04/24/14 09:21 PM
04/24/14 09:21 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
I finally finished my installation of a Tremec TKO-600 into my 1970 Dodge Dart. There were some challenging moments, but it went pretty much as expected. We did have to modify the floor and the torsion bar crossmember, but we retained the original tranny support x-member (with some modifications) and kept the original driveline angle. We used stock pedals and the stock firewall hole for the master cylinder pushrod. (It's a hydraulic actuation system for the clutch.) I've honestly only driven it about 30 miles since completed, but I'm very happy with the outcome. The acceleration in first gear is fantastic and it cruises the highway at 2200-2400 rpm with my 3.55 gears.

But the main reason I'm posting this is not to brag (well, maybe just a little) but to share an invaluable resource. As I was diving into this project I had the good fortune to get to know Paul Coffey of Modern Driveline. For many years now Modern Driveline has offered 5 and 6-speed conversion kits for Fords and GM but they've also done some Mopars and are looking to do more. Without Paul's knowledge, help and encouragement I'd probably still be sitting here with a pile of parts scratching my head. If you're looking to put a TKO, a T56, or even a T5 in your Mopar Paul can probably help you. You can find him at paul@moderndriveline.com or 208-453-9800.

By the way, for those that are wondering why I didn't go with something like Passon's 5-speed, there are 2 main reasons. First is cost. It was a lot less expensive to go this route. Second, as a matter of personal preference I wanted the shifter in the middle of the tunnel. I find the stock A-body shifter hump forces me to put my right foot in an uncomfortable position.

Here's a link to a slideshow with a punch of pictures of the install:
http://youtu.be/5n67-K41YkA

8123299-Shifter1.jpg (247 downloads)

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: My 1970 Dart TKO-600 install [Re: MadMatt] #1611643
04/25/14 02:11 AM
04/25/14 02:11 AM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada
Nice work! looks like it was not a crazy amount of fab work. What was your final cost for the install parts?

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: My 1970 Dart TKO-600 install [Re: 67autocross] #1611644
04/25/14 02:26 PM
04/25/14 02:26 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Quote:

Nice work! looks like it was not a crazy amount of fab work. What was your final cost for the install parts?

No, it really wasn't too bad on the fab side. The only piece that was kind of a challenge was the angled spacer for the master cylinder, but Modern Driveline used mine as a prototype and will start carrying them soon. I'll have to double check the total cost, but I think it was around $3500 - $3800 including the trans, bellhousing, clutch, etc. Some of the pieces I had stockpiled from swap meets like the pedals and floor shift column. (I've been planning this for several years.) I'll see if I can put together some kind of parts/price list and post it later.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: My 1970 Dart TKO-600 install [Re: MadMatt] #1611645
04/27/14 03:23 PM
04/27/14 03:23 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
I added up my bills and it was a little more than I thought, a total of about $4400. That includes the tranny, the Quicktime bellhousing, the clutch, fly wheel, hydraulics, driveshaft, speedo cable, shifter boot, tranny mount, hardware kits, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff. It doesn't include the pedals, the floor shift column, the sheet metal for fabbing, and a few other odds and ends.

Re: My 1970 Dart TKO-600 install [Re: MadMatt] #1611646
04/27/14 03:55 PM
04/27/14 03:55 PM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada
Quote:

I added up my bills and it was a little more than I thought, a total of about $4400. That includes the tranny, the Quicktime bellhousing, the clutch, fly wheel, hydraulics, driveshaft, speedo cable, shifter boot, tranny mount, hardware kits, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff. It doesn't include the pedals, the floor shift column, the sheet metal for fabbing, and a few other odds and ends.

Thats not 2 bad if you don't mind a bit a bit of metal work, you could save around $1000 over the other 5 speed swap if you are changing an automatic.
You driving it yet?

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: My 1970 Dart TKO-600 install [Re: 67autocross] #1611647
04/27/14 11:43 PM
04/27/14 11:43 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Quote:

Thats not 2 bad if you don't mind a bit a bit of metal work, you could save around $1000 over the other 5 speed swap if you are changing an automatic.
You driving it yet?

Not as much as I want to. It's been raining on all my days off, and with MT drag radials on the back wet roads are not my friend. I will tell you that the first (and only) time I got a chance to floor it in 1st gear it really surprised me and caused me to back out of it. The change from a 2.45 first gear to a 2.87 first gear, along with the loss of my sluggish torque converter really made a huge difference. It felt like I'd bolted on a 100hp nitrous shot, and the thing got really squirrely.

Next time I'll warm the tires first, stay in it, and it should really be some fun! May get it out to the track next month to see how my ET has changed. Though I did the swap with the intention of moving away from a drag car and more towards a handling/touring kind of setup. Next up is some suspension upgrades, some different rear tires, and modern AC.

Re: My 1970 Dart TKO-600 install [Re: MadMatt] #1611648
04/28/14 12:46 PM
04/28/14 12:46 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Nice Work.

Passon's transmission is geared toward the mopar owner that refuses to do any modification to install any non factory. If you aren't afraid of a then there is no reason not to do what you did, you have a transmission with aftermarket support that is eaier to get parts for and rebuild yourself ... not a knock against Passon's transmission , it is what it is .

Last edited by JohnRR; 04/28/14 02:10 PM.
Re: My 1970 Dart TKO-600 install [Re: JohnRR] #1611649
04/28/14 01:07 PM
04/28/14 01:07 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Quote:

Nice Wor.

Passon's transmission is geared toward the mopar owner that refuses to do any modification to install any non factory. If you aren't afraid of a then there is no reason not to do what you did, you have a transmission with aftermarket support that is eaier to get parts for and rebuild yourself ... not a knock against Passon's transmission , it is what it is .

I agree. Passon's transmission looks like a terrific bit of engineering and I certainly considered it. But the combination of cost and other factors pushed me the way I went. And even with Passon's trans I would have had to weld in a new floor hump and z-bar supports if I went with a mechanical linkage. So, overall, the amount of fab work involved wasn't much more. Maybe just a bit more thinking, measuring, and planning.

Plus, going this way, I had local support from Modern Driveline and a ton of aftermarket solutions to choose from for any problems.

Re: My 1970 Dart TKO-600 install [Re: MadMatt] #1611650
04/28/14 02:12 PM
04/28/14 02:12 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Nice Wor.

I agree. Passon's transmission looks like a terrific bit of engineering and I certainly considered it. But the combination of cost and other factors pushed me the way I went. And even with Passon's trans I would have had to weld in a new floor hump and z-bar supports if I went with a mechanical linkage. So, overall, the amount of fab work involved wasn't much more. Maybe just a bit more thinking, measuring, and planning.

Plus, going this way, I had local support from Modern Driveline and a ton of aftermarket solutions to choose from for any problems.

Conversion to the stock mopar setup, linkage and all supports, is a piece of cake compared to what you did, I did it in my backyard when I was 17.

Re: My 1970 Dart TKO-600 install [Re: MadMatt] #1611651
04/28/14 02:14 PM
04/28/14 02:14 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Nice Installation Matt , that's what HotRodding is all about, I know the A body is the most challenging install for most when going with the TKO 600, very "tall" case, even for B/E installs, but you pulled it off professionally ...who did you source the transmission from?, and what's the OD ratio?

Mike

Re: My 1970 Dart TKO-600 install [Re: DAYCLONA] #1611652
04/28/14 05:14 PM
04/28/14 05:14 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Quote:

Nice Installation Matt , that's what HotRodding is all about, I know the A body is the most challenging install for most when going with the TKO 600, very "tall" case, even for B/E installs, but you pulled it off professionally ...who did you source the transmission from?, and what's the OD ratio?

Mike

Yeah, the case height was definitely the biggest challenge, especially since I was determined to maintain the original drive train angles. But in the end we got it spot on, and the floor tunnel came out great.

I got the transmission as a re-man unit from Modern Driveline, http://www.moderndriveline.com/ and it came with carbon fiber lined rings, a shift rail/finger modification for better shifting, a Liberty Surface Enhancement on the gear set and .64 OD.

Re: My 1970 Dart TKO-600 install [Re: MadMatt] #1611653
04/28/14 11:10 PM
04/28/14 11:10 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Yeah, the case height was definitely the biggest challenge, especially since I was determined to maintain the original drive train angles. But in the end we got it spot on, and the floor tunnel came out great.

I got the transmission as a re-man unit from Modern Driveline, http://www.moderndriveline.com/ and it came with carbon fiber lined rings, a shift rail/finger modification for better shifting, a Liberty Surface Enhancement on the gear set and .64 OD.

Thanks for the info

Mike

Re: My 1970 Dart TKO-600 install [Re: DAYCLONA] #1611654
04/29/14 12:34 PM
04/29/14 12:34 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Quote:

Thanks for the info

Mike

By the way, should you want to contact them for anything, best guy to talk to is Paul Coffey, paul@moderndriveline.com