03/25/14 12:04 AM
03/25/14 12:04 AM
Kamloops, BC, Canada
V
Vinny_Bulloch Offline OP
Vinny_Bulloch  Offline OP
V

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Looking to get my 54 Fargo on the road soon but as it is still pretty rainy here in BC I need wipers and needing to wire up the new universal switch I bought. Wondering if anyone might be able to give me a little help. looking to replace the wiper switch in my 54 fargo c-1, have a new universal switch (Cole Hersee 75212-04-BX) with 4 blades; l (low) h (high) p (park) and b (battery????) on the old switch the wiring diagram states I have B F A and Ignition, kind of stumped on how this is supposed to go together. its my first classic and dont want to screw anything up. thanks in advance.

Re: Wiper Switch wiring [Re: Vinny_Bulloch] #1598117
03/25/14 02:21 AM
03/25/14 02:21 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Quote:

Looking to get my 54 Fargo on the road soon but as it is still pretty rainy here in BC I need wipers and needing to wire up the new universal switch I bought. Wondering if anyone might be able to give me a little help. looking to replace the wiper switch in my 54 fargo c-1, have a new universal switch (Cole Hersee 75212-04-BX) with 4 blades; l (low) h (high) p (park) and b (battery????) on the old switch the wiring diagram states I have B F A and Ignition, kind of stumped on how this is supposed to go together. its my first classic and dont want to screw anything up. thanks in advance.

Vinny,
If your 54 Fargo is anything like my 54 Dodge was, it was originally a 6 volt positive ground. I'm assuming you are using a 12 volt neg ground now. If that is the case, you need to understand the power enters through the switch and grounds through the wiper motor. I was able to get low, and high, but never accomplished park. When I shut it off the wipers would stop wherever the coasted to. I got pretty good at getting it to stop near the park position. If I connected the park to anything, the wipers just kept running. I even clamped the wiper motor bracket to the bench and used a battery charger to determine which wires did which thing. It was long ago and I can't remember which wires did what, but I connected the charger ground to the bracket, and used the pos from the charger to power each wire. it will be easy to determine which wire controls which function. Powering one wire makes the motor run real fast, the 2nd wire makes it run slow, and the other wire gives it one stroke. One of the terminals on your switch may be for a washer, or for a switch light.

Also, the wiper motor was 6 volts, it ran real fast on 12 volts and eventually went up in smoke, mine lasted about a year, the wiper wouldn't run with voltage reducers in place. I suggest you spring for a 12 volt electric wiper motor and wire it accordingly. I know that is not what you want to hear, but that was my experience. Gene

Re: Wiper Switch wiring [Re: poorboy] #1598118
03/25/14 09:45 PM
03/25/14 09:45 PM
Kamloops, BC, Canada
V
Vinny_Bulloch Offline OP
V

Kamloops, BC, Canada
thanks Gene, it at least gives me a head start. was wanting to replace the motor with a 12v. was told that http://www.summitracing.com/ has them but have looked and have no idea what exact model I am looking for and being in Canada don't want to order the wrong one, pay for shipping then have to pay to ship it back and get another one.

Re: Wiper Switch wiring [Re: Vinny_Bulloch] #1598119
03/25/14 10:40 PM
03/25/14 10:40 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I don't think you are going to find a wiper motor that will work on your truck, without some type of modification, at a place like Summit. All the modern wipers have both wipers going the same direction at the same time, or they will power only one wiper, which would require 2 motors to run both wipers. The wipers on your truck run in opposite directions, they open going away from each other and close going towards each other. To do that with a modern system, you would need to set up an idler to change the direction of one of the wipers. It can be done, but will require some creative work, or you will have to modify the wiper set up on your truck, or run with only one wiper.

The only other option you may have is to check out specialty equipment offerings. I have noticed that www.robertsmotorparts.com lists a replacement 12 volt wiper motor, its not cheap and requires special wiper arms, but may be a good option. They have had the same wiper system in their books for a long time, it must work pretty well, but I have not done a wiper motor with Roberts. I have purchased weatherstripping from them in the past, and the person I spoke with had a very good knowledge of these old Dodge/Fargo trucks. I would contact them to hear what they have to say. Gene

Re: Wiper Switch wiring [Re: poorboy] #1598120
03/25/14 11:03 PM
03/25/14 11:03 PM
Kamloops, BC, Canada
V
Vinny_Bulloch Offline OP
V

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Thanks Gene, just pulled the motor casing out and seems that the passenger side gear is stripped. I didn't think I would be able to find anything at summit but an old guy from Saskatchewan was telling me I could get it there, think he was out in the cold too much over the winter. The motor has the two gear assembly's on each side and the motor is in the centre in a tube with the motor built into it if that is making sense? I will look on roberts to see if I can find anything, thanks again, Vinny.

Re: Wiper Switch wiring [Re: Vinny_Bulloch] #1598121
03/26/14 12:14 AM
03/26/14 12:14 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Vinny, the wiper on my 54 looked exactly like the one you described, except the motor windings on my motor look a little funny now. The gears on mine were still good, but if you swapped the gears into your motor, i suspect it would only be short lived before your 6 volt motor burned up as well.

Let us know how the wiper from Roberts works out, if you go that way, or whatever you find that solves the problem. Gene

Re: Wiper Switch wiring [Re: poorboy] #1598122
03/26/14 12:41 AM
03/26/14 12:41 AM
Kamloops, BC, Canada
V
Vinny_Bulloch Offline OP
V

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Thanks Gene, emailed them tonight so hopefully get a message back from them. Keeping my fingers crossed that they have something that works because I really dont want to go the ebay route. If its nice this weekend I will take some pics of the fargo and post them, never got any really before I put it away for the winter.

Re: Wiper Switch wiring [Re: Vinny_Bulloch] #1598123
03/26/14 10:53 PM
03/26/14 10:53 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
vinny,speedway motors have single 12v motor & arm kits for 49.95 and a duel setup that uses a single motor and a screw type system for duel arms, but it is 399.99 ! I got the duel system at a swapmeet for super cheap in a big box of other parts, so I'm going to use that drive in my humpback project. don't know if this helps you or not. just throwing it out there as an alternative.

Re: Wiper Switch wiring [Re: moparx] #1598124
03/27/14 12:54 AM
03/27/14 12:54 AM
Kamloops, BC, Canada
V
Vinny_Bulloch Offline OP
V

Kamloops, BC, Canada
thanks guys, might have found a 12v from a 56 p/u that should work on ebay, now to hopefully talk the seller into shipping up to the great white north