Lenox Iowa
M
MMiller Offline OP
mopar
MMiller  Offline OP
mopar
M

Lenox Iowa
I have a pair of Indy Aluminum cylinder heads on a 470" roller cammed engine. I cannot use the aluminum heads due to class rules, and have some Max Wedge Replacement heads CNCd waiting to go on. I'm planning on taking the heads to a swap meet this weekend to try and sell them to buy other parts for my pulling truck.

Should I keep the pushrods and the Indy rockers and run them a season on my iron heads? Or should I sell them with the heads and move onto purchasing some Hartlands or T&Ds. The motor was not ran hard before and seems in good shape. I will likely be turning this motor 72-7500 rpms(maybe more) in a 4wd pulling truck. I'm on a budget and hope the cylinder heads being sold will help me buy more axle parts, I need to regear both front and read diffs, plus spool rear, locker front, and some axle shafts. If I sell the Indy rockers, I will need to put money into some more rockers and pushrods. Engine currently has a roller cam in it, the specs are not in front of me.

Thanks guys.
Michael

93 W250 CTD getrag, Bosch 185 injectors, AFE air filter. Trailer puller, daily driver,

90 W250 CTD 727 with smokin 5" stacks. Off road truck

75 Dodge W200 440 4spd 4x4 locked front and rear, twin disc clutch, E85. Pulling truck
Re: BBM Indy valve train advice needed. [Re: MMiller] #1374068
01/22/13 12:58 AM
01/22/13 12:58 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
If the Indy parts will fit onto the new heads and if the rockers will take the pressure of the new valve springs why not use them If no to either of those qualifiactions by all means sell them and buy better ones like you want BTW, which set of Indy heads, which size intake ports, are you selling and for how much

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: BBM Indy valve train advice needed. [Re: MMiller] #1374069
01/22/13 01:30 AM
01/22/13 01:30 AM
south central,Pa
mopar_to_ya Offline
pro stock
mopar_to_ya  Offline
pro stock

south central,Pa
My
Through my experience, I ran Indy 440-1's, and was told to upgrade to Harland Sharpes, and very glad I did. But I did run the pushrods from Indy, and 45-50 runs they started breaking, costing me two races in a row and a nice points lead, which I did regain at the last race,lol. I switched to Smith Bros and never had an issue after that. A friend of mine broke quite a few rockers before switching to Harland Sharpes and not having any trouble since.
Hope this helps

And for the record, I AM NOT bashing Indy by no means, I have lots of Indy stuff, and am happy
with what I have run!!!

7556724-GTS11-6-1.jpg (78 downloads)

It's a bigblock with a torque flight!!!
Re: BBM Indy valve train advice needed. [Re: mopar_to_ya] #1374070
01/22/13 02:43 AM
01/22/13 02:43 AM
North Carolina
sasquatch Offline
master
sasquatch  Offline
master

North Carolina
The Indy length pushrods are to long for your iron maxies. If you are running a roller I would upgrade to some Harlands or T/Ds. The exhaust rockers would work but the intakes may require a bit of grinding for clearance if they are the offset 440-1s. If they are the sandard offset they should fit your maxies ok but may require different side shims.
Todd

Re: BBM Indy valve train advice needed. [Re: MMiller] #1374071
01/23/13 06:52 PM
01/23/13 06:52 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Quote:

I have a pair of Indy Aluminum cylinder heads on a 470" roller cammed engine. I cannot use the aluminum heads due to class rules, and have some Max Wedge Replacement heads CNCd waiting to go on. I'm planning on taking the heads to a swap meet this weekend to try and sell them to buy other parts for my pulling truck.

Should I keep the pushrods and the Indy rockers and run them a season on my iron heads? Or should I sell them with the heads and move onto purchasing some Hartlands or T&Ds. The motor was not ran hard before and seems in good shape. I will likely be turning this motor 72-7500 rpms(maybe more) in a 4wd pulling truck. I'm on a budget and hope the cylinder heads being sold will help me buy more axle parts, I need to regear both front and read diffs, plus spool rear, locker front, and some axle shafts. If I sell the Indy rockers, I will need to put money into some more rockers and pushrods. Engine currently has a roller cam in it, the specs are not in front of me.

Thanks guys.
Michael

You do know that Indy makes cast iron heads also right???
Maybe check out some of the Indy dealers for a possible trade-in value for your MW heads
Give Nick a call at www.compu-flow.com
At least all your other parts will work
Gus

7558803-savoyburnout.jpg (52 downloads)

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: BBM Indy valve train advice needed. [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1374072
01/24/13 12:38 AM
01/24/13 12:38 AM
Lenox Iowa
M
MMiller Offline OP
mopar
MMiller  Offline OP
mopar
M

Lenox Iowa
Quote:

You do know that Indy makes cast iron heads also right???
Maybe check out some of the Indy dealers for a possible trade-in value for your MW heads
Give Nick a call at www.compu-flow.com
At least all your other parts will work
Gus

I have found the need to clarify some things. Class rules state OEM Iron heads. I already have some Max Wedge Replacement heads with correct casting numbers, ported, and assembled. I had them before buying an engine with these aluminium heads on them. The engine has the correct pistons, a decent camshaft and a ton of good parts that I would have spent a bunch more money on building myself.

I do appreciate all the advice, its all been read and tossed around.

Michael

93 W250 CTD getrag, Bosch 185 injectors, AFE air filter. Trailer puller, daily driver,

90 W250 CTD 727 with smokin 5" stacks. Off road truck

75 Dodge W200 440 4spd 4x4 locked front and rear, twin disc clutch, E85. Pulling truck
Re: BBM Indy valve train advice needed. [Re: MMiller] #1374073
01/25/13 02:37 PM
01/25/13 02:37 PM
Sk. Canada
RemCharger Offline
master
RemCharger  Offline
master

Sk. Canada
I ended up tracking down some crane offset intakes that were made just for this application. Thats what I would recommend, rather than stock, or indy offset. Other options would be to get a hold of dvorak machine,, but thats probably overkill for your setup.
I just wasn't comfortable with running rockers bandaided up for high rpm use.

Re: BBM Indy valve train advice needed. [Re: mopar_to_ya] #1374074
01/25/13 02:53 PM
01/25/13 02:53 PM
fresno ca
M
mikeysmopars Offline
top fuel
mikeysmopars  Offline
top fuel
M

fresno ca
Quote:

My
Through my experience, I ran Indy 440-1's, and was told to upgrade to Harland Sharpes, and very glad I did. But I did run the pushrods from Indy, and 45-50 runs they started breaking, costing me two races in a row and a nice points lead, which I did regain at the last race,lol. I switched to Smith Bros and never had an issue after that. A friend of mine broke quite a few rockers before switching to Harland Sharpes and not having any trouble since.
Hope this helps

DITTO!

And for the record, I AM NOT bashing Indy by no means, I have lots of Indy stuff, and am happy
with what I have run!!!

Founder and CEO of the Central Valley Mopar Drag Pack