07/14/14 03:46 AM
07/14/14 03:46 AM
sandwich IL
sublimehemi Offline OP
enthusiast
sublimehemi  Offline OP
enthusiast

sandwich IL
well its tough decision on these...my 70 charger is finally getting hotchkis full tvs...qa1 k and qa1 lowers...with borgason box along with my very light weight all alum 528 hemi efi pushing 680hp mildy...i live by route 66 so i want to run on the speedway and click some 10s on the dragstrip...then drive to cruise night...any help....price is close on these...ty

70 charger ,all aluminum 528 hemi 727 cope rmvb,680hp 670 tq,full sequential holley hp efi,full hotchkis tvs,qa1 k and lowers,borgeson steering box cass viper 11.75 with cass s-trac dana 3.54
Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: sublimehemi] #1646287
07/14/14 05:54 AM
07/14/14 05:54 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

well its tough decision on these...my 70 charger is finally getting hotchkis full tvs...qa1 k and qa1 lowers...with borgason box along with my very light weight all alum 528 hemi efi pushing 680hp mildy...i live by route 66 so i want to run on the speedway and click some 10s on the dragstrip...then drive to cruise night...any help....price is close on these...ty

They let street cars on the 1.5 mi tri oval speedway? Or is there a road course there that not listed on wikipedia?

Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: autoxcuda] #1646288
07/14/14 08:36 AM
07/14/14 08:36 AM
Central IL
T
Trojmn Offline
Trojmn  Offline
T

Central IL
Chicago region SCCA does autox at Joliet so be sure to work that into your racing schedule

Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: sublimehemi] #1646289
07/14/14 11:12 AM
07/14/14 11:12 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
The two major differences bewteen our Fox shock and the other brands is Quality Construction and Tuning. No one else on the market specifically valves shocks for our Mopars. They all have a ballpark, or in the case of QA-1 or Viking, they just have a shock that covers a wide range and it is up to you to find the tuning. With our adjustable shocks the shock is tuned to be slightly softer than our non-adjustable in the softest setting, and gets stiffer from there. It's something that has to be driven on to be truly believed. Ask anyone running our shocks compared to what ever they were running before and see what they say.

Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1646290
07/14/14 11:51 AM
07/14/14 11:51 AM
mass
K
kotacars Offline
kotacars  Offline
K

mass
Do you have coilover a for a early a body ? And a non adjustable rear shock for a lowered early a body?

Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: Trojmn] #1646291
07/14/14 01:05 PM
07/14/14 01:05 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
Steve/Autoxcuda and Trjmn -- The Joilet Autobahn, as has been written about many time on our chat-lines, is a 3.5 mile road course. The track is located less than 4 miles SW of the other Joilet race tracks (banked NASCAR oval, small oval and drag strip). In fact, the Autobahn is a private "country club" only about 15 years new. The track hosts many club events (Hooked-On-Driving, MCSCC, SCCA, NASA, BMWs, Corvettes, Ford events, motorcycles, etc... all done with track rentals for the day and/or wknds, as well as throughout the week Mon-Fri).

Actually, the track is divided into a North 1.5 mile road course, and a South 2.0 mile road course. AVG lap MPH each track ~70.. some cars faster ~80... the straights allow ~100-130 max pending your car's abilities, but then there are typical 60-90 degree turns at the end of each straight... demnanding reduced speeds.

The Chgo Region SCCA Solo season holds most of their ~8 events at the drag strip parking lot... large area, but not really desirable for a monster car with huge horsepower, etc, as the courses are all pylons.. sometimes toght courses, but the lot's size allows some free-flow courses.... AVG MPH ~45-50... max MPH ~60-70 rarely attained.

The Joilet Autobahn is a very clean, well-maintained and overall nice place to go racing.. or to just observe.. and even to take a few laps around pending the event. They also have a separate medium-speed go-kart track, and a designated pylon autocross lot (small and too tight for most big cars).... overnight camping, clean bathrooms/showers, outdoor cafe. Car rentals/driving lessons, etc, are also available.... arrive and drive.

Wknd of Oct 4-5 I'll be competing in the final HSAX (Saturday, 4th), then on Sunday, 5th, I'll probably be the Pace Car for W2W races all day.... COME TO THE JOLIET AUTOBAHN if you can!

8208017-DSC08405.jpg (145 downloads)

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: kotacars] #1646292
07/14/14 01:51 PM
07/14/14 01:51 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Do you have coilover a for a early a body ? And a non adjustable rear shock for a lowered early a body?

We have coil overs in prototype right now on a couple of cars, but no conversions are planned for Mopars at this time. The packaging on Mopars and any perceived or gimmick advertisements for the current coil overs just aren't there in an apples to apples comparison to our kit. That said, for your early A our shocks SHOULD work, since we only have lowered applications in mind, but I would call us with your measurements and make sure your spring rates are compatible with our tuning. If our shocks don't fit, we can make a set that will.

Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: sublimehemi] #1646293
07/14/14 04:14 PM
07/14/14 04:14 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

You might want to assemble the pitman arm on that Borgeson box before you install it? There have been issues with quality control on the welding on of the mounting plate too. I have difficulty with a one shock fits all scenario as our cars weight different, with various different suspension parts and weights of engines, driveline components etc... drivers weight too!(lol) For that reason I went with QA1 double adjustable, been great so far. I can dial in for a comfortable ride for the street or aggressive for the track.

Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: brads70] #1646294
07/14/14 07:33 PM
07/14/14 07:33 PM
Woodinville, WA
Viol8r Offline
super stock
Viol8r  Offline
super stock

Woodinville, WA
Quote:

Quote:

You might want to assemble the pitman arm on that Borgeson box before you install it? There have been issues with quality control on the welding on of the mounting plate too. I have difficulty with a one shock fits all scenario as our cars weight different, with various different suspension parts and weights of engines, driveline components etc... drivers weight too!(lol) For that reason I went with QA1 double adjustable, been great so far. I can dial in for a comfortable ride for the street or aggressive for the track.

I agree with the QA1 statements. We have run our QA1's at several events now with success. You can run them very aggressive, a bit more aggressive then the single adjustable versions of the Fox shocks. The QA1's are a Twin tube shock so they are going to have a different feel then the monotube Fox design. For what we do, the difference was only slightly noticeable from my seat. I recommend either, but I if you can afford the Fox shocks....they are the stuff.

1968 Pro-Touring Dodge Charger
*2011 Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge Invitee
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html
Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: Viol8r] #1646295
07/15/14 12:39 AM
07/15/14 12:39 AM
sandwich IL
sublimehemi Offline OP
enthusiast
sublimehemi  Offline OP
enthusiast

sandwich IL
thank you dan for my new fox single adjustable shocks and torsion package...and thanks to everyone for their input on the subject...im sure i will have loads of fun with them

my borgeson box gave me no troubles what so ever...many threads showing... i have the small spline box and i used pro forged stock ratio pitman and moog stock idler along with firm feel roller bearing...center link is all perfectly level as well....no troubles at all...box also went on new qa1 k with no troubles as well and is not cocked either lets see how well my steering shaft mates up to assembly...hopefully i will not have to shim...will post pics soon...

70 charger ,all aluminum 528 hemi 727 cope rmvb,680hp 670 tq,full sequential holley hp efi,full hotchkis tvs,qa1 k and lowers,borgeson steering box cass viper 11.75 with cass s-trac dana 3.54
Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: sublimehemi] #1646296
07/15/14 12:43 AM
07/15/14 12:43 AM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

thank you dan for my new fox single adjustable shocks and torsion package...and thanks to everyone for their input on the subject...im sure i will have loads of fun with them

my borgeson box gave me no troubles what so ever...many threads showing... i have the small spline box and i used pro forged stock ratio pitman and moog stock idler along with firm feel roller bearing...center link is all perfectly level as well....no troubles at all...box also went on new qa1 k with no troubles as well and is not cocked either lets see how well my steering shaft mates up to assembly...hopefully i will not have to shim...will post pics soon...

Nice! I'm sure you will enjoy the improvements!

Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: brads70] #1646297
07/15/14 01:12 AM
07/15/14 01:12 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
I found that the non-adjustable Fox/Hotchkis shocks were a huge improvement over the Bilstein RCD's on my BB 1.06" tb Dart. I could see where an adjustable rebound version would be the cats anus with bigger bars in the 300lb/in realm.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: 72Swinger] #1646298
07/15/14 01:53 AM
07/15/14 01:53 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I found that the non-adjustable Fox/Hotchkis shocks were a huge improvement over the Bilstein RCD's on my BB 1.06" tb Dart. I could see where an adjustable rebound version would be the cats anus with bigger bars in the 300lb/in realm.

I have RCD's with 1.12" bars. I wonder if they are keeping up. On the right wavy surface at the right speed they can wollow a bit. I'd have to run something else to compare to.

Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: Viol8r] #1646299
07/15/14 03:12 AM
07/15/14 03:12 AM
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal
Quote:

I recommend either, but I if you can afford the Fox shocks....they are the stuff.

I priced the double QA1's at about $1000 a set and the single Fox shock at about $800 a set when I bought them

73 `Cuda
Instagram: @rylispro
YouTube: RylisPro
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: sublimehemi] #1646300
07/15/14 11:15 AM
07/15/14 11:15 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Not a problem. Thanks to everyone else who is enjoying our shocks! We've put a lot of work into them and love to hear people are getting a kick out of them.

Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1646301
07/19/14 01:36 AM
07/19/14 01:36 AM
Central IL
T
Trojmn Offline
Trojmn  Offline
T

Central IL
Dan would you/could you share a shock dyno graph of the hotchkis adjustable shocks?

Last edited by Trojmn; 07/19/14 02:11 AM.
Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: Trojmn] #1646302
07/19/14 07:07 AM
07/19/14 07:07 AM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
If possible I would like to see a comparison between a popular KYB gas-shock and an adjustable shock in various conditions.

I'm personally still on the fence on 'just' buying (adjustable) shocks for my ride because I'm afraid it might not give the results I would like, being my car is 100% street driven, although 'enthusiastic'.

'Maybe' what I really want in my old car is an active variable suspension;
Stiffer shocks at higher speeds and a more comfy setting at lower speeds. And have a 'good' setting when dealing with speedbumps and rough roads for instance.
I have a feeling this is something only a computerized system could provide (with matching pricetag)... Or, maybe I'm just being picky...

Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1646303
07/19/14 01:11 PM
07/19/14 01:11 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA

Quote:

Dan would you/could you share a shock dyno graph of the hotchkis adjustable shocks?

Sorry, we've spent too much time and money on development to openly share that information.

Quote:

If possible I would like to see a comparison between a popular KYB gas-shock and an adjustable shock in various conditions.

I'm personally still on the fence on 'just' buying (adjustable) shocks for my ride because I'm afraid it might not give the results I would like, being my car is 100% street driven, although 'enthusiastic'.

'Maybe' what I really want in my old car is an active variable suspension;
Stiffer shocks at higher speeds and a more comfy setting at lower speeds. And have a 'good' setting when dealing with speedbumps and rough roads for instance.
I have a feeling this is something only a computerized system could provide (with matching pricetag)... Or, maybe I'm just being picky...

Our shock tuning video is a great demonstration in the difference between an off the shelf shock, the RCD/Bilstien and The Fox/Hotchkis. The amount of car control is unbelievable as you progress through the shocks.

While not as much variable control as say... a magnetic shock or the new electronic adjustable shocks that are starting to appear on the market, with our specific chassis tuning and the digressive disc technology, the shock is very forgiving at low speeds and then ramps up progressively the harder you drive on them. This shock is something to feel, as it drives and cruises nice (my wife has them in her 62) but allows to go straight to the track for a proper thrashing.

Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1646304
07/19/14 11:53 PM
07/19/14 11:53 PM
Central IL
T
Trojmn Offline
Trojmn  Offline
T

Central IL
Im mainly interested in the rebound dampening values. obscure the specifics all you want but I'm curious to know what how much adjustment there is. I'm not at your site while i type this but IIRC they are made for the bars out of the the hotchkis TVS at whatever WR that would be... Say do they have enough range that can they dampen a bar with another +100lbs/in or for that matter would a -50lb/in wr bar and NOT feel over damped?

how "digressive" is your digressive piston stack? compared to a bilstien that's a little more accessible?

If i crank up the rebound, am i going to jack the car down by the end of the run?

A-body autox is new territory for me, im used to FWD neons/SRT4 im trying to gather at least SOME information.

custom valving available?

Re: talk shocks new fox single adj, qa1 double, viking dbl [Re: Trojmn] #1646305
07/20/14 12:53 AM
07/20/14 12:53 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
If you do the wheel rate math, they shocks are well within the boundaries of the valving. Even if you are using factory bars. You will notice a significant loss in roll resistance with a lighter spring and would be the most adverse effect of the car.

and yes, these shocks are stiff enough to hold the suspension in compression and extension to some degree. You can press down on a corner of the car and it will remain compressed for some time until the shock bleeds down. Your phrasing and FWD experience listed is telling. Our spec Celica was the same way. After a session on the track the car would be an inch lower than when it started because of the amount of rebound we had dialed into the dampners. Our shocks aren't that aggressive and unless you are racing a purpose built car, you wouldn't want that valving on the street.

Page 1 of 2 1 2