Print Thread
Hemi Pushrod and valve lash. #149356
11/11/08 04:42 PM
11/11/08 04:42 PM
Tucson AZ
2cudabuck Offline OP
2cudabuck  Offline OP

Tucson AZ
Hey all, hope everyone is great! First snow here, now it sucks to do ANYTHING outside!

Question, I have a MP Hemi with MP aluminum heads and Norris 1.6 roller rockers. It also has a Crane Powermax Hyd. roller cam and lifters. I heard a tick coming from pass. bank, pulled the valve covers and low and behold, the front lower pushrod wasn't oiling and had deformed the adjuster nipple and mushroomed the rod socket a bit. #1, why wasn't it oiling? #2, I would like a good resource for hemi parts, the pushrod is 10.65 long and 3/8. I just need one rod and adjuster, preferably with an oiling hole through it?!? My next deal is about lash. I read your valve lash and adjustment is critical with a hemi to get the preformance. What sort of check and adjustments can I make, not only to the new one I install but to all of them, to ensure all is optimum? I would love to be pointed to a resource so I can read it myself if you know of that. THANKS all, my first Hemi by the way!!!

Buck

Buck 67 273 Dart GT 69 RT 440 Charger (SWEET!) 70 318 Cuda 74 Cuda Packin a 426 roller Hemi
Re: Hemi Pushrod and valve lash. [Re: 2cudabuck] #149357
11/11/08 08:13 PM
11/11/08 08:13 PM
closer to Canadian beer!
torkrules Offline
I'm neurotic
torkrules  Offline
I'm neurotic

closer to Canadian beer!
Quote:

Hey all, hope everyone is great! First snow here, now it sucks to do ANYTHING outside!

Question, I have a MP Hemi with MP aluminum heads and Norris 1.6 roller rockers. It also has a Crane Powermax Hyd. roller cam and lifters. I heard a tick coming from pass. bank, pulled the valve covers and low and behold, the front lower pushrod wasn't oiling and had deformed the adjuster nipple and mushroomed the rod socket a bit. #1, why wasn't it oiling? #2, I would like a good resource for hemi parts, the pushrod is 10.65 long and 3/8. I just need one rod and adjuster, preferably with an oiling hole through it?!? My next deal is about lash. I read your valve lash and adjustment is critical with a hemi to get the preformance. What sort of check and adjustments can I make, not only to the new one I install but to all of them, to ensure all is optimum? I would love to be pointed to a resource so I can read it myself if you know of that. THANKS all, my first Hemi by the way!!!

Buck

Hey buck!

Welcome to the world of the Hemi-roid! I would check the rockers and make sure they have an oil hole that squirts oil onto the adjuster ball/pushrod socket. Also, there should only be 1 or 2 threads of the adjuster showing below the rocker. If it's more than this, the oil will shoot past the adjuster ball/pushrod socket hich will smoke out the push rods. Could be your push rods are too short. Are the rockers bushed and do they have banana grooves in the bushing? Valve train oiling is critical on Hemi's.

The push rods do not provide oil to the adjuster/socket. The oil comes from the shafts and which spray out from holes in the rockers. The rockers should have a hole for oiling the push rods and another at the front to oil the springs/valves.

As far as lash goes, 1/2 turn past zero lash should provide the necessary pre-load on the lifters. I turn the engine over with a wrench and watch the exhaust valve just starts to open, then I adjust the intake valve until I feel a slight drag on the push rod when I spin it between my fingers. Then I give it 1/2 more of a turn. Turn the engine again with the wrench until the intake valve is just about closed-set the exhaust the same way. Repeat on all cylinders, start the engine and warm it up and repeat the above procedures.

I needed to get my heads re-done and I took then up to Tim Banning at FHO. He is an excellent source for Hemi parts and info. He is in Canada, and very good to deal with. There is also Bob George or HemiFred on this board who have been running Hemis for years. Probably a few others I have forgotten.

Good Luck with your project!