11/03/08 10:13 AM
11/03/08 10:13 AM
San Angelo, Texas, U.S.A.
1968RR Offline OP
top fuel
1968RR  Offline OP
top fuel

San Angelo, Texas, U.S.A.
I got a 440 block back from the machine shop on Friday, and all of the work looked really good except for the fact that the no. 2 bore had only been 1/2 chamfered. Half of the bore has been chamfered, and the other half still has sharp edges.
The machinist is over 100 miles away, so I don't really feel like driving all the way back just so he can fix something that I can easily fix myself.
I figured I could just go over the unchamfered area with a file and it'd be no problem.
My question is this: I'd always thought that bores were chamfered to keep the edges from getting too hot and causing detonation. A friend told me that he'd always assumed that it was for ease of piston installation. Who's right on this one?
Thanks in advance.

"When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying if I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me." - Mookie Wilson
Re: Bore chamfers [Re: 1968RR] #145032
11/03/08 10:37 AM
11/03/08 10:37 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
chamfering sharp edges(on pistons for example) is to hinder preignition but chamfering the bore is for easing ring installation(just keeps the edge from catching the ring) & it should be very slight). Yes you can chamfer the rest of the bore(carefully) with the right size/grit of file & file from the inside to the outside. Sounds like the shop got sidetracked then forgot about it & since they didn't give the block a final going over before it went out the door they missed it which doesn't bode well for that shop being meticulous & would make me uncomfortable with giving them any more of my business.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth