09/10/12 11:40 AM
09/10/12 11:40 AM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
I've heard from several people that the rear power window motors on a 68-70 convertible B-body (maybe E-body too?) are different than other power window motors. Something about them having to be smaller for clearance issues. I've also "heard" that B-body station wagons with a power rear window have these small motors too.

1. What is the true story about convertible rear power window motors in a 68-70 B-body? Does anyone have any pictures? A side-by-side picture vs. the standard power window motor would be great.

2. What is needed to convert a manual crank window convertible to a power window convertible? I have all the switches (4-gang plus 3 singles), the plastic drive gears & several switch connectors from pickup trucks/cars I'm pretty sure I can make work. I also have some information about adding relays for the power windows to save wear & tear on the switches.

What other parts do I need? What else do I need to know? How do I make this conversion of manual crank to power windows? All you power window experts please teach me! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"
Re: 68-70 B-body Convertible Power Widows - How to Convert? [Re: PurpleBeeper] #1301060
09/10/12 12:00 PM
09/10/12 12:00 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Power window motors are the same in both hardtop or convertible.

It's the regulator itself thats different for a convertible versus hardtop.(1/4 windows only btw)
B body convertible 1/4 power window regulators are extremly tough to get.

No idea whats involved or if it's even possibile to convert a manual window regulator to a power window regulator( seriously doubt it though)

Re: 68-70 B-body Convertible Power Widows - How to Convert? [Re: gtx6970] #1301061
09/10/12 12:48 PM
09/10/12 12:48 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

No idea whats involved or if it's even possibile to convert a manual window regulator to a power window regulator( seriously doubt it though)

Doubt all you want, it's not hard to do.... When I hve time I'll type it all out again...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: 68-70 B-body Convertible Power Widows - How to Convert? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1301062
09/10/12 01:02 PM
09/10/12 01:02 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Quote:

Quote:

Doubt all you want, it's not hard to do.... When I have time I'll type it all out again...

Randy , converting a manual regulator to power is possibile?
You have my attention.

I have heard of converting power hardtop regulators to use in verts though.

Re: 68-70 B-body Convertible Power Widows - How to Convert? [Re: gtx6970] #1301063
09/10/12 07:10 PM
09/10/12 07:10 PM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
Wow... you guys are blowing my mind here. My understanding was that you could convert any manual regulator to a power regulator by putting in the plastic drive gear instead of the manual handle setup and that it was the rear power motors themselves that were hard to find!

Who has done this conversion?

No offense, but I hope you guys are wrong 'cause I just bought some rear convertible power window motors and I already have 4 new/rebuilt power motors. Doing a part reference through O'Reilly's Auto Parts shows front power window motors available & rear ones "not available". If the motors themselves are the same then I just wasted my money.

I've seen a U-tube video of a 68 Coronet convertible where a company was making aftermarket rear power window setups for around $600, but I was hoping to go cheaper if possible.

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"
Re: 68-70 B-body Convertible Power Widows - How to Convert? [Re: PurpleBeeper] #1301064
09/10/12 10:05 PM
09/10/12 10:05 PM
Pataskala, Ohio
GTX70sixpack Offline
top fuel
GTX70sixpack  Offline
top fuel

Pataskala, Ohio
I will try to post this but everything I post disappears in a day or so. You can convert most manual regulators to power with a minimum amount of work. you simply need a motor with gear and the correct gear count. drill new holes to align properly and you may have to modify the door for motor clearance. There was 3 yrs of intrepid that used the same tooth per inch count as my 65 Belvedere. I also had to use 2 relays per door to make the grounds as the original style switches were for a dual winding/grounded motor. I think we are putting power windows in my Daughters A100 but I have not found the correct gear count for the regulator yet. A section of a spare regulator to take to the junk yard makes it easy to compare teeth. A little fab work and your on your way.

65 Belvedere II Station Wagon
69 Coronet R/T convertible
70 GTX
70'cuda
99 Dodge Diesel dually 4X4
Re: 68-70 B-body Convertible Power Widows - How to Convert? [Re: GTX70sixpack] #1301065
09/11/12 12:26 AM
09/11/12 12:26 AM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
Quote:

I will try to post this but everything I post disappears in a day or so. You can convert most manual regulators to power with a minimum amount of work. you simply need a motor with gear and the correct gear count. drill new holes to align properly and you may have to modify the door for motor clearance. There was 3 yrs of intrepid that used the same tooth per inch count as my 65 Belvedere. I also had to use 2 relays per door to make the grounds as the original style switches were for a dual winding/grounded motor. I think we are putting power windows in my Daughters A100 but I have not found the correct gear count for the regulator yet. A section of a spare regulator to take to the junk yard makes it easy to compare teeth. A little fab work and your on your way.

GTX,

You are making my mouth water like a Roadrunner looking at a pile of "free bird seed" Any information you can share is VERY appreciated!

Re: 68-70 B-body Convertible Power Widows - How to Convert? [Re: PurpleBeeper] #1301066
09/13/12 12:32 AM
09/13/12 12:32 AM
Pataskala, Ohio
GTX70sixpack Offline
top fuel
GTX70sixpack  Offline
top fuel

Pataskala, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

GTX,

You are making my mouth water like a Roadrunner looking at a pile of "free bird seed" Any information you can share is VERY appreciated!

Simple, get power window motors with the correct gear count and with some cutting/drilling/welding as required your regulator is up and running. Each application is different. Sometimes you need to use part of the power widow regulator. It is best to have spares if alot of modifications are required. Don't limit your search to Chrysler only motors. Depending on the shape of the inside of the door and how the motor mounts on the regulator you may have to remove some material here. From my standpoint this is a simple mod, but time consuming in most cases. depending on your skill level it could be difficult. I use modern 5 pin relays when needed. It is all trial and error. Once the first one is under your belt you are home free.

65 Belvedere II Station Wagon
69 Coronet R/T convertible
70 GTX
70'cuda
99 Dodge Diesel dually 4X4
Re: 68-70 B-body Convertible Power Widows - How to Convert? [Re: GTX70sixpack] #1301067
09/13/12 02:32 AM
09/13/12 02:32 AM
People's Republic of Kali
70runner Offline
super stock
70runner  Offline
super stock

People's Republic of Kali
I did this conversion on my 70RR vert, manual to power. At one of the CPW Mopar shows several years ago, I found a guy selling a conversion kit, quarter regulators from a 70 Coronet vert, and manual door regulators converted to power regulators by rewelding the regulator sprocket using the same Coronet as a template.

The door manual and vert regulators are virtually identical except for the stop. As Bill noted earlier, the quarter regs are much different. Could a qtr manual be converted to power regulator?...dunno, but it wouldn't be easy. Somewhere I've got a side by side picture of manual and vert qtr regulators - trying to dig it up.

Fortunately there is a good source of motors in most boneyards, nearly any mid 70s - early 80s PW Chrysler will have the correct motor. Make sure you remove the gear case and relube the gears.

Orientation of the PW regulator assembly on the inner door panel is completely different than the manual. There are notches where the holes have to be drilled. Pic below shows qtr mount orientation.

Also, fortunately, the manual tracks/guides will work for the conversion. You will have to fabricate some new stops, both up and down. I also found I had to extend some of the mounting holes to get the correct glass alignments.

The toughest part for me was the harness. I used one from a C body, but it has the wrong size door/frame plugs. Fortunately, I had some leftover plugs/partial harness pieces from a 70RR with PW resto. Some guys cut the plugs which makes it a lot easier of course. Not wanting to cut the plugs, I basically "gutted" the center of the plugs - removed the old harness wires. Then I had to remove all the connectors on one side of the harness and slide the plug over the harness to the correct spot on the harness. Judicious use of wire pulling lubricant. I used some NOS lookalike harness tape to finish it off, especially where you can see it between the door and frame. Then you have to find some nice switches, 68 switches are like the 66-67 I believe. 69-70 switches are found on B/C/E body from 69-76/77, most commonly C bodies of course.

Re: 68-70 B-body Convertible Power Widows - How to Convert? [Re: 70runner] #1301068
09/13/12 07:57 PM
09/13/12 07:57 PM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
Thanks GTX and Runner,

Well, I have a 1/2 dozen single power window switches, two correct 4-gang switches, 1/2 doezen electrical connector, a wiring harness or two and 7 power window motors, so that's a start.

GTX... I would REALLY like to see the manual-to-power door modification! Also, can you please show me some pics of exactly where the wiring runs from door-to-frame?

It sounds like for the rear I have to find a rare convt. power regulator setup OR go with aftermarket. FYI there's a U-tube video of a '68 Coronet convt. rear 1/4 power window setup (aftermarket). They sell the rear window regulators/motors for $600 which seems like the way to go in back. BUT I CAN'T FIND THEIR CONTACT INFO NOW Does anyone know what company I'm talking about?

Thanks for Your Help!

Re: 68-70 B-body Convertible Power Widows - How to Convert? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1301069
09/13/12 08:10 PM
09/13/12 08:10 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Quote:

Doubt all you want, it's not hard to do.... When I hve time I'll type it all out again...

My method involves using a complete power window regulator out of a B or C body or even a F,M,J body, as long as it uses the standard four bolt plate to mount to the body.... If you look you'll see the plate & gear is always pretty much the same, So I grind the peened metal that locks the pivot of the regulator together, then I save the plate & large gear, next do the same to the manual regulator & scrap the gear & plate from that assembly, You need to pay attention to the clocking of the plate & the gear to the regulator arm but you have all the parts, I clamp the parts & tack weld the pivot back in place.. Getting things clocked correctly takes so doing because the manual plate bolts to the door/body at a different angle.... If you can look at an OE part it's pretty easy to match the angles if not I bolt the regulator into the car with the arm still loose but pinned in the center, have the gear in the up position minus 2-3 teeth & get the window attach to the arm, with the window all the way up mark it's location on the gear, pull it apart & tack the arm to the gear & you now have a power window regulator...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: 68-70 B-body Convertible Power Widows - How to Convert? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1301070
09/13/12 10:42 PM
09/13/12 10:42 PM
KS
68SportSatvert Offline
top fuel
68SportSatvert  Offline
top fuel

KS
What would the power and manual regulators cost? How much for a complete setup with regulators, wiring harness and switches?