06/10/13 02:13 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Pertronix, there are two "r"s.

Doesn't almost every Mopar vacuum advance unit have an adjustable stop that one accesses with an Allen wrench through the vac port? The one that Accel sells or used to, modified for GM distributors?
So why can't one buy the 9.5 degree one and limit it to 8.5 degrees?

I haven't had to do this, am quite happy with my Direct Connection HP electronic distributorand MSD 6.

R.

Re: Rid of Mopar electronic mess! UPDATE! [Re: 383man] #1437746
06/10/13 10:27 PM
06/10/13 10:27 PM
N.E.Ohio
P
pacifica Offline
mopar
pacifica  Offline
mopar
P

N.E.Ohio
Quote:

Something that I remembered after reading more on this is how Bill Jenkins used to retard his timing in high gear years back when he ran a points dist. He would cut out one set of points so in high gear and high rpm he retarded his timing. Seems he used alot of advance down low but took some out up top to mph better. I have heard of others doing that also.

Ron, A prestolite dual point has one wire going to/from it that triggers the coil.

How would Jenkins take out a point set on the top end?

Would you add a second wire to one point set to open or ground it with a toggle switch?

Sounds like a good experiment for me to try as I run a prestolite dual point and am always looking for free MPH!!

Ideas for execution anyone?

Last edited by pacifica; 06/10/13 10:34 PM.
Re: Rid of Mopar electronic mess! UPDATE! [Re: dogdays] #1437747
06/10/13 10:40 PM
06/10/13 10:40 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
You'd have to solder an appropriate thickness of feeler gauge on the back of the can on both sides of the arm to limit the notches' travel into the can to change (reduce) the total amount & likely could file the notches to add total. Using the 3/32" allen wrench doesn't change the total but changes at what vacuum level the curve starts (& therefore ends) & it's linear

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Rid of Mopar electronic mess! UPDATE! [Re: pacifica] #1437748
06/10/13 11:41 PM
06/10/13 11:41 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

Something that I remembered after reading more on this is how Bill Jenkins used to retard his timing in high gear years back when he ran a points dist. He would cut out one set of points so in high gear and high rpm he retarded his timing. Seems he used alot of advance down low but took some out up top to mph better. I have heard of others doing that also.

Ron, A prestolite dual point has one wire going to/from it that triggers the coil.

How would Jenkins take out a point set on the top end?

Would you add a second wire to one point set to open or ground it with a toggle switch?

Sounds like a good experiment for me to try as I run a prestolite dual point and am always looking for free MPH!!

Ideas for execution anyone?

I actually still have the Car Craft mag from around 1971 with the article but I would have to dig it up. Normaly dual points overlap each other for more dwell but I believe he ran on the first set of points until 4th gear and then brought in the second set of points which would fire the coil later and retard the timing. I wish I could dig up the mag but I have tons of mags from about 1969 to now. Ron

Re: Rid of Mopar electronic mess! UPDATE! [Re: 383man] #1437749
06/11/13 11:42 AM
06/11/13 11:42 AM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
Quote:

I actually still have the Car Craft mag from around 1971 with the article but I would have to dig it up. Normaly dual points overlap each other for more dwell but I believe he ran on the first set of points until 4th gear and then brought in the second set of points which would fire the coil later and retard the timing. I wish I could dig up the mag but I have tons of mags from about 1969 to now. Ron

That sounds more like a 'dual stage' timing-setup in one distributor by using both points sets seperatly.

Re: Rid of Mopar electronic mess! UPDATE! [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1437750
06/11/13 12:16 PM
06/11/13 12:16 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
S
superbeedave Offline OP
mopar
superbeedave  Offline OP
mopar
S

Cincinnati, Ohio
Hey guy's, I know it's been a few days since I posted anything. It's interesting just reading all of your guy's posts. I have decide to go back to what I was using for years and that would be the 90's Mopar electronic ignition. The mallory built distributor design sucks in my book! My welded up slots in the early version to give me 23 mech plus the 15-16 initial works well. There is just something weird with the mallory dist. maybe the reluctor is really off a degree or two. I know when I compared the two reluctors the mallory one seemed to be off with the mopar reluctor just a hair. Also the mallory dist. have you noticed that the bottom of the shaft where it goes into the oil pump shaft slot is clocked off a tooth as compared to all the other dists. for big block mopars. What will happen is when you install this you will have to rotate the dist. pretty far to get it to run which throws the vacuum adv. way around towards the heater hoses. So what I did to keep the vacuum advance in the middle where it should be is using a pair of long needle nose pliers rotated the oil pump gear one tooth clockwise to keep lined up. But then again mine could be the only one like this but Summit racing sent me two and they both were alike. Thanks, Dave

Re: Rid of Mopar electronic mess! UPDATE! [Re: superbeedave] #1437751
06/11/13 12:43 PM
06/11/13 12:43 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Hey guy's, I know it's been a few days since I posted anything. It's interesting just reading all of your guy's posts. I have decide to go back to what I was using for years and that would be the 90's Mopar electronic ignition. The mallory built distributor design sucks in my book! My welded up slots in the early version to give me 23 mech plus the 15-16 initial works well. There is just something weird with the mallory dist. maybe the reluctor is really off a degree or two. I know when I compared the two reluctors the mallory one seemed to be off with the mopar reluctor just a hair. Also the mallory dist. have you noticed that the bottom of the shaft where it goes into the oil pump shaft slot is clocked off a tooth as compared to all the other dists. for big block mopars. What will happen is when you install this you will have to rotate the dist. pretty far to get it to run which throws the vacuum adv. way around towards the heater hoses. So what I did to keep the vacuum advance in the middle where it should be is using a pair of long needle nose pliers rotated the oil pump gear one tooth clockwise to keep lined up. But then again mine could be the only one like this but Summit racing sent me two and they both were alike. Thanks, Dave

You can move the wires over a tower to get the clocking correct ... oh wait , then it wouldn't be correct to the field service manual ...

The older mopar distributors are notorious for the rotor phasing to be off which is why Eberg sells the rotor with the extra slots to correct phasing.

Re: Rid of Mopar electronic mess! UPDATE! [Re: 383man] #1437752
06/12/13 03:34 PM
06/12/13 03:34 PM
P
Paul_Fancsali Offline
master
Paul_Fancsali  Offline
master
P

Ran the dual point setup on my Duster used switches on a Accell dual point turn off one set for high end charge. It works but pertronix is easier as is stock points but use a heavy set

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3