western PA
S
Sb Valiant Offline OP
enthusiast
Sb Valiant  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

western PA
Should I build a small block that turns alot of rpms or build a stroker and turn it under 7,000 rpm. Would building stroker be cheaper or atleast in the long run? I think a high winding small block is awesome but for bracket racing just seems like to much. If anyone maybe could throw in their on a small cubic inch small block that turns alot of rpm and bracket races feel free I just can't see much durability to it but would love to hear your combo! But I think it would probaly be alot safer to build more cubes and not turn it so high and would deffiently last longer..

Re: Help Me Decide [Re: Sb Valiant] #1368240
01/11/13 08:17 PM
01/11/13 08:17 PM
Alabama
Mopar-Al Offline
master
Mopar-Al  Offline
master

Alabama
You had 300 bucks laST for leaf springs, now yer into an engine. hahaha. A stroker turning 7k is winding it up. Were you expecting to run a non stroker higher? yer a card

Re: Help Me Decide [Re: Mopar-Al] #1368241
01/11/13 08:42 PM
01/11/13 08:42 PM
nc
E
emarine01 Offline
master
emarine01  Offline
master
E

nc
Quote:

You had 300 bucks laST for leaf springs, now yer into an engine. hahaha. A stroker turning 7k is winding it up. Were you expecting to run a non stroker higher? yer a card

Easy fella, the learning curve has to start somewhere

Re: Help Me Decide [Re: emarine01] #1368242
01/12/13 11:13 PM
01/12/13 11:13 PM
Now - Port Orange,Fla. Former...
MIKES_DUSTER Offline
master
MIKES_DUSTER  Offline
master

Yeah!!!!!!!!! This is s kid in high school and it's he and his dads car. Talked to him today and they found out there was a lot wrong with the motor and it needs,as far as I'm concerned is a total rebuild. So,be easy on him,he's just starting out . We all had to start somewhere and time.

Re: Help Me Decide [Re: Sb Valiant] #1368243
01/12/13 11:39 PM
01/12/13 11:39 PM
off the grid
340B5 Offline
pro stock
340B5  Offline
pro stock

off the grid
It's always easier on the wallet to keep the rpm down. If you start from scratch (bare block and no guts) build the stroker w/the best parts you can afford.

Start w/ lower shift points and work your way up. You'd be surprised where it quits going faster. No need to turn it harder after that.

Yeah, it's got a smallblock.
Re: Help Me Decide [Re: Sb Valiant] #1368244
01/13/13 12:04 AM
01/13/13 12:04 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Should I build a small block that turns alot of rpms or build a stroker and turn it under 7,000 rpm. Would building stroker be cheaper or atleast in the long run? I think a high winding small block is awesome but for bracket racing just seems like to much. If anyone maybe could throw in their on a small cubic inch small block that turns alot of rpm and bracket races feel free I just can't see much durability to it but would love to hear your combo! But I think it would probaly be alot safer to build more cubes and not turn it so high and would deffiently last longer..

A few things here.... RPM is HP no matter if its a
stroker or stock crank(more fires during the same
time span) BUT you HAVE to build it for rpm... light
parts are a MUST with a good balance... I run a small
stroker (405ci) and turn it to 8200 but its been to
9600(trying to see if it made more power)... you
need to look at your wallet FIRST... how much money
do you want to spend... now look at .. do you want to
start on the bottom end or the top end... power is in
the heads... longevity is in the bottom end and rockers

Re: Help Me Decide [Re: MIKES_DUSTER] #1368245
01/13/13 01:03 AM
01/13/13 01:03 AM
Alabama
Mopar-Al Offline
master
Mopar-Al  Offline
master

Alabama
Quote:

Yeah!!!!!!!!! This is s kid in high school and it's he and his dads car. Talked to him today and they found out there was a lot wrong with the motor and it needs,as far as I'm concerned is a total rebuild. So,be easy on him,he's just starting out . We all had to start somewhere and time.

I'm not knocking him. It's just last week he only had 300 bucks and was working on a different area on his car. Now he wants a high rev engine. As you say a total rebuild? We dont actually know what he has to start off with. Is this a winter 3 month project, or a big build that will take a year or better? What are the intended goals for et and times?

If it's a 10 sec goal, He needs to list all he has so far , on 1 post, so everyone can help him out, and he can jot down some names and part numbers. Going from the front to the back.

Once he commits to a plan/build, he can reach his goal easier, and not waste money.

Good luck to the OP and List your intentions, and what you have now.

Re: Help Me Decide [Re: Mopar-Al] #1368246
01/13/13 05:03 AM
01/13/13 05:03 AM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
I had a nice enough running car five / six years ago.
But I am not too different from a lot of us in that I wanted more.
I could have enjoyed the car for a couple more years before I dove into the project , but I haven't mashed a throttle in anger in four years.
There was one set back ( a retaining wall along my driveway ) that took a big chunk-o-budget , but for the most part , I have been stock piling , saving and building as I went.
You need deep pockets to make this stuff happen in a hurry , so if you are on a shoe string budget I say you can save yourself a ton of bucks and time by making an honest assessment of what your goals are.
And do it once.
Patience and money are your best friends.
How much of each depends on how fast you want to go.
I have more patience than money , so four years isn't bad for what I will have when it is done.
And I am close enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel now.....I will definitely be making laps this spring.
I guess what I am trying to say is don't be putting 200 to 300 dollar band aids on your car just yet.
Make a plan and follow it and be realistic about what your performance goals are.
You'll probably want more once you get your deal " finished ".......so try to incorporate the potential for more into the initial build......whether it is big block motor mounts ( I mention this because I think a mild big block would give you more bang for the buck ) or good working suspension or a 10 point cage.....all would be there when you step up to the next level and all will benefit immediately.

Re: Help Me Decide [Re: tubtar] #1368247
01/13/13 10:18 AM
01/13/13 10:18 AM
Mississippi
M
Mr. T Offline
super stock
Mr. T  Offline
super stock
M

Mississippi
It is good to hear from a young person interested in our sport. Before you go sinking a ton of money into a bracket car, remember that you do NOT have to go real quick in order to be competitive in bracket racing.
The engine in my car is a non stroked 360 with a hydraulic cam. The engine just finished it's sixteenth season of racing. The only thing that has been replaced in the engine in the last 16 years is a new set of valve springs.
In our points race this past year, there were only 3 other drivers that placed ahead of me. In 2004 the $20,000 footbrake race held in Montgomery AL. was won by a stock V\6 powered Chevy Cavilier. Think before you spend.

Re: Help Me Decide [Re: MIKES_DUSTER] #1368248
01/13/13 12:57 PM
01/13/13 12:57 PM
western PA
S
stevet340 Offline
enthusiast
stevet340  Offline
enthusiast
S

western PA
Quote:

I just went over to his house last night (lives about a mile from me) He and a "friend" tore the engine completley apart. I checked a few things and other than a basic hone job, there is NOTHING wrong with any of the parts he has! Bearings looked good, ring gap was ok, good balance job on the bottom end, crank looked good, nothing worth taking apart as I tood him several times over the past year. Other than weak spring pressure which he could have fixed on the car as I told him, everything was ok. I told him not to mess with it, buy a good carb and headers and learn how to tune an engine not just dump money into and throw parts into it that would help, but now I'm sure he will be on here asking everyone for help and ideas. He has enough to go deep into the 11's if not the 10's if he would stop messing with stuff that is ok and fix the known junk parts, (carb, headers) but he doesn't listen! It will cost him a few grand to put it back together right, good hone job, measure everything, professionally assembled and dyno tuned is the only way to do it right, but he wants it done for nothing and done by next week... It's too bad that young people that don't know their *** from a hole in the ground think they know it all even when people try to show them how things work and help them not make the same mistakes as they have made...

Re: Help Me Decide [Re: stevet340] #1368249
01/13/13 01:39 PM
01/13/13 01:39 PM
bean town ....Ca
W
WHITEDART Offline
master
WHITEDART  Offline
master
W

bean town ....Ca
Quote:

Quote:

I just went over to his house last night (lives about a mile from me) He and a "friend" tore the engine completley apart. I checked a few things and other than a basic hone job, there is NOTHING wrong with any of the parts he has! Bearings looked good, ring gap was ok, good balance job on the bottom end, crank looked good, nothing worth taking apart as I tood him several times over the past year. Other than weak spring pressure which he could have fixed on the car as I told him, everything was ok. I told him not to mess with it, buy a good carb and headers and learn how to tune an engine not just dump money into and throw parts into it that would help, but now I'm sure he will be on here asking everyone for help and ideas. He has enough to go deep into the 11's if not the 10's if he would stop messing with stuff that is ok and fix the known junk parts, (carb, headers) but he doesn't listen! It will cost him a few grand to put it back together right, good hone job, measure everything, professionally assembled and dyno tuned is the only way to do it right, but he wants it done for nothing and done by next week... It's too bad that young people that don't know their *** from a hole in the ground think they know it all even when people try to show them how things work and help them not make the same mistakes as they have made...

please do not kill this kids spirit help him with his ideas .. this is what happened to me win I got start. all the stupid mopar guys at my track would give me ahard time about trying things .. now im faster than all those purple shaft carter carb dana 60 big block dusty old men that never left the 60"s and people wonder why there isn't many young people racing mopars.. this bad attitude is why.. Bet you been racing for 30 years and still stuck in the 11's

In the 8s N/A.with Brett miller W8's
5.07 at 133 at 2700lb
Re: Help Me Decide [Re: WHITEDART] #1368250
01/13/13 01:45 PM
01/13/13 01:45 PM
Central New York
slippery440 Offline
Crybaby440
slippery440  Offline
Crybaby440

Central New York
This needs to be on face book not race forums.

If the MODS did their job I would not be hitting the notify MOD button. LOL
Re: Help Me Decide [Re: slippery440] #1368251
01/13/13 04:36 PM
01/13/13 04:36 PM
western PA
S
Sb Valiant Offline OP
enthusiast
Sb Valiant  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

western PA
I am glad you said facebook because I have pictures all over facebook of our parts including the bearings! I've already had a few people comment. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/brock.spangler.50 The bearing that stevet340 looked at was our best bearing on number 1 cylinder and it was in ok condition and could have been ran for another season. For the rest of them time would have telled...

Re: Help Me Decide [Re: stevet340] #1368252
01/13/13 04:37 PM
01/13/13 04:37 PM
MIKES_DUSTER Offline
master
MIKES_DUSTER  Offline
master

Quote:

Quote:

I just went over to his house last night (lives about a mile from me) He and a "friend" tore the engine completley apart. I checked a few things and other than basic hone job, there is NOTHING wrong with any of the parts he has! Bearings looked good, ring gap was ok, good balance job on the bottom end, crank looked good, nothing worth taking apart as I tood him several times over the past year. Other than weak spring pressure which he could have fixed on the car as I told him, everything was ok. I told him not to mess with it, buy a good carb and headers and learn how to tune an engine not just dump money into and throw parts into it that would help, but now I'm sure he will be on here asking everyone for help and ideas. He has enough to go deep into the 11's if not the 10's if he would stop messing with stuff that is ok and fix the known junk parts, (carb, headers) but he doesn't listen! It will cost him a few grand to put it back together right, good hone job, measure everything, professionally assembled and dyno tuned is the only way to do it right, but he wants it done for nothing and done by next week... It's too bad that young people that don't know their *** from a hole in the ground think they know it all even when people try to show them how things work and help them not make the same mistakes as they have made...

Hey Steve,

I'm only going by what HE told me and not what I seen like you. I've been telling him for a yr to do small things and tune/race it and then repeat that till it runs CONSISTENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe since you live close by,you can try and help him out some and point him in the right direction.
I told him yesterday that he NEEDS a good builder/ mechanic to help him out but he says he has someone .

Re: Help Me Decide [Re: MIKES_DUSTER] #1368253
01/17/13 10:41 PM
01/17/13 10:41 PM
Yes
S
sixpakdodge Offline
master
sixpakdodge  Offline
master
S

Yes
I am sorry, but I have to second what stevet340 said. I know the kid too. He's been doing this for a few years in this area. Asks your opinion, tells you how ten other people would do it, and then tells you how he's gonna do it. (Which is usually a combination of all of the above.)

I've known people who have tried to help him as well, he still did things how he wanted to. It also doesn't help that he will come up to you and criticize how your car(s), and other people's cars run also...

Re: Help Me Decide [Re: sixpakdodge] #1368254
01/17/13 11:33 PM
01/17/13 11:33 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Between Moparts and Facebook I tried to point Brock in the right direction several times. Brock is a little "hardheaded" and want to run a cam WAY to big, use cheap azz rods, and shift it at 7500+ instead of the parts saving 6400-6600. My car weights a hair more than his does and ran a 10.14 last year with a 520 lift cam (550 with 1.6 rocker) 750 holley, shifting at 6400 on 93 octaine gas, way over geared with a 4:88, and a powerglide that I know is costing me .25-.30 in the quarter-mile. He would rather listen to 30 different people so I wished him the best of luck.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time