11/17/08 03:37 PM
11/17/08 03:37 PM
Omaha, Nebraska
Scott Carl Offline OP
pro stock
Scott Carl  Offline OP
pro stock

Omaha, Nebraska
Ok I'm sure my 318 has issues now but not sure how serious. '74 Challenger, stock 318 2bbl. If it sits for more than a couple hours, I get a good amount of white colored smoke from the exhaust that clears by the time its warmed up. I know the carb is loading up some. I put a kit in it but I think the idle seats and screws are shot. Corrosion from years of neglect. The automatic choke seems to be working. It moves freely with good spring reaction on the pull off but questionable electrical contact on the board the wire from it connects to. When warm I still get smoke from the exhaust when revved but my friend says its blue. Looks white to me but I have never been able to distinguish this "blue" color people associate with an oil burner; always looks white to me. That beening said, we ran the car a few miles to my friend's garage to store it for the winter and stopped about midway. As my friend was following, I asked if it was still smoking because I didn't notice any. He said yes, a constant "blue" plume. So after we got underway again I put some foot into it; enough to kick it down into low a couple times and when I did, the smoke was more of a dark brownish color. (like diesel smoke) I have always associated that with a build-up of carbon or poorly burning fuel. I wish I had some video but can any of you guys give me some guestamations? I'm thinking the initial smoke is a combination of over rich air fuel mix and bad oil seals on the valves. I just don't think there's enough miles on the engine for it to be bad guides or rings but it did sit for many years and was submerged for 3 days but drained and re started within a week or so. Sorry for the lengthy post but thanks for any input,
Scott

Re: What color smoke? [Re: Scott Carl] #152438
11/17/08 05:19 PM
11/17/08 05:19 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Sounds like that 318 has had a rough life. The "blue" smoke is classic oil burning. the black smoke when you get on it is common as alot of carbs are way too rich in the "power" circuit. White smoke after initial startup is condensation & lately I've noticed tailpipes that are gushing water.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: What color smoke? [Re: RapidRobert] #152439
11/17/08 05:47 PM
11/17/08 05:47 PM
Omaha, Nebraska
Scott Carl Offline OP
pro stock
Scott Carl  Offline OP
pro stock

Omaha, Nebraska
Quote:

Sounds like that 318 has had a rough life. The "blue" smoke is classic oil burning. the black smoke when you get on it is common as alot of carbs are way too rich in the "power" circuit. White smoke after initial startup is condensation & lately I've noticed tailpipes that are gushing water.

It's been rode hard and put away wet a time or two but nothing a good ol' 318 couldn't handle...except maybe the soaking One thing I forgot to mention, there is a spot of black soot on the driveway from warm-up where the exhaust points down (stock muffler with the short turned down tail pipe). Burnt oil? Way rich fuel mix? Thanks again Robert!

Last edited by Scott Carl; 11/17/08 05:48 PM.
Re: What color smoke? [Re: Scott Carl] #152440
11/17/08 06:21 PM
11/17/08 06:21 PM
N.E.Ohio
P
pacifica Offline
mopar
pacifica  Offline
mopar
P

N.E.Ohio
I just don't think there's enough miles on the engine for it to be bad guides or rings but it did sit for many years and was submerged for 3 days but drained and re started within a week or so.

Constant blue smoke is due to poor ring seal.
I went through this several years ago with my
318 that sat for years. The rings are not able
to seal due to carbon build up where the rings fit on the pistons. I eventually had to "re ring"
it. That did correct "my" problem.

Sorry for the bad news