Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 179 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 178 179
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: SG duster] #1353546
02/03/13 12:21 PM
02/03/13 12:21 PM
Spahn Ranch
RMCHRGR Offline
top fuel
RMCHRGR  Offline
top fuel

Spahn Ranch
Quote:

Quote:

In talking about brakes,

Brakes?? you wanna take some weight out with brakes? try a full 50lbs over stock right here, plus QA 1 bottom arms and strut bars and dillenger tie rods

Not trying to be argumentative but you might be missing the subtlety of the ideas here. This is not about ordering parts from a catalog but rather thinking of ways to engineer a total package within a narrowly focused way of thinking. Such dedication requires strict adherence to an idea along with true vision.

Agreed, 99.9% of the people doing these type of modifications to a car would probably do what you did and order up some lightweight parts, me included. It's 2013, who thinks to CREATE NEW aluminum drum hubs for a '65 Dodge? That's not something you see every day. Again, executing something like that takes dedication to a singular idea.

This is the essence of hot rodding, trying to improve on a platform with new and unexpected ideas.

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: RMCHRGR] #1353547
02/03/13 01:45 PM
02/03/13 01:45 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Gee, couldn't have expressed it better myself.
I've found that the convenience of catalogs has lead to the loss of Hot Rodding to some degree. I have myself indulged in catalogs for certain things as well, but if I had any slight hint that I could make it in a safe and responsible way or twist some ones arm to do it, I'd do it in a heart beat. Like said above, this is not to start a heated rant, but to simply tinker with the ideas that can make all of this fun again like it used to be.
Believe you me, some that choose anonymity here have told me of some ideas and choose to not be the token looney target like I have in some circles. LOL.
When I started my lightweight plans back in 1989 and one or two local GM boys got a fluke of what they thought was going on, they laughed and laughed with caution. Now they wait on line to get a call back from me to lighten their cars in a stealthy way. I just do not have the time and they don't love it enough to justify the effort.

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 02/03/13 11:08 PM.
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #1353548
02/03/13 03:27 PM
02/03/13 03:27 PM
New Zealand
nz383man Offline
mopar
nz383man  Offline
mopar

New Zealand
I hear what you say about being a "token looney", I am probably New Zealand's "token looney" by building such things as annular boosters for Carter AVS carbs & a dual Dizzy for my Pro Stock Hemi (and other similar projects) rather than buying these parts.

Back on subject, are you using alloy/light weight wheel nuts?

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #1353549
02/03/13 05:10 PM
02/03/13 05:10 PM
Washington State, USA
W
Winchester 73 Offline
Winchester 73  Offline
W

Washington State, USA
Quote:

Just received this little gem from the milling machine desk of Doctor Diff. We schemed on this idea for a minute with the emphasis of ridding some rotational weight off the front hub assemblies and still retaining the original drums. I opted for the 3" studs instead of 2" studs as to not get the Tech police on my case. I have not signed the non-weight proliferation act.
The stock steel hub with 3" studs, both front and rear races installed with NO front and rear bearings weighed in at 6-1/4 Lbs.
The beefy forged Aluminum prototypes with 3" studs, both front and rear races installed and NO bearings weighed in at 3-1/2 Lbs. Saves 2-3/4 Lbs on each side. Keep in mind though, that this weight savings is not on the outer reaches of this rotating mass, but still a reduction. These are the first pairs produced and Doctor Diff suggested to me a shrink Doctor. LOL.

id like to see you build a F.A.S.T. car

or does it not pay as well as what you are doing now

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: nz383man] #1353550
02/03/13 10:55 PM
02/03/13 10:55 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

You mean these? Well...................
Yeah, keep up the madness. Carter's? man....Makes for good Hot Rodding.

7574126-n500hfsh_t.jpg (274 downloads)
Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 02/03/13 11:13 PM.
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: Winchester 73] #1353551
02/03/13 11:02 PM
02/03/13 11:02 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Man, If I had the time and duckets to build one, there would be a revolution. Though I might say, I have traded a few ideas with those cats and they have surprised me on occasion and I as well returned the favor to them. They are a savvy bunch of Alley cats.

One Pontiac Gent has Carbon fiber Formula 1 disc rotors behind the rally wheel. With that kind of commitment and budget, I would not be surprised if the rally wheels were Magnesium. I would!

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: RMCHRGR] #1353552
02/04/13 02:39 AM
02/04/13 02:39 AM
Hinterland SE Qld Aust
S
SG duster Offline
mopar
SG duster  Offline
mopar
S

Hinterland SE Qld Aust
RMCHRGR, I agree with you notion of hot rodding and do it yourselfisum but for me Im in an industry that allows me no machine shop access I work in civil concruction in outback Queensland, away from home for 21 days at a time, I fly out to work and fly home for 6 days then Im gone again. in that time my wife and children get my full attention. for me I just buy pre-made enginuity for my hobby, no time to create it. however I do admire your dedication to this but you & I will never be able to create superior front end components to this level or quality by doing it yourself, some things in this hobby just have to be brought out of a catalog.

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: SG duster] #1353553
02/04/13 12:16 PM
02/04/13 12:16 PM
Spahn Ranch
RMCHRGR Offline
top fuel
RMCHRGR  Offline
top fuel

Spahn Ranch
Quote:

RMCHRGR, I agree with you notion of hot rodding and do it yourselfisum but for me Im in an industry that allows me no machine shop access I work in civil concruction in outback Queensland, away from home for 21 days at a time, I fly out to work and fly home for 6 days then Im gone again. in that time my wife and children get my full attention. for me I just buy pre-made enginuity for my hobby, no time to create it. however I do admire your dedication to this but you & I will never be able to create superior front end components to this level or quality by doing it yourself, some things in this hobby just have to be brought out of a catalog.

Again, was not trying to be argumentative, diminish anyone's efforts or say that buying parts from a catalog is wrong. I was compelled to reply because I did not want the subtlety of the ideas presented here to be glossed over.

I definitely do not agree with your statement that "you & I will never be able to create superior front end components to this level or quality by doing it yourself". Though I don't really know him or can speak for him, I don't believe that FMJ is a wealthy guy who just writes checks for stuff. What he and the others have though is a willingness to go the extra mile. Of course the aluminum hubs took XX dollars to produce but was it money spent on the latest bling item or something he thought would fit into his overall vision? I mean really, if what you say is true, there would be no hot rodding!

This particular thread has shown us things that many have not even conceived of let alone executed but can be done with enough dedication and drive to see them through. What Lee in particular is doing is kind of extraordinary in that he is so focused on a single idea. I mean come on, that aluminum brake pedal bracket was really cool.

The whole idea is to think of places and parts that can be breathed on, improved or removed altogether in the name of reducing weight which ultimately translates to better performance. One can make arguments for or against anything here but then the point is lost.

Though I have not gone to the great lengths as some of the guys here have, I try to implement a weight reduction program on my own car while attempting to maintain the 'factory' outward appearance; radio and heater removal using correct delete plates, retaining the small bolt pattern while using lightweight aluminum calipers (from a catalog!) etc. Finding some of that stuff was no small task. I could have just left the holes in the dash but that's lazy. It also announces your intentions to everyone.

For me it's all about pure essence but not in absolute black and white terms. I personally gravitate towards things that may not be what they appear at a causal glance and perhaps have an underlying sinister nature.

In regards to personal situations - I live in the greater NYC area, have a wife and two small kids, a house, friends, other interests, etc. It's lucky I have time to breathe, god forbid I spend time on my hobby. Everyone has their own cross to bear, their own discretionary income and whatever reasons they have for doing or not doing. If buying stuff from a catalog works for you, that's good!

To reiterate, I am trying to point out the difference between critical thinking and 'just getting it done'. Ordering parts from a catalog basically requires no critical thought, it's been done for you. There always seems to be a shortage of critical thinking in this world so I try to appreciate it when I see it.

Whew, stepping off soap box now, sorry to derail this thread. Carry on.

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: RMCHRGR] #1353554
02/04/13 04:05 PM
02/04/13 04:05 PM
New Zealand
nz383man Offline
mopar
nz383man  Offline
mopar

New Zealand

I know full well that some people are not in the position to build some or any of the parts shown on this thread but they are the people that should be the most greatful to the people that can. History has shown many times that the large companies often replicate parts racers have built at home using very limited equipment, if it wasn't for the little guy where would the parts builders get their ideas from?

I'm quite sure this thread has set quite a few wheels in motion & has inspired people all over the world, long may it continue.

Anyone who thinks they don't have the equipment to do much of this should watch the movie "Worlds Fastest Indian" Burt Munroe built his Indian with second hand files, hacksaws, a home made furnace & an old lathe that most machinists would run a mile from, no CNC machines in those days. I may be slightly biased as I'm writing this from Burts mome town of Invercargill but this thread gives me inspiration, just like Burt's movie did.

Keep up the good work.

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: nz383man] #1353555
02/04/13 04:55 PM
02/04/13 04:55 PM
Hinterland SE Qld Aust
S
SG duster Offline
mopar
SG duster  Offline
mopar
S

Hinterland SE Qld Aust
a A couple of years ago I crafted up a thick wall chrome moly tube steering column, some where in my photo libary I have a photo of it finihsd but for now heres how I went about it, the factory dash has long gone too with too, I didnt weigh the factory column or this one but its a saving all the same.

Im not disagreeing with anyone but me or anyone in Australia can't make brakes like areospace components, out of a catalog or not inovation is the name of the game.

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: SG duster] #1353556
02/04/13 08:49 PM
02/04/13 08:49 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Well, if I may add. The one thing that will come from this is that where ever it may be on the globe, there comes a determination when the stakes get high and there is no limitations within reason that can't be achieved or at least explored.
I think that everyone here and beyond in taking a peek into the skeletal doings of these cars will only create a swarm of inspiration in the right direction, and that direction will be the love of Hot Rodding as we knew it on or off the books.
Some will choose the flick of a catalog (and again, I have also) and some will just go at it unilaterally different. Now that Thumperdart has released this thread to the world, I felt to release my skunkworks of the craft to a great crowd like you all.

Case in point was my Hood scoop. After reading how special and rare those 2% and Altered wheel base cars were and wanting to mirror them in this generation with a street version, I went to a catalog trying to find such a scoop. When I could not find a regular A990 scoop that could be made and delivered in my life time, I went at it with a piece of discarded aluminum sheet, plywood, hammers and a friend willing to weld. In doing so, I opted for the higher 65'AFX type scoop on the car now for more air intake and that FX Nostalgic look. I was so proud of the thing, I took it to my bed side after being finished because I could not believe that it was real. LOL.

I know Doctor Diff fairly well since we talk every now and then on ideas at the Nationals and he made my Slightly lightweight Dana 60 (more on it later) so I think he had just as much fun in doing these hubs.
But, will he built others? I'm not sure.
Will people think it's worth it? I don't know, but for sure the hubs were affordably lightweight on the wallet being the first prototypes and they both saved 6+ Lbs on an already lightweight system. Ironically, the idea was spawned in my head from looking at catalogs that catered only to Disc brake assemblies in this current climate where Drums are faded to memory. I was this close to ordering but that bulb lit up in contrast to logic.
When it comes to money, I hold on to my $$ just as anyone here since it's rather tight at times and believe you me, there have been times where the rent money was spent on materials to make something or another. Just ask all my X-Girl friends. LOL
In the case of car crafting here in New York, both now and back in the day, but mostly back in the day, your game had to be on kill in order to survive the ruthless nature of competition. While most went to fat durations and rev limitless motors and or nitrous I went the other way in keeping it simple and fun. I may have not won every race on the clock, but I've won my fair share off the clock and with nothing more than a weightless whisper.
Like the saying goes "Necessity is the Mother of invention"

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 02/05/13 01:09 PM.
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: 1Fast340] #1353557
02/06/13 09:09 PM
02/06/13 09:09 PM
Hinterland SE Qld Aust
S
SG duster Offline
mopar
SG duster  Offline
mopar
S

Hinterland SE Qld Aust
Quote:

have you removed everything related to the hoodlatch? i can honestly say that i dont have a clue how much wheight

the hood latch, vertical support and the horizontal steel support brace that goes across the front of the car is 4lb on a 70 duster

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #1353558
02/06/13 09:51 PM
02/06/13 09:51 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Figuring that most early B-body inner door panels are made of a steel upper sill panel stapled to a cheap lower cardboard stock wrapped in interior vinyl material, I found that these along with the inner quarter panels, armrests, hardware were sought of heavy and warped as usual. 14-1/2 Lbs all together.
I created what you see below out of very thin aluminum sheet for the time being. the main panels are a little rough, but as I said, it's for the time being as I will be getting a lighter cardboard stock to wrap with the original style A990 pattern.
The upper sill panel with the glass felt strip or fuzzies in place are also aluminum. Right now these including the inner quarter panel covers and no armrests weigh 5-1/2 Lbs.
Saved 9 Lbs total.
I left the rear inner quarter sill panels steel since they are both a little more difficult to make and are in the area past the center of gravity. This can be applied to a number of body styles, just study your pedigree.

7578120-IMG_0465.JPG (318 downloads)
Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 02/06/13 10:07 PM.
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #1353559
02/09/13 12:44 PM
02/09/13 12:44 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

As before, when I tried in vain to acquire a beautifully handcrafted aluminum bumper from a source in the game and could not get a fair pulse to justify me laying down my hard earned money, I went at it with my own hammer, anvil and welder in hand to built what you see below.
The original steel factory bumper weighed in at about 27-1/2 Lbs. This one is of thin gauge stainless steel center section couple to the wrap around ends of the factory steel bumper which received a fair share of grinding on the back to make it thin gauge. It now weighs in at 12-1/2 Lbs. not counting the hardware and lightweight brackets.

7581357-IMG_0518.JPG (333 downloads)
Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 02/18/13 07:53 PM.
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #1353560
02/09/13 12:52 PM
02/09/13 12:52 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Here are the lightweight attaching brackets with lightweight bolts.
The brackets were hand formed from flat stock 3003 aluminum which can be formed rather easy.

7581372-IMG_0480.jpg (323 downloads)
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #1353561
02/09/13 03:09 PM
02/09/13 03:09 PM
Stockholm, Sweden
fed Offline
mopar
fed  Offline
mopar

Stockholm, Sweden
Quote:

Here are the lightweight attaching brackets with lightweight bolts.
The brackets were hand formed from flat stock 3003 aluminum which can be formed rather easy.

I see some bolts to be shortened!

Cuda, -70
Valiant-65 AWB,
Valiant Signet200 -65 Topchopped dragcar.
Topolino Fuel Altered.
NostalgiaFED Sold,
SuperComp Bantam Altered, Sold
Ex Harlan Thompsons Nitro funny car American Graffiti Sold,
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fed] #1353562
02/09/13 08:49 PM
02/09/13 08:49 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

LOL.

Trust me, any little taken off those bolts would amount to a pigeons feather. They are light indeed.

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #1353563
02/09/13 10:05 PM
02/09/13 10:05 PM
corpus christi tex
C
Cheatham Offline
mopar
Cheatham  Offline
mopar
C

corpus christi tex
My next front end diet will be to replace the tie rod ends and tube with an aluminum tube and heim ends from speedway motors for less than 100.00 and with the heim ens instead of tie rods i can shim the heim ends to help reduce bump steer from front end rising on launch.

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: Cab_Burge] #1353564
02/10/13 04:16 AM
02/10/13 04:16 AM
West Coast
T
The Driver Offline
The Driver  Offline
T

West Coast
There is a Black Primer Nova waiting for you if you want sum?
Track only! Street Racing is Illegal.
Motor on motor?

Aka: Albergetty
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: The Driver] #1353565
02/10/13 01:12 PM
02/10/13 01:12 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline OP
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

There is a Black Primer Nova waiting for you if you want sum?
Track only! Street Racing is Illegal.
Motor on motor?

R U refering to me?

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Page 19 of 179 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 178 179