07/15/12 03:06 PM
07/15/12 03:06 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
You know I did not even think about the FAST cars. Of course they are not stock but do run stock intake , carbs and exh manifolds. Dave Dudeks Hemi has gone 9.90's in his Roadrunner for the fastest Hemi and I believe Ed Cooks Max Wedge 63 Plymouth has run 10.30's for the fastest wedge. I know some 440 six pack cars are also in the 10's. Thats about where I would think they would be performance wise. The Hemi is the baddest but the wedge is not far behind. I used to always feel that the Hemi's were for the top racers with money who want to be the fastest and the Wedges are for the average Joe (or Ron ) like me on a limited budget that will run respectable. I always here the Hemi parts cost more then the Wedge eng parts but I really never checked into that. Ron

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1262579
07/15/12 03:17 PM
07/15/12 03:17 PM
NY usa
540challenger Offline
master
540challenger  Offline
master

NY usa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They are both Mopar so I like them both. But I know the 63 Max Wedge cars were street legal as anyone could buy one. I honestly feel in stock trim the Max Wedge was the fastest Mopar street muscle car sold in the muscle car era. Sure the Hemi was a race eng and would kick but when setup right but on the street in stock form it was held back and the wedge carried the banner for Mopar on the street most of the time. You have to ask yourself.........how many Hemi's did you see on the street in the 60's ? A stock Maxie 62 Dart 413 went 13.44 @ 109 for M/T. Good mph for a stock eng in 1962. 426 Maxie in 63 ran 12.60's @ almost 112 mph with just the cutouts open and Atlas tires. The Hemi to me was like Fords Boss 429 as it was choked out in stock form but was the king of all race engines where it dominated. The wedge had its place in Mopar history for sure and even ran good when prepped out. I dont know if my 63 would go any faster with a Hemi equipped the same as my wedge and thats because of the good heads out there for the wedge today. And everyone knows how well the 440 six pack cars ran on the street. And the Hemi dominated the first 2 years of Pro Stock so much they had to restrict it so GM and Ford could catch up. Ron

Well put, Ron.. and I agree..

Here is something else to think about.

My 71 Hemi Challenger was bought new by a guy with limited skills.

All he did was.

-Install headers.
-12.5:1 pitons.
-A Rat Roaster(unmodified)
-Carter Competition series carbs
-A Holley Red pump.
-A Racer Brown solid cam
-4.88 gears.

Car went 10.30's@134MPH. All stock suspension. Stock unmodded 4 speed, No spool. No headwork. Other than a big block Vette there probably isnt any musclecar that could go that fast with such relatively minor mods. Even ran the stock dual point distributor. No Chrysler wedge could do that, that I am aware of.

The Hemi really had it..

MB

sorry but a a 12.5:1 440 w/ a good inatke and carb(s) would run just as well... That's more than just a few bolt ons and far from the hemi's "stock" build. I'd probably run less gear w/ a 440 thou

I would like to see a 440 with stock heads run those numbers not a chance IMO. However with as cheap as aftermarket heads head go for a wedge you should be able to build one cheaper then a hemi. Dollar for HP i would pick a wedge hands done but Iam building myself a 3rd Gen hemi as we speak

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1262580
07/15/12 05:18 PM
07/15/12 05:18 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They are both Mopar so I like them both. But I know the 63 Max Wedge cars were street legal as anyone could buy one. I honestly feel in stock trim the Max Wedge was the fastest Mopar street muscle car sold in the muscle car era. Sure the Hemi was a race eng and would kick but when setup right but on the street in stock form it was held back and the wedge carried the banner for Mopar on the street most of the time. You have to ask yourself.........how many Hemi's did you see on the street in the 60's ? A stock Maxie 62 Dart 413 went 13.44 @ 109 for M/T. Good mph for a stock eng in 1962. 426 Maxie in 63 ran 12.60's @ almost 112 mph with just the cutouts open and Atlas tires. The Hemi to me was like Fords Boss 429 as it was choked out in stock form but was the king of all race engines where it dominated. The wedge had its place in Mopar history for sure and even ran good when prepped out. I dont know if my 63 would go any faster with a Hemi equipped the same as my wedge and thats because of the good heads out there for the wedge today. And everyone knows how well the 440 six pack cars ran on the street. And the Hemi dominated the first 2 years of Pro Stock so much they had to restrict it so GM and Ford could catch up. Ron

All he did was.

-Install headers.
-A Holley Red pump.
-A Racer Brown solid cam
-4.88 gears.

Car went 10.30's@134MPH. All stock suspension. Stock unmodded 4 speed, No spool. No headwork. Other than a big block Vette there probably isnt any musclecar that could go that fast with such relatively minor mods. Even ran the stock dual point distributor. No Chrysler wedge could do that, that I am aware of.

The Hemi really had it..

MB

sorry but a a 12.5:1 440 w/ a good inatke and carb(s) would run just as well... That's more than just a few bolt ons and far from the hemi's "stock" build. I'd probably run less gear w/ a 440 thou

OK...So with your theory.

Take a stock full bodied 3,600# 440 Challenger with a non tricked stock 4 speed.

Put 12.5:1 pistons
A set of headers.
Lets say a Torker intake.
An electric fuel pump.
A solid cam with mid 70's technology, like the Racer Brown.
An Edelbrock carb(just because the Competition Series Carters were just fancy versions of the original AFB's and were of the exact same design).
Any gears you want.
Dual point distributor.
100% stock suspension.
Untouched 906 heads and the stock valvetrain.

With that recipe you are saying you would run 10.30's at 134?? Lets not forget, this was done in 1975 with just a regular guy building/tuning the car, not some guru....

MB

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HPMike] #1262581
07/15/12 06:10 PM
07/15/12 06:10 PM
Holly/MI
D
Dean_Kuzluzski Offline
master
Dean_Kuzluzski  Offline
master
D

Holly/MI
As true as ever...........

as the old saying goes "it's hard to be humble when you own a Hemi".

Undeniable, they 1st and 2nd Gen had their virtues. The 2nd being a race bred animal from its incarnation.

But the wedges were the ones that the average masses massaged to defend the pentastar on the street as daily drivers back in the day.

Never heard "Shoulda gotta Wedge" over the Hemi, but have heard "I can build several wedges for the cost of a Hemi" before!

It's all good folks!

R.I.P.- Gary "Coop" Davis 02/09/68-05/13/04
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: Dean_Kuzluzski] #1262582
07/15/12 06:20 PM
07/15/12 06:20 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
I like em' all but, one thing to remember.....

Lobster costs more than a can of tuna fish.....for a reason.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: Dean_Kuzluzski] #1262583
07/15/12 08:08 PM
07/15/12 08:08 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
'But the wedges were the ones that the average masses massaged to defend the pentastar on the street as daily drivers back in the day.'

Absolutely...

The elephant mighta been the glory-hound, but the wedges were the foot-soldiers...

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: Dean_Kuzluzski] #1262584
07/15/12 10:38 PM
07/15/12 10:38 PM
jonestown,pa
D
dmking Offline
enthusiast
dmking  Offline
enthusiast
D

jonestown,pa
imagin what life would be like if the max wedge heads were the normal head and not the 906.
it is no suprise the hemi made more hp easier with the better head flow over a 906.
it still wonder what a 440 six pack would of run with a max wedge head on it. maybe stepped on the hemis toes.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HPMike] #1262585
07/15/12 10:53 PM
07/15/12 10:53 PM
Holly, MI
JackGTX440 Offline
mopar
JackGTX440  Offline
mopar

Holly, MI
Quote:

Take a stock full bodied 3,600# 440 Challenger with a non tricked stock 4 speed.

A set of headers.
An electric fuel pump.
An Edelbrock carb(just because the Competition Series Carters were just fancy versions of the original AFB's and were of the exact same design).
Any gears you want.
Dual point distributor.
100% stock suspension.

With that recipe you are saying you would run 10.30's at 134?? Lets not forget, this was done in 1975 with just a regular guy building/tuning the car, not some guru....

MB

I agree, this sounds almost 2 seconds off... And about 16 mph... Just sayin'

I could however, see a HEMI car getting close to that.

Cost NOT included, the pros for the design of the HEMI FAR outweigh the cons.

Jack Irons Jr. '67 GTX, turbo 6.1 HEMI
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: MoparBilly] #1262586
07/15/12 11:04 PM
07/15/12 11:04 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
Quote:

Wedge racer and driver...by choice! always have been, always will be. I have no problem with the Hemi, it's a fine engine, just not impressed with Hemi owners who think everyone should bow down and ooh and aah over their car because they have an engine that other people have done amazing things with.

agreed, they're ok but imho the hype outweighs the output. the SSH cars are impressive but as a general rule if you want to run a chrysler most are better off with a wedge. as for the newer PS type engine i think calling that a hemi is a bit of a stretch

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HPMike] #1262587
07/16/12 10:15 AM
07/16/12 10:15 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All he did was.

-Install headers.
-A Holley Red pump.
-A Racer Brown solid cam
-4.88 gears.

The Hemi really had it..

MB

A set of headers.
An electric fuel pump.
Any gears you want.
Dual point distributor.
100% stock suspension.

MB

So you get 2 carbs and I'm stuck w/ one pitiful carter? How about a short Ram w/ 2 holleys or a factory 6-pack? Probably do at least a home port job on the heads and run old isky rockers...I mean you're tearing the motor apart anyway right. My main point was your hemi was not stock. And the wedge might not be at 10.30 but It wouldn't be too far behind. Remember it doesn't need to see 7000rpm.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1262588
07/16/12 11:10 AM
07/16/12 11:10 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All he did was.

-Install headers.
-A Holley Red pump.
-A Racer Brown solid cam
-4.88 gears.

The Hemi really had it..

MB

A set of headers.
An electric fuel pump.
Any gears you want.
Dual point distributor.
100% stock suspension.

MB

So you get 2 carbs and I'm stuck w/ one pitiful carter? How about a short Ram w/ 2 holleys or a factory 6-pack? Probably do at least a home port job on the heads and run old isky rockers...I mean you're tearing the motor apart anyway right. My main point was your hemi was not stock. And the wedge might not be at 10.30 but It wouldn't be too far behind. Remember it doesn't need to see 7000rpm.

Who said the Hemi was stock??

But my comparison is "apples to apples". The hemi comes from the factory with two carbs, so you arent adding anything. Add carbs to your wedge and you are. All I am trying to illustrate is that you arent going to get nearly as far with the equivalent work on a wedge as you would a Hemi. Period. And when you start really turning up the heat, then the wedge really gets left behind. The wedge then needs serious aftermarket parts. There is a reason these cars got their own classification in Super Stock. It was otherwise an unfair advantage to anything else. And the wedge is actually a "bigger" engine technically speaking.

MB

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HPMike] #1262589
07/16/12 11:19 AM
07/16/12 11:19 AM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
We all know an engine is just an air compressor right? Look at those 426 Hemi intake ports, then at your wedge ports (max wedge ports if that makes you happy), Tell me which one is going to pump the most air through them.
I don't know any street racer back then that just kept adding camshaft to his 440 and went faster and faster. But that's what works in a 426 Hemi (and big block Chevy for that matter).

Sheldon

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: RUNCHARGER] #1262590
07/16/12 04:00 PM
07/16/12 04:00 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Stock heads would hold the wedge back for sure. We have very good aftermarket and MP wedge heads but you cant consider it stock anymore once you put Indy's or Eddy heads on a 440. You have to add a good head to the wedge to try and stay even close to the Hemi. Ron

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: 383man] #1262591
07/16/12 06:36 PM
07/16/12 06:36 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Stock heads would hold the wedge back for sure. We have very good aftermarket and MP wedge heads but you cant consider it stock anymore once you put Indy's or Eddy heads on a 440. You have to add a good head to the wedge to try and stay even close to the Hemi. Ron

Great points, Ron!! But...there IS enough
factory and aftermarket performance goodies for the wedge to "do battle" with the HEMI. Biggest problem is not the power, nor the breathing capabilities as much as everyone believes. It's the engine reliability and hi-rpm potential. The wedge is bit behind in both areas. The HEMI heads are simply "free-breathers" at higher rpms, netting MORE hp than the wedge. Not to say the wedge cannot attain high levels of hp, they simply do it at a lower rpm level than the HEMI. That's why I believe the wedges NEED the added preventative measures and parts (precise lower end clearances, billet/steel main bearing caps, main bearing/block girdles, cross-bolted
main cap engine blocks), to complete with the HEMI
and it's reliability/power output. Again, simply put (and without insult to ANYONE), wedges (max or
not) RULE the 8.90's (oops SS wedges are near 8.60-8.50 now?)and slower brackets and classes, while the HEMIS dominate everything else. Except the STREETS, where the CROWN can go to either motor, if it's fair. But..who knows what IS fair!!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HPMike] #1262592
07/16/12 07:17 PM
07/16/12 07:17 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

All he did was.

-Install headers.
-A Holley Red pump.
-A Racer Brown solid cam
-4.88 gears.

The Hemi really had it..

MB

Mike, all that your friend did was "UNCORK" the power output of the HEMI. It (Street Hemi) was ALREADY fortified and de-tuned (set up for lesser
power output) for street use from the factory. Compared to a 440 6 pack and 4-bbl Magnum motors it's a production "race piece" for the street, along with the Stage I 413, Stage II 413/426 and the legendary Stage III 426
MaxWedge motor (dubbed:"The Orange Monster") and the ACTUAL 426 Race HEMI of '64. Umm..Hemi power
pulling through a (now vintage) Rat Roaster intake to a 4speed and 4.88 gears on stock HEMI springs, no snubber. Any problems off the line hooking up?

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #1262593
07/16/12 08:36 PM
07/16/12 08:36 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
There is an "easy" way to settle this discussion if there is a millionare (or 2) out there looking to drop about 250K into a fun shootout.

4 engines total, dyno sessions to maximize the combinations and I'll supply the car put em' in, to avoid the "we don't race dyno" arguement.

2 engines with stock blocks, heads and strokes......anything else goes. Max Wedge head vs HEMI head.

2 engines with aftermarket blocks (4.800BS), best straight head for the wedge (raw PSO) and best conventional HEMI head (raw Millennium).

Billet intakes, dual doms, dry sump, lobe relocation, anything and everything......max N/A on all 4 engines.

Have two top builders assemble the 2 engines they specialize in.....say Best Machine for the wedge and Ray Barton for the HEMI.

Come on millionares......step up and let's settle this age old question.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: jim sciortino] #1262594
07/16/12 08:46 PM
07/16/12 08:46 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
If'n it was gonna be a wedge, I'd have to go with Jim Hale, or Dan Dvorak...

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: RSNOMO] #1262595
07/16/12 08:57 PM
07/16/12 08:57 PM
long island NY
A
Ari440 Offline
master
Ari440  Offline
master
A

long island NY
I like the fact that you are trying to compare a wedge to a hemi

two diffrent motors

1.39 9.85 - 137 mph
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: RSNOMO] #1262596
07/16/12 08:58 PM
07/16/12 08:58 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

If'n it was gonna be a wedge, I'd have to go with Jim Hale, or Dan Dvorak...

I have no preference, but Best Machine knows those PSO heads pretty well.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: Ari440] #1262597
07/16/12 09:07 PM
07/16/12 09:07 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

I like the fact that you are trying to compare a wedge to a hemi

two diffrent motors

I'm not.....I know quite well just how different the requirements are for a good HEMI build and I know how easy it is to apply conventional wedge style procedures that turn HEMIs into toilet bowls.

I have a W-8 and a HEMI and had a 440-1. They all run/ran fine.......I like em' all.

I just think a shootout like this would be a ton-o-fun for the MOPAR crowd. Albeit a bit pricey.

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16