07/31/14 03:20 PM
07/31/14 03:20 PM
ME
79machocharger Offline OP
master
79machocharger  Offline OP
master

ME
Just wondering how hard of a job it would be to rebuild my own tranny in my 2wd 2000 Dakota r/t. With YouTube/internet help and purchasing a rebuild manual I should be able to get any question answered that I have. I'd make sure to label and take pictures as I take it apart for reference. Also where would be the best place to order a really good quality rebuild kit from?
Thanks for any help.

Re: Should I atempt to rebuild my own trans in 2000 r/t [Re: 79machocharger] #1653528
07/31/14 03:24 PM
07/31/14 03:24 PM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL

Re: Should I atempt to rebuild my own trans in 2000 r/t [Re: 79machocharger] #1653529
07/31/14 06:23 PM
07/31/14 06:23 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Kits are available from a multitude of places, just don't get caught up in the hype of kolene steels, Kevlar bands and carbon frictions. They really are not necessary for most builds. Shop for the best price, they are all about the same.

Pay close attention to every place a seal ring touches, it must be smooth. Since it's a 2000 I'm assuming you have a 42RE or a 46RE if it's a gas engine or a 47RE if it's a V10 or a diesel. Replace the governor pressure solenoid and transducer while you are in there. Make sure everything is clean, clean, clean. Also split your valve body and make sure all the valves move freely. A Sonnax or Superior shift correction kit is a good idea and it also gives you the manual valve that fills the converter in park, I love that little diddy.

They used aluminum spool valves in those valve bodies so check the throttle pressure valve end for wear where the lever contacts it. Sonnax and Superior both make valves to fix that too. Did I mention clean? Make sure everything is clean. The tiniest little piece of dirt can cause a valve to hang up.

Google PATC transmissions, they have some awesome upgrade stuff for those transmissions. I used them when I converted my non lock up diesel 518 to a lock up.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Should I atempt to rebuild my own trans in 2000 r/t [Re: 79machocharger] #1653530
08/02/14 12:47 PM
08/02/14 12:47 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
Any factory service manual from 96 up will be a great guide in teardown, inspection, and reassembly. Some special tools are required for the OD section.

Re: Should I atempt to rebuild my own trans in 2000 r/t [Re: Guitar Jones] #1653531
08/02/14 11:35 PM
08/02/14 11:35 PM
Temecula, Ca.
Z
zzyzxpat Offline
enthusiast
zzyzxpat  Offline
enthusiast
Z

Temecula, Ca.
Quote:

Kits are available from a multitude of places, just don't get caught up in the hype of kolene steels, Kevlar bands and carbon frictions. They really are not necessary for most builds. Shop for the best price, they are all about the same.

Pay close attention to every place a seal ring touches, it must be smooth. Since it's a 2000 I'm assuming you have a 42RE or a 46RE if it's a gas engine or a 47RE if it's a V10 or a diesel. Replace the governor pressure solenoid and transducer while you are in there. Make sure everything is clean, clean, clean. Also split your valve body and make sure all the valves move freely. A Sonnax or Superior shift correction kit is a good idea and it also gives you the manual valve that fills the converter in park, I love that little diddy.

They used aluminum spool valves in those valve bodies so check the throttle pressure valve end for wear where the lever contacts it. Sonnax and Superior both make valves to fix that too. Did I mention clean? Make sure everything is clean. The tiniest little piece of dirt can cause a valve to hang up.

Google PATC transmissions, they have some awesome upgrade stuff for those transmissions. I used them when I converted my non lock up diesel 518 to a lock up.

What Mr. Jones said is spot on. I do this for a living, 30 years now. For anything but a semi-fullrace setup, it is not rocket science. One of the easiest transmissions to build. Keep everything clean, blow dry parts, do not wipe wipe with rags (lint), change the waved snapring in the OD direct clutch pack and you will be good to go unless you have a specific problem.
If you add a valvebody kit, not a mandatory thing, don't forget Transgo as an option. BTW, "ShiftKit" is a trademark of Transgo FYI.

Pat

" The last official act of any goverment, is to loot the treasury" George Washington