11/26/08 09:57 PM
11/26/08 09:57 PM
Western NC
68Bullit Offline OP
mopar
68Bullit  Offline OP
mopar

Western NC
Car is a mostly driver and I want something better than stock for the nice curvy roads where I live (and the hopes for a future road track day) and would like suggestions.

Am I thinking correctly to start with maybe some Koni stock appearing replacements, bigger front swaybar, installation of a rear bar, and a set of subframe connectors???? Would these changes be a noticeable upgrade over stock, and worth it???

I've already installed polygraphite bushings/accessories to the front end, and MP front disc conversion. That's the only upgrades to the front.

Please tell me how you'd better the OVERALL suspension for a big driver car including brand of aftermarket pieces with a Goal under $1200.00.....Thanks

Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: 68Bullit] #157491
11/26/08 10:22 PM
11/26/08 10:22 PM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
this is the only thing you should save up for - bolt on, no cutting or welding, beautiful installation and for the price its a no brainer for what you want - save those pennies!

http://www.reillymotorsports.com/

Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: dangina] #157492
11/26/08 10:36 PM
11/26/08 10:36 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Sounds like a great start. How did the alignment come out? A half degree or so of negative camber and some positive caster (around 3 deg if possible) will help a lot. The next step would be bigger T bars. With frame connectors and good shocks 1" bars work great on the street. The stock T bar suspension has great potential with cost effective upgrades.

Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: 68Bullit] #157493
11/27/08 12:36 AM
11/27/08 12:36 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Give the guys at www.firmfeel.com a call and get a list of upgrades from them. You should be able to upgrade torsion bars, shocks, springs, and anti-sway bar until you have it just like you want. Lighter wheels with high performance tires will also make a big difference.

Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: 68Bullit] #157494
11/27/08 02:25 AM
11/27/08 02:25 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Car is a mostly driver and I want something better than stock for the nice curvy roads where I live (and the hopes for a future road track day) and would like suggestions.

Am I thinking correctly to start with maybe some Koni stock appearing replacements, bigger front swaybar, installation of a rear bar, and a set of subframe connectors???? Would these changes be a noticeable upgrade over stock, and worth it???

Yes, noticeable. And suitable for a track day.

Quote:

I've already installed polygraphite bushings/accessories to the front end, and MP front disc conversion. That's the only upgrades to the front.

Does that conversion take Mopar facotory rotors? Nice to be able to get 11.75" dia disks on there. IMHO the factory disks swap is just as capable as these aftermarket kits with cast iron calipers. And if you use the 73-76 A-body or F/M/J spindle the upgrade to one inch larger disc is not very expensive.

Quote:

Please tell me how you'd better the OVERALL suspension for a big driver car including brand of aftermarket pieces with a Goal under $1200.00.....Thanks

OK, $1200 budget... Bang for you buck and trying to not to duplicate labor with further improvements.

• $335 1.18" T-bar from www.firmfeel.com
  • stock rear springs
  • $100 Addco 1 1/8" front if you have a factory bar allready
  • ~$50 Energy sway bar to K-member adapters
  • $240 Helwig adjustable 3/4" rear sway bar pn 6907
  • ~$50 Moog offset 7103 rubber UCA bushings for caster on stock A-arms
  • N/C shaved the rearward poly strut rod bushing like this: http://users.erols.com/mathewg/bushings.html
  • Alignment: 4.4 deg pos caster, 1 deg neg camber, 1/16" toe in
  • $500 Koni shocks or QA1 single or double adjustable

Whew! That's $1275. How'd I do??

Next improvements
  • reinforce welded 70-72 K-member with $100 70-72 sway bar to run up to 5.5 backspace front rims (might substitute this for the Koni shocks just because you have to take so much off to get to it)
  • adj. prop. valve,
  • frame connectors
  • Firm Feel Stage III power steering box
  • 13" disc AndyF brake kit
  • Doc Diff rear brake kit with parking brakes

My current setup in my 340 68 Barracuda listed below. Future plans (if money falls out of the sky) for some bigger T-bars, front and rear 275/40/17 tires on 17x9's, 13" disks with good calipers, brake ducts.

• .99 T-bar
  • stock 340 original 40 year old rear springs
  • Addco 1 1/8" front 3/4" rear sway bars
  • 245/50/15 BFG Comp TA, 15x8 rallyes, 4.5 bksp
  • 73-76 k-member welded reinforced
  • Mopar reman power steering box
  • La Carra steering wheel
  • Moog offset 7103 rubber UCA bushings for caster on stock A-arms
  • poly: LCA, strut, sway bar, leaf bushings
  • 11.75 front disk, 10" stock rear drums
    Mopar Police semi metallic disk pads, braided flex lines, adj. prop. valve, MP alum master
  • QA1 single adjustble front shocks
  • Koni SPA1 rear shocks

Last edited by autoxcuda; 11/27/08 03:53 AM.
Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: autoxcuda] #157495
11/27/08 03:24 AM
11/27/08 03:24 AM
Baton Rouge, La.
StandOnIt Offline
super stock
StandOnIt  Offline
super stock

Baton Rouge, La.
Start with the subframe connecters. Talk about stiffen it up... Then start playing with your shocks and good body mounts, sway bars, etc...

76' Volare, 5.9 magnum w/Iron heads. New best 10.68 at 123 mph 1/4 mile.
Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: StandOnIt] #157496
11/27/08 04:00 AM
11/27/08 04:00 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Start with the subframe connecters. Talk about stiffen it up... Then start playing with your shocks and good body mounts, sway bars, etc...

Then you'd have to dump the shock upgrade to stay within the budget.

I haven't had subframe connectors in the last 13 years with my setup. I'm sure they would help and I would like to get some. IMHO, you will feel bigger effects in the seat of your pants from the other stuff.

Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: autoxcuda] #157497
11/27/08 06:54 AM
11/27/08 06:54 AM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
I am unable to respond to share valuable information at this time...still waiting for our handling/suspension section...

Actually I am waiting for an adult explanation from an adult as to why we can't have a trial period for a handling/suspension section.

Maybe my adult inquiry will get another child like

Last edited by Tom_Quad; 11/27/08 09:30 AM.
Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: autoxcuda] #157498
11/27/08 10:39 AM
11/27/08 10:39 AM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
BergmanAutoCraft  Offline
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Does that conversion take Mopar facotory rotors? Nice to be able to get 11.75" dia disks on there. IMHO the factory disks swap is just as capable as these aftermarket kits with cast iron calipers. And if you use the 73-76 A-body or F/M/J spindle the upgrade to one inch larger disc is not very expensive.

Quote:

OK, $1200 budget... Bang for you buck and trying to not to duplicate labor with further improvements.

• stock rear springs
  • N/C shaved the rearward poly strut rod bushing like this: http://users.erols.com/mathewg/bushings.html

Next improvements
  • reinforce welded 70-72 K-member with $100 70-72 sway bar to run up to 5.5 backspace front rims (might substitute this for the Koni shocks just because you have to take so much off to get to it)
  • adj. prop. valve,
  • frame connectors

My current setup in my 340 68 Barracuda listed below. Future plans (if money falls out of the sky) for some bigger T-bars, front and rear 275/40/17 tires on 17x9's, 13" disks with good calipers, brake ducts.

• .99 T-bar
    Mopar Police semi metallic disk pads, braided flex lines, adj. prop. valve, MP alum master
  • Koni SPA1 rear shocks

With all due respect Steve, I can add that the Konis are nowhere near enough shock for the afformentioned t bar. I also beg to differ that the 11.75 brakes with single piston cast iron calipers rival more modern multipiston units with larger rotors. In the real world, it just isn't happening. Since he mentioned track capable, we need to put more modern options on the table...

BTW, how did you arrive at that torsion bar selection?

Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: 68Bullit] #157499
11/27/08 10:58 AM
11/27/08 10:58 AM
Virginia
J
JimG Offline
mopar
JimG  Offline
mopar
J

Virginia
I can tell you what I've done and how it worked out.

I did most of this 11 years ago, so some details are fuzzy.

1" MP torsion bars

Stiffer bushings in the upper & lower control arms (the brand name escapes me now, but for years they advertised on the back cover of all the Mopar magazines).

Addco front anti swaybar with polyurethane bushings

Koni shocks all around

MP replacement rear springs. I think they're called XHD - 7 leaves on one side, 6 on the other. My car originally came with these springs, but they had sagged, so these were stock replacements for me.

Addco rear bar - 3/4" I think

Not that it affected handling, but I did the disc brake swap and used 11.75 brakes. I have a Firm Feel stage 2 power steering box. I have a very heavy wheel/tire combo, which hurts me I know.

All that stuff helped a lot, but if I had it to do over I'd go with larger front t-bars and stiffer rear springs. In Mopar Action, Mr. Ehrenberg recommended de-arched super stock springs (back when I did this work), but never having had a set of springs de-arched, I could envision multiple intalls, uninstalls, and multiple pricey trips to the spring de-arching shop (ha!)to get the arch set right. That scared me off, so I took the easy way out, and I regret it. Again, that was 11 years ago and there are probably better options for rear springs that did not exist then.

The Koni shocks, while pricey, are nice. I wish I'd bought a Firm Feel stage 3 steering box instead of the stage 2.

Jim

Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: 68Bullit] #157500
11/27/08 01:12 PM
11/27/08 01:12 PM
Santa Cruz, California
L
Lefty Offline
master
Lefty  Offline
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
Quote:

Yes, it will feel like a different car. I would go for a matched set on the sway bars.

Also, if the Konis have to be removed to adjust, go with the QA1s as they are externally adjustible.

Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: 68Bullit] #157501
11/27/08 01:32 PM
11/27/08 01:32 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Eric,
If you are likely to upgrade the car over time, kinda one project at a time rather than a complete g-machine build all at once then I would do the subframes first--if you drive the car hard sooner or later you will want them and they set the foundation for a stiff/firm platform on which your future mods can operate at their optimum.

Then the T-bars--they are a really inexpensive upgrade that again create the basis from which other improvements can be optimized.

Brakes or Sway bars next. Brakes can be expensive, but everything else is comprimized if your brakes are not performance oriented.

Konis??? Man, they are nice, but they take up too much green ($) in a budget build.

Wheels/Tires, your way over budget now.... but we all know how important low rotational weight and performance tires can be. Maybe by this time your budget has changed

Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #157502
11/27/08 02:32 PM
11/27/08 02:32 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

• stock rear springs

Next improvements
  • adj. prop. valve,
  • frame connectors

• .99 T-bar
  • Koni SPA1 rear shocks

With all due respect Steve, I can add that the Konis are nowhere near enough shock for the afformentioned t bar. I also beg to differ that the 11.75 brakes with single piston cast iron calipers rival more modern multipiston units with larger rotors. In the real world, it just isn't happening. Since he mentioned track capable, we need to put more modern options on the table...

BTW, how did you arrive at that torsion bar selection?

By more options, means more $$$

I'm just working within stated the $1200 budget. It's easy to blank check this deal. But you've got to make compromises when working with a budget. What do you keep and what do you let go?

Sorry, I was talking about 11.75 factory disk being the same or better than the aftermarket kits that use cast iron GM calipers or early Mustang calipers for a 11" disc converstion kit. Now the MP kit seems like a factory spindle with factory slider calipers. If 68Bullit has those in 10.75" disks, then I would suggest buying some used 11.75" ~$60 slider caliper adapters and some new 11.75" disks from the parts store.

I agree Multipiston brakes would be great and better with much more potential on the track than a 11.75 stock setup. No doubt. But it will put him past the $1200 budget in one shot. The mulitpiston brakes will decrease track pad wear, stiffer track pedal, fade resistance, spread the pad clamping force...

That car is very heavy but he says he want's to drive it on the street. I don't know what he feels is stiff or too stiff. So 1.18 T-bars aren't too stiff. He can balance the car with the adjustable rear sway bar. If he wants more of a track car, go all the way up to 1.24"

I'm going for bang for your buck that you can feel. Sure we can make everything perfect and spend a ton of (someone else's) money at once. I'm going for roll stiffness first, then tire size (like 275's wide up front at least), body re-inforcement, then a big jump in brake upgrade.

Not going to do everything at once. But enough to start having fun and maybe getting out to the track to know what to do next. I think this is what TomQ has basically done too.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 11/27/08 04:33 PM.
Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: autoxcuda] #157503
11/27/08 03:40 PM
11/27/08 03:40 PM
Western NC
68Bullit Offline OP
mopar
68Bullit  Offline OP
mopar

Western NC
Don't ask me how, but I forgot to mention my wheel/tire setup. Here it is. Fronts are 16x7 (245/50-16....I think). I'll get the exact front measurement and post it. The rears are for sure 275-40-17's. Tires are 8 year old Falken Ziex series, not dry cracked yet, but hopin' they wear down fast enough for newer rubber.

Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: 68Bullit] #157504
11/27/08 03:51 PM
11/27/08 03:51 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Don't ask me how, but I forgot to mention my wheel/tire setup. Here it is. Fronts are 16x7 (245/50-16....I think). I'll get the exact front measurement and post it. The rears are for sure 275-40-17's. Tires are 8 year old Falken Ziex series, not dry cracked yet, but hopin' they wear down fast enough for newer rubber.

Not bad tires and rims. But have you tried for the heck of it to fit the rear tires in the front. What is your rear backspacing? Never hurts to try, you might be surprised.

I think 17" rims will fit most 13" hipo disc upgraded like the Willwood 6 piston and the AndyF Brembo calipers

You can run around 5.5 backspacing 17" rims in the front with the short upper ball joints and the 70-72 K-member sway bar setup. I think it might hit the 66-69 sway bar on tight turns.

What steering box do you have now?

Last edited by autoxcuda; 11/27/08 03:55 PM.
Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: 68Bullit] #157505
11/27/08 04:23 PM
11/27/08 04:23 PM
Toronto, Ont, Canada
boydsdodge Offline
super stock
boydsdodge  Offline
super stock

Toronto, Ont, Canada
Too bad we don't have a suspension section.

Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: boydsdodge] #157506
11/27/08 05:02 PM
11/27/08 05:02 PM
Western NC
68Bullit Offline OP
mopar
68Bullit  Offline OP
mopar

Western NC
Quote:

What steering box do you have now?

Stock power steering box, and it is leaking a good bit. Will need to replace

Last edited by 68Bullit; 11/27/08 05:04 PM.
Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: 68Bullit] #157507
11/29/08 12:27 AM
11/29/08 12:27 AM
Wichita,KS
B
Blakcharger440 Offline
top fuel
Blakcharger440  Offline
top fuel
B

Wichita,KS
How much a difference in ride quality vs handling between the 1 inch torsion bar and the 1.18 size?

Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: Blakcharger440] #157508
11/29/08 12:41 AM
11/29/08 12:41 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
1" is 2 or 3 steps firmer than OE "heavy duty" suspension. With a stiffened frame and good shocks 1" isn't punishing on the street. 1.1X" bars were considered race pieces. I wouldn't want to run them for a mixed street/track day car. Comments are based on running 1" bars and big firm Feel Front and rear sway bars on a BB E body.

Re: Want to upgrade suspension. Need advice [Re: Blakcharger440] #157509
11/29/08 01:32 AM
11/29/08 01:32 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

How much a difference in ride quality vs handling between the 1 inch torsion bar and the 1.18 size?

Significant. You need to compare the wheel rates and vehicle weights. The wheel rate is almost doubled. 175 vs. 338 lbs/in.

Some other opinions here but the guy with the 1.12 T-bars just got it back together and has barely driven the car yet: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=51462.0

Controling a big spring with a good shock is very important to ride quality. IIRC, Clair Davis has 1.14 T-bars with 350 lbs/in rate in his A-body. He doesnt think it's too harsh. But when changed from KYB to QA1 shocks things got much much smoother.

IIRC, Clair runs 245/45/17 series tires with 17" rims. Sidewall thickness and tire construction will make a significant diffrence too. You run a 235/40/18 and that will make the ride quality go down. Remember a 275/40/17 has a bigger sidwall than a 225/40/18

From the www.firmfeel.com website..

Bar
Diameter Rate Application Per Pair
.880 101 Drag Racing $285
.940 142 Stock HP/Police $285
1.00 175 HD/Street $285
1.06 225 HD/Race $310
1.12 270 Race $310
1.18 338 Race $335

Last edited by autoxcuda; 11/29/08 01:50 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2