow trailers, max size though. (I think this is mandated already?) Soon, Larson will be pulling a 40 footer with a machine shop on board a the rate we're going...LOL!

One more: Unless it's an immediate safety issue, NO ONE but the driver and co pilot are allow to touch the vehicle.

Rant over. Discuss...

They already limit the size of the trailer and can put you in "impound" at the staff's discretion. When they do that only you and the passenger can work on the vehicle.

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: GY3] #1672237
09/16/14 09:17 PM
09/16/14 09:17 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Yes, it's a Camaro.

Two things cool about this picture. No trailer and Ontario plates!

I was behind this car and a Chevelle with 3 guys for quite a ways after leaving the track. They all looked like they were having a ball!

To me this is the spirit of Drag Week!

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: cudadoug] #1672238
09/16/14 09:25 PM
09/16/14 09:25 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Larry at Great Bend.

Rant over. Discuss...

Yes there is a max size to the trailer including the
max height of the trailer and the junk on top..
but I agree with ya... they(hot rod) do seem to
over look how many people are working on it.. yes
people help other drivers all the time.. but not on
a daily basis.. and driving another car that most of
use call a mule to haul stuff for some other car..
in the years past Larson didnt drag a trailer but yet
had all these parts and equipment... thats magic that
all the tools and parts would show up at each track
and this year there were MULTIPLE people working on
that truck.. if I can get in next year I think I'll
be in the unlimited class(just for kicks) due to I
can only fit in 2 classes.. unlimited and DD.. I cant
even run quicker than 10.0 but what the heck... all
this is based on it being east of the Mississippi river
and we get in(my buddy and myself)..... JMO on this

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: GY3] #1672239
09/16/14 09:32 PM
09/16/14 09:32 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Yes, it's a Camaro.

I was behind this car and a Chevelle with 3 guys for quite a ways after leaving the track. They all looked like they were having a ball!

It is a ball... I've been second seat 3 years... its
more fun when you have a buddy riding along that share
the same interests so you can BS along the way and
its easier if you have a navigator
EDIT
and following the directions isnt always very easy
and have been known to be WRONG... that does cause issues

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 09/16/14 09:38 PM.
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1672240
09/16/14 09:42 PM
09/16/14 09:42 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, it's a Camaro.

It is a ball... I've been second seat 3 years... its
more fun when you have a buddy riding along that share
the same interests so you can BS along the way and
its easier if you have a navigator
EDIT
and following the directions isnt always very easy
and have been known to be WRONG... that does cause issues

Better have a quick mouse trigger finger!

They said registration filled up in 8 minutes this year!

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: GY3] #1672241
09/16/14 09:53 PM
09/16/14 09:53 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Better have a quick mouse trigger finger!

They said registration filled up in 8 minutes this year!

It did but that was also with 350 that got registered
which was 50 more than planned on... 2 years ago when
I registered I was #1 so I have a clue.. but I dropped
out due to engine issues... the wife is VERY SHARP
on computers and we had 3 computers running to get in
and my buddy was #3... she had the web site up before
it even opened and had most of the data already in

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: cold85] #1672242
09/16/14 10:36 PM
09/16/14 10:36 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
Quote:

I can say that was my first time on dw and I would never go again if we could not have a trailer. Ours had what we needed to race like a pit bike and keg and 2stroke margarita maker

.....and THIS /\ is why I LOVE drag racing!!

...carry on

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1672243
09/16/14 10:41 PM
09/16/14 10:41 PM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
DF said Unlimited will remain Unlimited.That said the other classes may or may not see changes for 2015.Its DF and Hotrods event so it will be what it will be.Ive gone off and on since 07.The game has changed.LL wasn't the first one to solicit sponsors nor will he be the last.I heard ALOT of multi time attendees say they wont be back.Some due to costs,some are going to spend more time for family and some because the "True" Spirit of DW no longer exists. 2 key HR&DW personnel didn't attend this year due to family obligations.That said IMHO a few racers took advantage of that.I'll leave it at that.

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: ksj] #1672244
09/16/14 11:32 PM
09/16/14 11:32 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
It's still a great event with new folks getting hooked every year. I took 3 noobs with me this year and every one of them want to do it again. All of them finished and I was the one that broke!

As far as Larson's car/truck, it is absolutely nuts, but that's what the unlimited class is. And Doug Cline was obviously wearing blue underwear with a big S on it all week. The thing that impressed me most was he did not have to do a ton of stuff to that car prior to making a run.

If I were king, I'd require 2 time slips per track to eliminate the 1 hero pass at the last minute thing. I would also tighten the trailer size down a notch.

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: ksj] #1672245
09/16/14 11:34 PM
09/16/14 11:34 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Why is it so hard for so many to grasp the meaning of:

Rickster

Re: Larson at drag week [Re: cold85] #1672246
09/16/14 11:58 PM
09/16/14 11:58 PM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
Quote:

Now that's my kinda trailer.

Brett Miller W9 cnc'd heads
STR Chassis fabraction
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: cudadoug] #1672247
09/17/14 12:11 AM
09/17/14 12:11 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

Larry at Great Bend.

Rant over. Discuss...

I just want you and all to know my comments were in no way meant to be in a negative attitude to anyone running in theses classes or meant to put any of the racers down in any way so I hope all understands that. Heck I praise the amount of so much hard work they put into these cars as know way I could put that kind of hard work in my car or any car anymore with my health problems. I will admit its not my cup of tea as most know I love the Nostalgic type of racing like the NSS and cars more related to that era and thats just my thing but I have all kind of respect for the people and the cars they run in these classes. So I hope no one thinks I meant my comments in a bad way.

We all have our favorite cup of tea as I myself but I love cars and drag racing and mean no disrespect to anyone who races in thes super fast street classes or what ever class anyone runs in. I just wanted to be sure everyone knows I did not mean to sound disrespectful to anyone or the class they race in. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 09/17/14 12:17 AM.
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: ksj] #1672248
09/17/14 12:24 AM
09/17/14 12:24 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Quote:

The game has changed.
LL wasn't the first one to solicit sponsors nor will he be the last.
I heard ALOT of multi time attendees say they wont be back.Some due to costs,some are going to spend more time for family and some because the "True" Spirit of DW no longer exists.
2 key HR&DW personnel didn't attend this year due to family obligations.That said IMHO a few racers took advantage of that.

KSJ,
The True Spirit of Drag Week still exists, you just have to look for it a little harder...if you are looking at the guys willing to do anything to win a class...you're looking at the wrong group!!

Larry's entire approach this year wasn't very "Larson like" IMHO. Hopefully he rights himself at some point, and gets back to where he was before all the smack talking started.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Larson at drag week [Re: MoparBilly] #1672249
09/17/14 12:28 AM
09/17/14 12:28 AM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

The game has changed.
LL wasn't the first one to solicit sponsors nor will he be the last.
I heard ALOT of multi time attendees say they wont be back.Some due to costs,some are going to spend more time for family and some because the "True" Spirit of DW no longer exists.
2 key HR&DW personnel didn't attend this year due to family obligations.That said IMHO a few racers took advantage of that.

KSJ,
The True Spirit of Drag Week still exists, you just have to look for it a little harder...if you are looking at the guys willing to do anything to win a class...you're looking at the wrong group!!

Larry's entire approach this year wasn't very "Larson like" IMHO. Hopefully he rights himself at some point, and gets back to where he was before all the smack talking started.

100% agree

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6