10/01/13 12:39 PM
10/01/13 12:39 PM
Kamloops, BC, Canada
V
Vinny_Bulloch Offline OP
Vinny_Bulloch  Offline OP
V

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Hi brand new to this so hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Recently purchased an almost finished 54 Fargo pickup. I can find most things on the internet to finish it off but not sure about the side window trims and the wiper motor. It has been converted to 12v so I am not sure if i need an old style motor at 6v and a step down converter or if there is such a thing as an after market 12v that will fit it. If so does anyone know where I could find said things? This is my first foray into finishing a oldie so thanks for all the help and sorry if this post kind of rambled.

Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: Vinny_Bulloch] #1510688
10/01/13 09:34 PM
10/01/13 09:34 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Vinny, welcome to the board.
I had a 54 Dodge pickup and don't recall any trim around the windows except the rubber & felt pieces that were against the glass itself. They are available from www.robertsmotorparts.com

Wipers are an issue. The 54 & 55 had a unique setup, were 6 volt only, and are not easy to find. Dodge went to 12 volts in the late 50s or very early 60s on trucks, it may be possible to locate the complete wiper system from one of the early 12 volt versions and put everything in your truck. Beyond that, you will have to adapt something new aftermarket (they are not afraid to charge a lot of $$ for their stuff) or adapt a system from a later model car or truck.
Now that I responded, someone here will show you something I didn't know about, which would be good.
Gene

Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: poorboy] #1510689
10/01/13 11:22 PM
10/01/13 11:22 PM
Kamloops, BC, Canada
V
Vinny_Bulloch Offline OP
V

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Thanks Gene, that was exactly what I was looking for for the windows. I found a wiper motor set up on ebay that would slip right in, I am just worried with it being 6v that I will fry it or something. A $400 mistake isnt something I want to make. Do you know if it would be ok, or would I have to find a way to step down the voltage? Thanks again, Vinny.

Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: Vinny_Bulloch] #1510690
10/02/13 12:25 AM
10/02/13 12:25 AM
Kamloops, BC, Canada
V
Vinny_Bulloch Offline OP
V

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Also any idea where i can get door locks, not sure if anyone who tried to steal it could since its a 3 on the tree and no one knows those anymore, just worried about the stereo that is in it thanks again

Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: ] #1510692
10/02/13 12:03 PM
10/02/13 12:03 PM
Kamloops, BC, Canada
V
Vinny_Bulloch Offline OP
V

Kamloops, BC, Canada
thanks Mudgy, after some searching I found an inline step down reducer for not to much on ebay. seems this will do the trick so getting ahead of the game now. just need to find locks and think I will be on the road to having my daily driver ready for spring.

Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: Vinny_Bulloch] #1510693
10/03/13 11:09 PM
10/03/13 11:09 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
You definitely need the voltage stepped down, and an ignition ballast resistor does not work, it reduces the amperage too much. A 6 volt wiper motor on 12 volts really moves fast, and the can live a while if you don't run them for long periods of time. I think the 6 volt one on my 54 Dodge lasted a couple of years until I was in a pretty heavy rain one day and smoke rolled out from under the dash as the wipers stopped at mid stroke. It was a pretty exciting few minutes shortly after that, had to pull over to open the windows and let the smoke out of the cab.

I think I would look into a remote electric lock system, the original stuff was pretty lame. There is only a lock on one door, the passenger side here in the states, and it looks like it was an after thought, a very strange setup only used a few years. I know there was a set screw that held the key lock cylinder in the door, and a square rod that is attached to the back of the key lock cylinder goes into the latch assembly. If you push the inside door handle forward, it will lock the door from the inside. If your key lock assembly is still intact, and you can get it out of the door, a locksmith should be able to make a key to match your lock tumblers, or change the tumblers to match a key you may have. Most I've seen, the key cylinder self destructs upon removal from the door.
Gene

Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: poorboy] #1510694
10/04/13 12:14 PM
10/04/13 12:14 PM
Kamloops, BC, Canada
V
Vinny_Bulloch Offline OP
V

Kamloops, BC, Canada
thanks again Gene, there are no tumblers in it at the moment, just the holes for them, and I have to check to see what else is left in the doors. This was what I was look at for the wiper motor http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331031661086?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: Vinny_Bulloch] #1510695
10/04/13 11:34 PM
10/04/13 11:34 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Do you have an original wiper motor for your truck? That reducer looks like it should work if you already have a 6 volt wiper motor for your truck.

Wish I would have taken pictures of my door lock assembly after I got it out of the truck, I killed it trying to remove that stupid set screw that held the lock in place.

Might also want to take extra good care of that front windshield (front windscreen?) in that 54, they are a rare item. 15 years ago a new windshield for my 54 was over $500 when most windshields were running under $200. Even then I couldn't find one. I drove my truck for 4-5 years with a single crack straight up the middle of the glass.
Picture of my 54 Dodge. Gene

7876505-Picture036.jpg (43 downloads)
Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: poorboy] #1510696
10/05/13 12:53 AM
10/05/13 12:53 AM
Kamloops, BC, Canada
V
Vinny_Bulloch Offline OP
V

Kamloops, BC, Canada
very nice, the one I just got had the screen replaced 2 years ago, cost ICBC $2100, have to love insurance. the motor in it is whats not working, the arms are all still good so trying to find the motor that works. the one i found on ebay should do the trick

Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: Vinny_Bulloch] #1510697
10/05/13 01:36 PM
10/05/13 01:36 PM
Crofton, Ky.
R
rattler Offline
super stock
rattler  Offline
super stock
R

Crofton, Ky.
Vinny, do you know if the door locks are different from a 57? Mine are held in with a clip like later models. If 57 locks will work, I have a set that do not have keys. If you can have keys made, I"ll send them to you.

1957 Dodge truck, Snakeskin Green with a little stroker motor. 1964 Plymouth Savoy wagon ( my new project)
Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: rattler] #1510698
10/05/13 10:44 PM
10/05/13 10:44 PM
Kamloops, BC, Canada
V
Vinny_Bulloch Offline OP
V

Kamloops, BC, Canada
thanks Rattler, im not too sure I get the truck on the 18th so I will take a look inside to see

Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: Vinny_Bulloch] #1510699
10/06/13 12:05 PM
10/06/13 12:05 PM
Crofton, Ky.
R
rattler Offline
super stock
rattler  Offline
super stock
R

Crofton, Ky.
Vinny, just send me a PM when you find out if you need them. I"ll help you out if I can.

1957 Dodge truck, Snakeskin Green with a little stroker motor. 1964 Plymouth Savoy wagon ( my new project)
Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: poorboy] #1510700
10/06/13 05:51 PM
10/06/13 05:51 PM
Dandridge TN
D
Dabee Offline
master
Dabee  Offline
master
D

Dandridge TN
Quote:

I had a 54 Dodge pickup and don't recall any trim around the windows except the rubber & felt pieces that were against the glass itself. They are available from www.robertsmotorparts.com

Wipers are an issue. The 54 & 55 had a unique setup, were 6 volt only, and are not easy to find. Dodge went to 12 volts in the late 50s or very early 60s on trucks, it may be possible to locate the complete wiper system from one of the early 12 volt versions and put everything in your truck. Beyond that, you will have to adapt something new aftermarket (they are not afraid to charge a lot of $$ for their stuff) or adapt a system from a later model car or truck.
Now that I responded, someone here will show you something I didn't know about, which would be good.
Gene

Poor boy, my 55 Dodge had a vacuum wiper motor in it. I believe the electric motor was an option. I ended up using a wiper system for a 55 Chevy PU. I had to modify the linkage and have special pivots made. The only issue with the Chevy motor is it goes round and round and not back and forth like the Dodge motor,so I had to place the right wiper blade up rather than lay it down toward the center.

Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: Dabee] #1510701
10/07/13 10:12 PM
10/07/13 10:12 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Quote:

Quote:

Gene

Poor boy, my 55 Dodge had a vacuum wiper motor in it. I believe the electric motor was an option. I ended up using a wiper system for a 55 Chevy PU. I had to modify the linkage and have special pivots made. The only issue with the Chevy motor is it goes round and round and not back and forth like the Dodge motor,so I had to place the right wiper blade up rather than lay it down toward the center.

53 & 54 electric wipers are completely different then the vacuum versions. The electric wiper motors in a 53 & 54 are strange critters, with the electric motor mounted in the center with a separate transmission on each side of the motor, each transmission runs its respective wiper with a circular but opposite rotation. Each side of the linkage connects to its transmission on one end and the wiper pivot on the other end. Its a very simple setup, except for having the motor in the center of 2 transmissions. The 53 is a little larger then the 54 was, but I'm not sure how long Dodge used either one. I'm going to have to dig up my old melted down electric wiper motor assembly and take a picture of it. I kept it thinking maybe I could find someone that could convert the motor to 12 volts and rewind it, but the truck sold before that ever happened.

On my 54, I just mounted a 70s wiper motor and used just the driver side wiper blade on both my 53 (my 50 blue Dodge 4x4 that got wrecked a couple years ago had a 53 cab) & my 54. If a guy doesn't mind modifying wiper linkage, most any electric wiper motor can be used. If you have the room to flip the passenger side wiper pivot in the opposite direction then the driver side pivot, then a single direction motor will run both wipers correctly. For some reason I couldn't do that with my 54, but I just can't remember why anymore. I didn't even mess with the original stuff on my 53 (or 50 if you prefer), I just adapted everything on the driver side to the modern stuff. I also contemplated mounting two Jeep wiper motors, one for each blade, and wiring in two switches, look for early-mid 60s CJ Jeep wiper motors. Gene

Re: Where to start finishing 54 Fargo? [Re: poorboy] #1510702
10/21/13 04:01 AM
10/21/13 04:01 AM
Kamloops, BC, Canada
V
Vinny_Bulloch Offline OP
V

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Well got the truck and have been driving it around trying to get used to 3 on the tree, havent stalled it since the first day so knock on wood. It does only have 1 lock on passenger side same as the US Dodges. Gene you mentioned an electric locking system? how would that work and is it very hard to instal? very novice here when it comes to anything other then an oil change and stereo installs. Also the old style air filter kind of scares me, how would I go about replacing it? would my local lordco (kinda like pep boys) be able to sell me something that would go on the corroborator with a paper air filter? thanks again for all your help guys, will get some pics of her on my days off cheers.