12/04/08 12:54 PM
12/04/08 12:54 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Hey gang, I need some advise on several levels.

I am building a 38 Plymouth business coupe. I am using a Mustang 2 front suspension style via Fatman.

Right now it has a late model 8 3/4 in it that was there when I bought it. Its going to be a full fendered rig as I have all the parts, fenders, grille that are near perfect.

I now need to decide on what motor. I would love a 5.7 HEMI but I hear thats an expensive endeavor due to the wiring harness, ect. I planned on finding a salvage vehicle and pulling the motor, trans, computer ect.

The car will have electric windows, after market air and creature comforts. I want this to be a driver that can run cross country.

So that said, I keep hearing that a nice 360 is a LOT cheaper in all respects???

Can anyone give me some details on both, costs, what is available in the way of wiring for both, ect.

I am no wiring expert and will have some help from a guy who is not a mopar guy, but understands EFI, ect.

I dont mind spending a few more bucks, 2-3K to get the 5.7. running, and going but cant aford an outrageous cost difference when I know a nice built newer 360 will do the job and give me a nice RUMBLE when running.

any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated. The car will more than likley also use a rack and pinion style steering.

Dave

Re: ADVISE NEEDED-5.7 HEMI compared to 360 EFI or carb? [Re: RUMBLON] #161083
12/04/08 09:06 PM
12/04/08 09:06 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Depends how much power you really need and what kind of 360 you want. If you want to just drop in a stock magnum 360 w/ stock efi, that'll be cheap and can get everything easily from the junkyard. If you want to rebuild a 360, well then for what you'd spend to do that you could purchase a low mileage takeout 5.7. For you, the electronics and all the other conversion bits would cost nearly the same between the two, maybe a couple hundred more for the 5.7 electronics than the 360 stuff scored from a junkyard, but that's a drop in the bucket. If you want to take a tired 360 and rebuild it to the 5.7's 340hp, you will spend as much as just buying a good low mileage 5.7. 5.7's with 40-80k on them are not hard to find and I usually see them on ebay for 1-2k.

Re: ADVISE NEEDED-5.7 HEMI compared to 360 EFI or carb? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #161084
12/04/08 09:32 PM
12/04/08 09:32 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

I can tell you a bit about the 360.
I got a junkyard motor, no transmission and just the wiring. Ran me 800 bucks.
They claimed 80k miles on it. Don't know how true that is. I bought a gasket kit and Feets and I stripped it down to check it and reseal it.
Cost like another 100 bucks.
Still had the crosshatch in the bores, so I decided to run it as is.
Spent around 3k total so far, but that includes some wiring upgrades, exhaust, conversion hoses to get the old power steering to match up with the new pump, the classic auto air system I put in earlier to match up with the new compressor on the magnum motor, center sump oil pan and conversion motor mounts, and other odds and ends.

That doesn't count the efi. I have seen costs for efi run anywhere from around 500 bucks for the mega squirt to over 5k. I have also read someone mapped out the stock efi and got it working, but don't have any other details.
I was going to use Painless's system, but they cancled the project.
I have all the pieces, but it will run me at least another 650 to get it running. I could go carbed, but I already have the high pressure electric pump and regulator set up.

Anyway, figure 4k when I am done.

Based on what I have read, it would be another 3 to 4k for the hemi conversion depending on your fabrication skills and what you can salvage out of the donor vehicle.

I used the truck exhaust manifolds, so that came with the motor. I think with the hemi you have to go aftermarket which tags on another 800 bucks or more. It nickle and dimes, but it adds up.

Re: ADVISE NEEDED-5.7 HEMI compared to 360 EFI or carb? [Re: RUMBLON] #161085
12/04/08 11:39 PM
12/04/08 11:39 PM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

A small block would be the best bet. I wouldn't mess with fuel injection for any amount of money. Honestly I would mock up a junker 318 get it to run around the yard a little bit. Get the bugs worked out and upgrade if need be. My best friend built a 51 GMC pick up with a 305. He said I never enjoyed driving a car so slow. Most of the cruises you just putt around and everyone with a stock motor has no problems. With all the products out there for a small block I wouldn't think of a hemi or anything fuel injected.

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Re: ADVISE NEEDED-5.7 HEMI compared to 360 EFI or carb? [Re: moparpollack] #161086
12/05/08 02:58 AM
12/05/08 02:58 AM
Sorrento, BC, Canada
4speeds4me Offline
master
4speeds4me  Offline
master

Sorrento, BC, Canada
I'd probably start with the KISS rule...and go 360 carbed. I built my 360 with KB107's. Machining and buying pistons/rods (new pistons/reconditioned rods) ran me les than 700. Got a deal on a second hand new cam and lifters...150. Bought a set of NIB eddies that were never ran for 1500, and a near new intake for 200...and the Eddies weren't necessary...the deal was just there. Had they not popped up I'd have gone the Enginequest route or something along those lines. Fact is, I spent less than 3K by shopping carefully. And hotroddave40 has proven that a carb can get fine mileage and driveability...you can always add injection later on, but it's one less thing to troubleshoot on the new project...especially if it's not something you're really comfortable and familiar with...and a carb is easier to find parts for when your on the 4th leg of the HotRod Power Tour in the middle of "you got a purty mouth" wherever...

2 Demons...no, not my kids!