mckinney texas
S
shoebox Offline OP
super stock
shoebox  Offline OP
super stock
S

mckinney texas
ok heres the deal i got a "cheapy" shortblock that my friend and i built like 10 yrs ago. i sold the car for like 5 yrs but luckily got it back in 2010!! its the same motor we built 440.ly rods.2295 domes.
i saw some speckleling on 5 and 6 pistons like it detonated.. it did on me back in the day at the track with slicks on it. you really couldnt hear any on the street with the tires on fire! anyway im got the motor on a stand sold the iron heads going with ported stealths and solid cam upgrade. i wanted to pull a cap or two on the worst cyls to see if the bearings did get wasted during detonation. luckily they didnt. bearings look great!!! heres where i need you.

we dont remember what rod bolts are in this thing! they have the slanted heads on them like aftermarket but the nuts are big ol 6 point dudes with little "L"s on them with dashes in between them..?
pioneer bolts maybe? sounds like somthing we would have done. anyway i didnt have any assembly lube here so i sprayed some aerokroil on the rod side half and a light lubriplate white grease on the cap side and just snugged them down with 3/8 ratchet lightly for now.. torque wrench tomorrow. i figure im going to prime the engine before refire anyway.. is the white grease enough? i can get some assembly lube and redo it. i know i sound like a dumba.. here.. lol i have only assisted assembly of motors i usually have them shortblocked. anyway what should i torque these caps too? lupriplate no 201 or whatever both sides.30w oil and XX lbs tq? thanks for any help. at least i can sleep better knowing the motor is still good for what im doing at least for now.

74 dart sport 440 www.Csucarbs.com
Re: ok i pulled a rod cap for bearing inspection and now.. [Re: shoebox] #1264988
07/10/12 12:22 AM
07/10/12 12:22 AM
mckinney texas
S
shoebox Offline OP
super stock
shoebox  Offline OP
super stock
S

mckinney texas
would anyone agree that if the bolt heads have the dimple they would be "high performance" probably arp or pioneer? the dimples are for stretch gauges right?

74 dart sport 440 www.Csucarbs.com