montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
How many of you guys run a phenolic carburetor spacer? Have you had any issues with them becoming warped? I have ran a few in the last year and I like them because i can feel that the 4 hole spacers increase torque and my engine starts up in the heat a lot easier when I'm using one.
I am currently running a 2 inch 4 hole phenolic carb spacer, when i first got the spacer i sanded the front side where the carburetor sits on a flat piece of glass on sandpaper in a figure 8 motion until the entire surface was all sanded and looked good and flat with a ruler and a feeler gauge.
Today i noticed my engine was hunting while it was idling, i could hear the idle rise then go down rise then go down and i thought that's a vaccum leak. So i grabbed a can of carburetor cleaner and started spraying around. I didn't find a leak where the carburetor meets the spacer but i found multiple leaks where the spacers meets the intake manifold.
I didn't sand this part because everytime I've had problems with the spacers warping its always been on the side where the carburetor meets the spacer. But not this time. It makes sense that it could warp where it meets the manifold because it's hotter right there. My question is do i take the spacer off and sand the side where it meets the manifold in a figure 8 motion until it's flat and buy 2 new gaskets and try it again. Or is this just going to happen again in a couple of months and would i be better off going to an aluminum 4 hole spacer? Another question, is there better made phenolic carb spacers that don't have warping issues?

Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: pjc360] #1660977
08/19/14 10:53 AM
08/19/14 10:53 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

My question is do i take the spacer off and sand the side where it meets the manifold in a figure 8 motion until it's flat and buy 2 new gaskets and try it again. Or is this just going to happen again in a couple of months and would i be better off going to an aluminum 4 hole spacer? Another question, is there better made phenolic carb spacers that don't have warping issues?

(1) yes, you have no choice it is leaking (2) it may happen again, do ya feel lucky, well do ya (3) not sure (alum does expand significantly but it might be evenly but not likely as you know how that goes (Murphys law) (4) I would think Phenolic would be Phenolic but reportedly the very best is a wood spacer (baltic birch plywood iirc), call a cabinet shop & talk to them & inquire how much for them to saber saw one out for you. Get a piece cut from them & you bring it home & drill the 4 corner holes & swab the perimeter of the intake carb opening with dykem then set the piece down on the studs so there is an impression of the carb opening left on the bottom side of the spacer then take it back & have them cut the inside out to those exact lines. You rough mark the OD also depending on how perfect you want the outside dimentions/appearance to be (& (their) time is money). Torque the carb studs reasonably & in a crisscross pattern & not sure if a slightly thicker gasket(s) would help or not (I would think it would). EDIT get a C to C measurement of the bolt pattern & have them drill the 4 holes (reasonably tight/no slop) with their wood bit, regular bits might not work well in wood.

Last edited by RapidRobert; 08/19/14 11:50 AM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: pjc360] #1660978
08/19/14 01:26 PM
08/19/14 01:26 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
The sanding concept concerns me a little bit, that opens the cotton? fibers more directly to the fuel where its is trapped and soaks, which is the likely culprit for any warpage, do you reseal the sanded portion in anyway with a fuel resistant sealant?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: pjc360] #1660979
08/19/14 01:30 PM
08/19/14 01:30 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Online work
I Win
Cab_Burge  Online Work
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Plywood spacers don't warp that I have heard of, thier a better heat insulator also according to the marketing hype I like and us ethe phenolic spacers from Summit that look like plywood But that is on race cars, not street cars with heat into the intake manifold crossovers. Maybe it is time to block the heat crossover and go to a electric choke

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: pjc360] #1660980
08/19/14 04:30 PM
08/19/14 04:30 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Generally warping is occurring from uneven torque distribution and when heat cycled it takes a set.

Cheap gaskets and uneven torque are common causes for warping, even base plates on carburetors. A thicker the gasket generally multiplies the problem.

If it were mine I would straighten both sealing surfaces flat again, use a quality gasket and torque evenly.

For the best quality gasket available on today's market check out our catalog and a list of our distributors.
http://www.superformanceproducts.com/

Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: RapidRobert] #1660981
08/19/14 10:36 PM
08/19/14 10:36 PM
Alberta
R
rustbuckett68 Offline
mopar
rustbuckett68  Offline
mopar
R

Alberta
Messed with this years ago, making my own spacers (I'm a carpenter/woodworker) and noticed most wood is porous. The first one I made, I could suck air through with my mouth at, what. 2" vacuum. Finally settled on solid birch. Plywood could be soaked in a sealer or lacquer. Have been thinking of experimenting with the idea again, project # 47 or 172.

Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: pjc360] #1660982
08/19/14 10:43 PM
08/19/14 10:43 PM
Philadelphia PA
Pynzo Offline
Drugs are bad
Pynzo  Offline
Drugs are bad

Philadelphia PA
Mr. Gasket makes this one. It's a 4 hole, aluminum plates sandwiched with 4 hole carb gaskets. So far no problems and my low end torque exceeds an open plenum spacer.

8245932-image.jpg (356 downloads)
Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: pjc360] #1660983
08/19/14 11:13 PM
08/19/14 11:13 PM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Speaking or carburetor base plate torque...what are you guys using?

I installed my Carter TQ to a Holley Strip Dominator using a thin gasket, went with 100in-lbs torque...seemed just tight enough.

Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: rustbuckett68] #1660984
08/20/14 12:16 AM
08/20/14 12:16 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
"project # 47 or 172. "

I like your thinking

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: jcc] #1660985
08/21/14 11:39 PM
08/21/14 11:39 PM
montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
I warm using superformance carburetor base plate gaskets. I torqued the carburetor to 7 ft lbs and i did it in a criss cross pattern a little at a time on each nut. Quick fuel says to torque them at 8 ft lbs so I decided to do 7 that way I could be Cretan I am not over torquing it. I did just buy this spacer a couple of months ago and I sanded the top part but not the bottom. I took the spacer off and sanded the bottom on a flat piece of glass in a figure 8 motion until the entire surface was sanded. And it looked un even on the bottom, spent about an hour making it perfectly flat. For now I put a fel pro 1900 gasket on the bottom and a mr gasket 55 on top because that's all my parts store had, I ordered new super formance gaskets. Put it all back together and it's running better and my idle is steady.
So it was the bottom part of the spacer causing the vacuum leak. I will install the new superformance gaskets when they arrive and if it develops another leak from becoming warped again I will buy a different spacer. I just seen some guys online saying some phenolic spacers are made with better material then others.

Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: pjc360] #1660986
08/22/14 01:21 AM
08/22/14 01:21 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Put it all back together and it's running better and my idle is steady.
So it was the bottom part of the spacer causing the vacuum leak.

You did a very meticulious job & are reaping the benefits

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: RapidRobert] #1660987
08/22/14 02:40 AM
08/22/14 02:40 AM
montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
I hope the benefits last, I hate vacuum leaks. My engine is extremely sensitive to them I can always tell when something isn't right with it. I would just say screw the spacer but this spacer truly does add a lot of torque down low.
I can tell a huge difference with and without the spacer , plus it starts a lot easier with the spacer from the carb running cooler.

Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: pjc360] #1660988
08/22/14 08:32 AM
08/22/14 08:32 AM
Indiana
Y
YO7_A66 Offline
master
YO7_A66  Offline
master
Y

Indiana
""So it was the bottom part of the spacer causing the vacuum leak.""

Now you should see some improvement concerning your JETTING & ALTITUDE thread.

A vacuum leak is tough to tune around.

1970 YO7 A66 [Canadian Export] F8 Challenger
340 (Currently in shop for stroker assy.)
Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: YO7_A66] #1660989
08/22/14 10:23 PM
08/22/14 10:23 PM
montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
Problem is I don't think it had a vacuum leak all along, I'm pretty sure i caught it right away because I could hear the idle changing while it was idling, it would go up and down up and down. I feel I have the carb dialed in fairly well.
I have pulled the plugs and looked at them a couple times since my last carburetor adjustment and none of the plugs were fouled.
I just hope another leak doesn't develop, if it does I'm going to buy a different spacer, I would like to stick with the phenolic type, maybe the more expensive phenolic spacers are made with better material? I only paid 20 bucks for the one I'm running now.
Has anyone heard of the Allstar spacers? I see Mancini racing sells them and they are a little more pricey, you suppose these spacers are made of better phenolic material vs the no name brand 20 dollar ones you can get from eBay?

Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: pjc360] #1660990
08/23/14 10:27 AM
08/23/14 10:27 AM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

I warm using superformance carburetor base plate gaskets. I torqued the carburetor to 7 ft lbs and i did it in a criss cross pattern a little at a time on each nut. Quick fuel says to torque them at 8 ft lbs so I decided to do 7 that way I could be Cretan I am not over torquing it. I did just buy this spacer a couple of months ago and I sanded the top part but not the bottom. I took the spacer off and sanded the bottom on a flat piece of glass in a figure 8 motion until the entire surface was sanded. And it looked un even on the bottom, spent about an hour making it perfectly flat. For now I put a fel pro 1900 gasket on the bottom and a mr gasket 55 on top because that's all my parts store had, I ordered new super formance gaskets. Put it all back together and it's running better and my idle is steady.
So it was the bottom part of the spacer causing the vacuum leak. I will install the new superformance gaskets when they arrive and if it develops another leak from becoming warped again I will buy a different spacer. I just seen some guys online saying some phenolic spacers are made with better material then others.

Sounds like you did it right from the beginning
Like you say the only other variable to warping is the quality of the spacer itself. Maybe it just fully cured the resin's or the fuel is attacking it, can't say for sure so keep us posted.

I'd have to imagine there is a quality to price difference with these spacers but have no first hand knowledge whose is good and whose is questionable.
Were you not able to reuse our base gaskets?
Thanks for your support and hope you see the quality difference in what we offer compared to our competitors.

Re: Phenolic Carburetor Spacers [Re: roadhazard] #1660991
08/23/14 07:38 PM
08/23/14 07:38 PM
montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
I'm sure I could of re-used the superformance gaskets, I ran them for about 3 months then I discovered the vacuum leak at the bottom of the spacer. Another thing I noticed was the open gasket on the bottom of the spacer showed the un-eveniness of the bottom of the spacer.
I just decided I would just get new gaskets because I have never liked to re-use gaskets unless they were literally brand new and I hadn't used it very much.
I can definitely tell the difference in quality between the superformance gaskets and the mr.gasket and fel-pro base gaskets, when I am running the superformance gaskets I only have to re-torque the carburetor nuts once after a heat cycle. With the other base plate gaskets I have to re-torque the nuts multiple times to make sure they are torqued.