11/20/12 01:16 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Bob,

That's a GREAT point with the Hemis and it really amazes me how much oil (quantity) meters through a motor during a full throttle pass.

The hemi head has (I'm guessing) probably more than twice the oil coated surface area for oil to collect up top and drainback to the sump is far more of an issue, so it's logical that the more oil that is (for want of a better word) "dwelling" on an engine surface and not draining immediately to the pan has to be made up for in the system volume.

It hasn't been mentioned here but Oil flow is also a critical cooling component as it wicks away heat from all of the engine surfaces, and on a drag car the valve springs particularly.

FWIW, Bob's tip of run the HV and an extra quart was the way we used to do it 30+ years ago and I never lost a bottom end to oil related failures, even at 8200 rpm in a W2 340 which was wound pretty tight for a street motor in the late 70's-early 80's. And the front sump design of the Typical A,B, E bodies didn't help things either!

Last edited by Streetwize; 11/20/12 01:22 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: Streetwize] #1337701
11/20/12 01:31 PM
11/20/12 01:31 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Bob,

That's a GREAT point with the Hemis and it really amazes me how much oil (quantity) meters through a motor during a full throttle pass.

The hemi head has (I'm guessing) probably more than twice the oil coated surface area for oil to collect up top and drainback to the sump is far more of an issue, so it's logical that the more oil that is (for want of a better word) "dwelling" on an engine surface and not draining immediately to the pan has to be made up for in the system volume.

It hasn't been mentioned here but Oil flow is also a critical cooling component as it wicks away heat from all of the engine surfaces, and on a drag car the valve springs particularly.

FWIW, Bob's tip of run the HV and an extra quart was the way we used to do it 30+ years ago and I never lost a bottom end to oil related failures, even at 8200 rpm in a W2 340 which was wound pretty tight for a street motor in the late 70's-early 80's. And the front sump design of the Typical A,B, E bodies didn't help things either!

Circulation helps with the cooling also.With a hemi the large area of trapped or retained oil at the top is a critical issue,also the poor drainback design(holes at each corner of the heads)is a concern.On many of our large high hp engines we add two drain back lines per side to help return the oil to the sump.

Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: Streetwize] #1337702
11/20/12 01:46 PM
11/20/12 01:46 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

Bobby in a liquid fluid system a change at any location will be reflected by a change at any other point in the system. though technically liquids are compressible in practice they are considered as incompressible.

if you fail a rod bearing the downstream components will not see less oil unless the overall system pressure drops. as long as the system pressure remains the same then the same amount of oil is being delivered to the undamaged components regardless of their location however the flow through the damaged bearing will increase.

now IF the pump is not capable of maintaining the pressure that existed prior to the failure then the other components may be compromised.

you are correct with regards to gauge port location on SB vs BB. i would expect a SB to show higher gauge pressure because it is right above the pump so to speak. however when we refer to "oil pressure" we don't move the gauge port around we are always reading it from the same location so in this respect it does reflect what is happening in the system.

i fully agree with your ideas about reworking the stock pump and system. in many cases it may be all that's required and is imho the better route if it is sufficient

fluids (like electricity) flow from a point of high potential to a point of low potential.

oil serves three functions, to lubricate, cool and cleanse and engine in that order.

Bob i fully agree that due to the valve gear the hemi would require more oil and would not be surprised that a stock pump is not adequate for high speed operation and improved oiling is necessary

having said that there's absolutely no way you're circulating 30qts of oil through an engine in 10 seconds. the milodon HV pump is rated at approx 20 GPM or 1.33qts per second. the absolute maximum a milodon HV pump could move in 10 seconds is 13.3qts and i highly doubt that is happening

i really wish i was better at explaining this stuff

so often we hear "the HV pump will suck your pan dry" (often referring to the stock style HV pumps)...only if there's some other problem(s) that need to be addressed. oil returns compromised, no windage control, engine clearances too loose. overall the oil NOT being in the pan (where it's supposed to be) for the pump to pick up

if HV pumps were such a detriment to an engine then the really HV pumps such as the milodon, titan etc would be engine destroyers not a component that helps an engine live.

everyone is entitled to their opinion(s) these are mine

Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: Thumperdart] #1337703
11/20/12 03:21 PM
11/20/12 03:21 PM
Ont. Canada
10.90 Racer Offline
super street
10.90 Racer  Offline
super street

Ont. Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

personally i think the HV pump sucking the pan dry is a wives tale.

I will send you my burnt rod.....Was running 9.5 quarts, and starved one rod.

You my friend MAY have other problems..........I run 5w30 Mobile-1 and w/6-quarts in an 8-quart pan and a hv pump I never hurt anything and my bearings looked real good after 7 years of street/strip thrashing...........

^

Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: GTX MATT] #1337704
11/20/12 04:48 PM
11/20/12 04:48 PM
Sweden
Mopar Guy Offline
mopar
Mopar Guy  Offline
mopar

Sweden
I built a 505 stroker and used a roller hydralic cam so my choise whas a stock std volume oilpump and it whas set at 55 psi by Melling.
The resone for my choise whas the fact that i had to use a bronze drive gear for the pump so i whanted to save on the wear of that gear and i have about 30 psi on idel and 50 psi if i rev the engine just a littel =) If i push the engine hard then i lose about 5 psi on idel but thats it and by my book that´s ok so why put a hi volume pump if its not needed !?

Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: Streetwize] #1337705
11/20/12 05:15 PM
11/20/12 05:15 PM
Backwater, PA
B
bwdst6 Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
bwdst6  Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
B

Backwater, PA
Quote:

A competitive AH car will have 3 qt’s of oil in the pan and 2-3 in the sump. Running over 9000rpms driving a very low back work pump with no bypass fed by a single external line.

This post is available in double vision where drunk.
Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: Mopar Guy] #1337706
11/20/12 05:34 PM
11/20/12 05:34 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
It's not any theory of mine,but something that Chrysler engineers had proclaimed and informed racers of years ago that on a adverage 10 second pass at aprox. 8000rpm and to retain enough volume in the sump 10 quarts would need to circulate 3Xs.I've never had any reason to confirm or refute this claim,but had an incident where Mark Davis and I was testing a Milodon dual line system with a drill and 2 five gallon buckets with 8 quarts of oil.While priming the pump up to about 1800rpm,Mark found himself covered in most the 8 quarts before he could face the pump outlet to the second bucket and I could release the drill trigger alot less than 10 seconds.Also keep in mind that at any given rpm that more than 1/2 the sump volume is in the engine not the pan.Also consider the amont of oil in a drysump system that does circulate on even quicker passes.
We need also to consider some adverage bracket engine that have 10quart sumps and 3quart accumulators(13qts)and at the end of the pass when the pressure drops on hard decel and accumulator has to back up the system,where is all that oil.
I'am not going to say my refrence of the claim and findings of Chrysler engineers of 1970s is the final fact,but I'll buy it till someone can prove otherwise.Maybe it's a sales gimmick to get us to buy big pumps,pans and tons of oil.Maybe someone will try the Mark and Bob experiment with a stopwatch and report back to us.

Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: B G Racing] #1337707
11/20/12 06:18 PM
11/20/12 06:18 PM
Ont. Canada
10.90 Racer Offline
super street
10.90 Racer  Offline
super street

Ont. Canada
Quote:

It's not any theory of mine,but something that Chrysler engineers had proclaimed and informed racers of years ago that on a adverage 10 second pass at aprox. 8000rpm and to retain enough volume in the sump 10 quarts would need to circulate 3Xs.I've never had any reason to confirm or refute this claim,but had an incident where Mark Davis and I was testing a Milodon dual line system with a drill and 2 five gallon buckets with 8 quarts of oil.While priming the pump up to about 1800rpm,Mark found himself covered in most the 8 quarts before he could face the pump outlet to the second bucket and I could release the drill trigger alot less than 10 seconds.Also keep in mind that at any given rpm that more than 1/2 the sump volume is in the engine not the pan.Also consider the amont of oil in a drysump system that does circulate on even quicker passes.
We need also to consider some adverage bracket engine that have 10quart sumps and 3quart accumulators(13qts)and at the end of the pass when the pressure drops on hard decel and accumulator has to back up the system,where is all that oil.
I'am not going to say my refrence of the claim and findings of Chrysler engineers of 1970s is the final fact,but I'll buy it till someone can prove otherwise.Maybe it's a sales gimmick to get us to buy big pumps,pans and tons of oil.Maybe someone will try the Mark and Bob experiment with a stopwatch and report back to us.

You have to remember, most of the oil is just pumping against resistance . The amount of oil actually flowing is what all the bleed off clearances in the engine will allow...........

Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: 10.90 Racer] #1337708
11/20/12 07:04 PM
11/20/12 07:04 PM
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

Quote:

You have to remember, most of the oil is just pumping against resistance . The amount of oil actually flowing is what all the bleed off clearances in the engine will allow...........

exactly, and people need to get hold of this fact

the milidon pump (according to them and i think they're actually BB ford rotors) is rated at 19-21 GPM of course this is speed dependent but one would have to think that they rated it at a decent speed

these things determine how much oil is actually FLOWING THROUGH the engine

> oil pressure

> clearances (leaks)

> oil viscosity (temperature impacted)

because oil pumps are positive displacement they MUST have a relief system which is the function of the relief spring and valve. any oil that the pump is moving that is not required to maintain the pressure that the relief valve is set at spills from the discharge directly back into the suction. it is simply pumped in circles, the amount of oil pumped by a PD pump is directly proportional to its speed.

oil pumps, hydraulic pumps, roots and screw type blowers are all examples of a positive displacement pump, for each rotation they move an exact amount of fluid.

i have seen PD hydraulic pump bodies literately split in half when they were not protected by a relief valve and someone started the engine with the pump discharge closed.

water pumps, turbochargers, pro chargers are all examples of centrifugal pumps, these type pumps allow for "slip" meaning you can block the discharge and the pump won't lock it will slip.

because of their design centrifugal pumps/compressors are subject to a phenomenon know as surge and i'm not even going to try to explain that and NPSH here

Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: Cab_Burge] #1337709
11/20/12 11:17 PM
11/20/12 11:17 PM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Quote:

I use the same oil pan I use 5W20WT Valvoline non synthetic, I have to keep the oil level above the add mark at the drag strip, if I don't the oil pressure will drop off when I let off.

That pan is known to have issues during deceleration (braking). But if you keep the oil level high enough, it will be fine.

As far as the std vs high volume oil pump, IMO it has more effect at idle than anywhere else. If the std gives you at least 15 psi at hot idle, I would run it. Otherwise go with the high volume. This can be very sensitive to idle speed (700 rpm or 900 rpm), so running a couple hundred more rpm can solve some low pressure issues at hot idle.

FWIW,
In my 511 CID wedge big block, I have run both a HV pump and a std volume pump with the internals smoothed. Using the same bypass spring in both pumps, the oil pressure going down the track was identical. The only difference was the idle oil pressure, most notably only when the oil was hot (which is hard to do in a drag race car). After one season with the std volume pump, the inside looked great (bearings, crank, pistons, etc.). But I didn't see any ET improvement. I think drain back and the amount going to the heads (mine has Indy heads with restrictors) along with oil pan is more important than the pump volume.

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1
Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: 440Jim] #1337710
11/21/12 01:27 PM
11/21/12 01:27 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Race engines with bigger clearences need more volume. Oil systems is not a place to gamble or skimp on.

Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: B G Racing] #1337711
11/21/12 04:15 PM
11/21/12 04:15 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Race engines with bigger clearences need more volume. Oil systems is not a place to gamble or skimp on.

Brother, that be the TRUTH

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: B G Racing] #1337712
11/21/12 07:51 PM
11/21/12 07:51 PM
Wild West
M_D Offline
pro stock
M_D  Offline
pro stock

Wild West
Quote:

I agree, enlarging clearances will require more volume of flow to maintain the same pressure, all other things being more or less equal. But, that doesn't automatically mean a standard pump won't work, it may or may not, depending on the exact factors involved which primarily amount to pump capacity and the flow needed to have sufficient pressure with given clearances. If the pressure is adequate, which indicates the flow is also adequate for that combination, then installing a larger pump will just bypass more oil assuming the pressures are equal.

Let's compare this to flow bench principles. The flow bench is adjusted to maintain the same pressure as the test is repeated at various valve lifts. When a port flows more air, you increase the volume of air being pulled (or pushed) through it until the pressure equals the standard you are using. Having a means to regulate pressure (a bypass or return) allows pumps to work over a certain range of flows. So, as long as a flow bench is capable of pumping enough air to reach the desired test pressure a large bench (pump) will not gain anything as you just bypass or regulate the flow downward to keep the pressure in check.

My 2 cents on the oil pumps is a bigger (within reason) pump is better than one too small, but it isn’t better than one that is smaller but big enough.

Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: M_D] #1337713
11/21/12 07:57 PM
11/21/12 07:57 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

I agree, enlarging clearances will require more volume of flow to maintain the same pressure, all other things being more or less equal. But, that doesn't automatically mean a standard pump won't work, it may or may not, depending on the exact factors involved which primarily amount to pump capacity and the flow needed to have sufficient pressure with given clearances. If the pressure is adequate, which indicates the flow is also adequate for that combination, then installing a larger pump will just bypass more oil assuming the pressures are equal.

Let's compare this to flow bench principles. The flow bench is adjusted to maintain the same pressure as the test is repeated at various valve lifts. When a port flows more air, you increase the volume of air being pulled (or pushed) through it until the pressure equals the standard you are using. Having a means to regulate pressure (a bypass or return) allows pumps to work over a certain range of flows. So, as long as a flow bench is capable of pumping enough air to reach the desired test pressure a large bench (pump) will not gain anything as you just bypass or regulate the flow downward to keep the pressure in check.

My 2 cents on the oil pumps is a bigger (within reason) pump is better than one too small, but it isn’t better than one that is smaller but big enough.

All things being equal,"bigger is always better"If two good look guys went out on the town and one came up shorter than the other,which one has a better chance of getting lucky?

Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: B G Racing] #1337714
11/21/12 08:19 PM
11/21/12 08:19 PM
Wild West
M_D Offline
pro stock
M_D  Offline
pro stock

Wild West
lol, I guess it depends on which parts are bigger! Then again, do you look for dates that probably have big clearances?

Re: High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump [Re: M_D] #1337715
11/21/12 08:58 PM
11/21/12 08:58 PM
nielsville, minn.
Q
quickd100 Offline
master
quickd100  Offline
master
Q

nielsville, minn.
When you're running a very expensive motor and leaning on it hard I'd rather be safe than sorry. Oil is your friend, to little of it gets REAL expensive fast.Dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2