Back In Iowa
B
belv2vert66 Offline OP
pro stock
belv2vert66  Offline OP
pro stock
B

Back In Iowa
Picked up my 408 from Shady Dell Friday and was reminded that I have no fuel pump eccentric. So I need to design and install an electric fuel pump system. A look on line pretty much so confused me with all the choices. The motor made 498 HP and 520 TQ. The car is a 66 dart that sees quite a few street miles and the track as well. Luckily I have a 3/8 sending unit and 3/8 stainless steel factory style line from the sending unit forward. I want the system to be trouble free and as un obtrusive to the look of the car as possible (think sleeper)But, if it means doing it "right" I can live with the look. I really want to avoid the line coming to the passenger side fender well with a regulator and 2 3 foot braided steel lines looping around to the carb. I am sure it works awesome but not the look I am after. My questions are:

Can I use the 3/8 sending unit as my pick up and avoid welding in a sump?

I read the install instructions for several pumps and it says to mount it lower than the tank. Yet tons of pictures I see on line clearly show the pump above the tank. I have seen a lot of pics where there is a factory tank with a rear sump welded in and the pump mounted on the rear frame rail above the sump ? What is possible here ?

Do I need a return line from the regulator. I see Holley makes a black pump that makes less noise and will run cooler. Does it work well ? Or is it hype ? I don't want to have any issues with vapor lock.

Ideally I would like to use the factory pick up in the sending unit. Run the Holley Black pump. No return line, plumb the regulator in right by the carb as part of it's inlet. Am I crazy ?

Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: belv2vert66] #1610187
04/21/14 12:02 PM
04/21/14 12:02 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Picked up my 408 from Shady Dell Friday and was reminded that I have no fuel pump eccentric. So I need to design and install an electric fuel pump system. A look on line pretty much so confused me with all the choices. The motor made 498 HP and 520 TQ. The car is a 66 dart that sees quite a few street miles and the track as well. Luckily I have a 3/8 sending unit and 3/8 stainless steel factory style line from the sending unit forward. I want the system to be trouble free and as un obtrusive to the look of the car as possible (think sleeper)But, if it means doing it "right" I can live with the look. I really want to avoid the line coming to the passenger side fender well with a regulator and 2 3 foot braided steel lines looping around to the carb. I am sure it works awesome but not the look I am after. My questions are:

Can I use the 3/8 sending unit as my pick up and avoid welding in a sump?

I read the install instructions for several pumps and it says to mount it lower than the tank. Yet tons of pictures I see on line clearly show the pump above the tank. I have seen a lot of pics where there is a factory tank with a rear sump welded in and the pump mounted on the rear frame rail above the sump ? What is possible here ?

Do I need a return line from the regulator. I see Holley makes a black pump that makes less noise and will run cooler. Does it work well ? Or is it hype ? I don't want to have any issues with vapor lock.

Ideally I would like to use the factory pick up in the sending unit. Run the Holley Black pump. No return line, plumb the regulator in right by the carb as part of it's inlet. Am I crazy ?

All good questions and you will find lot's of people who have done it wrong and will say it's fine when it's not when the weather get's hot. You will shorten the life of the pump if you cause it to cavatate by restricting the inlet by trying to get the pump to suck up hill and a 3/8" OD pickup is not big enough to supply enough fuel to prevent cavation with a electric performance fuel pump.

The warmer it is, the harder it is to suck gas. Do you want to worry about that during the summer when we drive our cars?

That's because gas will vaporize real easy under vacuum(suction) with a electric hi performance pump. Your electric fuel pump can not suck vapor, not at all.

Yes the pump must be gravity fed, that means the stock 3/8" pickup is not good or OK in hot weather. You need a sump, I know what a PIA.

And yes you need a return with a electric pump especially in hot weather.

Too bad you don't have a eccentric, it would make it so much cheaper and easier for you to use a mechanical pump and not have to modify your stock tank. Yes a mechanical pump would keep up with your motor.

Good luck, good for you for asking.

Fuel transfer is a black art that few understand. The really fast guys figure it out by the school of hard knocks most of the time.

Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: belv2vert66] #1610188
04/21/14 12:33 PM
04/21/14 12:33 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Lots of ways to go at that HP level. Your existing 3/8" line will work. So will a dead head system ( no return line ). I prefer gearotor style pumps. Mounting doesn't have to be below the tank pickup, but should be as low as practical for street operation - and rubber isolated for noise. Pump should have an internal bypass if you run a dead head system. Fuel line should be as far away as possible from any heat sources in the engine compt. area. You should run pre and post filters, but just a post filter will be ok if you know your tank is clean. Pre filter can be a cleanable screen type while the post filter can be a replaceable type. a QUALITY pressure reg. is a good idea - again mounted away from heat sources ( along with the post filter ). Right side fender well is the usual area. The system ( at your HP level ) should be able to fill a 1 gallon gas can in about 30 seconds. If you live in a very hot area, or you have a lot of under hood heat to contend with, a return style fuel system might be a consideration. Good luck building your system.

8119684-livewires.jpg (36 downloads)

Fastest 300
Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: Crizila] #1610189
04/21/14 01:35 PM
04/21/14 01:35 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I use my stock tank with a 3/8 pickup and line on my 63. I use the Holley black pump and when I mounted it I found out its very hard to try and mount it lower then a stock tank as it would be to close to the ground. Mine is mounted about level with the tank and works fine for me. It works good enough to run 10's with no fuel starving problems at all. Only problem I had was this pump gas fuel boiling in the carb and flooding the eng but it looks like I fixed it as I ran my fuel line in the pass wheelwell and took it out from running along the frame rail under the hood. Now it runs along the top of the pass wheelwell and comes in thru a hole in the fenderwell and has seemed to cured that. I wanted to stay with my stock tank also so my fuel gauge works good. Ron

Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: 383man] #1610190
04/21/14 10:08 PM
04/21/14 10:08 PM
Back In Iowa
B
belv2vert66 Offline OP
pro stock
belv2vert66  Offline OP
pro stock
B

Back In Iowa
Thanks for the ideas guys ! Keep em coming.

My engine compartment is tight in this early A so I am concerned about the heat.....

Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: belv2vert66] #1610191
04/21/14 10:24 PM
04/21/14 10:24 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Quote:

My engine compartment is tight in this early A so I am concerned about the heat.....

I ran 3/8 pickup, stock tank and a dead headed Holley blue pump in a high 10 sec car without issue..... And always with the fuel tank Full.
One time( while racing at a national event ) I forgot and the tank was 1/2 full and in second gear it uncovered the pickup due to fuel slosh while making a pass and stumbled badly... Back out of it.... Would run fine again....made me a big believer in fuel cells for racing.... But at that power level with the tank topped off I never had an issue

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: belv2vert66] #1610192
04/21/14 10:28 PM
04/21/14 10:28 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Hughes engines cam extension so you can run a regular mech pump/LA timing cover for the pump to mount.(cheap/easy/trouble free)

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: RapidRobert] #1610193
04/21/14 10:49 PM
04/21/14 10:49 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Hughes engines cam extension so you can run a regular mech pump/LA timing cover for the pump to mount.(cheap/easy/trouble free)

This sounds like something to consider.

Sure you can drag race them all day long and even drive them to and from the strip with a electric pump sucking through the stock pickup? But have you ever really driven them during the summer for extended period of time?

A holley blue pump won't suck through a 3/8" pickup all day long on a hot day and not give you any trouble deadheaded! Especially if you live at higher altitudes.

Most times when you think the problem is up front with boiling fuel, it is in back in the rear at the inlet of the electric pump when it's not gravity fed.

Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: Challenger 1] #1610194
04/22/14 12:42 AM
04/22/14 12:42 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This sounds like something to consider.

Sure you can drag race them all day long and even drive them to and from the strip with a electric pump sucking through the stock pickup? But have you ever really driven them during the summer for extended period of time?

A holley blue pump won't suck through a 3/8" pickup all day long on a hot day and not give you any trouble deadheaded! Especially if you live at higher altitudes.

Most times when you think the problem is up front with boiling fuel, it is in back in the rear at the inlet of the electric pump when it's not gravity fed.

I use to do it with the Holley red pump all the time and now I use the black pump. But I drive it alot as I drove to Carlisle in July on the 95 degree high humidity day. Its about 90 miles one way and then I drove around there alot and sat in line moving slowly for about 1/2 hr getting to my spot on the show field and never had a problem then. Now that was 3 years ago before and fuel boiling showed up as the pump gas was better then. To me the pump has gotten worse the last few years. I do run it deadheaded as I have all my life but if it does ever happen again I will go to a return line system. I do agree with the pump gas now and if you live in a very hot area it would be best to run a return line system. Good luck , Ron

Last edited by 383man; 04/22/14 12:44 AM.
Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: RapidRobert] #1610195
04/22/14 11:10 PM
04/22/14 11:10 PM
Back In Iowa
B
belv2vert66 Offline OP
pro stock
belv2vert66  Offline OP
pro stock
B

Back In Iowa
Quote:

Quote:

I wondered about this. I am already running the early timing cover and tab cause of my Radiator inlets and outlets, pulleys and all that. I just figured it was time to upgrade. I am really considering this after looking at the cost and appearance of the electric system and return line. Wish I would have thought of it when the engine was being assembled ! Of course everything is dry as abone coming off the dyno. No leaks !

Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: belv2vert66] #1610196
04/23/14 04:43 PM
04/23/14 04:43 PM
Harleysville, PA USA
T
Tommy D Offline
mopar
Tommy D  Offline
mopar
T

Harleysville, PA USA
I run this combo in my street car and ran it in our 10.80 ET N/SS car for some time. It was suggested to me by a well-known class racer, and I was told it's good to 10.0's or so. I run a small Carter electric pump (through the 3/8" line). The pump is mounted inside the axle hump, and is out of sight. This combo also uses a small Carter (40 gal per hour) mechanical pump. On the street car, i use only the mechanical pump to drive around town or to shows. I have a toggle for the electric pump which is needed when making all out drag strip passes or pulling a hill. The street car went 11.17 @122.2MPH whith this set up. It's cheap. I've had this system in the car for well over ten years, and I've had no problems. Everyone I tell says it won't work. T

8122052-elecpump.jpg (33 downloads)
Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: Tommy D] #1610197
04/24/14 08:35 PM
04/24/14 08:35 PM
Back In Iowa
B
belv2vert66 Offline OP
pro stock
belv2vert66  Offline OP
pro stock
B

Back In Iowa
That is interesting ! do you run a regulator at the carb ?

Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: Tommy D] #1610198
04/25/14 11:25 AM
04/25/14 11:25 AM
weymouth,mass.
M
meepmeep70 Offline
master
meepmeep70  Offline
master
M

weymouth,mass.
Quote:

I run this combo in my street car and ran it in our 10.80 ET N/SS car for some time. It was suggested to me by a well-known class racer, and I was told it's good to 10.0's or so. I run a small Carter electric pump (through the 3/8" line). The pump is mounted inside the axle hump, and is out of sight. This combo also uses a small Carter (40 gal per hour) mechanical pump. On the street car, i use only the mechanical pump to drive around town or to shows. I have a toggle for the electric pump which is needed when making all out drag strip passes or pulling a hill. The street car went 11.17 @122.2MPH whith this set up. It's cheap. I've had this system in the car for well over ten years, and I've had no problems. Everyone I tell says it won't work. T

,so can run both?? interesting,hit the electric when needed?

Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: Tommy D] #1610199
04/25/14 11:31 AM
04/25/14 11:31 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

That carter pump will allow suck through unlike other pumps and is a street pump not a hi performance hi volume pump.

But why use both? A regular mechanical pump will do the job just fine without a electric pump. If the mechanical pump fails, you could fill the crankcase with gasoline using a electric like that.

But by waiting to turn it on like going up a hill, you run the risk of running your motor lean and it can hurt it. It don't take much to hurt them when it's lean when running out of gas under load.

And 10 seconds is fast, but almost any pump can keep up with a 10 second car. So just because your car runs 10s don't mean your fuel system is up to snuff. Talk to a low 9 or 8 second car owner, they know how to move fuel.

Since it works for you...

Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: Challenger 1] #1610200
04/25/14 05:10 PM
04/25/14 05:10 PM
Chicago, IL
TonyS451 Offline
master
TonyS451  Offline
master

Chicago, IL
If you are racing the car regularly, I would install a cell and 140gph pump with good flowing pre filter and -8 line. If you are a twice a year racer and care more about stock practicality, I would be willing to bet the Holley red pump would work for you with the 3/8 line and stock sender, without a return, regulator or sump.

2 kids and a dog
Re: Need help with fuel delivery system [Re: belv2vert66] #1610201
04/27/14 08:40 AM
04/27/14 08:40 AM
Harleysville, PA USA
T
Tommy D Offline
mopar
Tommy D  Offline
mopar
T

Harleysville, PA USA
Nope...The mechanical pump regulates the fuel. We've run this on an RB cross-ram set up, an RB with single carb, and currently an RB with six pack set up. Works great. TD