12/07/08 06:39 PM
12/07/08 06:39 PM
Banana Republic
FM3AAR Offline OP
top fuel
FM3AAR  Offline OP
top fuel

Banana Republic
The wife has a 2001 Patriot Blue Caravan which we purchased new. It's in great shape with no rust. A while back I noticed a few small bubbles appearing under the paint on the area under the gas tank filler door. What was strange was the paint was not chipped in this area. Why it started rusting under the paint is beyond me. Anyway, it has now progressed to a single bubble about the size of a quarter. I am going to sand it down and remove all traces of rust before it rusts through the sheet metal. Since we are dealing with an area about the size of a quarter, what is the easiest and cheapest way to refinish this small area? I am not wanting to refinish the whole panel. I also don't want to invest in quarts (I imagine this would be the smallest amount an automotive paint store would deal with right?) of primer, paint and clearcoat. Would the spraycan DupliColor system be a good way to repair this small section? Say use their primer over the bare metal, spray it with their Patriot Blue paint and hit it with a clear coat if they even make that? Or do you stop with their paint. If so how does the paint blend with the adjacent clearcoat? I've also heard that an automotive paint store can load up a spraycan with what ever paint color you need. Would that be a better way to go? We're talking about an 8 year vehicle, a spot about the size of an quarter, it wouldn't have to be perfect and I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money, just mainly stop the rust and have it look decent. Any advice from you painters would be appreciated. Thanks

“You’ll own nothing” — And “you’ll be happy about it.”
K. Schwab

Re: Painters, need paint touch up advice [Re: FM3AAR] #164026
12/07/08 10:05 PM
12/07/08 10:05 PM
albany ny
05dakota Offline
I Live Here
05dakota  Offline
I Live Here

albany ny
my guess is that it rusted thru from the back and u will find a pin hole.

Re: Painters, need paint touch up advice [Re: 05dakota] #164027
12/07/08 11:19 PM
12/07/08 11:19 PM
Banana Republic
FM3AAR Offline OP
top fuel
FM3AAR  Offline OP
top fuel

Banana Republic
Quote:

my guess is that it rusted thru from the back and u will find a pin hole.

Good point, never thought of that possibility.

“You’ll own nothing” — And “you’ll be happy about it.”
K. Schwab