Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

With Nitrous you effectively can put in as much oxygen as you want.

Same as a naturally aspirated motor...you can pump as much oxygen as you want if you keep going bigger and adding more cylinder head and camshaft....

Quote:

You need both, but the fuel is the unit that can be measured to determine how much energy can be produced.

Scott

Nitrous is MEASURED in LBS/hour....and you MEASURE air flow into a naturally aspirated motor with a turbine...

Air flow is EVERYTHING or you could do as I already mentioned and just keep adding more and more fuel, but as everyone knows, making a motor "rich" hurts power...

My understanding of NOS from some guys that have used it and learned it, like some of the good guys on here, it is easier to hurt the motor (burn the pistons up) with to much gasoline than with to little (to rich) OP, try the jetting I sent you at 5 lbs of fuel pressure and then go up two jets sizes on both the NOS and gasoline until you get the results you want, use a retracted gap spark plug and 34 degrees at or under 100 HP 30 degrees after that until 150 HP and then use 26 degrees actual at or above 5000 RPM when your close to two hundred HP added on

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: ProStDodge] #1380889
02/04/13 02:36 PM
02/04/13 02:36 PM
Overpriced Housing Central
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Overpriced Housing Central
Quote:

Yes you need oxygen to burn anything.

I knew the answer. Without the oxidizer (n2o) you can't stuff more fuel in the engine.

You introduce "x" amount of oxidizer and need "y' of fuel to garner a certain A/F and power. The issue I have with that software is you keep packing fuel in, it makes more power... which isn't always the result. If more fuel was the key, you wouldn't need the oxidizer. Lean, to a point, is mean.

Look at the jetting recs over the years. The juice kits were horribly rich for 30+ years. We were drilling juice bars in the 80's or stepping down the recommended fuel pressure to get them to run better. According to that software, we (in the 80's) and most current kit producers are going the wrong direction.

Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: Cab_Burge] #1380890
02/04/13 03:23 PM
02/04/13 03:23 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

My understanding of NOS from some guys that have used it and learned it, like some of the good guys on here, it is easier to hurt the motor (burn the pistons up) with to much gasoline than with to little (to rich) OP, try the jetting I sent you at 5 lbs of fuel pressure and then go up two jets sizes on both the NOS and gasoline until you get the results you want, use a retracted gap spark plug and 34 degrees at or under 100 HP 30 degrees after that until 150 HP and then use 26 degrees actual at or above 5000 RPM when your close to two hundred HP added on

Cab, with all due respect, that is TERRIBLE advice... Going up 2 numbers on both nos and fuel gets progressivley richer and richer, which goes against what you just said about a rich condition hurting parts.....and the timing numbers you'd recommended are too high also, IMHO...

If you can't handle the truth, you're living a lie.......
Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: RobX4406] #1380891
02/04/13 03:28 PM
02/04/13 03:28 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

Yes you need oxygen to burn anything.

I knew the answer. Without the oxidizer (n2o) you can't stuff more fuel in the engine.

You introduce "x" amount of oxidizer and need "y' of fuel to garner a certain A/F and power. The issue I have with that software is you keep packing fuel in, it makes more power... which isn't always the result. If more fuel was the key, you wouldn't need the oxidizer. Lean, to a point, is mean.

Look at the jetting recs over the years. The juice kits were horribly rich for 30+ years. We were drilling juice bars in the 80's or stepping down the recommended fuel pressure to get them to run better. According to that software, we (in the 80's) and most current kit producers are going the wrong direction.

Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Exactly, Rob... and a couple more points about the nitrous calculators....First, they don't take into consideration how much the solenoids flow and Second, they can't be accurate because it's a fact that just because you go up one jet size it doesn't necessarily mean it'll flow X% more....it just doesn't work that way...anyone that's used a flow bench will tell you that....Having said that, a calculator is fun to play with and when spraying relatively small amounts like 150hp and less you'll probably never hurt anything, but if you use those numbers spraying 300-400HP you WILL burn your motor up, so that again proves that they don't work....

And on the "more than one way to skin a cat" comment....personally I don't believe that....IMHO there's only one way to tune a motor...JUST like a naturally aspirated motor, once you've chosen all the parts the ONLY two things you can change are timing and the A/F ratio...and only ONE combination will make the most power....which boils down to the correct A/F ratio and as little timing as possible AND still make max power....Tuning nitrous is no different.....you pick a nitrous jet....start out with conservative timing....dial in the A/F ratio...then creep timing in....simple...and EXACTLY like tuning a naturally aspirated motor.....

Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: Big Squeeze] #1380892
02/05/13 04:31 PM
02/05/13 04:31 PM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
Thanks Big Squeeze, some real good info in here. Now if I could only get the stupid car to hook.

Brett Miller W9 cnc'd heads
STR Chassis fabraction
Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: 1967dartgt] #1380893
02/06/13 12:10 AM
02/06/13 12:10 AM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Thanks Big Squeeze, some real good info in here. Now if I could only get the stupid car to hook.

You're welcome....

What's the story on the car and why it's not hooking??

Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: Big Squeeze] #1380894
02/06/13 01:08 AM
02/06/13 01:08 AM
Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

Quote:

and a couple more points about the nitrous calculators....First, they don't take into consideration how much the solenoids flow and Second, they can't be accurate because it's a
fact that just because you go up one jet size it doesn't necessarily mean it'll flow X% more....it just doesn't work that way...anyone that's used a flow bench will tell you that....Having said that, a calculator is fun to play with and when spraying relatively small amounts like 150hp and less you'll probably never hurt anything, but if you use those numbers spraying 300-400HP you WILL burn your motor up, so that again proves that they don't work..

Big Squeeze

2 comments:

Have YOU personally ever used the Nitrous Master program or compared it against any of your "experienced" Nitrous tunes?

And did you know that it was written and calculated using a flow bench and real world experience to come up with the predictions in addition to the mathematics?

I don't really want to turn this thread into a piss'n contest, but I have used this program for 10+ years with very consistent results.

Scott

Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: ProStDodge] #1380895
02/06/13 10:19 AM
02/06/13 10:19 AM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

and a couple more points about the nitrous calculators....First, they don't take into consideration how much the solenoids flow and Second, they can't be accurate because it's a
fact that just because you go up one jet size it doesn't necessarily mean it'll flow X% more....it just doesn't work that way...anyone that's used a flow bench will tell you that....Having said that, a calculator is fun to play with and when spraying relatively small amounts like 150hp and less you'll probably never hurt anything, but if you use those numbers spraying 300-400HP you WILL burn your motor up, so that again proves that they don't work..

Big Squeeze

2 comments:

Have YOU personally ever used the Nitrous Master program or compared it against any of your "experienced" Nitrous tunes?

And did you know that it was written and calculated using a flow bench and real world experience to come up with the predictions in addition to the mathematics?

I don't really want to turn this thread into a piss'n contest, but I have used this program for 10+ years with very consistent results.

Scott

Yes, I did play with it back before I knew very much about nitrous... agreed, I'm not trying to make you or anyone mad... just trying to help...

Like I'd already mentioned, just changing the solenoid affects nitrous and fuel flow, so that calculator CAN'T be correct...

Anyone that understands what's involved in flowing something knows it can't be very accurate...and like I'd already mentioned, figuring hp off fuel is wrong, no two ways about it...and like already mentioned, spraying small amounts I'm sure you'll be fine...

BUT, if you tune the way I've described, you will make more power with the same nitrous jet and it will be trouble free...again, when people throw out what jet numbers to use for a nitrous tuneup, it's just like telling someone what jets to run in their carb...if you're lucky it'll get them close, but it CAN'T be as accurate as tuning it yourself and dialing it in...

I'll bet that you can't find anyone who's used that calculator to spray 200, 300 or 400Hp with "consistent results"...

I tune 2-3 cars/week and do quite a bit of nitrous stuff...I'm not just making this up or repeating what I've read somewhere..

Does what I say not make any sense?

Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: Big Squeeze] #1380896
02/06/13 11:14 AM
02/06/13 11:14 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline OP
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline OP

Brookeville, Md
150 is all this thing will ever see...lol Now I just have to figure out how to "map" out all the wires and plumbing!

Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: Big Squeeze] #1380897
02/06/13 01:50 PM
02/06/13 01:50 PM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
Quote:

Quote:

You're welcome....

Caltracs, afco double adjustable shocks all the way around, and 295/65 hoosier drag radials. The car will go 1.41-48 on motor but just blow off the tires on the hit. Edelbrock progressive controller set at 30% with 2 sec ramp on 73/65 jets in speedtech diffuser plate makes smoke show.lol Switching to slicks this year, hope it works out.

STR Chassis fabraction
Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: 1967dartgt] #1380898
02/06/13 02:39 PM
02/06/13 02:39 PM
Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Marion, South Carolina [><]
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're welcome....

Caltracs, afco double adjustable shocks all the way around, and 295/65 hoosier drag radials. The car will go 1.41-48 on motor but just blow off the tires on the hit. Edelbrock progressive controller set at 30% with 2 sec ramp on 73/65 jets in speedtech diffuser plate makes smoke show.lol Switching to slicks this year, hope it works out.

What's up front?

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: an8sec70cuda] #1380899
02/06/13 02:48 PM
02/06/13 02:48 PM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
Afco double adjustable front and rear. Stock suspension with energy suspension poly bushings. Oh yea forgot to say it is on e85 so thats a e85tune in the plate. I run a 58 fuel jet if I am on c16. -1 mono leaf spring from calvert with a 3/4 lowering block.

STR Chassis fabraction
Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: 1967dartgt] #1380900
02/07/13 02:33 AM
02/07/13 02:33 AM
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

Mr. yuck,

My obviously flawed approach to NOS predicts you will need to run a pair of 48 Nos Jets, and a pair of 44 Fuel jets, set fuel pressure at 5.5 lbs for the NOS, and timing at 32-33. If you have a tire that will hook the car, you should run a LOW 10.40 without the Water/meth injection, which I have no experience in.

Your 60ft should be about 1.51 or so to be able to run 10.40 in a car that heavy. Anything slower will effect the ET.

Scott

Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: ProStDodge] #1380901
02/07/13 09:22 AM
02/07/13 09:22 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline OP
Mr.Yuck  Offline OP

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Mr. yuck,

My obviously flawed approach to NOS predicts you will need to run a pair of 48 Nos Jets, and a pair of 44 Fuel jets, set fuel pressure at 5.5 lbs for the NOS, and timing at 32-33. If you have a tire that will hook the car, you should run a LOW 10.40 without the Water/meth injection, which I have no experience in.

Your 60ft should be about 1.51 or so to be able to run 10.40 in a car that heavy. Anything slower will effect the ET.

Scott

Thanks for the input...everybody. I guess I'll treat it like a carb and go from there. I'd like to get the car to 60 around 1.55 before the spray. Not sure that's doable w/ XHD springs, summit drag shocks and 275's, but we'll see. Perhaps it's best to spin a little and go for MPH.
Any other advise? like what to do the 1st time out? Full pass, half pass? only 2&3rd gear?

Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1380902
02/07/13 09:57 AM
02/07/13 09:57 AM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

i hate to be a pest..
but I strongly recommend that (especially since its a new set up) you flow the fuel side of the system to set "flowing" fuel pressure..5.5 is ok..
(i like psi a lil higher for atomization between two plates and plumbing..but just get a solid base fuel psi then go from there)
i made a pill/fixture to flow my self from brake line.
but with two base plates you may just want to use your kits base plates..
You need to flow the kit/set up you have through the fuel jets you will be using ...then adjust the fuel pressure reg to find and set your flowing fuel psi.
I strongly suggest:you do this...keep the plates off the engine..then engineer a longer fuel supply line from the engine bay to allow the base plates to reach a catch bucket...
install your fuel pills into these plates . set the plates down into the bucket then flow only the fuelside of the system. and adjust the fuel psi while fuel is flowing...
(leave no2 lines off/system/bottle off)
once you see a stable fuel psi..trigger it a few times and watch what the psi does... if you like what you see..then mount the plates on the motor.
and understand that is the flowing fuel psi.
this is the only way to get a baseline and know your fuel is right..
after that its just a matter of no2 jets and timing...
best of luck...

ps..the earlier explanations were more a trial in symantics...I think those guys where trying to give you a broad explanation.. some guys jumped in..focusing on some goofy aspects..
^***************************************
get fuel psi right..put in colder plugs.
get your bottle psi 950 (no reason to go higher)
set your no2 pills..and your timing...based on your hp package.
get the car running..(after purging system manually bring up the rpms to about 1200 rpm hold it steady there.then for a split second snap the no2 trigger..if it jumps rpms in an instant..crisply like a 2 stroke..then your close.. should be crisp and clean .
then i suggest only making 80 foot pass for the first pass on no2 ...check your plugs. and listen to motor..if it pulls clean..and plugs look good. work your way towards full passes.

my experience if it pops or sputters or feels like its breaking up..its to fuel fat.
if its clean on each shortend run..then check plugs..
Detination for me was never something i could feel..i only saw it on the plugs..
some of the passes that ate pistons felt strong until it went boom...
thats why i say start with short runs and check plugs...

its a nice shot in the arsey when its working right...

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1380903
02/07/13 10:05 AM
02/07/13 10:05 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
I didn't read every post, so I don't know if this has been said yet.

During NOS use I would run the car on very high octane gasoline and not use the meth injection during NOS use. My

Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #1380904
02/07/13 10:40 AM
02/07/13 10:40 AM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

ps..the earlier explanations were more a trial in symantics...I think those guys where trying to give you a broad explanation.. some guys jumped in..focusing on some goofy aspects

Can you explain what you mean by this? just curious what your thoughts are..

Re: NOS jetting (pill) question [Re: Big Squeeze] #1380905
02/08/13 12:59 AM
02/08/13 12:59 AM
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

some guys where getting all into how fuel mixes and how nitrous does or doesnt work..

there is no doubt he will have to fine tune it..
but i can say..when guys mix and match plates from other kits or selenoids...you get a hodge podge. i would resist changing anything from a kit at first...
With the type of power he is looking to shoot..
the basics are important..and most professional kits will work good if you follow that kits directions on fuel and pill mapping...
IMHO base lines are what is needed...first..
the sooner you get to a safe base tune that is verified by plugs and the time slip..or data logger..the less parts that get damaged and the more fun you have..
dont get too technical at first...with nitrous i find most guys get too tricky when they first start out..and miss a basic or simple item..
then they have a hard time fixing the problem.
that is all...nothing directed at you...

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2