Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 440 6 pack Need help with solving fuel in exhaust issue [Re: ThermoQuad] #1573273
02/09/14 06:35 PM
02/09/14 06:35 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Quote:

Trouble shooting 101 says to establish the proper baseline and proceed...

It's a good thing this is not a real help desk as I would fire every one of you...with that said - the OP needs the guide to tuning six paks which has been posted one too many times. Maybe you can help him now in a proper fashion.

Holy cow I don't know if there's any room left in the thread after that massive ego that just took up all the room...And actually did nothing to help the guy either...

Here was an old thread that Dayclona posted that can get it done... LINK
Did'nt see anything in the "bestof/tech" archives so not sure whatever you're refering to...

Last edited by screamindriver; 02/09/14 06:36 PM.
Re: 440 6 pack Need help with solving fuel in exhaust issue [Re: 62maxwgn] #1573274
02/09/14 08:59 PM
02/09/14 08:59 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

Did you change the gasket between the metering block and main body ?

I'll clarify my question,there are two metering block gaskets,if by chance you mistakenly used the one on the left with the notch,you can have the condition you mentioned.

8033452-images.jpeg (131 downloads)
Re: 440 6 pack Need help with solving fuel in exhaust issue [Re: fastnos] #1573275
02/09/14 10:08 PM
02/09/14 10:08 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
If you disconnect the fuel to the outboard carbs you will have them running very lean Hook them back up Remove both outbaord carbs and remove the lead plugs in front of the idle mixture screws in the base plates so you can adjust the idle fuelmixtures , tighten them up all the way in, very gently, and then back them both out on both ides 1/8 to 1/2 of a turn out from fully seated. Set the center carb. idle mixture scerws the same way except bring them out 1 to 1 1/2 turns from fully seated and try that Let us knwo how that works : BTW, while your removing the carbs. remove the center carb and unscrew the idle speed screw so the throttle plates are fully closed, flip the carb. over when you do this so you can verify that both the throttle plates are fully closed and not honk up for some off the wall reason Once they are fully closed verify the outboards the same way, you should be able to make the motor idle with less than one full turn in,opening it, on the center idle mixture screw from fully closed Don't we love our Mopars, especially them multi carb. rascals They do run so good once you get them close

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: 440 6 pack Need help with solving fuel in exhaust issue [Re: taboo] #1573276
03/02/14 10:56 AM
03/02/14 10:56 AM
upstate western ny
sogtx Offline
master
sogtx  Offline
master

upstate western ny
What do you mean gassing up - Do your eyes burn or do you smell raw fuel .. ?

If your eyes burn youre too lean ..

if you smell raw gas .. hope your car is outside of the garage

Quote:

Thank you all so much for help so far. I am still having the same issue though. I have replaced the power valve with another new one and made sure it was seated properly. I also replaced the needle and seats in all 3 carbs and set all three at the lowest setting possible. I also blocked the fuellines going to the outboard carbs so i am only running on the center carb. Lastly, i carefully ran the idle screw in the metering block almost all the way in. Still gassing out the garage in no time. Oddly with each change i have tried the problem does not seem to be changing at all. No improvement.

I believe the next things to check would be the timing and fuel pressure. Any other recommendations?

Re: 440 6 pack Need help with solving fuel in exhaust issue [Re: screamindriver] #1573277
03/02/14 11:15 AM
03/02/14 11:15 AM
upstate western ny
sogtx Offline
master
sogtx  Offline
master

upstate western ny
Yep it spretty sad - Quad has posted his guidelines to help people not get discouraged by six packs and to the best of my knowledge its never been inserted into the tech section..

Heres the link from the a12 forum ..

http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1298298672/0

you can take a little of quads ,you can look at some of scatpacktoms posts and a little of dayclonas or whoevers and get good results

Tom Q taught me the patience to get mine straight ..

Why wont the mods finally make it a direct link in their archives ???
The forum gets cluttered with repeat questions ( im sure im guilty of this too sometimes )

But if a search is done these guys posts should turn up..

Holy cow I don't know if there's any room left in the thread after that massive ego that just took up all the room...And actually did nothing to help the guy either...

Did'nt see anything in the "bestof/tech" archives so not sure whatever you're refering to...

Here is a guide to tune six packs for street engines. Revised 01-2011 Stroker or non stroker, big block or small block. Never the final word, but close enough for now, it gets updated from time to time. This is not for the faint of heart. If you wondered why people shy away from six paks just read on. I have compiled and rewritten the info contained from within along with my own experience from driving a six pak car with a lot of wow! for many years. When tuned properly Six pak cars turn on! faster & run far better than single 4 barrel cars. If you want your six pak car to run like it should do the dance and have the right tools to make it happen. Patience must be used throughout the process. Much of the information here can be used on a 4 barrel as well.
Quote:

Quote:

Trouble shooting 101 says to establish the proper baseline and proceed... It's a good thing this is not a real help desk as I would fire every one of you...with that said - the OP needs the guide to tuning six paks which has been posted one too many times. Maybe you can help him now in a proper fashion.

Re: 440 6 pack Need help with solving fuel in exhaust issue [Re: screamindriver] #1573278
03/02/14 11:23 AM
03/02/14 11:23 AM
upstate western ny
sogtx Offline
master
sogtx  Offline
master

upstate western ny
The six pak help here in tech archives is 13 years old

How com either one of the rivals quad or dayclonas hasn't been inserted ?

I know .. the mods only drive 2 bbl cars ..

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/fuel/7.html

Quote:

Quote:

Trouble shooting 101 says to establish the proper baseline and proceed...

It's a good thing this is not a real help desk as I would fire every one of you...with that said - the OP needs the guide to tuning six paks which has been posted one too many times. Maybe you can help him now in a proper fashion.

Re: 440 6 pack Need help with solving fuel in exhaust issue [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1573279
03/02/14 08:07 PM
03/02/14 08:07 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Check your initial engine timing. If not enough advance, your center carb could have the idle speed screw set to where the throttle butterflies are in the so called transition zone,,,,instead of almost closed where they should in order that fuel mixture screws will have their proper effect,,,,in other words, Advancing the timing(say to 20 degrees) will increase idle speed, thereby allowing you to slow it down again at the carb's idle speed screw,,,ergo butterflies are closed down properly to where idle mixture screws will have their proper effect.

Depending upon how much initial advance is established by you,,,be certain to set distributor to limit 'total' as to where you will want it,,,,likely 32 to 36 degrees.

Often when idle mixture screws do not have proper response it will be this problem(this is why often a vacuum advance will help), or a vacuum leak or float level, or blown or improper power valve. The first 2 are the simplest to check and both are common.

8059291-image.jpg (120 downloads)
Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 03/02/14 08:58 PM.
Re: 440 6 pack Need help with solving fuel in exhaust issue [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1573280
03/22/14 12:03 AM
03/22/14 12:03 AM
upstate western ny
sogtx Offline
master
sogtx  Offline
master

upstate western ny

Page 2 of 2 1 2