Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't care about, nor fall for the "smoke and mirrors" games, but I have run LOTS of different wires over the years and I will say this..............In this age of electronics and EFI, RFI noise is your biggest concern with wires. So far the BEST wire I have ever run in this type application is the Firecore 50 wires. And YES, Rick GAVE me the first set I ever tried to put on an EFI car I was having issues with. But I have BOUGHT several sets since then and will continue to do so.

Some wires, I won't mention brands, are regarded as some of the BEST wires you can get and are probably some of the most popular as well. But I have seen MANY problems, solved on MANY cars, by taking these "popular" wires off and replacing them with Firecores.

Monte

So, what you're saying is that they're not worth any power, correct? (That's the question I think most people want to know)...

wouldn't you think if you reduced noise you may gain a little hp in some application like , Monte says?

It doesn't matter what I "think"...just looking for nonbiased facts....what's noise have to do with power on the average streetcar?...point is, Monte had a huge reply about the wires and zero talk about them being worth any measureable power....

If you can't handle the truth, you're living a lie.......
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1608465
04/20/14 02:00 AM
04/20/14 02:00 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
RMI or any other ignition EMF "noise" can affect , and will, affect most modern cars and most EFI or other type of computer controlled ignitions and fuel controlled system Will noise affect a carbureted motor with no fancy electroinc controlled igntion, probally not That being said I learned the hard way that when MSD says to NOT use solid metallic core spark plug wires on thier race 7 series ignition boxes they are telling you that for reason I know several west coast NHRA stock class racers that bought, installed according to Nology directions, and use the Nology spark plug wires in the early to mid 1990s, thier cars where fast before and after the spark plug wire swaps, neither one picked up any measureable ET or MPH that I can remember Look very carefully at most of the new spark plug wires, then think about what that conductor is suppose to do They should complete the circuit between the coil and the spark plugs with the least amount of energy lost

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1608466
04/20/14 02:24 AM
04/20/14 02:24 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't care about, nor fall for the "smoke and mirrors" games, but I have run LOTS of different wires over the years and I will say this..............In this age of electronics and EFI, RFI noise is your biggest concern with wires. So far the BEST wire I have ever run in this type application is the Firecore 50 wires. And YES, Rick GAVE me the first set I ever tried to put on an EFI car I was having issues with. But I have BOUGHT several sets since then and will continue to do so.

Some wires, I won't mention brands, are regarded as some of the BEST wires you can get and are probably some of the most popular as well. But I have seen MANY problems, solved on MANY cars, by taking these "popular" wires off and replacing them with Firecores.

Monte

So, what you're saying is that they're not worth any power, correct? (That's the question I think most people want to know)...

wouldn't you think if you reduced noise you may gain a little hp in some application like , Monte says?

It doesn't matter what I "think"...just looking for nonbiased facts....what's noise have to do with power on the average streetcar?...point is, Monte had a huge reply about the wires and zero talk about them being worth any measureable power....

I don't CARE if they are worth any power..........I care that they WORK and solve the RFI issues on the cars I tune, which they do.......others don't. End of that story.

Don't care to wear my motor out on the dyno swapping wires around looking for a few HP..........waste of time. I will find a few horsepower somewhere else. I just want the wires to DO THEIR JOB, the Firecores do

Monte

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1608467
04/20/14 04:58 AM
04/20/14 04:58 AM
wine country
8urvette Offline
super stock
8urvette  Offline
super stock

wine country
If we are going to talk about the ignition system asa whole, the spark plug wires, as cab said, only have a simple purpose to serve. "a coat hanger" could do the job. What I have seen on lab scopes where a real loss in energy comes from is the rotor air gap, and the plug gap.

THE ROTOR AIR GAP "RAP" is the gap between the rotor and the distributor. It is a huge gap!!! it takes a lot of energy to jump that, then it travels down its insulated and isolated wire to do it once again. A really good wire, will have a nice boot on it, that can take some heat, some pulling, and just plain neglect and still not let any energy short to a ground.

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1608468
04/20/14 06:45 AM
04/20/14 06:45 AM
MD
HEMI472 Offline
super stock
HEMI472  Offline
super stock

MD

I don't CARE if they are worth any power..........I care that they WORK and solve the RFI issues on the cars I tune, which they do.......others don't. End of that story.

Don't care to wear my motor out on the dyno swapping wires around looking for a few HP..........waste of time. I will find a few horsepower somewhere else. I just want the wires to DO THEIR JOB, the Firecores do

well just so you know there is people who try to make power on just the motor and not rely on a crutch for a baby bottle to make power

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: HEMI472] #1608469
04/20/14 07:12 AM
04/20/14 07:12 AM
Chesterfield Twp. Mi.
J
John Burdine Offline
pro stock
John Burdine  Offline
pro stock
J

Chesterfield Twp. Mi.
Quote:

well just so you know there is people who try to make power on just the motor and not rely on a crutch for a baby bottle to make power

are you serious?

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1608470
04/20/14 08:00 AM
04/20/14 08:00 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

don't you think you are being a little to critical ? i mean we are talking about 1hp in some cases. you see someone who has a dyno has stated they seen a consistent gain. but geez it's 1hp or so.

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: HEMI472] #1608471
04/20/14 08:02 AM
04/20/14 08:02 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

a crutch, really? HP is HP and you are talking to one of the most knowledgeable persons on the board.

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Quicktree] #1608472
04/20/14 12:48 PM
04/20/14 12:48 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Well, what ever you prefer / indorse, one thing is for sure, the info supplied by Magnecor on their web sight ( O.P. ) - whether you believe the info or not, is a lot more than any other web sight I have seen ( including the wires I use - D.U.I. "live wires" ).

8118677-livewires.jpg (73 downloads)

Fastest 300
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: HEMI472] #1608473
04/20/14 01:35 PM
04/20/14 01:35 PM
Bellevue, NE
C
Charger453 Offline
super stock
Charger453  Offline
super stock
C

Bellevue, NE
Quote:

And you wonder why people have to go to yellowbullet for advice. Guys w stupid comments like that chase the knowledgeable people away.

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: justinp61] #1608474
04/20/14 02:22 PM
04/20/14 02:22 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline OP
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline OP
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Quote:

Quote:

Monte

So Monty you've actually ran Magnecor wires? 8.5mm or 10mm?

I'm going to take the lack of a reply as a no.

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: justinp61] #1608475
04/20/14 02:42 PM
04/20/14 02:42 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Yes I have........could I tell they were ANY better than what I switched from NO.....

Monte

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: HEMI472] #1608476
04/20/14 02:46 PM
04/20/14 02:46 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Normally, I wouldn't even reply to such a STUPID comment, but hey, today is Easter, so why not. I never mentioned "baby bottles" whatever that is, but I assume you are referring to the fact that I tune nitrous cars..........but here is a FACT for you cupcake. I also build specific purpose N/A class motors, so yeah I know a thing or two about that kind of power as well.

Now you have a nice day and go hide some eggs

Monte

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1608477
04/20/14 04:35 PM
04/20/14 04:35 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline OP
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline OP
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Yes I have........could I tell they were ANY better than what I switched from NO.....

Monte

Thanks

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: justinp61] #1608478
04/20/14 05:10 PM
04/20/14 05:10 PM
Ontario,Canada
F
firefighter3931 Offline
top fuel
firefighter3931  Offline
top fuel
F

Ontario,Canada
The Magnacor wires look descent enough but i can't comment from personal experience as i've never used them.

I can comment on the FireCore 50's however ;

Several years ago i went through two sets of MSD 8.5's in less than a year. Initially the wires ran great but over a short period of time my engine would develop a miss. The plug boots kept splitting and the wires were arcing to the header tubes. When it happened a second time....that was enough for me.

At that point I purchased a set of FireCore's from Rick and the car ran great. About 2 years later the dreaded miss returned so I started looking. The boots were fine but I discovered that the #2 wire had made contact with a header tube and burned all the way through to the solid core. Car still ran the same ET/MPH but had the miss. Ordered a new replacement from Rick and it promptly arrived. All was well.

Just for grins I ohmed that burnt lead and it still measured ~ 50 ohms/ft. I found that very surprising given the condition of the lead. That pretty much sold me on the quality of the product.

Since that time Rick has asked me to become a dealer and i've sold hundreds of sets over the past few years all over north america and around the world. I have yet to have one bad comment and everyone who buys the FireCore product has been extremely pleased with the quality & fit. Most if not all report improved idle quality and throttle response often necessitating carb adjustments because they're now running lean with the increased spark energy.

Are there better products out there ; maybe, maybe not...but i can say that these wires work great from what i've personally experienced and the personal feedback from hundreds of customers.

Ron

Last edited by firefighter3931; 04/21/14 10:50 AM.
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: firefighter3931] #1608479
04/21/14 12:26 AM
04/21/14 12:26 AM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland
Guys, I really appreciate all of the talk about ignition wires. EVERYONE is correct if they said that there is no magic in an ignition lead. It's job is to get electricity from point A to point B, so it can jump a gap on the spark plug inside the piston cylinder. If the cylinder is burning the fuel as efficiently as possible, consistency is achieved. But, if somewhere along the line, there is an inconsistency, like a rich or lean condition, "dirty" cylinder with oil, carbon, or compression leakage, one might see an lack of complete burn. If someone wanted to richen or increase the cylinder pressure with a power-adder, but the spark is not strong enough, somebody intelligent might consider either increasing the amount or duration of spark, or decreasing the gap the spark needs to jump. Most racers can not increase their dwell because of their ignition system does not allow that tuning. Another way is to increase the amount of "juice" going into the cylinder. Hotter Ignition source. Many of the "top " racers go to a Magneto Ignition. But, if the ignition wire will not allow that much millijoules or amps of energy to travel down the conductive core, it will quickly heat up so much as to melt, catch fire, or just burn up. We saw this in the mag-machine while testing at DSR. There are purpose-built wires for different levels of ignition. For this reason(to my knowledge), there are only two manufactures of ignition wires used at the Top Fuel level. If you feel that there is "magic or mojo" that a sales campaign is using to get the highest level of racers to use either of those two ignition manufacture's wires, I'm not sure you can fathom what it takes to to be competitive at that level.

As stated, I was a member here before helping spec our wires, and I'll be here long after if I ever get out of the biz. If racers can not appreciate when a manufacture, any manufacture, helps sponsor local and national races, supports racers by going to races and fixing things for free, having an open-door policy at a race or even to my home, and even being around for tech questions here, at a race, or on my personal cell phone...well. I'm sorry. We are a very small American company. We are growing, and can not achieve that growth without word-of-mouth advertising. I have not started a wire thread, to my knowledge, in years. My wife and I have bent over backwards for racers over and over...why? It's the right thing to do, and being an extremely small business, most times it costs us money out of our pocket. We get it. Sometimes a striving business needs to do this. It's funny how the quickest racers and their crew chiefs in the world swear by and trust a product, but there are still bashers who have never tried that product. That applies to ANY product in the marketplace. I still love you guys, and will still support the groups that are in this hobby.

Join the quickest team in motorsports. Team FireCore. CustomWiresets.com
Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: sunroofgtx] #1608480
04/21/14 12:48 AM
04/21/14 12:48 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Haters gonna hate Rich.........I don't really understand it either. People ask for opinions and then want to argue when your opinion doesn't match what they WANT TO HEAR. I personally don't care what anyone does, it's their money and they can spend it as they please on whatever they please, but my only thing is that you have to overlook the "crap" and know that some appreciate what is posted from guys with real world experience who are actually trying the help.

And I don't frequent this board much anymore, but when I do, it quickly becomes VERY apparent why I don't come here as much as I used to. I am definitely not part of the "clique" here and don't care to be. But for some, unless you are part of this little "special group", they don't want to hear anything you have to say. Guess I don't carry on enough inane chatter about nothing to be one of "the boys".......LOL!!!!

Monte

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1608481
04/21/14 11:30 AM
04/21/14 11:30 AM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline OP
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline OP
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Quote:

Haters gonna hate Rich.........I don't really understand it either. People ask for opinions and then want to argue when your opinion doesn't match what they WANT TO HEAR. I personally don't care what anyone does, it's their money and they can spend it as they please on whatever they please, but my only thing is that you have to overlook the "crap" and know that some appreciate what is posted from guys with real world experience who are actually trying the help.

And I don't frequent this board much anymore, but when I do, it quickly becomes VERY apparent why I don't come here as much as I used to. I am definitely not part of the "clique" here and don't care to be. But for some, unless you are part of this little "special group", they don't want to hear anything you have to say. Guess I don't carry on enough inane chatter about nothing to be one of "the boys".......LOL!!!!

Monte

Monte are you referring to me? When did I argue? I asked for an opinion on "Magnecor" wires, I already have Firecores. I've been chasing a pop and the plug wires are the next step. Nothing wrong with trying different stuff.

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: justinp61] #1608482
04/21/14 11:39 AM
04/21/14 11:39 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte are you referring to me? When did I argue? I asked for an opinion on "Magnecor" wires, I already have Firecores. I've been chasing a pop and the plug wires are the next step. Nothing wrong with trying different stuff.

I can't imagine who they are referring to, I can't see where anyone bashed Firecore at all. But I guess if you aren't in the firecore "clique" and dare to even think of another brand it is taken as an assault on "the boys"...LOL

Re: ANyone tried these plug wires? [Re: Charger453] #1608483
04/21/14 12:32 PM
04/21/14 12:32 PM
Texas
dannysbee Offline
master
dannysbee  Offline
master

Texas
Quote:

Quote:

And you wonder why people have to go to yellowbullet for advice. Guys w stupid comments like that chase the knowledgeable people away.

I agree. I have been a member here for quite sometime and have seen good members with considerable experience and knowledge run off by members that don't have a clue or never post till they are on their third six pack. I hope the good guys that still post know we appreciate the information and even if we read more than post were still out here.

Getting old just means you were smarter than some and luckier than others.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6