Page 1 of 2 1 2
Disc Brake ? #1559425
01/05/14 10:13 PM
01/05/14 10:13 PM
moparpollack Offline OP
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline OP
Lil Herman

I've seen two 41Chevys with disc brake conversions done with the original master cylinders. The cars drive fine which amazes me since all the mopars I've done have never worked with the dual passage drum master cylinder.

Do most of the after market disc brake conversion smaller brake fluid capacity? Or are these guys just getting lucky.

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: moparpollack] #1559426
01/05/14 10:17 PM
01/05/14 10:17 PM
Texas
D
Daty Rogers Offline
World's Greatest Husband. I love you Robyn
Daty Rogers  Offline
World's Greatest Husband. I love you Robyn
D

Texas
Lucky, I bet during hard braking they'll swap ends.

-Daty

Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: Daty Rogers] #1559427
01/05/14 10:23 PM
01/05/14 10:23 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
once the system is bled and topped off there is no need for additional reservoir capacity, until the pads wear. I doubt the drums were self adjusting, which would not require added capacity as it mechanically compensates for wear. But with non-self adjusting drums the brakes get worse at stopping and if you pay attention you know to adjust them.

Lucky? Nope, they either haven't run the pads down enough to run out of capacity or they are staying on top of the brake fluid level. Is it smart? Nope, lazy/cheap/ignorant take your pick.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: Supercuda] #1559428
01/06/14 12:57 AM
01/06/14 12:57 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
A lot of the old cars had very large wheel cylinders. Its possible the master cylinders had enough capacity to accommodate the disc brake calipers fluid requirement until the pads wear significantly, brake lining wore off the brake shoes back in the day as well, resulting in lower master cylinder fluid levels even in the old drum brakes. If a person keeps up with the fluid level, I don't see an issue. Don't you keep the fluid level up on your modern disc brake cars? I find it hard to believe any real car guy wouldn't check and refill the master cylinder between brake jobs at least a few times.

It really is a question of capacity. The master cylinder has to have enough capacity to accommodate the fluid requirements of the brake system under the braking load, a little extra reserve make us all feel better. This is much easier when everything works as it should, but when things go a muck, systems on the fringe of function get scary. Sometimes mixing the design function of parts of a system (like swapping disc brake calipers where drum brake wheel cylinders used to be) puts things on the fringes of function. I suspect the major question here is, how close to the minimum reserve brake fluid capacity are you willing to live by?

I suspect the new brake systems are closer to the minimum then the old stuff was (as originally designed), in the old days most stuff was overbuilt. These days, the bean counters are in charge, now things are designed to get by with the least possible over build.

A comparison of the fluid capacity between the two wheel cylinders and the two calipers, and the capacity of the master cylinder might revel some interesting results. If the rear brakes have been updated, the capacity differences of the rear wheel cylinders also needs to be accounted for. Without real, factual, numbers, its all just speculation. Gene

Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: poorboy] #1559429
01/06/14 11:04 PM
01/06/14 11:04 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
gene has made some very good points. but what i see as a somewhat critical issue is the fact that using a duel circuit master will leave a person with at least some braking reserve if a problem arises, whereas if a single cuircit master develops an issue, you have zero brakes. remember this : "speed never kills - it's the sudden stop that does you in every time......"

Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: moparx] #1559430
01/06/14 11:26 PM
01/06/14 11:26 PM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado
it takes more fluid to activate the wheel cylinders than the calipers---check out how small the reservoirs are on masters used on circle track cars (speedway catalog)these are the same as used on nascar units in the 70-80,s...yeah and if i wanted to look more period correct i could use the stock pot on my 64 to activate my 4 wheel disc setup....bob

Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: moparx] #1559431
01/07/14 12:11 AM
01/07/14 12:11 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Quote:

gene has made some very good points. but what i see as a somewhat critical issue is the fact that using a duel circuit master will leave a person with at least some braking reserve if a problem arises, whereas if a single cuircit master develops an issue, you have zero brakes. remember this : "speed never kills - it's the sudden stop that does you in every time......"

Funny thing about the "new" dual pot master cylinders, most are really one reservoir with two openings you can fill them with. Since about the mid 80s the front and the rear are no longer separate reservoirs.
I had a beater mid 80s front drive Chrysler I used as a work car. One day, some lady turned in front of me, and when I slammed the brakes hard, I blew a brake line going towards the rear. Since I did miss the lady, I figured I could make it home if I drove easy, knowing the car had a dual reservoir master and knowing I had a bad line. Well, about the 3rd time I stepped on the brakes, the pedal went to the floor, out of fluid. Looking into the now empty two lid cavity, it was plain to see a divider between the two lids, in the top 1/2 of the reservoir, but the bottom half had no divider, it was one large chamber. Through the years, I have changed many master cylinders, on nearly everyone, you can fill the entire thing through one lid, there is an equalizing port between the two reservoirs. Try it the next time you do a master cylinder, I suspect at least 75% are now connected so they fill, and run out of fluid at the same time. Gene

Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: poorboy] #1559432
01/07/14 12:43 AM
01/07/14 12:43 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
after i replied i thought about my 2000 caravan master. gene is correct. if i'm not mistaken, the caravan is "cross braked". in that the right front and left rear circuits are connected and the left front and right rear are connected. the resivoir is a [kinda] divided detachable plastic piece in that using a single fill tube [also detachable] to fill the resivoir, the divider wall is not very tall, so when you lose fluid for whatever reason, it doesn't take much loss to lose all braking action because it is not a truely divided system. perhaps the abs accumulators are now considered the safety net ? i am considering using 2 small remote resivoirs to plumb a dakota style aluminium master to create a true "duel pot" master for my humpback.

Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: savoy64] #1559433
01/07/14 01:38 AM
01/07/14 01:38 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

it takes more fluid to activate the wheel cylinders than the calipers---check out how small the reservoirs are on masters used on circle track cars (speedway catalog)these are the same as used on nascar units in the 70-80,s...yeah and if i wanted to look more period correct i could use the stock pot on my 64 to activate my 4 wheel disc setup....bob

Self adjusting drum brakes do not require an additional "make up" source of fluid unlike calipers. Ad the shoes wear the self adjusters keep the shoe to drum clearances close to unchanged through out the wear cycle of the shoes. Pads, otoh, need more fluid in the caliper as the pad wears which is why disc M/C's have larger reservoirs for the disc portion. Modern split braking brake systems that do not use separate reservoirs have a low brake fluid sensor for a reason.

Using race technology as analogous to street use is a bad idea. I bet those examples of yours have the brakes and fluid levels inspected considerably more often than a street car. Be honest, when was the last time you looked at the fluid level of your DD.

Don't be the exception.
Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: moparx] #1559434
01/07/14 06:47 AM
01/07/14 06:47 AM
levittown pa
fstfish66 Offline
top fuel
fstfish66  Offline
top fuel

levittown pa
Quote:

after i replied i thought about my 2000 caravan master. gene is correct. if i'm not mistaken, the caravan is "cross braked". in that the right front and left rear circuits are connected and the left front and right rear are connected. the resivoir is a [kinda] divided detachable plastic piece in that using a single fill tube [also detachable] to fill the resivoir, the divider wall is not very tall, so when you lose fluid for whatever reason, it doesn't take much loss to lose all braking action because it is not a truely divided system. perhaps the abs accumulators are now considered the safety net ? i am considering using 2 small remote resivoirs to plumb a dakota style aluminium master to create a true "duel pot" master for my humpback.

NICE IDEA,,,

1966 barracuda prostreeter super charged 340(SOLD)
1940 dodge coupe 241 hemi street rod
2014 ram express hemi 4x4 dailey driver
2015 cherokee
2013 R/T classic
Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: fstfish66] #1559435
01/07/14 01:27 PM
01/07/14 01:27 PM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado
self adjusting brakes still use more fluid than a caliper---and cars dont swap ends unless there is more braking in the rear than the front--so if you had only a brake on the right front wheel the car would follow the brake on the right front------if you want to swap ends on your car you can go 60 mph down the road and slam on the rear emergency brake----if you dont move the steering wheel in correction attempt the car will turn ass backwards following the friction of the braking rear end....

Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: savoy64] #1559436
01/07/14 01:34 PM
01/07/14 01:34 PM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado
the same follow the friction rule applies to the old interstate system---concrete has the highest friction ratio followed by asphalt then dirt----if you have a normal functioning brake system and drift over the line from the main thoroughfare (concrete) to the asphalt parking lane--left wheels concrete--right wheels asphalt and slam on the brakes---your car will follow the friction and all wheels will be back on the concrete----the same is true with left wheels asphalt and the right wheels on dirt---under full braking the car will climb back up onto the asphalt----that is why the engineers built the interstate system like this....

Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: savoy64] #1559437
01/07/14 01:45 PM
01/07/14 01:45 PM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado
in the modern nascar days---when all wheel discs applied and before ceramic brakes and brake line pressure adjusters/restrictors----the guys would set up their cars by using a wood chisel to chip off pad material on the right front pads and chip off more on the rear pads---in this way the unaltered left front pad would drag the car around the corner everytime setting up the fastest corner speeds---on the really short tracks some would set an extra brake pedal to activate only the left front wheel to set up the turning aspect while the right foot kept you at full throttle...

Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: savoy64] #1559438
01/07/14 07:04 PM
01/07/14 07:04 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

self adjusting brakes still use more fluid than a caliper---

Comprehension issues, let me be clearer if I can.

As PADS WEAR the PISTON inside the CALIPER moves further out of the BORE. the MASTER CYLINDER has to supply the additional fluid to fill that extra space in the bore. This is the "make up fluid".

No one said anything about the amount of fluid required during braking, other than you.

The reason self adjusting brakes do not require nearly as much make up fluid as calipers is because the self adjusters keep the shoe to drum distance the same over the wear life of the shoes. Therefore the wheel cylinders do not have to travel farther due to shoe wear, UNLIKE A CALIPER. Non-self adjusting brakes have the same issues discs have in regards to makeup fluid, unless they are regularly adjusted manually.

Don't be the exception.
Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: Supercuda] #1559439
01/07/14 11:46 PM
01/07/14 11:46 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
The actual thread started because someone had a 40s GM car that had disc brakes attached to the original single pot master cylinder. I did indeed talk about the amount of fluid required to operate wheel cylinders compared to the amount of fluid required to operate disc brake calipers. The reality is, the master cylinder only needs enough reserve fluid capacity over the amount required to operate the brake system, to account for pad and shoe wear, and a bit of reserve. The stated concern was if the single pot master contained the amount of fluid required to stop the vehicle with disc brakes instead of the original drum. A comparison between the amount of fluid required to operate a pair of wheel cylinders and the amount of fluid required to operate a pair of disc brake calipers is relevant to this topic.

It is also very likely, the 40s GM brakes were not self adjusting. Seems i remember needing to adjust the brake shoes on nearly everything up to about the mid 60s. I don't believe the 11" drum brakes on my 1st 69 Road Runner had self adjusting brakes.

As for how often I check the fluid level in the master on my daily driver, the answer is, it gets checked at every oil change and before any longer then normal driving excursion, and gets topped off as needed.

Do you really not look at the fluid levels on your daily driver?
Gene

Last edited by poorboy; 01/07/14 11:50 PM.
Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: poorboy] #1559440
01/08/14 02:11 AM
01/08/14 02:11 AM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado
most probably the 40 brakes had the hach? system---this used two eccentric bolts to adjust the brake shoes out to contact the drum--they had to be checked regularly---

Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: moparpollack] #1559441
01/08/14 04:18 PM
01/08/14 04:18 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

I have a '50 Olds with a drum/disc combo plumbed to the original under-floor single MC; I drilled the MC cap and threaded it for a nipple and hose connected to a remote reservoir. Many others with similar setups do the same.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: John_Kunkel] #1559442
01/08/14 11:05 PM
01/08/14 11:05 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
john, what resivoir did you use ?

Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: moparx] #1559443
01/09/14 04:37 PM
01/09/14 04:37 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

I used a polished billet aluminum reservoir I got off of e-bay....mounted on inner fender panel.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Disc Brake ? [Re: John_Kunkel] #1559444
01/09/14 11:16 PM
01/09/14 11:16 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
thank you !

Page 1 of 2 1 2