Sac, CA, USA
N
ntstlgl1970 Offline OP
mopar
ntstlgl1970  Offline OP
mopar
N

Sac, CA, USA
I haven't seen this question asked before, but has anyone run one of the longer (+1" or .5") balljoints in the upper control arm with a stock e body spindle to see if it would help the camber gain? Or would that result in a bind situation. Just wondering if it was an option in place of the F-M-J spindle swap - seen lots of discussion on the spindle which I don't think needs mention here.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all56012/overview/

or maybe the body is 1" longer and I can't read....

Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: ntstlgl1970] #1650511
07/24/14 05:16 PM
07/24/14 05:16 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I haven't seen this question asked before, but has anyone run one of the longer (+1" or .5") balljoints in the upper control arm with a stock e body spindle to see if it would help the camber gain? Or would that result in a bind situation. Just wondering if it was an option in place of the F-M-J spindle swap - seen lots of discussion on the spindle which I don't think needs mention here.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all56012/overview/

or maybe the body is 1" longer and I can't read....

Brad70 effectively does this with the C-body spindles he runs. The ball joints will take the angle. We use them in circle track racing at much higher angles.

The question is what does it do to the roll center. And does the camber gain more advantageous to any negative roll center affects.

The problem that can happen is if the ball joint moves up it can interfere with the inside of he rim when running high backspace over about 5" rims. Of course 18" rims will have a little more room ~ 1/2" in theory depending on rim than 17".

Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: autoxcuda] #1650512
07/24/14 08:11 PM
07/24/14 08:11 PM
Sac, CA, USA
N
ntstlgl1970 Offline OP
mopar
ntstlgl1970  Offline OP
mopar
N

Sac, CA, USA
A related question - is there reasonably priced software to map out the suspension travel using pick up points and so on for determining these things yet?

Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: ntstlgl1970] #1650513
07/24/14 10:12 PM
07/24/14 10:12 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: jcc] #1650514
07/24/14 10:48 PM
07/24/14 10:48 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Just stumbled on this, very interesting.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/10882...-Spindle-System

maybe it should be its own thread.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: jcc] #1650515
07/25/14 03:46 AM
07/25/14 03:46 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Maybe if you knew someone with a junker car, you could rig it to an alignment rack without the torsion bars in it. This may allow full suspension travel to see what gains you have under full travel.
I know of a guy with TWO 68-70 B front stubs in his yard. It wouldn't be that hard to mock up parts as long as you find a cooperative alignment tech somewhere.

Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: ntstlgl1970] #1650516
07/25/14 01:23 PM
07/25/14 01:23 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
The FJM spindle is .375 taller and these ball joints are offered in .5 and 1.0, so they are going to alter geometry. Whether or not you need the change in roll center and the additional camber gain will depend on your overall combo. Things like ride height, spring rates, body roll, tire diameter, rim diameter, etc will all factor into whether or not these actually improve things for you. If your car is significantly lowered, these may help. If you have soft spring rates with small sway bars that allow a fair amount of body roll, the camber gain may be of assistance with keeping the tire flatter.

Remember these parts are developed for oval track racers that may carry around a half dozen different control arms to tune for specific track conditions, especially in the dirt. Its entirely possibly that these are for use with geometry that will never be found in a stock based pick up point suspension like what we have under our cars. The radical camber gain a 1" over stock ball joint would provide is likely for use on a dirt track where a lot of body roll is needed for bite and you need a lot of camber gain to keep the tire face in contact with the track.

Now, if you want to understand if these can be used, you need to map out your pick up points and graphically see how they change things. This can be done with pencil and paper, but it requires A LOT of paper to actually see the incremental changes .375 and .5 can make over the stock locations because the changes become very minor, where you probably can't see them without using a gauge. It obviously is easier to use a program that can map and graph these all for you automatically and then demo changes in dynamic sequences as well. I know Steve Smith Autosports Publishing has a program that is around $100. I'm sure there are other out there in addition to the the Performance Trends piece jcc referenced.

Just taking a swag at it, the .5 unit may help but I doubt the 1.0 unit would really help. I typically lower my cars to a point where the lower control arm pivot and lower ball joint are level. This is considered very low for a street going Mopar but it matches well with my tire diameters. This drops the front roll center 2" underground. Changing to the .375 taller spindle brings this point back up to 2" above ground. Adding another .125 of height may bring that roll center up to 4" above ground, which may not be too bad.

I may try to model it sometime in the future, but I also need to go back and reconfirm all my set up measurements. Accuracy of finding these is HUGE to the overall results but it is also very difficult to get accurately in a stock layout with a tape measure and nailing these down will require I spend time with a plumb bob and a layout sheet underneath the car.

Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: TC@HP2] #1650517
07/25/14 09:31 PM
07/25/14 09:31 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
IMO they could help in a stock E-Body but I never checked to know for sure. As in stock form the ball joint is lower than the inner pick up points on the UCA. (UCA/ball joint pointing down )IMO this causes the top of the wheel to go out before it goes in ( camber) But you can mess things up quick. When I did hours of bump steer measurements with every combo I could think of using a-body LCA ,b-body drag links and the C-Body spindle etc.... When I used the taller ball joint in my combo ( 73 C-Body) it made the bump steer measurements worse, so I went back to stock length.

Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: jcc] #1650518
07/27/14 05:27 PM
07/27/14 05:27 PM
Sac, CA, USA
N
ntstlgl1970 Offline OP
mopar
ntstlgl1970  Offline OP
mopar
N

Sac, CA, USA
Quote:

Define Reasonable

Ver 2.4 http://performancetrends.com/SuspAnzr.htm#Full_Vehicle_Features

That seems pretty reasonable if it does all that it claims to do

Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: brads70] #1650519
07/27/14 05:36 PM
07/27/14 05:36 PM
Sac, CA, USA
N
ntstlgl1970 Offline OP
mopar
ntstlgl1970  Offline OP
mopar
N

Sac, CA, USA
Quote:

IMO they could help in a stock E-Body but I never checked to know for sure. As in stock form the ball joint is lower than the inner pick up points on the UCA. (UCA/ball joint pointing down )IMO this causes the top of the wheel to go out before it goes in ( camber) But you can mess things up quick. When I did hours of bump steer measurements with every combo I could think of using a-body LCA ,b-body drag links and the C-Body spindle etc.... When I used the taller ball joint in my combo ( 73 C-Body) it made the bump steer measurements worse, so I went back to stock length.

Thanks Brad, I was wondering if anyone had tried it out just to see "what if"?

Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: ntstlgl1970] #1650520
07/27/14 07:04 PM
07/27/14 07:04 PM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
Here's some tech that Bill Reilly did about the tall spindles.

Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: brads70] #1650521
07/27/14 08:34 PM
07/27/14 08:34 PM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
Quote:

so your not running the taller howe balljoints on your car now?

Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: dangina] #1650522
07/27/14 09:35 PM
07/27/14 09:35 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

Quote:

No

Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: brads70] #1650523
07/27/14 11:40 PM
07/27/14 11:40 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No

But are you running the C-body (73?) Spindles?

If so, how much taller are they?

Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: autoxcuda] #1650524
07/28/14 09:53 AM
07/28/14 09:53 AM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No

Yep I'm running the 73 C-Body spindle. They are 5/8" taller and drop the car 5/8"
The KPI on the e-body spindle I measured at 5 degrees, on the C-Body I measured it at 7.5 Degrees. To measure it I mounted the spindle pin in the lathe and then used a precision bevel protractor and measured the machined flat surface on the top of the spindle.

Last edited by brads70; 07/28/14 09:57 AM.
Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: brads70] #1650525
07/28/14 12:22 PM
07/28/14 12:22 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No

Yep I'm running the 73 C-Body spindle. They are 5/8" taller and drop the car 5/8"
The KPI on the e-body spindle I measured at 5 degrees, on the C-Body I measured it at 7.5 Degrees. To measure it I mounted the spindle pin in the lathe and then used a precision bevel protractor and measured the machined flat surface on the top of the spindle.

Do you think there is room between the top of your ball joint and the insde of your 18" rims to run 5.6" of backspace?

What backspace, width and offset (positive?) are your front rims?

Did you want to add KPI degrees to reduce scrub radius with your particular rim and tire setup (315/40/18 12" wide rim)? If so, did it help much?

Last edited by autoxcuda; 07/28/14 12:29 PM.
Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: autoxcuda] #1650526
07/28/14 05:15 PM
07/28/14 05:15 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No

Do you think there is room between the top of your ball joint and the insde of your 18" rims to run 5.6" of backspace?

What backspace, width and offset (positive?) are your front rims?

Did you want to add KPI degrees to reduce scrub radius with your particular rim and tire setup (315/40/18 12" wide rim)? If so, did it help much?

5.6" backspace would be close? Might work, but it would hit my tierod set up. I lowered the outer tie rods to correct bump steer.

Howe quick bump kit

KPI was built into the spindle and it is what it is. I didn't reinvent the wheel per say I just researched the Petty kit cars and what they used and talked with local Mopar stock car racers and what they found that worked. The Petty kit cars used an e-body front end etc.... they were banned from quite a few tracks because they dominated. Good enough for me I thought!
I also used A-Body LCA because they are slightly longer than E-Body's I would have tried the later b-body LCA but they widen the front end too much on my car. My buddy runs them on his circle track car though ( with a wider rear end). Also if I used the wider still b-body lowers than the Hotchkis uppers wouldn't work and I have to make my own.
It's all in here what I did if your interested? Sorry for the link I didn't feel like typing it all out again!
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Re: Tall spindle vs tall(er) balljoint [Re: brads70] #1650527
07/28/14 05:19 PM
07/28/14 05:19 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
FYI the 1973 C-Body spindles are a one year only deal and tough to find ( and sometimes expensive) the 74-78 C-Body spindles will also work but you would need a sleeve in the upper ball joint as the later c-body uses a bigger taper. T fit the e-body lower ball joint with either spindle you simply slot the holes the correct amount. Besides raising the ball joint above center the other obvious benefit to c-body spindles is the bigger brake rotor.

Last edited by brads70; 07/28/14 05:22 PM.