glendora, ca.
D
Deepockets Offline OP
super stock
Deepockets  Offline OP
super stock
D

glendora, ca.
holy cow i cant believe how hard it was for me to figure out how to do this. any how here's the video of the ladder bars that i thought was not having any separation. please comment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oO0KXxkXLlE

Re: finnally rear suspension video [Re: Deepockets] #1254166
06/20/12 02:02 AM
06/20/12 02:02 AM
Alberta Canada
StrokerAspen Offline
top fuel
StrokerAspen  Offline
top fuel

Alberta Canada
I'd say things are looking alright. There isn't a ton of vertical movement. How does the car feel? Is it 60'ing where you want it to be? What is the tire size? Race weight? Tire pressure?

-Kenny

Re: finnally rear suspension video [Re: StrokerAspen] #1254167
06/20/12 02:20 AM
06/20/12 02:20 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
How tight are the extension setting on those shocks? BTW nice shocks

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: finnally rear suspension video [Re: Al_Alguire] #1254168
06/20/12 07:57 AM
06/20/12 07:57 AM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
I Live Here
gregsdart  Offline
I Live Here

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
To get an idea of what is happening, go frame by frame if possible. It sure looks to me like it is turning the tire hard at the hit. The Hoosier lettering on the right rear blurs out instantly.
If it were mine, I would get the front very loose with LOTS of travel, with a rubber stop built into the travel limiter. for when you start to shorten it up. It won't unload the rear tires as easily when it hits the stop. Soften the rear extension to about 1 /4 of total control or less and video some more. At that point if the car can get weight transfer, the tire should stick then spin. If you can get the car to do that, then tighten the rear extension till the 60 fts quit improving.
If it still won't leave without initial spin, or you can't stop it from spinning down track (one or two feet) then something else is amiss. Too stiff on springs, either end. Front shocks too stiff or front end not loose enough.
Once the car leaves hard or shows it needs preload to leave straight, adjust that. Then you can move to the front and see if there is any tuning needed there, like to slow/reduce wheelstands or soften landings.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: finnally rear suspension video [Re: gregsdart] #1254169
06/20/12 08:31 AM
06/20/12 08:31 AM
glendora, ca.
D
Deepockets Offline OP
super stock
Deepockets  Offline OP
super stock
D

glendora, ca.
the extension is on full loose it, the compression is set in the middle. springs are 120lbs. the front shocks can be loosened some more. i normaly don"t make adjustments during practice, so i'll tweak some next i take it out. i knew i'd get some educated eyes here. i really don't have a clue on how to set suspension. this pict was the first run and it spun so bad i aborted the run. tires were at 11 psi. Al, sorry you did'nt make it , i was looking foward to you coming down. i did fair pretty good that day, went out in the simi's. one round away from the $620.00 pot. oh well, next time

Re: finnally rear suspension video [Re: gregsdart] #1254170
06/20/12 08:35 AM
06/20/12 08:35 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

To get an idea of what is happening, go frame by frame if possible. It sure looks to me like it is turning the tire hard at the hit. The Hoosier lettering on the right rear blurs out instantly.
If it were mine, I would get the front very loose with LOTS of travel, with a rubber stop built into the travel limiter. for when you start to shorten it up. It won't unload the rear tires as easily when it hits the stop. Soften the rear extension to about 1 /4 of total control or less and video some more. At that point if the car can get weight transfer, the tire should stick then spin. If you can get the car to do that, then tighten the rear extension till the 60 fts quit improving.
If it still won't leave without initial spin, or you can't stop it from spinning down track (one or two feet) then something else is amiss. Too stiff on springs, either end. Front shocks too stiff or front end not loose enough.
Once the car leaves hard or shows it needs preload to leave straight, adjust that. Then you can move to the front and see if there is any tuning needed there, like to slow/reduce wheelstands or soften landings.

looks like you dont get much separation
at all, which is strange on a ladder bar... loosen
the rear shocks.... work on the front end

Re: finnally rear suspension video [Re: Deepockets] #1254171
06/20/12 09:14 AM
06/20/12 09:14 AM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

the extension is on full loose it, the compression is set in the middle. springs are 120lbs. the front shocks can be loosened some more. i normaly don"t make adjustments during practice, so i'll tweak some next i take it out. i knew i'd get some educated eyes here. i really don't have a clue on how to set suspension. this pict was the first run and it spun so bad i aborted the run. tires were at 11 psi. Al, sorry you did'nt make it , i was looking foward to you coming down. i did fair pretty good that day, went out in the simi's. one round away from the $620.00 pot. oh well, next time

"tires were at 11#.." I have the same set-up and problems as you do. I have been running the Hoosier 11.5/29.5W/15. I have been playing with the air pressure and my tires like more air. I run 13# and they do better. I do not really like the Hoosiers. I believe that is part of my/our problem, but I can't find any Phoenix tires to buy. Also, my local track is not very well prepped and doesn't really hook good till the sun gets off it in the evening..then the best I have been able to 60' is in the 1.45 area...

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: finnally rear suspension video [Re: CHAPPER] #1254172
06/20/12 04:20 PM
06/20/12 04:20 PM
California, USA!!!
W
WheelsUp73 Offline
enthusiast
WheelsUp73  Offline
enthusiast
W

California, USA!!!
Here is a vid of our 73 dart, to compare to your video. I ran my shocks on #3. I now have double adjustables and I run them on 2 for extension and 6 on compression. My car does 1.33 in the 60 foot and 1.45 on the rear tires in 60. I run 12.5 psi in the tires
http://youtu.be/2sJCAsyA4ZM
http://youtu.be/j7EhgdcwmIE
http://youtu.be/69lAmYpoVJ4

Re: finnally rear suspension video [Re: Deepockets] #1254173
06/20/12 05:49 PM
06/20/12 05:49 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well a quick comment. I woudl try loosening up the sxtension so so it will hit it quicker/harder. Also would put compression in the middle somewhere to start. Also the comments on loosening the front end travel are always good. Find a happy place and adjust back from there on the front.

On our small tire car we use shock setting to compensate for track conditions. The car is very violent with the ladder bars at the hit but on a marginal track we have them as much as 5 from full stiff on extension trying to plant the tire. Use the compression setting to keep it planted once it is but not to soft. Keep chipping away at it.

Re: finnally rear suspension video [Re: Al_Alguire] #1254174
06/20/12 08:38 PM
06/20/12 08:38 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
I really enjoy these threads. I have been having trouble getting my car to hook up like I think it should. I have watched this type thread and everybody is telling everybody else, that you need double adjustable shocks. I figured everybody else is probably right. I bite the bullet,,buy $500.00 Afco double adjustable rear shocks. They are a good/pretty looking piece. I install and start out with both adjustments at '0' or the softest compression and the softest extention. I have adjusted the compression tighter, but have been leaving the extention LOOSE. I have tried them both in the middle of the 'clicks',,,I don't see any, or VERY little change. I see people on here talking "one click" on this and "one click" on that,,I am calling BS on the 'one' click.. I haven't been to a track yet that I could hook consistently on except Magnolia. There it was fine.. ,,just alittle TOO far away from home.

To give some info on car: 3300+ A-body, stock front end, CE 90/10 shocks on front, with 318 torsion bars, 2x3 box frame to rear, ladder bars/coil overs w/120# springs, with diagonal link, 8 point cage, 493 RB, 727, 4.10 Dana. Bests so far 10.40@130+ and 6.43@107 (the 1/8 times were in REALLY good air last Fall at Clay City..about 40* all day Saturday!!

Don't mean to high-jack,,just putting some comparison out here,,

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: finnally rear suspension video [Re: CHAPPER] #1254175
06/20/12 08:50 PM
06/20/12 08:50 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

I really enjoy these threads. I have been having trouble getting my car to hook up like I think it should. I have watched this type thread and everybody is telling everybody else, that you need double adjustable shocks. I figured everybody else is probably right. I bite the bullet,,buy $500.00 Afco double adjustable rear shocks. They are a good/pretty looking piece. I install and start out with both adjustments at '0' or the softest compression and the softest extention. I have adjusted the compression tighter, but have been leaving the extention LOOSE. I have tried them both in the middle of the 'clicks',,,I don't see any, or VERY little change. I see people on here talking "one click" on this and "one click" on that,,I am calling BS on the 'one' click.. I haven't been to a track yet that I could hook consistently on except Magnolia. There it was fine.. ,,just alittle TOO far away from home.

To give some info on car: 3300+ A-body, stock front end, CE 90/10 shocks on front, with 318 torsion bars, 2x3 box frame to rear, ladder bars/coil overs w/120# springs, with diagonal link, 8 point cage, 493 RB, 727, 4.10 Dana. Bests so far [Email]10.40@130+[/Email] and [Email]6.43@107[/Email] (the 1/8 times were in REALLY good air last Fall at Clay City..about 40* all day Saturday!!

Don't mean to high-jack,,just putting some comparison out here,,

Try the extension alot tighter.. dont be afraid
to run the extreme on them
EDIT
I would get rid of the front shocks... never seen
a good CE shock... plus... get the front LOOSE

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 06/20/12 08:52 PM.
Re: finnally rear suspension video [Re: CHAPPER] #1254176
06/20/12 09:30 PM
06/20/12 09:30 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Chapper trust me once you get your program dialed in a single click WILL make a difference. Unless something is wrong with the shoock or the springs are to heavy and not allowing the shock to do its job..ON both my cars a single click means something...If you are making any power at all you will need the extension fairly tight on a ladder bar car as they are pretty violent at the hit. You need to control that extnesion rate as to not bury the tire. Rear quarter video is by far the best shots to see whats going on there. Although I like the underneath video and I think we will put our GoPro there this weekend.

Re: finnally rear suspension video [Re: Al_Alguire] #1254177
06/20/12 10:18 PM
06/20/12 10:18 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Yeah the quarter view of the launch tells 90% of