B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Fellas -

So, I need to plug a water pump outlet (for heater hose) in an aluminum water pump. Tapping holes is not something that I do on a regular basis, but I'll bet some of y'all do so I'm asking the experts.

Anyway, the outlet has an ID of .640 and an ID of .880. I'd like to tap it and plug it off with a threaded plug (allen wrench head). I have some plugs and it feels like I could thread one in that's just a tad larger than the ID, but not sure this will be tight enough.

I also have a set of taps and dies, but these are SAE taps (coarse and fine thread). I know that I can use an SAE tap and then thread a bolt inside, but this will look half @$$ed. Can I use an SAE tap and thread a plug into it? Plugs will have NPT threads, right? Just don't know if there is a difference.

Sorry for the 20 questions, but I don't want to mangle this.

Thanks,

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: bulletpruf] #1353050
12/17/12 03:32 PM
12/17/12 03:32 PM
Holly/MI
D
Dean_Kuzluzski Offline
master
Dean_Kuzluzski  Offline
master
D

Holly/MI
NPT is a tapered pipe thread for sealing.

Your stuff is for straight thread.

A GOOD local harware store will have the tap you're looking for.

Bring in a sample to match it up.

R.I.P.- Gary "Coop" Davis 02/09/68-05/13/04
Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: Dean_Kuzluzski] #1353051
12/17/12 04:09 PM
12/17/12 04:09 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
I'd be wary of plugging it with a plug that fits like a grub screw. Stuffing one of those brass fittings in an aluminum housing rarely ends well. If there's any corrosion you will end up stripping the wrench hole out of that soft brass.
I'd use a plug with a regular bolt style hex head.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: feets] #1353052
12/17/12 04:45 PM
12/17/12 04:45 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Quote:

I'd be wary of plugging it with a plug that fits like a grub screw. Stuffing one of those brass fittings in an aluminum housing rarely ends well. If there's any corrosion you will end up stripping the wrench hole out of that soft brass.
I'd use a plug with a regular bolt style hex head.

Ok, I guess that begs the question - should I use a brass or steel plug?

Thanks,

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: bulletpruf] #1353053
12/17/12 04:46 PM
12/17/12 04:46 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
It's NPT tapped hole , you can purchase an NPT plug with an Allen recess in it , go to your local Vatozone , Advance auto or the like and check the fashion performance aisle

Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: bulletpruf] #1353054
12/17/12 04:47 PM
12/17/12 04:47 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
You're talking about internaly plugging an aluminum male heater hose nipple? Yes you'd want to NPT tap it if you do & not sure if there's enough wall thickness to work with (there might be just never looked at it that way). Much easier would be to get a black neoprene end cap from the HELP section at your parts store along with some gasket cement and a hose clamp. You could paint it engine color to try & hide your handiwork. Functionally it'd be fine

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: JohnRR] #1353055
12/17/12 05:21 PM
12/17/12 05:21 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Quote:

It's NPT tapped hole , you can purchase an NPT plug with an Allen recess in it , go to your local Vatozone , Advance auto or the like and check the fashion performance aisle

I know where to get NPT plugs, but are you saying that I should just thread it in without tapping it first?

Scott

Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: RapidRobert] #1353056
12/17/12 05:26 PM
12/17/12 05:26 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Quote:

You're talking about internaly plugging an aluminum male heater hose nipple? Yes you'd want to NPT tap it if you do & not sure if there's enough wall thickness to work with (there might be just never looked at it that way). Much easier would be to get a black neoprene end cap from the HELP section at your parts store along with some gasket cement and a hose clamp. You could paint it engine color to try & hide your handiwork. Functionally it'd be fine

OD is .880 and ID is .640, so I have .240 thick wall to work with.

I'm familiar with the hose clamp/rubber plug deal, but this is going on a road racer, and if I spill water on a track (and under my rear wheels), I might end up meeting Mr. Concrete Barrier. So, I want something more permanent. I may put an NPT plug + rubber plug and hose clamp, just to be safe.

Thanks

Scott

Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: bulletpruf] #1353057
12/17/12 05:29 PM
12/17/12 05:29 PM
Northeast
V
VincentVega Offline
super stock
VincentVega  Offline
super stock
V

Northeast
you have .120 wall thick to work with

Looking for 1975 through 1978 B body 4 door sedan sheet metal or parts cars - monaco, fury, coronet. Please let me know
Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: VincentVega] #1353058
12/17/12 06:00 PM
12/17/12 06:00 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Quote:

you have .120 wall thick to work with

Oops, I forgot to divide by 2.

thanks

Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: bulletpruf] #1353059
12/17/12 06:54 PM
12/17/12 06:54 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

I know where to get NPT plugs, but are you saying that I should just thread it in without tapping it first?

Scott

if it is a tapped hole already , which it should be , why would you feel the need to tap it ??? NPT is a TAPERED thread as stated above so you will see 2 different sizes in the hole ...

Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: JohnRR] #1353060
12/17/12 07:21 PM
12/17/12 07:21 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

if it is a tapped hole already , which it should be , why would you feel the need to tap it ??? NPT is a TAPERED thread as stated above so you will see 2 different sizes in the hole ...

No, it's not tapped already.

Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: bulletpruf] #1353061
12/17/12 07:26 PM
12/17/12 07:26 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

Ok I'll ask the REALLY DUMB question , WHAT is this pump for ???

If it's not tapped and you want to tap it with SAE you can BUT you need to drill the taper out of the hole to the proper size for the thread you want to make it or you risk breaking the tap, or the casting , or both.

Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: JohnRR] #1353062
12/17/12 11:32 PM
12/17/12 11:32 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

Ok I'll ask the REALLY DUMB question , WHAT is this pump for ???

If it's not tapped and you want to tap it with SAE you can BUT you need to drill the taper out of the hole to the proper size for the thread you want to make it or you risk breaking the tap, or the casting , or both.

It's a heater hose nipple on an aluminum water pump mounted on a 500 hp 401 AMC in a 71 Javelin street/road race car.

Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: bulletpruf] #1353063
12/17/12 11:55 PM
12/17/12 11:55 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Originally a press in heater nipple I guess. Some Ford pumps are like that. Sounds like you need the smallest pipe plug tap (tapered NPT) that will cut threads plus the pipe plug of your choice. Drill out only if needed. As several have stated, a good hardware store will have the taps, home improvement stores have the smaller sizes as well.

HF (gasp!) has pipe tap sets with sizes 1/4" up to 1 1/4". I have one and for my occasional light use it is fine. I actually needed the 1 1/4" and nobody else in town had it. The taps should indicate proper drill size if needed. Cost is reasonable.

Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: bulletpruf] #1353064
12/18/12 03:48 AM
12/18/12 03:48 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I would tap it for the next size up from what you have to National Pipe Thread and use a aluminum anadised allen head NPT plug, Summit carrys them

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1353065
12/18/12 12:00 PM
12/18/12 12:00 PM
Franklin Co. Illinois
runinonmt Offline
mopar
runinonmt  Offline
mopar

Franklin Co. Illinois
Now we have a grasp of what you need. If you're doing track days security is your concern. Ream(not absolutely necessary but I recommend it) then Tap the nipple NPT and use a tapered pipe plug with pipe dope(hardware item). Personally, I would cut the nipple close to the water pump before I tapped it. If you're lucky the local hardware will loan the tap and reamer to you. If not check with a machine shop. I believe you will need to tap it 1/2" NPT,3/8 is likely too small. Your hardware will have a plug in the material of your choosing. I recommend brass.
Ron

In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up one-o-one I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on Jackson Browne-Running On Empty
Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: runinonmt] #1353066
12/22/12 05:50 PM
12/22/12 05:50 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Quote:

Now we have a grasp of what you need. If you're doing track days security is your concern. Ream(not absolutely necessary but I recommend it) then Tap the nipple NPT and use a tapered pipe plug with pipe dope(hardware item). Personally, I would cut the nipple close to the water pump before I tapped it. If you're lucky the local hardware will loan the tap and reamer to you. If not check with a machine shop. I believe you will need to tap it 1/2" NPT,3/8 is likely too small. Your hardware will have a plug in the material of your choosing. I recommend brass.
Ron

That's pretty much what I did. I didn't ream it. Got a 3/8" NPT tap and a brass 3/8" NPT plug. Used some Gasoila sealant.

Before picture of what I was plugging.

During.

Then I used a shop vac to clean out the debris and ended up with this.

Hole plugged.

Then I used one of these.

And ended up with this.

And a little closer to being finished with this.

Thanks for all the input.

Scott

Re: Plugging a Hole - SAE, NPT, WTH? [Re: bulletpruf] #1353067
12/23/12 11:33 AM
12/23/12 11:33 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Online content
I Live Here
6PakBee  Online Content
I Live Here

North Dakota
I'm curious, why did you feel it necessary to put the rubber cap over the plug. And that looks suspiciously like an AMC. 401?

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".