Print Thread
Ignition problem #1278572
08/02/12 09:58 PM
08/02/12 09:58 PM
Southeast MI
71360rag Offline OP
71360rag  Offline OP

Southeast MI
I am having a problem with my 71 Challenger. It has run fine all summer until I went to start it the other day. It started to turn over but never actually started. Since then when I go to start it I can hear the starter relay click but the starter does not turn the engine. I have had the battery and starter checked out at Autozone,they are good. They checked the starter 4 times on the machine, every time it checked out ok. I replaced the starter relay and checked the battery cables,fuses, and grounds,all appear to be good. Lights,radio,electric fan work fine. I do not believe it is the neutral safety switch, ocassionally when the linkage is not in the correct position it will just do nothing, no power goes to the starter relay. I also tried moving the gear lever and starting it in neutral, it still does not start. Any ideas of what else to check?

Re: Ignition problem [Re: 71360rag] #1278573
08/02/12 10:18 PM
08/02/12 10:18 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
With a large screwdriver jump across the large "batt" terminal on the starter relay to the "sol" terminal right next to it on the relay (probably a brown wire) & if it cranks that tells you the batt/starter/large cables are fine. If not then with a large screwdriver jump across the large/small terminals on the starter itself & see if it cranks. If good then jump fire to the male "ign" terminal on the starter relay & see if it cranks right then (no key). Remove that jumper & jump from the male "grn" terminal on the starter relay to ground & turn the key to start & see if it cranks. Keep the "grn" terminal grounded and jump fire again to the male "ign" terminal on the starter relay & see if it cranks. Holler back.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth