Zebulon
S
Stationwagonguy Offline OP
A Closet Buick Man
Stationwagonguy  Offline OP
A Closet Buick Man
S

Zebulon
I have a '78 Impala, just got it running again after it sat for almost 15 years. Anyhow, the "generator" light is on on the dash, and I'm trying to figure out what the issue is. The battery will obviously take some charge, but not an awful lot. I haven't actually had a chance to fully charge it either, but it took a jump pack to get it running and after running a half hour (mostly at idle), when it stalled out, I had to jump it to start it again. It would only crank about one revolution then give up. However, all the lights seemed to still work fine.

I don't know- I'm guessing since the generator light is on, it's either the alternator or the battery. How do I test either to be sure if either are good or bad? I'd rather troubleshoot than just throw money at it.

I do have a multimeter, but I'm not that good with it.

Thanks!

[image][/image] Bob SWG '68 Chrysler Town & Country, 'Katy Jo' '70 Chrysler 300 2-door '78 Impala 2-door
Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: Stationwagonguy] #142596
10/28/08 02:50 PM
10/28/08 02:50 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
take the hot wire off the batt while it is running....if it shuts off the alt is bad

if it stays running its a low or bad batt

use the multi meter to check for 14 volts while its running at the batt...may be a little more than that if its got a low batt and the alt is chargeing at the time of the reading

have the alt tested at a parts store before replacing it to be sure

good luck....

Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #142597
10/28/08 02:54 PM
10/28/08 02:54 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Quote:

take the hot wire off the batt while it is running....if it shuts off the alt is bad

Don't do this, not only is it an unreliable test of an alternator, it can damage other components when the battery is removed from the system. The battery serves as a cushion to protect against spikes.

Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #142598
10/28/08 03:38 PM
10/28/08 03:38 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
When the alternator is spinning try touching a screwdriver blade to the bearing cap on the rear of the alternator (if it has one, Mopar alternators are configured like this). Be cautious of hitting any wire terminals to ground, though.

If you get magnetism, the alternator is doing something (although you don't know how much output it has) but could still be a culprit. If there is no magnetism, though, the alt is not doing anything.

This tip is more of a first-strike diagnosis and is NOT the full story.

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #142599
10/28/08 03:43 PM
10/28/08 03:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Don't do this, not only is it an unreliable test of an alternator, it can damage other components when the battery is removed from the system. The battery serves as a cushion to protect against spikes.

i disagree. its not the best test but it would work. and these cars are pretty stout when it comes to electronics susceptable to voltage spikes.

If youre really concerned, then dont reconnect the battery if the car stays running with the ignition on. have someone turn off the ignition before reconnecting it. then there will be no spike so no possible damage

but a voltmeter would be best. check battery voltage at the alt outpput with the car off and then with it running. voltage should be a few volts higher with the car running

Re: How do you test an alternator? #142600
10/28/08 03:51 PM
10/28/08 03:51 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i disagree. its not the best test but it would work. and these cars are pretty stout when it comes to electronics susceptable to voltage spikes.

If youre really concerned, then dont reconnect the battery if the car stays running with the ignition on. have someone turn off the ignition before reconnecting it. then there will be no spike so no possible damage

but a voltmeter would be best. check battery voltage at the alt outpput with the car off and then with it running. voltage should be a few volts higher with the car running

So if you disco the battery from a running car and the car dies you figure you just reliably determined that the alternator is bad? Really?

Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #142601
10/28/08 04:09 PM
10/28/08 04:09 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
no

could be the voltage regulater bad

on a mopar I unplug the vr and ground one of the wires...if the alt goes full charge the alt is good and the vr is bad

but a chivy is internaly regulated so the whole unit is repaired or replaced

and its a 78 chivy

now on newer comp controled car I would not unhook the batt while its running

Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #142602
10/28/08 04:22 PM
10/28/08 04:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i guess I should have said it was a good test for the charging system.

mind you, this is for people who are just looking for an easy way to check battery or something else. I have a meter and know how to do it. Im just tired or rewriting it again and again

Re: How do you test an alternator? #142603
10/28/08 05:12 PM
10/28/08 05:12 PM
Zebulon
S
Stationwagonguy Offline OP
A Closet Buick Man
Stationwagonguy  Offline OP
A Closet Buick Man
S

Zebulon
Quote:

i guess I should have said it was a good test for the charging system.

mind you, this is for people who are just looking for an easy way to check battery or something else. I have a meter and know how to do it. Im just tired or rewriting it again and again

Is there somewhere you wrote it up before I could look at? I'd really like to learn how to do this correctly with a meter. I hate feeling useless and relying upon quick guesses or always having to ask other people to help.

[image][/image] Bob SWG '68 Chrysler Town & Country, 'Katy Jo' '70 Chrysler 300 2-door '78 Impala 2-door
Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: Stationwagonguy] #142604
10/28/08 05:53 PM
10/28/08 05:53 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Stationwagon: Hook up your meter to the battery with it set to volts. A good battery, charged, at rest will read about 12.6 to 12.8. Start the car. Once the engine is running you want to see something higher than your resting battery voltage taken from before you started. ANYTHING above that voltage means the charging system is doing SOMETHING but you want to see 13.5-14.5 (ish). Rev the engine to see if that gets you there. If not you have a bad connection or a faulty component.
If you DO get a 13.5 or higher reading, then do the same test with the headlights on an maybe the heater fan (load the system), if you're still getting 13.5 plus thats good. If not, you have a weak charging system.
A good next step would be to yard the alternator and take to a part shop for testing--they can determine the current (amps) output under a load and get a real good idea of condition.

Re: How do you test an alternator? #142605
10/28/08 08:43 PM
10/28/08 08:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

!!! DO NOT EVER DO THIS !!!

I've actually checked this years ago with a "test pig" that had no electronic anything. Disconnecting a charging unit from the battery generates OVER A HUNDRED volts of spike. I don't have it anymore, but I once had a 'scope photo of this spike, and used to haul it out for guys like you

One modern cars, with electronics of all kinds, solid state controls, radios, regulators and ignition, this is a GUARANTEED way of frying something. Yep---I know you "got away with it"---you might get by over a hundred times, and the 103rd time you do it, "the guy" might say, "Ya know, it's funny, when YOU worked on my alternator 'thu udder day' the RADIO quit working."

Re: How do you test an alternator? #142606
10/28/08 09:01 PM
10/28/08 09:01 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
I wrote a long version a month ago, and don't want to again. Here you go. There are others on the net, too.
http://autorepair.about.com/od/electricaltroubleshooting/a/battery_check.htm

Re: How do you test an alternator? #142607
10/28/08 10:49 PM
10/28/08 10:49 PM
Ontario
5537SG Offline
super gas
5537SG  Offline
super gas

Ontario
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've actually checked this years ago with a "test pig" that had no electronic anything. Disconnecting a charging unit from the battery generates OVER A HUNDRED volts of spike. I don't have it anymore, but I once had a 'scope photo of this spike, and used to haul it out for guys like you

One modern cars, with electronics of all kinds, solid state controls, radios, regulators and ignition, this is a GUARANTEED way of frying something. Yep---I know you "got away with it"---you might get by over a hundred times, and the 103rd time you do it, "the guy" might say, "Ya know, it's funny, when YOU worked on my alternator 'thu udder day' the RADIO quit working."

Disconnecting the battery on any vehicle while the vehicle is running is nothing but stupid. Its just as you say, it generates a huge spike, thats capable of serious damage. Oh, it might not be immediate, but it damaged something!

Ya know, I argued back and forth with a few know-it-all hacks here a few years ago over this very topic. Some people just dont want to learn.

The good news is most people get away with it because their alternator is actually bad (disconnecting it also can damage it too) and there is no spike. However, if its working....its a different story.

Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: 5537SG] #142608
10/28/08 11:35 PM
10/28/08 11:35 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
if you take the alternator off, Autozone will test it for free.

Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: 5537SG] #142609
10/28/08 11:42 PM
10/28/08 11:42 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Disconnecting the battery on any vehicle while the vehicle is running is nothing but stupid. Its just as you say, it generates a huge spike, thats capable of serious damage. Oh, it might not be immediate, but it damaged something!

Ya know, I argued back and forth with a few know-it-all hacks here a few years ago over this very topic. Some people just dont want to learn.

The good news is most people get away with it because their alternator is actually bad (disconnecting it also can damage it too) and there is no spike. However, if its working....its a different story.

Besides taking the chance of creating a spark near the batt.It's obvious some people have never seen a battery explode,not pretty!! If you have a Batteries Plus or even Auto Zone should test it for you,or follow the instructions above and use your meter!!!

Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: Dcuda69] #142610
10/29/08 08:33 AM
10/29/08 08:33 AM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
ok,what ever ,call me lucky when it comes to me doin it

I am just a shade tree rabid parts changer and should keep my comments to myself

dont do it that way

the all mighty knows all has spokin

Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #142611
10/29/08 09:01 AM
10/29/08 09:01 AM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Online content
I Win
stumpy  Online Content
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Guess I've been lucky for the last 50 years. I never had one spike enough to hurt the electrical system or a battery blow up either. But we must listen to the "experts".

Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: RodStRace] #142612
10/29/08 09:28 AM
10/29/08 09:28 AM
Colorado
D
denfireguy Offline
top fuel
denfireguy  Offline
top fuel
D

Colorado
Quote:

I wrote a long version a month ago, and don't want to again. Here you go. There are others on the net, too.
http://autorepair.about.com/od/electricaltroubleshooting/a/battery_check.htm

You are right, thought we had beaten this horse to death already.
No wonder there are so many bad regulators on the rallye dashes out there.
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado
Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: stumpy] #142613
10/29/08 09:45 AM
10/29/08 09:45 AM
Ontario
5537SG Offline
super gas
5537SG  Offline
super gas

Ontario
Quote:

Guess I've been lucky for the last 50 years. I never had one spike enough to hurt the electrical system or a battery blow up either. But we must listen to the "experts".

sometimes the damage isnt obvious or immediately apparent.

I dumped alot of Freon into the atmosphere too, but I never saw anything happen

As for the blown up battery, tell that to the guy at the garage down the road from me with one eye. It does happen.

But theres no need to be cranky about it, just accept the new found knowledge and move on. The day a mechanic stops learning is the day they are no longer a mechanic.

Keep an open mind, and aim to learn, cause it never stops.

the guy who started this thread sought knowledge, now he has some.

Re: How do you test an alternator? [Re: ahy] #142614
10/29/08 09:50 AM
10/29/08 09:50 AM
NH
Fastback67 Offline
enthusiast
Fastback67  Offline
enthusiast

NH
Quote:

if you take the alternator off, Autozone will test it for free.

Most shops will test it for FREE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3