MI, Lapeer
M
maximus Offline OP
super stock
maximus  Offline OP
super stock
M

MI, Lapeer
What is the correct gap between an original cross ram manifold and the firewall? Or distance between firewall and back of block. I have two trans mounts and one moves the motor 3/4 inch forward of the other. Have correct locations for all other dimensions up/down and cross-car from previous threads.Will be making k member mounts have all other original mounting hardware.

Re: Hemi fore/aft location 68 Dart [Re: maximus] #1423211
04/21/13 03:49 PM
04/21/13 03:49 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
I would be more concerned about header fit than firewall distance.With most Dart/Cuda Hemi installs most common problem is the headers and the steering componants.We found further back works better in most cases.Set the engine in bolt everything up and shift the engine right to left,back and forth for the best fit,then tweak the mounts.Modify the passenger shock tower before you even set the engine in.If you look at 10 original BO/LO cars you won't find any one exact specific demension.

Re: Hemi fore/aft location 68 Dart [Re: B G Racing] #1423212
04/21/13 06:47 PM
04/21/13 06:47 PM
MI, Lapeer
M
maximus Offline OP
super stock
maximus  Offline OP
super stock
M

MI, Lapeer
I am using the stock 6 cylinder k member with all motor mounts removed. The motor will set in and locates in the correct height and centerline location. The only issue is the motor mount insulator on the left side is almost on the k member which is not an issue being I am making the mounts on the k member for mounting. Are there any other issues using the 6 cylinder k member with a 426 hemi?

Re: Hemi fore/aft location 68 Dart [Re: maximus] #1423213
04/21/13 07:41 PM
04/21/13 07:41 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I am using the stock 6 cylinder k member with all motor mounts removed. The motor will set in and locates in the correct height and centerline location. The only issue is the motor mount insulator on the left side is almost on the k member which is not an issue being I am making the mounts on the k member for mounting. Are there any other issues using the 6 cylinder k member with a 426 hemi?

This is a 6 clyinder K-member in with a cross ram hemi. Use the stock 67-72? trans crossmember with square type mount. This is for the new TTI hemi A-body headers.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 04/21/13 07:48 PM.
Re: Hemi fore/aft location 68 Dart [Re: B G Racing] #1423214
04/21/13 08:37 PM
04/21/13 08:37 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Quote:

I would be more concerned about header fit than firewall distance.With most Dart/Cuda Hemi installs most common problem is the headers and the steering componants.We found further back works better in most cases.Set the engine in bolt everything up and shift the engine right to left,back and forth for the best fit,then tweak the mounts.Modify the passenger shock tower before you even set the engine in.If you look at 10 original BO/LO cars you won't find any one exact specific demension.

How do the headers fit?
I dropped the K 1/2" and used the later style tranny mount because it is easier to drop 1/2" like the K so everything stays lined up. That mount would be easier to shift the engine for or aft with, too.

Master, again and still
Re: Hemi fore/aft location 68 Dart [Re: DaveRS23] #1423215
04/22/13 12:59 PM
04/22/13 12:59 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

How do the headers fit?
I dropped the K 1/2" and used the later style tranny mount because it is easier to drop 1/2" like the K so everything stays lined up. That mount would be easier to shift the engine for or aft with, too.

When dropping the K-frame be careful of the upper control arm geometry especially if your using stock early a-body parts.I would get a set of Bob's Pro-Fab upper arms.

Re: Hemi fore/aft location 68 Dart [Re: B G Racing] #1423216
04/22/13 08:27 PM
04/22/13 08:27 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How do the headers fit?

When dropping the K-frame be careful of the upper control arm geometry especially if your using stock early a-body parts.I would get a set of Bob's Pro-Fab upper arms.

Aftermarket A arms and the taller spindles.

Master, again and still