03/31/14 09:23 PM
03/31/14 09:23 PM
ON, Canada
A
AMC400Mopar Offline OP
AMC400Mopar  Offline OP
A

ON, Canada
Hopefully you guys can help with this problem that has me pulling my hair out! A bit of background first:

3 or 4 years ago the headlights on my 2004 TJ Unlimited would not turn off. It was suggested I remove the daytime running light module to see if it was the culprit. The DRL module was indeed the problem, and since all the other lights worked fine without it I just left the DRL module unhooked rather than spend 100 bucks on a new module. I have just sold my jeep, and in order to get it certified I need to get the DRLs working again.

So I bought another DRL module today. Plugged it in, no DRLs. Exchanged it for another DRL module. Still no daytime running lights! I checked the connections, fuses, checked the parking brake micro switch, tried unhooking the battery for half hour to reset the computer. Still no DRLs! Yet all the other lights continue to work just fine.

Am I forgetting something? The wiring appears to be in good shape overall, and my jeep has never been in water or even gotten muddy.
Hopefully someone else has encountered this problem before; it must be common because I see lots of jeep TJs without working DRLs around here.

Thanks for your advice!

Re: canadian-spec TJ daytime running lights dont work [Re: AMC400Mopar] #1601491
04/01/14 09:51 PM
04/01/14 09:51 PM
ON, Canada
A
AMC400Mopar Offline OP
AMC400Mopar  Offline OP
A

ON, Canada
Just an update in case any of you run into the 'no daytime running lights on your Canadian Jeep TJ' syndrome. I tried 6 different DRL modules, none of them worked and all of them malfunctioned in one way or another! But the normal hi/lo running signal brake lights work just fine with no DRL module at all.

What I ended up doing to get my jeep 'canadian legal' was to install a relay triggered by the fuel pump circuit in the fuse box. There was room in the fuse box for the relay and wires, so it looks neat. I drilled a small hole in the front of the fuse box to run the relay ground and 40A-out wire, then sealed it with silicone so water can't splash in to the fuse box. The 40a wire is spliced into the low beam wire of the headlights.

It's simple and works great with no effect on the normal lighting controls or operation. It is also easy to undo if you ever want to get rid of the DRLs again. You could also wire it this way into the front signal lights instead of the low beams; I think signal lights are legal as DRLs in Canada too, but I didn't want to push my luck...

Re: canadian-spec TJ daytime running lights dont work [Re: AMC400Mopar] #1601492
04/01/14 10:24 PM
04/01/14 10:24 PM
central Florida
VL21 Offline
pro stock
VL21  Offline
pro stock

central Florida

And it doesn't back feed the other lights? Tails and park?

It takes gasoline to interest me.
Re: canadian-spec TJ daytime running lights dont work [Re: VL21] #1601493
04/02/14 12:15 AM
04/02/14 12:15 AM
ON, Canada
A
AMC400Mopar Offline OP
AMC400Mopar  Offline OP
A

ON, Canada
Nope, no feedback to the other light circuits at all that I can tell. Only the low beams are automatically on with the engine running. With the light switch turned to parking lights, lo or hi beam it all works just the same as always.