04/22/14 09:02 PM
04/22/14 09:02 PM
Syracuse,NY
CompWedgeEngines Offline
master
CompWedgeEngines  Offline
master

Syracuse,NY

Sometimes ya just gotta wonder.... ...there are a whole lot of " assumptions" about peoples expertise, character and experience here, both good and bad, but at least some good has come from this in the end.Sometimes its all about reading between the lines. With any product, whether you like it or not, if it is an attempt, or a success at advancement, regardless of make, model or actual results, it often helps the whole market. There is one thing that will never change, we all will never agree.If it werent for someone saying " no thanks", " I dont agree" , that cant happen" , I dont like the product" and on and on down the line, nothing would ever advance. A dear friend of mine, who lets say, has been quite successful in drag racing, told me about 25 years ago, " Todd, you'll hear all kinds of things from all kinds of people in racing. The one thing you need to remember is, there are idealists, and there are realists.Without one, you wouldnt have the other, and, oh yea, the racetrack never lies".....carry on....

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: CompWedgeEngines] #1608505
04/22/14 10:02 PM
04/22/14 10:02 PM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland
Todd, excellent post. I agree. I don't think anything bad came out of this post. In fact, a lot of good, I think. As a new company, we are always relying on new changes. Those changes come from feedback, good and bad. Manufactures can only improve on things if there is quick feedback and honest, brutal, and sometimes maddening criticism. It's a fact. There is a lot of experience on Moparts. Together a lot is accomplished, singularly it is nearly impossible. Thanks for all of the posts. We will try to continue to improve.

Join the quickest team in motorsports. Team FireCore. CustomWiresets.com
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: sunroofgtx] #1608506
04/22/14 10:10 PM
04/22/14 10:10 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
I made up my set of Ultra40's years ago and Matt bought a set of Firecores last year. We are both very happy with both sets of wires. I would probably try Firecores but my big issue is I have to get them from a dealer and pay tax, then you add in shipping costs and being an old school racer those added costs add up real quick. Where as I call Summit and pay no tax, no shipping, and they are on my door step the next day. Sooner or later the right circumstance will come by and I will probably try a set.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Crizila] #1608507
04/22/14 10:20 PM
04/22/14 10:20 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline OP
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline OP
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Thanks Crizila, I didn't intend to start a pi$$ing match. I enjoy learning and plug wires seemed to be some sort of black magic. Knowledge is power and closed minds are empty minds.

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Crizila] #1608508
04/22/14 10:58 PM
04/22/14 10:58 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm There is a lot of information there, good or bad I don't know.

I posted a while a question a while back about for opinions on Moroso Ultra 40s verses Firecore's. I hadn't made up my mind yet so I've been doing some reading.

I'd like to thank the OP one more time, as his original post has more technical content than the rest of the posts combined - including mine. Too bad this thread has turned in to a pissing contest - to some degree.

Just because everyone does not agree, it's NOT a pizzing match..

There are good opinions on this post. I've seen nothing wrong here..

I respect Monte probably more than anyone on this board, but his opinion won't change my mind here..

That's what's great about our freedom of speech in this country..

We don't always have to agree..

You can get that in Russia if you like..

Chris..

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1608509
04/22/14 11:42 PM
04/22/14 11:42 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
There's a few good wire manufacturers out there and yes they probably are pretty close in performance but service after the sale is where Firecore50 is clearly the best.
Say you were doing some work to your car and accidentally pinched a wire and it was damaged beyond repair.Could you call Moroso or MSD and have a new one in your hand in a few days?
I really don't think they would send you a single wire like you could get from Rick
Gus

8121405-moriaburnout.JPG (32 downloads)

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1608510
04/22/14 11:46 PM
04/22/14 11:46 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm There is a lot of information there, good or bad I don't know.

I posted a while a question a while back about for opinions on Moroso Ultra 40s verses Firecore's. I hadn't made up my mind yet so I've been doing some reading.

I'd like to thank the OP one more time, as his original post has more technical content than the rest of the posts combined - including mine. Too bad this thread has turned in to a pissing contest - to some degree.

Just because everyone does not agree, it's NOT a pizzing match..

There are good opinions on this post. I've seen nothing wrong here..

I respect Monte probably more than anyone on this board, but his opinion won't change my mind here..

That's what's great about our freedom of speech in this country..

We don't always have to agree..

You can get that in Russia if you like..

Chris..

I guess "pissing match" wasn't the best explanation I could have used for threads with , IMO, very little real content past the original post.

Fastest 300
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1608511
04/23/14 01:21 AM
04/23/14 01:21 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

I don't CARE if they are worth any power..........I care that they WORK and solve the RFI issues on the cars I tune, which they do.......others don't. End of that story.

Don't care to wear my motor out on the dyno swapping wires around looking for a few HP..........waste of time. I will find a few horsepower somewhere else. I just want the wires to DO THEIR JOB, the Firecores do

Monte

Been super busy and forgot about this thread...

OK, Monte......but, 99% of the people that start up a spark plug wire thread believe and are asking if there's any power gain in switching.......You and I know that there isn't.....but like motor oil, air filters and spark plugs, there's a LOT of VOODOO hype in the advertising industry....and that stuff rubs me the wrong way...........

ANYONE who frequents this forum has heard the "these wires are so good, you'll have to jet your motor up and it'll make more power" sales pitch.......I'm not naming names and I'm NOT knocking the wires......I'm NOT saying they're bad or they don't work as good as any other quality wire......For that reason, I won't buy them...(which I'm sure won't put much of dent in their sales).......

I'm sure you'll agree, Monte, that Dave Leahy at www.electrimotion.com knows his stuff.......I've known and worked with him since I was a kid....While I was at his shop a few years ago I quizzed him about wires (knowing what he was going to say)......His response, about the wires I'm talking about, was that he'd tested them and they weren't any better than any other wire......At the time, he used MSD wires and made his own boots and may still be doing that (I hadn't thought to even ask him about that the last time I talked to him)........Dave's a no BS kinda guy.......

You know I have HUGE respect for you, Monte..... and as you say, I'm sure they're good wires........

What do you want me to say Wayne??? Yes, I know Dave Leahey, yes he is an electronic genious........but personally, I don't give a damn what he said about the wires. ALL I KNOW, is that I put the wires in question on SEVERAL EFI cars that we were having RFI issues with. No other changes and the problems went away.....Like I said, what else you want me to say. I don't know how to make it any more clear. Are they the absolute best wire in the whole world.....hell, I don't know, DON"T CARE........all I know is they work well for me.

You don't want to even try them for whatever weird reason it is you have...FINE. I sure don't care and doubt Rich does either.

Some of these posts just F*&^ing amaze me

Monte

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1608512
04/23/14 01:33 AM
04/23/14 01:33 AM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

What do you want me to say Wayne??? Yes, I know Dave Leahey, yes he is an electronic genious........but personally, I don't give a damn what he said about the wires. ALL I KNOW, is that I put the wires in question on SEVERAL EFI cars that we were having RFI issues with. No other changes and the problems went away.....Like I said, what else you want me to say. I don't know how to make it any more clear. Are they the absolute best wire in the whole world.....hell, I don't know, DON"T CARE........all I know is they work well for me.

You don't want to even try them for whatever weird reason it is you have...FINE. I sure don't care and doubt Rich does either.

Some of these posts just F*&^ing amaze me

Monte

Wow...what an attitude...

For 98% of the guys on this board, RFI is NOT an issue........so if that's your main selling point, then you're on the wrong board......... I do believe that the wires helped your customer's cars RFI issues.....so, what you COULD say is "If you think you have an RFI issue, odds are, these wire would help, but if you're wanting to buy them because you think they may be worth some power, you're looking in the wrong place..".......THAT's what I want you to say (since you asked).......

Rick sent the wires to Dave to get tested.....and Dave, the admitted "electronics genius" by you, actually DID test them and said they weren't any better than any other wire.....That's way better than Rick saying "these wires are so good you'll have to readjust your A/F because of a cleaner burn" and ALL he has to back that up is "We've got dozens of testimonials stating that fact. My gut tells me that they are not lieing.' He has done ABSOLUTELY ZERO testing to validify that but he keeps saying it over and over.......that's snake oil salesmanship........ If what he's saying were true, wouldn't you think he'd do SOME kind of testing???????

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: pittsburghracer] #1608513
04/23/14 08:16 AM
04/23/14 08:16 AM
Mo.
racerx Offline
master
racerx  Offline
master

Mo.
Quote:

I made up my set of Ultra40's years ago and Matt bought a set of Firecores last year. We are both very happy with both sets of wires. I would probably try Firecores but my big issue is I have to get them from a dealer and pay tax, then you add in shipping costs and being an old school racer those added costs add up real quick. Where as I call Summit and pay no tax, no shipping, and they are on my door step the next day. Sooner or later the right circumstance will come by and I will probably try a set.

the charges do add up why don't Jegs/Summit carry these wires ?

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: racerx] #1608514
04/23/14 10:48 AM
04/23/14 10:48 AM
NE Ohio
DoubleD Offline
top fuel
DoubleD  Offline
top fuel

NE Ohio

the charges do add up why don't Jegs/Summit carry these wires ?

Take a look at Summits house wires - 8.5MM same Delphi wire - you just don't get the custom fit and service - but they are made from the same wire.

Personally I have used ULTRA 40's for years – but it was not until I switched to a digital ignition that I noticed and impact of RFI from the wires themselves - RFI is a much more complex discussion than ohm’s per foot – But in the end it comes down to personal knowledge and preference and what works best for your rig – the computer controlled fuel injection cars require a whole new set of rules – something companies like Delphi have extensively engineered and tested over the last 20 + years – hence the reason wires on new cars last almost the lifetime of the vehicle.

We have come a long way from the yellow jacket wires of the 60's

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: DoubleD] #1608515
04/23/14 11:30 AM
04/23/14 11:30 AM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
Shielding is very important, even if you "think" rfi is not a concern.... just ask anyone that burned up a piston a v-10 truck motor due to crossfire that detonated a piston to an early death.... saw that at least a handfull of times back in the day.

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: J_BODY] #1608516
04/23/14 12:28 PM
04/23/14 12:28 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Just for everyone's info, I did pose this question to "Performance Distributors Inc" ( D.U.I. - their "live wires" ). " Can you give me the build specs on your ignition wires?" Reply: " The wire itself is 8MM spiral core and the resistance value is 300-350 ohms per foot. The spiral core is stainless steel wire wrapped around a magnetic core. Thank you." No mention of any R.F.I. protection and I have no idea who makes them for the company. Not an endorsement. Just passing along the info I got from them. Like many, no tech info on their web sight.

Last edited by Crizila; 04/23/14 12:30 PM.

Fastest 300
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Crizila] #1608517
04/23/14 12:49 PM
04/23/14 12:49 PM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA
Since everybody is adding their 2 cents I'll add mine not that it matters

My FireCore wires are so good that I am stilling running the same set 3 years later even though I have a credit with Rick for another set. His pro mod boots are awesome.

BB, TT5,Procharged 3300lb Street Car 4.79/154
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: bigtimeauto] #1608518
04/23/14 01:49 PM
04/23/14 01:49 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
For what it's worth the manufacture of the wires we replaced claimed their wires were not the issue and since we were using MSD componants and multiple electronic devises and an altinater that we should use a silicone/fiberglass wire sleeve over the wires to prevent high voltage leaks.The only issue we had with that is this shielding cost as much as a wire set.
No one is telling anyone who's wires to buy or who's wires are better,we are just recommending who's wires we choose and why we recommend them based on our experience which was all good.
To our friend John(pittsburghracer),stop by the shop and we will give you a set of Firecore wires to try at no cost.You try them and you will like them.

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: B G Racing] #1608519
04/23/14 02:17 PM
04/23/14 02:17 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline OP
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline OP
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
The boots are the only thing I've never liked about my Firecores.

8121909-DSC00611.JPG (123 downloads)
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: justinp61] #1608520
04/23/14 02:19 PM
04/23/14 02:19 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline OP
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline OP
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Other side.

8121911-DSC00612.JPG (77 downloads)
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: justinp61] #1608521
04/23/14 02:28 PM
04/23/14 02:28 PM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA

BB, TT5,Procharged 3300lb Street Car 4.79/154
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: bigtimeauto] #1608522
04/23/14 02:51 PM
04/23/14 02:51 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline OP
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline OP
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
I ordered the Magnecors today and will post some photos when I get them installed. It may be next week because I plan on running the car with the Firecores to make sure the pop is still there and the Magnecors to see if to see if it goes away.

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1608523
04/23/14 03:05 PM
04/23/14 03:05 PM
Ontario,Canada
F
firefighter3931 Offline
top fuel
firefighter3931  Offline
top fuel
F

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

that's snake oil salesmanship....

C'mon Wayne....you're better than that. That comment was uncalled for !

I've personally seen what Rick has described regarding the leaning out on a buddies car with my LM1 installed. The idle AFR leaned out when we installed a set of the 8.5's and we had to adjust the main jetting as well. The plugs stay clean now and the car runs soo much better. Going off memory we went up 2 sizes on all 4 corners....it's been awhile, can't remember for sure ?

Does that make me a snake oil salesman as well ? Was I a snake oil salesman when i promoted your supertuning video on another website. I hope not because that link is still stickied and when members open up that subforum the link to your product is right at the top of page 1.

I bought your CD and reviewed it....then recommended it to the members because i felt it was an excellent learning tool and still is. I feel the same about the Firecore product and hundreds of members who've purchased them report excellent results. My own personal experience with Firecore made me a believer. My current set is 5yrs old and still going strong.

It's unfortunate that a few who have had some bad issues with split plug boots are quick to condemn the product as a whole. There are better boots available now than in the past and Rick is allways willing to update as needed. You can't beat the customer service and willingness to bend over backwards.

The high HP power adder guys on the bullet have been very pleased with their results using FireCore 50 wires. I think their "testimonials" count for something...don't you ?

Personally, i don't have a problem with anyone voicing their opinion on a product but when insults are thrown around that's a little over the top for me.

Ron

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6