Tracy CA
R
rabid scott Offline OP
"You're Where?"
rabid scott  Offline OP
"You're Where?"
R

Tracy CA
Sorry, I changed the title to get a little help!

It was formerly titled: "Three Speed Wiper Switch Questions"

Short attention spans; I need to two questions in bold below answered.

Okay, trying to get the 3 speed windshield wipers going on a '73 Satellite. The switch was sitting on the seat when I got the car.

I figured it was bad, and when I plugged it in, the wipers turn on whenever the ignition is on, no matter what position the switch is in. One of the position did make them go really fast. I turned off the ignition, and unplugged the connector.

I tried to follow the bench testing procedure, but my switch has a W instead of what I think should be B/U.

I assume this means I have a bad switch.

Until I can get a replacement switch, how can I install a three position toggle switch to get them to work?

What do the different slots on the harness or blades on the switch correspond to?

The big questions are:

Do the wipers park themselves in absense of any power?

Will I hurt or burn up anything by fooling around with it?

I don't mind trying to figure stuff out, I just don't want to destroy more stuff in the process.

Thanks y'all!!

Last edited by rabid scott; 11/25/08 08:46 PM.
Re: Baby Jesus said, look at this thread!! [Re: rabid scott] #156709
11/25/08 09:43 PM
11/25/08 09:43 PM
NotRussia
2fast4yourBrain Offline
Whack top Dodger
2fast4yourBrain  Offline
Whack top Dodger

NotRussia
Nice one.

AT any rate, be sure to ground the switch itself. Does whacky things when it's not.

Re: Baby Jesus said, look at this thread!! [Re: rabid scott] #156710
11/25/08 09:45 PM
11/25/08 09:45 PM
Milwaukee, WI
In_The_Pink Offline
master
In_The_Pink  Offline
master

Milwaukee, WI
Quote:

Sorry, I changed the title to get a little help!

It was formerly titled: "Three Speed Wiper Switch Questions"

Short attention spans; I need to two questions in bold below answered.

Okay, trying to get the 3 speed windshield wipers going on a '73 Satellite. The switch was sitting on the seat when I got the car.

I figured it was bad, and when I plugged it in, the wipers turn on whenever the ignition is on, no matter what position the switch is in. One of the position did make them go really fast. I turned off the ignition, and unplugged the connector.

I tried to follow the bench testing procedure, but my switch has a W instead of what I think should be B/U.

I assume this means I have a bad switch.

Until I can get a replacement switch, how can I install a three position toggle switch to get them to work?

What do the different slots on the harness or blades on the switch correspond to?

The big questions are:

Do the wipers park themselves in absense of any power?

Will I hurt or burn up anything by fooling around with it?

I don't mind trying to figure stuff out, I just don't want to destroy more stuff in the process.

Thanks y'all!!

I wouldn't go tossing the switch just yet. If you can control the speed with the switch (do you have low, medium, and high speeds?), then the problem may be with the park mechanism in the wiper motor itself, causing the motor to never park (i.e. "turn off").

Do you have five wires at the back of the wiper switch? BR/R (washer motor), DarkBLue, BRown, Red, and DarkGReen?

Re: Baby Jesus said, look at this thread!! [Re: In_The_Pink] #156711
11/26/08 02:55 AM
11/26/08 02:55 AM
Tracy CA
R
rabid scott Offline OP
"You're Where?"
rabid scott  Offline OP
"You're Where?"
R

Tracy CA
It has six wires, looks like I have:

Big Fat Pink Wire
Big Brown Wire with White Tracer
Red Wire
Blue Wire
Brown Wire
Green Wire

I'm pretty sure the thing was grounded well.

So the wiper motor itself has a "Park" connector or switch to let it know when its in the "park" position?

4839716-sat_plug.JPG (56 downloads)
Re: Baby Jesus said, look at this thread!! [Re: rabid scott] #156712
11/26/08 02:57 AM
11/26/08 02:57 AM
Tracy CA
R
rabid scott Offline OP
"You're Where?"
rabid scott  Offline OP
"You're Where?"
R

Tracy CA
The back of the switch has spades for:
F1
W
B
A
P
F2

4839717-sat_switch.JPG (55 downloads)
Re: Baby Jesus said, look at this thread!! [Re: rabid scott] #156713
11/26/08 03:26 AM
11/26/08 03:26 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
I'm not going to comment on your wipers...Hey I live in California I don't need em.... But you'd better do something about that burnt ingnition switch connector...

Re: Baby Jesus said, look at this thread!! [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #156714
11/26/08 12:32 PM
11/26/08 12:32 PM
Central Ky, area
C
CHRYCOFAN Offline
top fuel
CHRYCOFAN  Offline
top fuel
C

Central Ky, area
I can tell you that in the absence of power no it won't park. But it should stop running if you turn the switch off, the blades would just sit wherever you stopped.

The park function is inside on the cover plate for the gear housing. A contact point on the cover plate inside, you should see a straight arm (not bent), the points could be cleaned too.

Need Jules in on this question.

Butch

Re: Baby Jesus said, look at this thread!! [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #156715
11/26/08 03:34 PM
11/26/08 03:34 PM
Tracy CA
R
rabid scott Offline OP
"You're Where?"
rabid scott  Offline OP
"You're Where?"
R

Tracy CA
Quote:

But you'd better do something about that burnt ingnition switch connector...

I agree, I saw that too.

Theres a lot of funky stuff going on in the rest of the harness, but I'm figuring it out as I go. Gotta love those previous owner's repairs!

The tail lights, side marker lights, and license plate light still doesn't work, either, but the brake lights do.

Back to the wipers, though....

So, *in theory*....

Without power to the switch, the wiper stops immediately, regardless of position.

In a normal functional powered switch, When you turn the wiper switch "off" it sends power down a wire to the wire motor to let it know to "park" the wiper arms? And the park function is a contact the closes (or opens?) inside the wiper motor thats says, "Hey, we're in the park position!" and stops the arms from moving?

Re: Baby Jesus said, look at this thread!! [Re: rabid scott] #156716
11/26/08 08:07 PM
11/26/08 08:07 PM
Milwaukee, WI
In_The_Pink Offline
master
In_The_Pink  Offline
master

Milwaukee, WI
Quote:

So, *in theory*....

Without power to the switch, the wiper stops immediately, regardless of position.

Correct

Quote:

In a normal functional powered switch, When you turn the wiper switch "off" it sends power down a wire to the wire motor to let it know to "park" the wiper arms?

Correct, the park switch is inside the motor. The blue wire runs from the switch to park switch terminal on the motor.

Quote:

And the park function is a contact that closes (or opens?) inside the wiper motor thats says, "Hey, we're in the park position!" and stops the arms from moving?

It's a simple internal switch, either on or off. When the park switch is on, there's power to the motor. When the park switch is off, there's no power to the motor.

I'm guessing you do not have an Electrical Service Manual for your car? PM me your address and I'll scan the pertinent 3-speed wiper pages from my '77 ESM and e-mail 'em to you if that'll help.