09/07/14 02:30 PM
09/07/14 02:30 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline OP
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline OP
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
The bosses want to know what is next for the Mopar Market? It's getting on winter time so R&D will be going into full swing after SEMA. So I'm asking you folks, if you could pick the next product for us to bring to the market, what would it be?

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1668434
09/07/14 02:41 PM
09/07/14 02:41 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
A-body torsion bars so you could sell a complete system without shopping elsewhere (it's simply NOT a "TVS", Total Vehicle System without torsion bars!). Fix the LCA pivot so you can tighten them without spinning.

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1668435
09/07/14 02:47 PM
09/07/14 02:47 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline OP
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline OP
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

A-body torsion bars so you could sell a complete system without shopping elsewhere (it's simply NOT a "TVS", Total Vehicle System without torsion bars!). Fix the LCA pivot so you can tighten them without spinning.

A body bars are a weird market, not a lot of them move and it took quite a while for us to clear the last batch; that said I agree, we should stock them. I like the LCA pin suggestion. I've wanted to put a socket on the threaded end for some time to be able to snug it down. The polished pins are a bit of a pain to get in. I tend to like using factory pins and roughing up the surface with a heavy aggregate in the blaster, then seating the pin by bashing on the back of the T-Bar and then loading the suspension before tightening everything up.

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1668436
09/07/14 02:49 PM
09/07/14 02:49 PM
Mrytle Beach SC
J
johnscudashop Offline
pro stock
johnscudashop  Offline
pro stock
J

Mrytle Beach SC
Electric assist Steering and Electric assist brake retrofit kits.

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1668437
09/07/14 03:06 PM
09/07/14 03:06 PM
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal
A lightweight steering center link

73 `Cuda
Instagram: @rylispro
YouTube: RylisPro
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Re: What would you like to see? [Re: RylisPro] #1668438
09/07/14 03:34 PM
09/07/14 03:34 PM
Lake Orion, MI
goldduster318 Offline
pro stock
goldduster318  Offline
pro stock

Lake Orion, MI
Watt's linkage kit for the back?
Front body stiffening parts?

I know we're getting into hard core stuff here. I think a lot of us would like to get all the "weak link" stuff out of our cars.

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip
Re: What would you like to see? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1668439
09/07/14 03:35 PM
09/07/14 03:35 PM
Massachusetts
S
Sneke_Eyez Offline
enthusiast
Sneke_Eyez  Offline
enthusiast
S

Massachusetts
I'm not trying to be jerky, but fix the 66-69 B-Body rear sway bar so that owners with 66-67 B cars and 66-69 B wagons can run a full exhaust with the massive gas tank that those cars have and still run a Hotchkis rear swaybar - and then let those of us who bought them expecting not to have to modify our exhaust to buy them at a discount.

I'm about to chop off the rest of my exhaust and put a turndown on the wagon, but that's not what I want to do, I'd rather run a full exhaust, but the promise of improved roll control from the Hotchkis bar I already bought intrigues me too much to give up on the idea.

1969 Satellite Wagon - G3 Hemi Swap Incoming. | 1969 Coronet Post Coupe.
2002 Intrepid ES | 2009 Ram SLT | 2004 300M Special | 2002 300M Pro Am - Hers

Are you a New England Mopar Enthusiast?
Come check out the revived NorthEast Mighty Mopar at www.northeastmightymopar.com
!
Re: What would you like to see? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1668440
09/07/14 03:56 PM
09/07/14 03:56 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Since I don't think a broad market solution can be found, but best as possible universal "monte Carlo" brace. The market aspect would be limited, because it would soon be copied by many.

A more refined higher performing bolt on oem style swaybar end link system.

I would like to see if workable, an adapter sleeve for OEM spindles to allow for a larger bearing package, hopefully allowing for a larger then the typical Wilwood alum hub, still in Alum, and maintaining at least the 5x4.5" BC as one option.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: What would you like to see? [Re: jcc] #1668441
09/07/14 05:10 PM
09/07/14 05:10 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
Quote:

Since I don't think a broad market solution can be found, but best as possible universal "monte Carlo" brace. The market aspect would be limited, because it would soon be copied by many.

A more refined higher performing bolt on oem style swaybar end link system.

I would like to see if workable, an adapter sleeve for OEM spindles to allow for a larger bearing package, hopefully allowing for a larger then the typical Wilwood alum hub, still in Alum, and maintaining at least the 5x4.5" BC as one option.

I Like the sway bar end links and the Monte Carlo bar...Put in the Monte Carlo bar with rivnuts or a nut plate and connect all 4 sides of the engine compartment together to improve overall rigidity. Tim

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!
Re: What would you like to see? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1668442
09/07/14 05:23 PM
09/07/14 05:23 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

A body bars are a weird market, not a lot of them move and it took quite a while for us to clear the last batch; that said I agree, we should stock them.

Here's the part I am having a problem with on that subject. I have been asking Hotchkis for A-body bars for several years, at one point I was at SEMA (maybe 4-5years ago?) and was told "they were coming", and I've followed along waiting for them since. At no point were any EVER available that I am aware? Yet you are saying (and have said in the past) that Hotchkis had them in stock and it took forever to sell them? Something doesn't add up here, what am I missing?

That aside, the A-body market is HUGE, sure seems odd that they ignore such an important part that would make their TVS package truly complete?

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1668443
09/07/14 05:25 PM
09/07/14 05:25 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

Quote:

A body bars are a weird market, not a lot of them move and it took quite a while for us to clear the last batch; that said I agree, we should stock them.

Here's the part I am having a problem with on that subject. I have been asking Hotchkis for A-body bars for several years, at one point I was at SEMA (maybe 4-5years ago?) and was told "they were coming", and I've followed along waiting for them since. At no point were any EVER available that I am aware? Yet you are saying (and have said in the past) that Hotchkis had them in stock and it took forever to sell them? Something doesn't add up here, what am I missing?

That aside, the A-body market is HUGE, sure seems odd that they ignore such an important part that would make their TVS package truly complete?

IIRC they were available only for a short run. I've seen one or two used online in the past year or two. But I do agree that the A-body market is huge.

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: MuuMuu101] #1668444
09/07/14 07:30 PM
09/07/14 07:30 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline OP
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline OP
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

But I do agree that the A-body market is huge.

You would think, but our sales say otherwise. We sell over 5 times as much B&E as we do A body. The bosses are really hard to convince that we should do more for the A's when they look at the numbers. I have to have ammo to take to the bosses so that it makes sense. If we spend $10,000 to develop and market and item and then only sell 100 units, there is a good chance we won't make a profit. The Dakota market is a great example of how that went.
As a reminder, we are not a Mopar specific company like RMS, Firm Feel, or the other guys. I have to convince the bosses that we should divert R&D time and money from the GM, Mustang, BMW, Mercedes, etc lines for something we as a Mopar community want(me included) but if the sales won't back it up, it won't get off paper.
We want to increase our market and offer new products to the community, but if I suggest it, and you guys don't buy it, the Monday morning meeting doesn't go so well for me.

My biggest goal lately is to cover as much of the market as I can with shared parts and make sure our applications are well covered. I also am doing my best to not smother out what limited market we have. I've had long talks with the guys at Firm Feel and Bergman Autocraft as to what we will and won't do so that those guys don't get pinched. I really want to do chassis stiffening next and we've got a couple bits in prototype for the B's and E's, because those markets sell well. That said, I'm doing my best to not overlap the US Car Tool guys because I think they put out a good product as well and it doesn't make sense for us to make the same thing. The pie is only so big, and if we want a piece, everyone's share just gets a bit smaller.

After saying all that, I like the ideas and my notepad is filling up for tomorrow mornings meeting, so keep the ideas coming!

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1668445
09/07/14 07:38 PM
09/07/14 07:38 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
I think another part of the problem, which we've talked about here before, was the lack of mopar enthusiasts who want to make their cars go around turns. Look on Instagram or Facebook (like Wilwood, Holley, Forgeline Wheels, etc. as some examples) and you'll rarely see any mopars on an autocross or road course in the pictures. I went to the last Hotchkis Autocross and out of about 70-80 cars that showed up, the only mopars were Tom's '67 Valiant and a V6 Challenger. About half of the cars were Camaros both new and old.

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1668446
09/07/14 07:41 PM
09/07/14 07:41 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Is there a reason why the new Challengers only get spings and sway bars for their TVS while the Camaro and Mustang get chassis bracing? Is it a market thing or a structural thing.

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: MuuMuu101] #1668447
09/07/14 08:31 PM
09/07/14 08:31 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline OP
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline OP
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Is there a reason why the new Challengers only get spings and sway bars for their TVS while the Camaro and Mustang get chassis bracing? Is it a market thing or a structural thing.

Marketing. Each segment we delve into gets as much back as the market gives. Look at our offerings for 1st and 2nd Gen Camaros. They get everything under the sun and have 3 Links coming. An initial "probe" is made into the market, and then it goes from there. And it is true, for some reason the Mopar guys have been the slowest to come around.

I sometimes wonder if we've gone so long "making do" with junk yard swaps and offset bushings that we don't know what we have as a segment when we do. Sometimes it takes someone getting a ride in one of our cars to figure out how "bad" it is with Koni's, over sized T-Bars, offset bushings and no rear sway bar. However those are the same guys that you'll have a hard time convincing that a set of Falken 615K's are so much better than 10 year old Radial T/A's. And you'll never see them going toe to toe with our cars whether the event is 500 miles or 500 feet from them. we always get the same story:
"Our cars aren't set up for that"
or
"The car isn't running right"
But you'll never hear the end of how their car went so fast that one time on that one track when no one was there, but they passed every GT-R/Viper/911GT3/Enzo at the track that day.
Sometimes you can't even lead the horse to water I suppose.

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1668448
09/07/14 08:36 PM
09/07/14 08:36 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
I would like to see the new 2015 Mustang on a track......can we get that to the dealers yet?

You guys get any OEM drawings from Ford of the new Stallion yet to make aftermarket parts?

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: PHJ426] #1668449
09/07/14 08:46 PM
09/07/14 08:46 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline OP
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline OP
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

I would like to see the new 2015 Mustang on a track......can we get that to the dealers yet?

You guys get any OEM drawings from Ford of the new Stallion yet to make aftermarket parts?

As am I. Sometimes we can get a test vehicle from the OE before they hit the sales floor. It allows us some lead time on fitment and rates so when they hit the streets, we can get a couple customer cars in for R&D/fitment and they get the freebies.

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1668450
09/07/14 08:58 PM
09/07/14 08:58 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Do a run of Mopar specific rims and see if they sell. Nobody has ever made good performance wheels for Mopar muscle cars. It should be easy but nobody has ever done it. It is a fairly simple combination of center hole size, offset, caliper clearance and width. Use a nice lightweight design and offer them in performance sizes.

If there was a good bolt on performance rim for Mopar vehicles then perhaps there would be more people looking for suspension parts. I'd suggest hooking up with the guys at Baer to make sure the wheels clear their top of the line brake kits.

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1668451
09/07/14 08:59 PM
09/07/14 08:59 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline OP
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline OP
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
All of the guys/gals at the shop are real enthusiasts, and those kits tend to get a lot of love when they are personally owned by staff. Two guys at the shop had deposits on BRZ/FR-S cars, so that kit got a lot of love, and we used one for SEMA display. We've got a couple of Camaros and Novas, so those all ways get little "ideas" thrown at them (spherical bearings, new design ideas, etc). The GM's kids both got the new Golf R, so we had a lot of fun with those. I'm the Mopar guy and we have Emax, so we have a good supply of A,B&E cars to play with..etc.
And obviously we spend a LOT of time at the track as a company and as competitors. We all beat the living snot out of our stuff before we send it out the door and as we break stuff, we roll out the improvements. We are absolutely crushed when someone has an issue with their product and help as much as we can to set it straight, but with how much product we have going out the door, our success rate is pretty impressive. The boss has a very firm policy with quality control and using consistent, reliable pieces and materials. I know a lot of folks try to figure out why our pieces cost so much sometimes but when you look at the product and the company standing behind it, it's worth it all the way.
I was a Hotchkis customer before I worked there, and I've worked for and represented aftermarket companies that I would never tie my name to again because of how poorly the product is constructed. If Hotchkis ever went that way, I'd walk away as well.

Re: What would you like to see? [Re: AndyF] #1668452
09/07/14 09:00 PM
09/07/14 09:00 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline OP
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline OP
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Do a run of Mopar specific rims and see if they sell. Nobody has ever made good performance wheels for Mopar muscle cars. It should be easy but nobody has ever done it. It is a fairly simple combination of center hole size, offset, caliper clearance and width. Use a nice lightweight design and offer them in performance sizes.

If there was a good bolt on performance rim for Mopar vehicles then perhaps there would be more people looking for suspension parts. I'd suggest hooking up with the guys at Baer to make sure the wheels clear their top of the line brake kits.

that is a really good idea. We carry wheels for the newer muscle....
This is going on the list

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5