10/28/08 01:04 PM
10/28/08 01:04 PM
Monroe,Connecticut
BigEdsGarage Offline OP
pro stock
BigEdsGarage  Offline OP
pro stock

Monroe,Connecticut
OK Guys, my 79 truck frame is heading out to the sand blasters for some clean up. I want to coat it when it is done and never worry about it again. Looking for some input as to which of the 3 products gives the best results, or even recommendations for other products. I've never used any of these products so I am looking for the good and bad from anyone who has. I have to say the Rust Bullet product is looking pretty good at this point but would love some more feedback.

Re: Rust Bullet, POR 15 or Zero Rust? [Re: BigEdsGarage] #142574
10/28/08 01:09 PM
10/28/08 01:09 PM
Florida
D
Dennispsalm91 Offline
mopar
Dennispsalm91  Offline
mopar
D

Florida
I would not recommend por15, have used it , preped it as they instructed and peeled off within a year

Re: Rust Bullet, POR 15 or Zero Rust? [Re: BigEdsGarage] #142575
10/28/08 01:13 PM
10/28/08 01:13 PM
Just South of The Motor City
limechallenger Offline
mopar
limechallenger  Offline
mopar

Just South of The Motor City
Quote:

OK Guys, my 79 truck frame is heading out to the sand blasters for some clean up. I want to coat it when it is done and never worry about it again. Looking for some input as to which of the 3 products gives the best results, or even recommendations for other products. I've never used any of these products so I am looking for the good and bad from anyone who has. I have to say the Rust Bullet product is looking pretty good at this point but would love some more feedback.

DP-90 works great!

70 T/A Challenger 78 Aspen R/T 87 Indy 500 Dakota
Re: Rust Bullet, POR 15 or Zero Rust? [Re: BigEdsGarage] #142576
10/28/08 02:21 PM
10/28/08 02:21 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
If you're sending it out to be sandblasted and it's down to clean metal, IMO the rust products like por, rust bullet, etc are not what you really need. I would suggest just painting it with a good rust paint, ie tremclad, rustoleum, etc, then topcoating it with a good undercoating like eastwood's chassis black or something similar available from your local autobody supply store. A good undercoating is going to be much more durable in the long run than those other rust products IMO.

FWIW, I've also had problems with POR. I did the underside of my floorboards in my daytona with por. I followed their instructions to the letter and used all their recommended supporting products($$$) and that stuff peeled off after one winter of driving. I do pressure wash the underside of my cars a bit at the car wash, and I guess over the course of one winter that was enough to peel that stuff right off. IF you do insist on using POR or similar products, I highly suggest topcoating them with a good undercoating, just because on their own I don't believe those products to be the most durable stuff out there.

Re: Rust Bullet, POR 15 or Zero Rust? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #142577
10/28/08 02:48 PM
10/28/08 02:48 PM
Missouri
NFURY8 Offline
super street
NFURY8  Offline
super street

Missouri
I agree, if sand blasting I wouldn't use any of those. I used POR on my Fury, for the most part it is doing very well, but there are places that it just isn't hanging on. I put new spring perches on the axle and prepped them with Metal Ready, power washer blew the POR right off. Held fine on the axle that was seasoned and blasted.

I had the frame blasted on my 70 W200 and painted it with VanSickle Farm & Implement paint, like Rustoleam. It is holding up very well, I have been beating on it pretty good while putting the truck back together. It also can be easily touched up. POR doesn't stick to itself, so touch up can be tricky.

The sandblaster offered to powder coat the frame for $200 more, which would have been a good deal, but I still had several frame modifications to do. I wish I had powder coated the sub frame on my Fury, instead of POR.

C-Body DryDock Bigger is Better!