Arkansas
G
GregGarner Offline OP
mopar
GregGarner  Offline OP
mopar
G

Arkansas
When I built this car, I had a stack of engine harnesses laying around. They are all original harnesses, but I don't know for sure where they came from. Some I stripped out of cars that I got (mostly Ebodies), some I picked up cheap at a swap meet. I don't think any of my harnesses are reproduction because they all look too old.

I just took all the tape off the best looking harness, fixed a few problems it had. I may have taken a wire or two out of the firewall plug and put another one in from a different harness. It did not have a problem with the two pickup coil wires, because I could tell by the color codes on both ends that the wire had not been cut or spliced. In fact if you look at the harness now, you can see that the color of the wires on the ECU side of the plug does not match the color of the wires going into the distributor. The colors are backwards. Wherever this harness came from, it was wired backwards from the factory in my opinion. That is to say, it was wired backwards for a challenger. Maybe it was correct for a 78 truck or something else, who knows.

GregGarner
www.rt-eng.com
Greg@rt-eng.com

GregGarner
www.rt-eng.com
Home of the mopar solid state limiter adn tach repair kit
Re: Mopar electronic ignition double fires at idle [Re: GregGarner] #13340
09/24/04 12:20 AM
09/24/04 12:20 AM
Arkansas
G
GregGarner Offline OP
mopar
GregGarner  Offline OP
mopar
G

Arkansas
Interesting that it wouldn't run with the Orange boxes. Maybe the timing was too far off or something?

We tried both a chrome box and an Orange box and my car ran with both, but remember I set the timing with the wiring set backwards so the timing was right on.

GregGarner
www.rt-eng.com
Greg@rt-eng.com

GregGarner
www.rt-eng.com
Home of the mopar solid state limiter adn tach repair kit
Re: Mopar electronic ignition double fires at idle #13341
09/28/04 10:51 AM
09/28/04 10:51 AM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

I think Don at 4 Sec Flat had some tests on the "orange box", that were not very flattering.. AIR, he found SERIOUS loss of plug voltage at higer rpms.
Maybe a good distributor and a good box, [I think he has one that shows significantly better performance] would really "step up to the plate" w/ some improved performance???

I hate to be a pessimist but I'd like to see some test results about this. More importantly, I'd like to see some results from an unbiased person (i.e., someone who is not trying to sell their own ignition system over the orange box)

In any event, I run the chrome box and when I first put it in, I had the distributor wires crossed as well and it ran like crap. I think the issue of firing on the leading edge is the ticket.

good diagnosis!!

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
Re: Mopar electronic ignition double fires at idle [Re: GregGarner] #13342
09/29/04 05:34 AM
09/29/04 05:34 AM
Hunt Valley, Maryland
1fastrunner Online work
top fuel
1fastrunner  Online Work
top fuel

Hunt Valley, Maryland
That's great that you were able to solve this problem! I'm having similar troubles, but not so much noticable with the tach. When my timing is set where it should be, 18/34/3400, it still runs funny. I have a little hessitation and stumbling upon acceleration and some backfire as well. It also has a hrd time at idle and will just stall out. Don at FBO, I have his set-up, suggested switching the wires but I haven't done that yet. I verified top dead center and I hope to check the wire switch thing out today. I have a wire harness from Year One.
What was happening with your timing before and after the correction?
Jim

Re: Mopar electronic ignition double fires at idle [Re: Clair_Davis] #13343
09/29/04 08:32 AM
09/29/04 08:32 AM
North Dakota
J
Jesse_Lackman Offline
super gas
Jesse_Lackman  Offline
super gas
J

North Dakota
Yes the orange box retards the timing.

I checked and with 35 total @ 1200 (using a lean burn distributor no centrifugal advance) the timing had backed down to about 29 total @ 5000.

It held within one degree with the FBO box.

Centrifugal and vacuum advance mask this problem.

Aftermarket boxes are worse than the MP boxes.

This is why the MSD boxes work so good, they cure the timing retard feature of the MP boxes. The FBO box does this at a much lower price. There is really no need for multi spark box with mildly cammed engines. All multi-spark really does is improve idle quality with bigger cams this is why they go to one spark at high rpm.

FBO -->> www.4secondsflat.com

Re: Mopar electronic ignition double fires at idle [Re: GregGarner] #13344
09/29/04 03:28 PM
09/29/04 03:28 PM
Hunt Valley, Maryland
1fastrunner Online work
top fuel
1fastrunner  Online Work
top fuel

Hunt Valley, Maryland
Quote:

You guys are not going to believe what the problem turned out to be. Thanks for all the excellent suggestions, as they helped me track this problem down.

First of all, I got a replacement distributor from O-reilly, very nice looking, for $54 including tax. I popped that puppy in, expecting my problem to go away, and it still double fired.

So I thought, well, it must be either the engine or the wiring. I then hooked up the distributor to a drill and looked at the waveforms as suggested. It was a very nice waveform with no double pulses.

I made a nice little test harness out of two of those 4 pin trailer wiring harness jacks, so that I could plug in between the distributor and the wiring harness and look at the signals with the scope. I then looked at the distributor pickup signal, and this time there was no double firing. So I added the scope probe back to the minus side of the coil, and sure enough, no double firing. Somehow adding the test harness fixed the problem!

Possibilities that went through my head: Inductive pickup where my wires were picking up spark, extra capacitance of the scope probe, extra inductance of the 1 ft test harness. I move the harness around, thinking that if it were inductive pickup, then it should be easy to make it happen. Moving the wires did not make it double fire. Finally it hit me: I had wired the test harness such that it swapped the two pickup wires, changing the polarity of the pickup signal. What luck!

I then yanked out the handy dandy Moparts electronic distributor wiring, and looked closer at my harness. The harness I have has a brown wire and a black wire going from the 2 prong plug to the Orange ECU unit. The harness is wired exactly backwards from what the moparts diagram says it should be! The brown and black wires are not swapped, so I think it was wired this way from wherever the harness came from, which is no telling where.

I yanked the harness out of the car and peeled back the tape next to the two prong plug and swapped the wires, heatshrinking and soldering the connections. I then put the harness back in the car, and no double fire!

I then hooked up one of my tachs with a reproduction board in it, and the tach worked perfectly, reading the proper RPM everywhere.

Whew, what a relief!

Here is the URL of the wiring harness so you can check your harness and see if it is backwards. This diagram is definately correct, it shows the correct polarity.

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/elec/3.html

Here is my Half Baked Theory on what is going on:

The Orange box is probably supposed to fire on the rising edge as the reluctor approaches the pickup coil. Since I had my polarity backwards on the pickup coil, it was firing as the reluctor left the pickup coil. As the ignition coil fired, it generated a 260V positive spike on the minus pickup of the coil. This spike is inductively coupled to the two pickup wires, and since the reluctor is not near the pickup coil anymore to create a voltage source, it causes the Orange box to fire again. This may not be exactly what is going on, but it is something like this.

Does Don/FBO have a link on the web to the aftermarket ECU units you guys were mentioning above?

GregGarner
www.rt-eng.com
Greg@rt-eng.com

Greg,
This sounds a little like my problems.
What was your timing before and after?
Jim

Re: Mopar electronic ignition double fires at idle [Re: GregGarner] #13345
10/03/04 10:24 PM
10/03/04 10:24 PM
St. Louis area
M
MrBill Offline
MrBill  Offline
M

St. Louis area
Greg,
Just to confirm for any doubters out there, I fired up my Cuda today which had this tach problem for 15 years and it is fixed! I swapped the 2 pick up coil wires inadvertently when changing something (probably from a 5 pin to 4 pin ignition box)years ago. I reversed them and now it works like it did when new. Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou.
Mr. Bill

oooOOOH NOOOooo MrBill MOPAR or NOCAR
Re: Mopar electronic ignition double fires at idle [Re: MrBill] #13346
10/09/04 10:42 PM
10/09/04 10:42 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Clair_Davis Offline
master
Clair_Davis  Offline
master

Fort Worth, TX
Quote:

Greg,
Just to confirm for any doubters out there, I fired up my Cuda today which had this tach problem for 15 years and it is fixed! I swapped the 2 pick up coil wires inadvertently when changing something (probably from a 5 pin to 4 pin ignition box)years ago. I reversed them and now it works like it did when new. Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou.
Mr. Bill

And another round of Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou from me, too! Spent the morning in the salvage yard picking up some bits and pieces, including another distributor plug, and this afternoon after getting my new gages installed, I hooked up a pair of plugs to reverse the wires to the control box (orange). At first, timing was WAY off, so I had to tweak the timing just to make her run. Once she was running, the tach was reading accurately, both in the car, and with my hand-held tach. Reset the timing to 35 @ 3K, about 16 @ 800 idle, and all is good with the world again. Man, that just frustrated the heck out of me forever! I still don't know WHY it was backwards, all I can remember (from nearly 10 years ago) was that something was funny when I was putting my harness together. I almost think I found something strange in the factory harness, too, but I've slept too many times since then. No matter, it's fixed now.

Thanks again for this fix!

Clair

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3