Toronto
M
mshred Offline
master
mshred  Offline
master
M

Toronto
Was thinking of swapping a set on over this upcoming winter to replace my RHS heads depending on what others say about them. I started a thread similar to this one a while back, but didn't get much responses about back to back comparos. Nothing is wrong with my RHS heads, but the airwolfs push some serious air, and are quite a bit lighter than the iron stuff which is a plus

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: skrews] #1452314
06/15/13 11:03 AM
06/15/13 11:03 AM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline
EL Master
domingo  Offline
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Quote:

It's a Pro Comp Electronics Chinese copy of an Edelbrock head... it has powdered metal seats 9not great for life under hard use & big spring pressures) ultra cheap Pro Comp soft bronze guides....

& then They get CNC'd with a very large Edelbrock port program & it magically becomes an "airwolf" head....

Do they make power? I'm sure they do.... so do really big port Edelbrock heads....

Is the castings & parts of a lesser quality? Yep....

FULLY ported W2 is going to make more power than the CNC Airwolf head.....

According to Dr J's they come with ductile iron seats, and they install their own valve guides.

Im sorry guys, thats just a "copy/paste" of something somebody that REALLY knows his heads told me when I asked the same question.

Please dont kill the messenger!!!!

I DONT HAVE A SET OF AIRWOLF HEADS AND I HAVE NEVER USED A PAIR IN ANY MOTOR.

I was asking around because after those magazine articles and all the hot press they have been getting they sure sound like they are the hot ticket on a small block. However when you ask around you get the same replies from all if not most of the other "head guys". True or not? I really dont know, and I also dont think anybody will know for sure until we see a few in service.

I dont know why this sounds a lot like the 440 source novel.

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: domingo] #1452315
06/15/13 11:05 AM
06/15/13 11:05 AM
Glendale, AZ
D
Dave W Offline
enthusiast
Dave W  Offline
enthusiast
D

Glendale, AZ
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's a Pro Comp Electronics Chinese copy of an Edelbrock head... it has powdered metal seats 9not great for life under hard use & big spring pressures) ultra cheap Pro Comp soft bronze guides....

& then They get CNC'd with a very large Edelbrock port program & it magically becomes an "airwolf" head....

Do they make power? I'm sure they do.... so do really big port Edelbrock heads....

Is the castings & parts of a lesser quality? Yep....

FULLY ported W2 is going to make more power than the CNC Airwolf head.....

According to Dr J's they come with ductile iron seats, and they install their own valve guides.

Im sorry guys, thats just a "copy/paste" of something somebody that REALLY knows his heads told me when I asked the same question.

Please dont kill the messenger!!!!

I DONT HAVE A SET OF AIRWOLF HEADS AND I HAVE NEVER USED A PAIR IN ANY MOTOR.

Was that a quote from Jeff @ Modern?

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: Dave W] #1452316
06/15/13 11:12 AM
06/15/13 11:12 AM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline
EL Master
domingo  Offline
EL Master

Lima, Peru
I ran a search for these heads and I came accross some threads in which Jeff participated, he kinda had the same opinion about these heads just like a couple other guys I asked for info. I am not calling any names though.

Like I said, I dont have these heads on any motor, I havent even held em in my hands.

On another note, I do have an engine running 440 source heads, rods and crank. It runs perfect. No issues. I dont think a Callies crank, Oliver rods and Edelbrock heads were a necessity....so far!!!

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: domingo] #1452317
06/15/13 11:19 AM
06/15/13 11:19 AM
Glendale, AZ
D
Dave W Offline
enthusiast
Dave W  Offline
enthusiast
D

Glendale, AZ
Quote:

I ran a search for these heads and I came accross some threads in which Jeff participated, he kinda had the same opinion about these heads just like a couple other guys I asked for info. I am not calling any names though.

Like I said, I dont have these heads on any motor, I havent even held em in my hands.

On another note, I do have an engine running 440 source heads, rods and crank. It runs perfect. No issues. I dont think a Callies crank, Oliver rods and Edelbrock heads were a necessity....so far!!!

That's what I thought. Jeff is very well respected within the industry. I wonder how these heads would hold up under boost?

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: Dave W] #1452318
06/15/13 11:22 AM
06/15/13 11:22 AM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline
EL Master
domingo  Offline
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Quote:

That's what I thought. Jeff is very well respected within the industry. I wonder how these heads would hold up under boost?

What I quoted was not Jeff's. It was straight from another reputable head guy.

But you can run a search on here and will find out what Jeff thinks about em.

I will stay away from this thread as I know ZIP about heads. You guys try em on and lemme know how they hold....I may then buy a set.

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: Dave W] #1452319
06/15/13 12:47 PM
06/15/13 12:47 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
My heads have new ductile iron seats and guides that Bryce installed, I have no complaints at all with the quality and materials in my set of Airwolf heads.

Bryce may (someone should ask him and confirm) rather than speculate. I believe he told me he gets the raw castings and machines seats, guides and then does the CNC work stateside.

I totally RESPECT Jeff, but you might want to confirm whether (or not) his comments were with regard to the STANDARD ProComp SBM heads or the Airwolfs let's at least deal in confirmed information, not here say, fair enough?

I get enough speculation and people going off 1/2 cocked at work, don't you?

Last edited by Streetwize; 06/15/13 12:51 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: Airwolf heads [Re: Streetwize] #1452320
06/15/13 02:34 PM
06/15/13 02:34 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline
EL Master
domingo  Offline
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

My heads have new ductile iron seats and guides that Bryce installed, I have no complaints at all with the quality and materials in my set of Airwolf heads.

Bryce may (someone should ask him and confirm) rather than speculate. I believe he told me he gets the raw castings and machines seats, guides and then does the CNC work stateside.

I totally RESPECT Jeff, but you might want to confirm whether (or not) his comments were with regard to the STANDARD ProComp SBM heads or the Airwolfs let's at least deal in confirmed information, not here say, fair enough?

I get enough speculation and people going off 1/2 cocked at work, don't you?

I dont need to confirm anything, as what I posted first above is a literal quote I got from another reputable head guy, not Jeff. I did not make that up, thats the info I got from somebody that constantly works with mopar cylinder heads for performance applications. I am posting it here because people are asking about the airwolf heads and that is the info I got someplace else. I suppose people want to know, so thats why I share what I have found out so far.

I am being 100% honest and stating thats what I have been told, but I DO NOT HAVE A SET OF THESE HEADS, AND I CANT CONFIRM ANY OF THAT.

Im just putting that here on the table for discussion, thats what a discussion forum is for.

If the information I posted is WRONG then I will be the first one that wants to know whats the TRUTH behind all of this, as I am also looking at these heads and I do have an interest in them, since they seem to be a great option.

Now, regarding [Email]Jeff@moderncylinderhead[/Email]

Please re-read and take note that Jeff DID NOT SAY WHAT I POSTED ABOVE. Jeff has NOTHING to do with those statements. And I wasnt implying that as well. Please make sure you go back and re-read.

What I said is that I did run a search here on moparts and stumbled upon a thread related to the Airwolf heads where Jeff made some posts....you can check out that thread here:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rt=all&vc=1

And yes, I think it was when the Airwolf heads just came out and I think Jeff was basing all his commments on the Pro Comp heads, which are basically the cores that are used for the Airwolf heads.

So yes, it would be best if the guy doing the airwolfs could chime in on this thread and tell us about the guides, seats, valves, etc that he is using for the Airwolfs. And what kind of work he performs/corrects once he gets the procomp castings in.

I think we all know the castings are procomp, and Im sure we can have lots of opinions regarding the quality of the pro comp aluminum castings: porosity, core shift, stress relieving, machining, etc. since they cast heads both for the small block and big block.

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: Streetwize] #1452321
06/15/13 05:06 PM
06/15/13 05:06 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
To the best of my knowledge there are three direct bolt on aluminum heads for small block Mopars. Standard Edelbrock, Indy modified Eddys ie. Indybrocks and the Chinese cast Airwolfs. I think the most interesting comparison would be between the Airwolfs and the Indybrocks since both appear to have a slight advantage over the standard version. Obviously it would be best to have equal levels of prep in order to have a fair comparison. Indybrocks do require rockers with greater offset than standard [ any standard big block rocker will work ], but since they come with rockers, shafts and 3/8 studded holddowns they can still be considered a direct bolt on. I would like to see what the hp/torque vs. cost ratio is for all three.

Last edited by 5spdcuda; 06/15/13 11:37 PM.
Re: Airwolf heads [Re: 5spdcuda] #1452322
06/15/13 07:07 PM
06/15/13 07:07 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
W5 and Indy are direct bolt on as well.... Just take different rocker gear, as I believe the Indybrocks do as well

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: B3422W5] #1452323
06/15/13 07:16 PM
06/15/13 07:16 PM
las vegas
70AARcuda Offline
master
70AARcuda  Offline
master

las vegas
Quote:

W5 and Indy are direct bolt on as well.... Just take different rocker gear, as I believe the Indybrocks do as well

I think mostly his comparison is about using standard intake, valve gear and headers as the W stuff does not and adds to the switch over cost.

Tony

70 AARCuda Vitamin C
71 Dart Swinger 360 10.318 @ 128.22(10-04-14 Bakersfield)
71 Demon 360 10.666 @122.41 (01-29-17 @ Las Vegas)
71 Duster 408 (10.29 @ 127.86 3/16/19 Las Vegas)
Re: Airwolf heads [Re: B3422W5] #1452324
06/15/13 07:18 PM
06/15/13 07:18 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
This might clear some speculation up

Bryce Mulvey

Reged: Sep 28 2012
Loc: anaheim Ca
Re: New AIRWOLF 220 Tested on a pump gas 408 [Re: moderncylinder]
#7400930 - Sun Sep 30 2012 03:06 PM

Jeff I do use a Procomp casting. They asked me to look over their first prototype and give them some input. I had them make some small changes to the core so we could put a really good port in our head. They aren’t as inexpensive as you would think… Keep in mind I install my own seat and guides. I would rather use the edelbrock casting but they are not going to change their head for just me.

--------------------
Bryce Mulvey

Last edited by Streetwize; 06/15/13 07:22 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: Airwolf heads [Re: 5spdcuda] #1452325
06/15/13 07:28 PM
06/15/13 07:28 PM
western pennsylvania
b1dartsport Offline
super stock
b1dartsport  Offline
super stock

western pennsylvania
Quote:

To the best of my knowledge there are three direct bolt on aluminum heads for small block Mopars. Standard Edelbrock, Indy modified Eddys ie. Indybrocks and the Chinese cast Airwolfs. I think the most interesting comparison would be between the Airwolfs and the Indybrocks since both appear to have a slight advantage over the standard version. Obviously it would be best to have equal levels of prep in order to have a fair comparison. Indybrocks do require rockers with greater offset than standard, but since they come with rockers, shafts and 3/8 studded holddowns they can still be considered a direct bolt on. I would like to see what the hp/torque vs. cost ratio is for all three.

Don't forget that the Airwolf head has provisions for a larger port area. My guess is that some enterprising individual is going to modify them in the future ala Indybrock and install an offset pushrod. If it can be done to Edelbrocks it can be done to these. If the price is right that could end up a very interesting development for the budget guy looking at a 410 to 440 ci engine. Especially since the Edelbrock SB Victor head has been relegated to the Mopar wish list.

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: 70AARcuda] #1452326
06/15/13 07:37 PM
06/15/13 07:37 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Quote:

Quote:

I think mostly his comparison is about using standard intake, valve gear and headers as the W stuff does not and adds to the switch over cost.

Correct. But the post I quoted mentioned Indybrocks, which also take offset rocker gear that isn't factory type.
And besides, most anybody who desires to make any steam at all is going to buy aftermarket rocker gear anyhow if they run a cam that has any lift at all.
All these heads mentioned will bolt right up to a production block. The W5's do need little spacers and lots of goop under the intake, but that's a minor issue, and Mopar sells or did sell the little end spacers... They were real cheap
Regards intakes, who would run a stock one? So most aluminum intakes are similar priced anyhow.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: B3422W5] #1452327
06/15/13 08:23 PM
06/15/13 08:23 PM
Kentucky
72 Dodge demon Offline
72 Dodge demon  Offline

Kentucky
If you are like me I had everything already to run edel heads. I wanted a better head but didn't want anything else. I already had hughes 1.6 rockers and a Super victor intake. Why in the crap would I want to spend all that money again. I waited and called edel brock every week for six months trying to find out about the victor head. I'm running the airwolfs now. I have got more runs on them than most make in a year (At least seven passes every Friday night since April 1 plus test all of march on Sunday and 1 trip to Ohio Valley) haven't lost a valve guide or seat. When I get home I will give all the info on my motor. It is not a power house but was built by me in my garge not some small block guru or head builder( nothen fancy just a flat top 4" stroke hughes kit, off the shelf cam,a borrowed nitrous convertor and old dominator carp that my buddy gave up on)

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: 72 Dodge demon] #1452328
06/15/13 11:18 PM
06/15/13 11:18 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline
EL Master
domingo  Offline
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

If you are like me I had everything already to run edel heads. I wanted a better head but didn't want anything else. I already had hughes 1.6 rockers and a Super victor intake. Why in the crap would I want to spend all that money again. I waited and called edel brock every week for six months trying to find out about the victor head. I'm running the airwolfs now. I have got more runs on them than most make in a year (At least seven passes every Friday night since April 1 plus test all of march on Sunday and 1 trip to Ohio Valley) haven't lost a valve guide or seat. When I get home I will give all the info on my motor. It is not a power house but was built by me in my garge not some small block guru or head builder( nothen fancy just a flat top 4" stroke hughes kit, off the shelf cam,a borrowed nitrous convertor and old dominator carp that my buddy gave up on)

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: domingo] #1452329
06/15/13 11:19 PM
06/15/13 11:19 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline
EL Master
domingo  Offline
EL Master

Lima, Peru
I think Im seeing a set of these in my near future...LOL

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: B3422W5] #1452330
06/15/13 11:31 PM
06/15/13 11:31 PM
junction city oregon
V
viperblue72 Offline
top fuel
viperblue72  Offline
top fuel
V

junction city oregon
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Correct. But the post I quoted mentioned Indybrocks, which also take offset rocker gear that isn't factory type.
And besides, most anybody who desires to make any steam at all is going to buy aftermarket rocker gear anyhow if they run a cam that has any lift at all.
All these heads mentioned will bolt right up to a production block. The W5's do need little spacers and lots of goop under the intake, but that's a minor issue, and Mopar sells or did sell the little end spacers... They were real cheap
Regards intakes, who would run a stock one? So most aluminum intakes are similar priced anyhow.

Sorry this is long winded.

The Indybrocks do NOT have an offset style rocker. They use a standard 440 rocker, which is more economical than offset rockers that are more expensive. The standard intake and headers also work on the Indybrock. They don't call them the Indybrock anymore and think they call them aluminum t/a heads or something according to the new guy at Indy.
They are a great head, but I am not sure they have the potential of a w5. They top out at .600 lift and had a bit of a reversion issue somewhere in there.
As for making more power than an std edelbrock? I have a comparison. Went from ported eddies, to Indybrocks. Went from a 11.24@118 best to a 11.0@122 in only 2 passes with the Indybrocks. I didn't even track tune it yet. I also added 100 lbs of cage when I added the Indybrocks.
I think it's fair to say I gained 40 horsepower. It definitely made alot more with the Indybrocks.
3200 pound duster after the cage,
408 stroker
10.7 compression
xe284 roller
2800 stall
4.10 gear 28" slicks
through the muffs, power steering, power brakes.
3k stall

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: 72 Dodge demon] #1452331
06/15/13 11:46 PM
06/15/13 11:46 PM
Kentucky
72 Dodge demon Offline
72 Dodge demon  Offline

Kentucky
(Pitsburghracer) Do you mind listing your engine and car details.
As accurate as possible. weight, gearing, trans type, headers, conv stall.
engine specs. comp, gas, special ring pac, vacuum pump, carbs, intake, fuel octane, ect, ect.
THANKS.
Nothing special 74 360 block .040 over with a Hughes 4" crank, H beam rods,diamond 51005 pistons(over 5 years old).016 deck height and a bullet cams roller 504000 275 at 50 duration .683 lift with 1.6 Hughes roller rockers. Crane roller lifters, Super victor intake, old 9375 dominator, custom headers and a preform distributor. Trans is a glide with a pro tree trans brake and a barrowed 5000 stall. It has 32x14 tire with 6.30 gears(I think. I can look for receipt if you want to know) in a 9". I should be able to run pump 93 but use 110 from the track. The car is a 97 tube chassis Avenger that weights 2340. Best pass so far is a 5.78 with 1.20 sixty foot at 118. From what I'm seeing racing cars faster than mine I have faster sixty footers and mile per hour but they have faster ets so I think it has more but I haven't had time to tune any more. I have it set to shift at 7400 and crossing the line around 7200 in the 1/8th

Re: Airwolf heads [Re: 72 Dodge demon] #1452332
06/15/13 11:57 PM
06/15/13 11:57 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline OP
"Little"John

PA.
Thanks for listing your combo. I'm just kicking around the idea of buying a stock set of procomps to play with but I'm still on the fence if guides and seats need replaced. That drives the costs up big time.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3