07/17/14 01:02 AM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
Quote:

I'm not the early adopter type at my expense. I like to see that something works before I start throwing money at stuff. To revert my whole car back to factory driveline would cost over 4 times what it costs me to have the TKO rebuilt, and twice as much as the Legend 5 speed. Both of which have a lot of R&D behind them. If Jamie wants me to put his transmissions through some torture tests for R&D at his cost I wouldn't turn down the opportunity.

I hope you are joking...right. 'cause everything I've seen is the dude is busting his butt trying to get caught up with paying customers. I doubt he's going to comp you one for publicity. This just comes off as incredibly arrogant. Oh and NOT funny

Re: Passon A-855: is there still a waiting list? [Re: Skeptic] #1646931
07/17/14 01:46 AM
07/17/14 01:46 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

I hope you are joking...right. 'cause everything I've seen is the dude is busting his butt trying to get caught up with paying customers. I doubt he's going to comp you one for publicity. This just comes off as incredibly arrogant. Oh and NOT funny

Nope dead serious. As an FYI, and not tying to be condescending, but it seems you really don't know how things in this industry work, if the company intends to build a product that is safe, reliable and works. It takes a lot of testing on a lot of peoples vehicles.
We have a specific budget for R&D. When we decide to develop a product line, like lets say the TVS we just developed for the 1st Gen Mustangs, we "borrow" a couple of customers cars for R&D. During this time we will do fitment and testing, as well as some mild upgrades if needed. When we are done with a car for R&D, the customer gets to keep the stuff. That is how it goes. Generally for us it takes a full year of testing with 3-4 vehicles per generation to ensure everything fits across the board.
I will tell you now that EVERY major company does this for R&D. Want a blower for your new challenger?
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/test-vehicles/

How about a set of Stoptech brakes at cost or better for your new BMW?
http://www.stoptech.com/contact/test-vehicles-needed

Furthermore it is generally pretty good advertising to have a product on another companies R&D vehicle as they are usually featured in magazines, attend events around the country and in our case have THOUSANDS of enthusiasts get joy rides in them yearly. A lot of people call us after the fact to see what parts we use to make our cars run the way they do.
Not trying to be a jerk, just stating the facts. If you have any questions, let me know. I would tell you all that you should be signed up here
http://www.testcardatabase.com/portal/AboutUs.aspx
for a lot of really good info and opportunities, and read your mags like Hot Rod, Mopar Muscle, Car Craft etc. A lot of companies are pretty vocal when they need test cars.

Re: Passon A-855: is there still a waiting list? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1646932
07/17/14 02:20 AM
07/17/14 02:20 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Pretty sure Jamie tested several in different cars, one was a 10 sec. A body, for at least a year or more before he sold a single one.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Passon A-855: is there still a waiting list? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1646933
07/17/14 02:30 AM
07/17/14 02:30 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Quote:

dumb thought, how about getting Jamie's OD gearset for an A833, and putting yourself on the waiting list for the A855? might even be able to work out a deal to trade in the 4 speed gearset when the 855 is ready? that way you can (eventually) get the transmission you want, while enjoying the car in the meantime without cutting it up.

I'm not the early adopter type at my expense. I like to see that something works before I start throwing money at stuff. To revert my whole car back to factory driveline would cost over 4 times what it costs me to have the TKO rebuilt, and twice as much as the Legend 5 speed. Both of which have a lot of R&D behind them. If Jamie wants me to put his transmissions through some torture tests for R&D at his cost I wouldn't turn down the opportunity.

sorry, my response was geared more towards AlexP's original post

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Passon A-855: is there still a waiting list? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1646934
07/17/14 09:56 AM
07/17/14 09:56 AM
MD
RTSE4ME Online content
top fuel
RTSE4ME  Online Content
top fuel

MD

I saw a Legend 700 install post here on Moparts, seemed there were some modifications to the tunnel and torsion bar cross member needed to get the driveline angle corrected.

I went and found that post. There were a couple installs on that post. One install used the original AT tunnel and only had to cut a hole for shifter. He did notch the t-bar cross member for speedo clearance.
The other install had to notch much more of the t-bar cross member to get the tail shaft up.
Seems like if the tail shaft housing had some minor tweeks this would be nice alternative.

Re: Passon A-855: is there still a waiting list? [Re: Skeptic] #1646935
07/17/14 12:10 PM
07/17/14 12:10 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

That comment might be just a little heavy handed, but regardless for saying what you think.

I give a lot of credit to Jamie for sticking with this project.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Passon A-855: is there still a waiting list? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1646936
07/18/14 09:30 PM
07/18/14 09:30 PM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
No one is entitled to free product to test in their R & D vehicles. If you want to use the product put your money up. Jamie does not need to give you his product to test for your endorsement. His work speaks for itself.

I have tortured his other transmissions and they work wonderful. I paid him for his product and gave him lots of feedback - I even calculated shifts per lap for him. You guys have no clue how hard he works and what he did to bring this fully tortured and tortured product to the market, so quit whining and be patient.

Re: Passon A-855: is there still a waiting list? [Re: ThermoQuad] #1646937
07/18/14 11:09 PM
07/18/14 11:09 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington

Im one of the privledged who has recieved one and can tell you that its a work of art. Im so impressed with it that I got back into (the substantially long) line for another one so I can add one to my other car as well.

Carry on Jamie, we've got your back buddy!

Re: Passon A-855: is there still a waiting list? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1646938
07/18/14 11:54 PM
07/18/14 11:54 PM
FL-USA
C
Chuck West Offline
Chuck West  Offline
C

FL-USA
He's an outstanding person, who works his azz off and his products, are even better!

Old Glory Automotive, Inc.
www.oldgloryauto.com
Re: Passon A-855: is there still a waiting list? [Re: Chuck West] #1646939
07/19/14 03:28 AM
07/19/14 03:28 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Firstly, it seems that there was a loss of context or what I typed wasn't read by some folks as what I meant, so I will clearly state here that I in no way feel entitled to or am diminishing his product. However if the opportunity presented itself where I would be allowed to have one of his transmissions in one of our cars, I wouldn't turn it down.

Secondly, I regularly purchase parts from Jamie for various builds. Quite frankly, when ever we are building or repairing anything that uses factory driveline components, he is the only vendor I order from.

Page 2 of 2 1 2