09/06/13 12:03 AM
09/06/13 12:03 AM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

South Dakota
Just went through a class recertifcation PPG class in April. New epoxy that's out is DPLV epoxy primers. They have a true 7 day Top coat window plus if you wanna sand them they sand a lot like a surfacer. I used the white DPLV 48 on some old gas station oil tanks I redid for a customer. He blasted them. I did some plastic work quick on them finished them in 220 quick on a DA. Threw two coats on them let them sit over the weekend. Monday am I DA'ed the ones that had some deeper sand scratches in the filler with 320 grit really quick. It didn't ball up on the paper like other epoxys do actually powdered like a surfacer. Wiped them off and put some industrial PPG AUE 200 white on them. They looked great. Now would I do a car this way no but the reps are saying they are seeing and pushing resto shops more on this line. Said its better where you can be direct to metal priming and if needed sand it. I was actually impressed. Just another option to think about as like they say you prime a car then reprime it if you don't get everything scuffed on the surfacers that have a day or less top coat or resand time window on them you end up with peeling paint.

As far as etch primers go. I vary on my use of them. Depends on the job. I like them cause if I use say dx 579 and don't get it all washed and dried off there is a film that I'm always bugged about. Where etch primers I dust them on and don't pool or run them I know I have a good chemical bond. Btw that's the easiest way i tell people about them. One is kinda like a glue( epoxy) the other has teeth that bight into the metal.

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: Prep for painting over epoxy primer? Sitting a while [Re: Challenger 1] #1495025
09/07/13 01:11 AM
09/07/13 01:11 AM
MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
E
ek3 Offline
top fuel
ek3  Offline
top fuel
E

Quote:

I do use the dupont and ppg wash(acid) primers over freshly sand blasted metal, have been for a long time. It provides extra grip I believe if I'm going to all the trouble of sand blasting.

615s variprime is the dupont paint and PPG make 2 kinds and only one is OK for blasted metal, it works good as I have been painting trucks since the 90s and keep my trucks for years.

IMO there's nothing better than freshly blasted metal to paint, I have never used any thing under my acid wash primer and then epoxy on top of that. I never even touch the metal after blasting before wash primer. I usually blast it and paint it the same day.

the acid wash primer is ensuring a bond occurs on the fresh metal.it forms a tight bond to the surface by chemical bonding. I have always PREPSOL rinsed blasted metal and used an epoxy containing zinc chromate as the rust inhibiting primer. an epoxy utilizes a mechanical bonding process which is exactly what you have with a [profiled] blasted surface. the main difference between the two systems is the epoxy's zinc is in direct contact with the steel surface and ensures complete rust control. the acid primers tend to lean more towards the bonding process. if the metal is slick, the acids are much better at maintaining the bond. the acid primers are more tolerant to contaminants than the epoxy is. with the proper/ clean profile on the metal, an epoxy will perform very well also.

Re: Prep for painting over epoxy primer? Sitting a while [Re: ek3] #1495026
10/05/13 10:34 AM
10/05/13 10:34 AM
In The Hills
J
jughed Offline
pro stock
jughed  Offline
pro stock
J

In The Hills
a little bump for this very informative thread....

yesterday i sprayed PPG DP90LF on the inside of the new AMD quarters and fenders before installation and i love the flat black look with the ever so slight texture, and it's what i consider the perfect look for a flat black pin-on glass hood. I have heard of epoxy primer being used on the underside of vehicles, but if i decide to use it instead of paint($$$) on the spare glass hood, will it eventually fade??

Re: Prep for painting over epoxy primer? Sitting a while [Re: jughed] #1495027
10/05/13 11:47 AM
10/05/13 11:47 AM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
A couple of points I'd like to add.

First, figure out what your final finish is going to be and work back from there. Many great painters mix different brands and products, but for the guy that has little experience and is not used to a bunch of different products and how they react, you are better off going with a single brand. It's all designed to go together and the paint rep will be much more willing to discuss start to finish if you stick with one system.

Second, get to know your local paint rep. Just like a good doctor or grocer, find a person that you get along with and trust and follow their advice. They will be able to help you with any issues a lot better than most keyboard jockeys (even the great painters here!) since they will know the products, local conditions and really want you to succeed. A great paint job helps them sell their product and service. A bad paint job and word of mouth hurts them.

Re: Prep for painting over epoxy primer? Sitting a while [Re: RodStRace] #1495028
10/05/13 03:50 PM
10/05/13 03:50 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
This should be in the archives. Lots of good info here.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Prep for painting over epoxy primer? Sitting a while [Re: 6PakBee] #1495029
10/06/13 03:44 PM
10/06/13 03:44 PM
New England
Q5_Ed Offline
top fuel
Q5_Ed  Offline
top fuel

New England
I agree, was thinking of printing it, but waiting to see what gets added if anything left to say....

WANTED : ...A New Sponsor or Winning Lottery Ticket 69 A12 road runner ,Q5, post coupe, 4 speed, former Drag car restored to "Driver" condition in the early 90's, Showing some Patina. SS/E Track Record Holder 1980 10.40 @ 130mph
Re: Prep for painting over epoxy primer? Sitting a while [Re: jughed] #1495030
10/07/13 10:39 PM
10/07/13 10:39 PM
E
ek3 Offline
top fuel
ek3  Offline
top fuel
E

Quote:

a little bump for this very informative thread....

yesterday i sprayed PPG DP90LF on the inside of the new AMD quarters and fenders before installation and i love the flat black look with the ever so slight texture, and it's what i consider the perfect look for a flat black pin-on glass hood. I have heard of epoxy primer being used on the underside of vehicles, but if i decide to use it instead of paint($$$) on the spare glass hood, will it eventually fade??

epoxy is not suitable for sun exposure.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3