09/03/12 12:49 PM
09/03/12 12:49 PM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline OP
master
tubtar  Offline OP
master

St. Paul , Mn.
I just got around to trying to program mine.
I bought the USB to serial adapter cable that they link to on the MSD web site.
A p/n GUC 232 A from I.O.Gear.
It is not the correct part.
The input on the MSD box is female ........ so is the cable end that they would like me to attach to it sort of.
It has the pins , but requires the screws to draw it into the component that are so common on many computer plugs.
And exactly like the plug on the MSD box.
I guess this stuff happens.
But to me it not only happens , but happens on national holidays when I can not get in touch with anyone who could guide me in my quest for answers.
I.O. Gear's number led me to someone on the sub continent , who did provide return instructions and will be sending a pick up notice for UPS.
But she was lacking in the technical end of the exchange.
I am going to try Best Buy and see if I fare any better there......I see cables on ebay for significantly less than the 25.00 they skinned me out of for this one.
Wish me luck.
On a different tangent regarding the same box , I bought mine from Speed Unlimited on ebay.......the ad copy listed that software was included with the box.
It isn't.
I called Speed Unlimited's customer service line about that.
Got someone who's extent of automobile knowledge might have gone as far as " they drive on roads ".
But she did pull a box from the back and sure enough , there was no software in that one either.
After some discussion , it was determined that it is available on line......all well and good , but not what was advertised.
Then not providing a cable to program a programmable ignition.......my level of contentedness was falling fast.
No soft ware , no cable , barely mediocre customer service.......I was ready to take my business elsewhere.
But the 20% re-stocking fee queered that idea.
I am all for principals and taking a stand , but this one wasn't worth 70.00 to me.
I did leave neutral feedback stating that the customer service left me wanting and they may have lost me.
They replied
" Reply by speedunlimited_sales (Aug-25-12 07:40):
Seriously? We bent over backwards for this buyer multiple times. "

Seriously ? Because unless shipping my order and getting it right is bending over backwards , I am not seeing this.
I have had better than a dozen purchases from them in the last couple years , some largeish , and never did any more than send them money and leave positive feedback until this deal.
I wish we had a real speed shop up here......TNT has gone somewhere else I guess.....I picked up my last order from them after the doors had closed and was lucky T.J. was next door in his shop. C&A has no inventory to speak of and less technical knowledge than anyone in this business should have.
I think that's it for our area.
And that is a sad statement in itself.

Re: MSD 6AL-2 programmable buyers........... [Re: tubtar] #1296188
09/03/12 04:42 PM
09/03/12 04:42 PM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline OP
master
tubtar  Offline OP
master

St. Paul , Mn.
Quick update.........Best Buy had the cable.( 39.00 )
Now I find out that I need to power up the MSD to program it.
I guess I should have 12 vdc available in my den........I don't.
The simplicity of these things is truly amazing.
If it wasn't for the ignition curve , I'd have been much happier sticking to my analog 6 AL.

Re: MSD 6AL-2 programmable buyers........... [Re: tubtar] #1296189
09/03/12 06:39 PM
09/03/12 06:39 PM
off the grid
340B5 Offline
pro stock
340B5  Offline
pro stock

off the grid
Good 'ol Ebag. I bought an injector tester a few years back and it had all the cables(of course it did). Long story short, I went to Radio Shack for the DB9 cable and the parts store for an injector plug.

Yeah, it's got a smallblock.