09/28/08 06:37 AM
09/28/08 06:37 AM
Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada
M
mycreation68 Offline OP
mycreation68  Offline OP
M

Hey guys. I'm looking at buying a 54 dodge regent for a project/driver. My ideal plans would be to buy a running 76-80 plymouth/dodge volare/aspen and steal the engine out for my currently disabled 84 ramcharger and use the rest in the 54. I checked the sizes and according to allpar the 54 is the same width as the volare/aspen. I can't find any photos of a 54 dodge's front frame but I've seen a few of a 49's so I think it should be pretty close?

As long as the frame is close I'm figureing I'll build some brackets to weld to the factory 54 frame so I can bolt the f body front k in. I'm assuming this will end up with a high ride height but I plan on driving the car this winter so it'll be fine until I redo it next summer and weld the kmember directly to the frame. I'll put the rear end in accordingly to the front ends height and figure that I'll use the same cars rear axle. I have a good slant 6 from a 1979 and a good trans from a 1968 dart, that I'll combine and I'll use the 68's stock driveshaft(made to proper length for the 54 of course)

That'll be the drivetrain and suspension, I'll custom bend brake and fuel lines and that should about do it for the cars mechanicals(I will install the proper master cylinder from the F-body) I figure just a simple guage install and rewire will work for me and I'll install just the necessary guages(speedo, tach, water temp, oil press, and a voltmeter) But only temporarily until I can get some money together for a proper rebuild on the stock guage cluster.

So I'm hoping some guys have some input on this project. I'm also looking at a 52 if the deal on the 54 doesn't turn out.

Re: Looking at buying a rodder project. [Re: mycreation68] #128866
09/28/08 09:49 AM
09/28/08 09:49 AM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
I'd suggest lots of research before you start cutting and hacking.
Many frame swap projects do not get completed.
It also sounds like you have a few different projects going at the same time. Some people can juggle, some can't.
Try not to end up with 2-3 vehicles torn apart and nothing getting done.

Re: Looking at buying a rodder project. [Re: RodStRace] #128867
09/28/08 10:52 AM
09/28/08 10:52 AM
M
mycreation68 Offline OP
mycreation68  Offline OP
M

technically with adding this 54 I'll have 2 projects. my 84 ramcharger right now is just a get it running project. I was going to install some 8 bolts but seeing as I blew up the motor it needs a new motor before it needs new axles. once winter hits that project hits the backburner as it becomes my daily. the 68 is a long term road course racer project so that'll be fine the way it is. I've just always wanted an old crusier.

I've been searching and searching and nobody seems to be able to help me find out whether my plans will work or if I'll have to change them or how the frame is setup on the car.

Re: Looking at buying a rodder project. [Re: RodStRace] #128868
09/28/08 09:46 PM
09/28/08 09:46 PM
N.Wilkesboro,NC
D
DusterKrazy Offline
master
DusterKrazy  Offline
master
D

N.Wilkesboro,NC
Quote:

I'd suggest lots of research before you start cutting and hacking.
Many frame swap projects do not get completed.
It also sounds like you have a few different projects going at the same time. Some people can juggle, some can't.
Try not to end up with 2-3 vehicles torn apart and nothing getting done.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. Thats some of the best advice ever! I've been there done that. When worse comes to worse and you figure you can live without a certain vehicle SELL IT . This actually relieves lots of what am I gonna do with that stress and the $$$ you get even if it's not much can can be put into the project you are currently working on getting it closer to completion Take this from a guy who has 3 or 4 projects....But Ive learned to slow down and take my time and get the parts as cheaply as possible. Im currently on one project right now even though there's plenty to do within my yard..

Re: Looking at buying a rodder project. [Re: mycreation68] #128869
09/28/08 11:47 PM
09/28/08 11:47 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Quote:

technically with adding this 54 I'll have 2 projects. my 84 ramcharger right now is just a get it running project. I was going to install some 8 bolts but seeing as I blew up the motor it needs a new motor before it needs new axles. once winter hits that project hits the backburner as it becomes my daily. the 68 is a long term road course racer project so that'll be fine the way it is. I've just always wanted an old crusier.

I've been searching and searching and nobody seems to be able to help me find out whether my plans will work or if I'll have to change them or how the frame is setup on the car.

I tend to agree with having too many projects going at one time becomes difficult.

As for your perposed idea, have you looked at the bolt in K member on an F body? They are huge and odd shapped. The first issue I can detect is the current front crossmember is probably going to be at the exact point the F body cross member will be. To "make brackets" to bolt the F body crossmember on your 54 frame, you are going to have to at least cut off your front crossmember. I also suspect you existing frame rails will not easily adapt to the F body k member, they are likely too bulky and in an incorrect location. Any F body subframe job I've seen involved removing the original frame at about the firewall and building a tube subframe to bolt the F body crossmember to, not a simple nor a fast swap. Another issue with the F body k member is that the front two mounting bolts are NOT in line with the rear two mounting bolts. The front two are 4" wider on center then the rear two. Also the torsion bars hang out front of the K member, one in front of the other, almost 8" ahead of the spindle centerline. Many older cars do not have enough distance ahead of the spindles to accomindate the torsion bars and their mounting ears.

Really look over the F body K member and take some hard measurements before you jump into this project. I have done 3 of them and will likely not do another. A Dakota clip would be much easier, IMHO.
Gene

Re: Looking at buying a rodder project. [Re: poorboy] #128870
09/29/08 01:50 AM
09/29/08 01:50 AM
M
mycreation68 Offline OP
mycreation68  Offline OP
M

yeah I'm thinking it might be a little much yet. Anyone ever driving one with the stock setup? I'm thinking I'll just leave the stock frame setup and research this closer for the necessary amount of work to put something better under.

Re: Looking at buying a rodder project. [Re: mycreation68] #128871
09/29/08 08:42 PM
09/29/08 08:42 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
If your suspension is still intact, your best bet would be to rebuild the suspension and step up to a disc brake conversion. The full process will probably set you back around a grand, but then you know what you have fits your car and is adjustable. Gene