So here is a long term update. I was working out with my best bud today and I pitched him the idea for a San Francisco road trip next year and he loved the idea. Then I told him, "In the Dart." And of course he got a little hesitant.
He basically told me, "I don't want us breaking down or stuck in the middle of nowhere forever because something major failed." If I can ensure him that he said he would have no problems with it.
So here is my new goal... Get the car 100% mechanically sound in 1 year to take on a road trip up to Northern California. I pitched him some ideas about possibly going up PCH through Santa Barbara (spending some time there) and head out to San Luis Obispo to spend one night. Then from there we just man handle it up to San Fran for another 3 nights. We would like to spend a day at Great America and we definitely want to go to the Fisherman's Warf one afternoon.
Anyways, we have a while to plan it. Back to the car. So now I am trying to get down a list of things I want/need to do to the car to make sure it is safe and sound. Here is the list I have come up with so far. Please feel free to add anything I may miss or haven't even thought of:Wants and/or Priorities
(in no particular order)
1) Fix power steering couple or switch over to power steering column.
2) Switch over to A-body 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 rear end (keep small bolt pattern for now).
3) Install aftermarket radiator to ensure the car doesn't overheat (I have a mechanical fan and shroud, but I better be safe than sorry if I can cool the car down more).
4) Fix/replace passenger door lock.
5) Fix/replace sending unit (gas gauge doesn't work or works when it wants to).
6) Fix temperature gauge (I haven't seen it work at all).
7) Fix driver side window issues.
8) Get the AC going (there's no compressor, but it is usually cooler in North Cal and I have windows that will roll down).
9) Thorough check of suspension, brake, tire, and fluids before trip.
10ish) If time and budget allow, switch everything over to big bolt pattern and install disc brakes in the front.
11) Clean out the rust in the trunk.
Anything else you can think of? Thanks for following me and for the support!