Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Just be warned that as soon as you win money, you have became a business. Then you are commercial. It doesn't matter if you spent $50k on the car, and you won $100, you generated income.

Sooooo, when you get pulled over, and the cop asks if you won any money, tell them no!

Not looking to offend anyone here, but this statement seems to be the general consensus in our racing comunity. Can anyone show me the federal regulation that backs this up? Just winning money, and only winning money, doesn’t mean you are commerce.

no you are commercial if you make any money.

You are only testing, not racing and winning money.
I pulled a huge toterhome and 49' trailer for 125K miles in about 40 states with my race equippment and have never been pulled over.

Niether my truck or trailer is lettered with anything except top alcohol dragster for track indentification(when the trailer is stiting at the track).

If your RV has moterhome plates then you will never need a CDL license. My RV hAS a 36K weight rating and I don't need a CDL even though I have had one since the law went into effect.

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: bigtimeauto] #1340536
11/26/12 04:43 PM
11/26/12 04:43 PM
Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
Quote:

In pa you can get a class A NON CDL for pulling your personal trailer.

Same in Texas. BUT You have to know what extra paperwork to fill out and they will tell you flat out, Outside of Texas your own your own if you get pulled over for a CDL violation.

There is a Difference between a CDL Class A and a Plain Ole Class-A it's even stated as such in the Federal DOT Rules which is what all states have to follow at a minimum.

Most just over look it and give you a CDL as a Class A and be done with it. Laziness on the States Behalf.

IIRC: Farmers have the 150mile radius law that protects them.

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: DakFink] #1340537
11/26/12 04:49 PM
11/26/12 04:49 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Same in Texas. BUT You have to know what extra paperwork to fill out and they will tell you flat out, Outside of Texas your own your own if you get pulled over for a CDL violation.

There is a Difference between a CDL Class A and a Plain Ole Class-A it's even stated as such in the Federal DOT Rules which is what all states have to follow at a minimum.

Most just over look it and give you a CDL as a Class A and be done with it. Laziness on the States Behalf.

Farmers do have a max distance... its either 100 miles
or 150... my up north place WAS registered as a farm
but is no longer.. but at least I have my equipment
registered as farm before it changed

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: Blusmbl] #1340538
11/26/12 06:40 PM
11/26/12 06:40 PM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
Quote:

It reads as an "and" statement, not an "or" statement.

You have to be engaging in inter/intrastate commerce AND operating a vehicle that fits the CDL requirements. If you are not engaging in interstate commerce, you are not subject to CDL rules regardless of vehicle weight. A good example is the RV mentioned above, many RV's are over 26001 GVWR, but just the act of driving an RV for pleasure does not require a CDL in 46 of 50 states, regardless of the weight of an RV. It can even have air brakes, you are not driving commercially so a CDL is not required in most states.

Additional info:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

Note that only 4 states total require you to have a CDL when driving an RV, and only for >26k and/or longer than 45'. Every other state does not require a CDL regardless of weight.

Also, if you are engaging in interstate commerce, if the vehicle is below the requirements listed in the chart, you do not need a CDL either.

Edit: where you can get held up is if the officer interprets bracket racing with a payout as "engaging in intrastate commerce". Then you're stuck paying the fine unless you take the ticket to court.

I know of several guys that race NHRA divisionals, their large toterhomes are registered as RV's and they have never had issues with police.

If you are over weight 26001 # or more you will have a C D L!!!
just because so n so doesn't have it does not mean nothing!!
There are just a few states that have variances for non C D L but must have enhanced
license upgrades!
But Once you operate as a business such as drag racing,, you are running a business and make that vehicle tax deducted for such then you are a commercial business and must be registered as such!!
So , if the weight does not get you then the business side applies , either way CDL required!!
And just because so n so get by does not make it legal!!
Here in Illinois, it is weight and the tax deduction of the racing operation!
The weight is not the plate that you have on the truck and trailer,, it is the GVWR of truck and trailer!!
thus brings to light a whole new set of laws and rules to follow,, truck inspections and trailer inspections!!!oo and medical clearance!!
"D" plates requires to pull just about any enclosed trailer over 28' with a duelly truck ext cab "B" plates will not work
Also take note , the State Police can enforce any rule of law they so choose, but the Secretary State Police when they see issues of wrong plate on wrong vehicles will be the most likely to enforce infractions of registrations!!
Just because the State issues such plate or license does not mean it is legal to run it illegal!

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1340539
11/26/12 06:52 PM
11/26/12 06:52 PM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Farmers do have a max distance... its either 100 miles
or 150... my up north place WAS registered as a farm
but is no longer.. but at least I have my equipment
registered as farm before it changed

Farmers are excempt up to 150 miles but can not cross state lines with out IFTA sticker!!!
The states will license you how ever 'you want to be' but in doing so you take the risk knowing full ware what the conseqences are !!
You can put RV plates on your pick up truck, but if you do not have the required componets it is illegal!
I have seen trucks with dealer plates on pulling trailers too,, That can cost you the plates and a very huge fine!!
seams every one wants to get by on the 'cheap ' side the cost of liability god forbid a fatality accident could cost you everything you have and then some!!

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: dennismopar73] #1340540
11/26/12 06:53 PM
11/26/12 06:53 PM
Chowchilla,ca
Chassisman Offline
master
Chassisman  Offline
master

Chowchilla,ca
Here's my trailer.... 53' 18,000 lbs GVWR ....truck is 8,900 GVWR....

Here's the OFFICIAL response in Califronia from my CHP DOT buddy....

The trailer will require a Class A license, regardless of what you use to pull it... but otherwise nothing special should be needed. It looks pretty impressive...

And here's another he sent me....

You need a Class A, because they GVW is more than 10,000 pds. As a result, you will need an up to date medical card as well for your Class A to be valid. If it's "not" for hire, then you do "not" need a CA #, and I would put "Not for hire" on the side. On a side note, insurance gets tricky with combinations that size, and I would highly encourage you to have at least a million dollar umbrella coverage on the entire unit. I can mail you documentation explaining it all if you want, or maybe even have a DOT officer swing by your place if you want confirmation.

It measured out to be 67.5 ft overall length...in Calif that means I'm 2.5 ft too long....but they inspected stickered it anyways so I'm good to go....

And yes....had to get the 1 million dollar policy to cover it.....

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: Chassisman] #1340541
11/26/12 10:04 PM
11/26/12 10:04 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline OP
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline OP
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
The point of the picture post was to have at very least some idea what is and isn't

States vary from place to place ..a lot !

The kicker is, even IF you are legal , you may run into a LEO that does not read the rules as such .

Couple things can happen, they can delay you on the side of the road for ??

They can ticket you and demand you get legal and or move it to storage until you / it is .

Regarless it could mean you are out of pocket clearing the incident up

You can poll 100 LEO's and get 99 different answers

States want and need to generate revenue, and most times you are seen as a source of possible infractions

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: bigdad] #1340542
11/26/12 10:16 PM
11/26/12 10:16 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Thats what pisses me off... this is FEDERAL but yet
each state has their version... I am legal here in
Mich but I have no idea about other states,so far
I havent had any problems in Mich, Indiana or Ohio

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: bigdad] #1340543
11/26/12 10:36 PM
11/26/12 10:36 PM
Chowchilla,ca
Chassisman Offline
master
Chassisman  Offline
master

Chowchilla,ca
Quote:

The point of the picture post was to have at very least some idea what is and isn't

The kicker is, even IF you are legal , you may run into a LEO that does not read the rules as such .

They can ticket you and demand you get legal and or move it to storage until you / it is .

States want and need to generate revenue, and most times you are seen as a source of possible infractions

I pulled that thing back from Memphis,Tn...it had WV plates on it.....never got stopped....was a pucker pull for sure.....LOL....I'm trying to get my ducks in a row as in 2013 we'll be racing 32 weekends in 10 different states....

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: bigdad] #1340544
11/26/12 10:39 PM
11/26/12 10:39 PM
Lenox Iowa
M
MMiller Offline
mopar
MMiller  Offline
mopar
M

Lenox Iowa
Quote:

Welcome to the world of truck driving. Been battling it for years. No matter how hard you work, an officer can and will find something wrong(usually an interpertation) and fine you. Almost like we are in a communist country....

93 W250 CTD getrag, Bosch 185 injectors, AFE air filter. Trailer puller, daily driver,

90 W250 CTD 727 with smokin 5" stacks. Off road truck

75 Dodge W200 440 4spd 4x4 locked front and rear, twin disc clutch, E85. Pulling truck
Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1340545
11/26/12 10:43 PM
Fitchburg,Massachusetts
MPerry Offline
Mopahts memba'
MPerry  Offline
Mopahts memba'

Fitchburg,Massachusetts
Quote:

I'm not even close to needing a cdl but some of the towing stories I've heard make me nervous when towing out of state.

I don't know if its true but I was told PA is the worst by more than a few people.

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: Chassisman] #1340546
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline OP
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline OP
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
Yeah, its like pulling a big sign that says

STOP ME !!

You will seldom win an arguement on the side of the road with a law enforcement person

When he stops you, he is already intent on finding where you are breaking the law

Couple others and everyone might know them

make sure you have correct safety chains and they are by law hooked correctly

and make sure you have your break away switch intact and its working (check your battery)

They love to catch on those two items

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: MPerry] #1340547
11/26/12 10:50 PM
11/26/12 10:50 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not even close to needing a cdl but some of the towing stories I've heard make me nervous when towing out of state.

I don't know if its true but I was told PA is the worst by more than a few people.

I have heard PA is bad... thats why I dont go there

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: MMiller] #1340548
11/26/12 11:05 PM
11/26/12 11:05 PM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
Quote:

Welcome to the world of truck driving. Been battling it for years. No matter how hard you work, an officer can and will find something wrong(usually an interpertation) and fine you. Almost like we are in a communist country....

Do you guys have lawyers on retainer for this kind of stuff? We had a rookie cop at a weigh station write up one of our trucks for non-registration and not having apportioned plates, even though we had every last bit of the appropriate permits ($5000 worth) for all of the vehicles in our caravan. The fine was almost $2000, in less than 2 hours after it happened lawyers contacted the weigh station and got the fine waved because of the cop's incorrect interpretation of the law.

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: bigdad] #1340549
11/26/12 11:12 PM
11/26/12 11:12 PM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
Quote:

Yeah, its like pulling a big sign that says

STOP ME !!

You will seldom win an arguement on the side of the road with a law enforcement person

When he stops you, he is already intent on finding where you are breaking the law

Couple others and everyone might know them

make sure you have correct safety chains and they are by law hooked correctly

and make sure you have your break away switch intact and its working (check your battery)

They love to catch on those two items

Being as was one for over 10 years, And then worked in the Safety department of a rather large trucking co for 5 years , some things are just easy to see,, and you don't have to look hard!!
I still got down the road and see stuff that I know is illegal.
You also need to know just how wide of a trailer you can pull down some roads and yes even highways !!
Some you can not be over 98" wide, some are 102!!
So it is really up to the owner of the vehicle to make sure you are in compliance, most 'officials' at your local D M V , have no idea!!
I have a friend who pulls a dually crew cab , with a 28ft trailer, with ; B ' truck plates
he won't change till he gets a ticket!!
My boss now refuses to get his truck inspected even tho the "D" plates regs says he must!!

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1340550
11/26/12 11:13 PM
11/26/12 11:13 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have heard PA is bad... thats why I dont go there

I have trailered in PA many times, just last summer and then many times to Reading. Yup have never been bothered.

I have never been pulled over in any state trailering and have done quite a bit of it.

I used pickup trucks and a toterhome with 26', 40' goose and 49' goose.

I wash my truck and trailer before every trip. Keep up on my maintance and drive a couple miles under the speed limit. If your stuff looks maintained I think it goes a long ways to them leaving you alone.
OT I have/OWN a small fleet of fuel tankers and deal with the federal rules everyday since 1983 and have been through at least 4, 3 day audits of my PUCO records.(driver training, hazmat training, logs, pre trip inspection paper work, and a ton of other record keeping.

I have asked them about race car trailers because mine sit's right outside my office window and they know I'm a racer. They say no lettering and your not speeding they couldn't care less about the weekend racer. Now if your speeding or have questionable dirty equipment then they will look closer at you.

I think it says alot about a driver who keeps his rig spotless and they agree and I know that from talking with these guys for 3 days straight.

If your rig is lettered your commercial, if it's not then you can get by without a CDL because you can say it's recreational, which it is for most of us.

My 36000GVW toterhome was built from the get go as a RV and has motorhome plates which exempts me from any CDL laws in all states or least in the states I have been in which is most of them except the upper western coast.

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: Challenger 1] #1340551
11/26/12 11:20 PM
11/26/12 11:20 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Bob George got nailed in PA a couple years ago... and
he lives there

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1340552
11/26/12 11:31 PM
11/26/12 11:31 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
I remembering reading some of that I think. Didn't he pull into the scales or inspection station looking for trouble? Or maybe not? I'm sure he will set me straight.

I don't want to argue and there is a lot of confusion over the laws, but I'm not lying about anything I said I sure as heck am not scared of pulling a trailer in any state.

Drive the speed limit to begin with if you don't want to be pulled over and have your equipment in order, it's the law.

God I love a sparkling clean rig on the road, it get's my blood flowing and I love the open road.

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: Challenger 1] #1340553
11/26/12 11:48 PM
11/26/12 11:48 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I wash my rig a couple of times a year and I always
clean it before I go out of state

Re: Federal motor carrrier CDL chart [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1340554
11/26/12 11:55 PM
11/26/12 11:55 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Couple times a year? I can say I have washed my whole rig at least 12 times a year because that's how many races we did plus 4 show/sales meetings dates where they used my car for my sponsor, so that's 16 times a year at least. I tried waiting till my help got to the shop to help but they didn't like to help much, so I got used to doing it myself. Keeps me young...I hope.

Then my toterhome sit's outside under tree and I washed the whole thing this past weekend starting with the roof to get all the leaves and tree sap off and I'm not going anywhere any time soon. I've been storing the toterhome outside since new in 2002 and it still looks pretty dang good for 10 years old. I'm not afraid of water and sweat.

It's a piece of cake when all there is a open trailer. It's the last thing I do, wash it and then take a shower and hit the road. It's a routine that I got into 20 years ago before I even had the toterhome.
Wheels get polished a few days ahead of time and not every trip but close.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3